Kids For Cash - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Kids For Cash

Old 06-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,134

Kids For Cash

Anyone seen or heard about this movie and scandal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

http://kidsforcashthemovie.com/

Holy corruption Batman.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4,852

Re: Kids For Cash

Wow

Advertisement

John
Old 06-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Remodeling GC

So my wife and I watched this last night. Infuriating at the least.

2400 kids imprisoned average of 4.5 years for fighting in school, swearing etc...

Both judges convicted one for 28 years and the other for 17 years.

Hopefully they will get their due in prison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,552

Yep. Happened in my hometown.

I worked for the company that paid the finders fees. I also worked on one of the prisons.

No wonder they didn't supply us with things like Tapcons and basic safety gear. There was no money for it!
Old 06-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Remodeling GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Shepstone View Post
Yep. Happened in my hometown.

I worked for the company that paid the finders fees. I also worked on one of the prisons.

No wonder they didn't supply us with things like Tapcons and basic safety gear. There was no money for it!
Man or man what a story. Defunding the public detention center so they can build a private one!!

Was there anyone in the community defending the judges? I wanted punch both of them in the face with my 20 lb sledge over and over.

My wife couldn't watch some of it especially the aftermath of the kids.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,624

That practice is simply disgusting.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,552

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjob
Man or man what a story. Defunding the public detention center so they can build a private one!! Was there anyone in the community defending the judges? I wanted punch both of them in the face with my 20 lb sledge over and over. My wife couldn't watch some of it especially the aftermath of the kids.
I don't think the judges had many supporters.

I don't mind the whole "kickback" idea. In that, if you send some work my way, there might be a little something in it for you. But what these guys did was heinous. To screw up kids lives just for some cash was beyond anything reasonable.

Now don't forget, some of these kids did deserve to go to jail, but to be sending kids away for truancy, petty theft, not listening to their parents, etc was just an egregious lack of common sense on their part.

A lot of people stood behind Rob, because he has had an overall positive impact in our area. But I think he had to go away to keep up appearances, at least. He's not doing hard time, by any stretch.

This story is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to shady, corrupt, underhanded dealings in our area.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: home improvements
Rewards Points: 502

JR,
The whole Scranton/Wilkes Barre area is corrupt. Been like that for a very long time. I grew up and lived outside of Scranton for 32 years.

As far as the kickbacks in business that is one of the things I dead set against.
That is just too shady the old "scratch my back I'll scratch yours".
See my top comment.
The Following User Says Thank You to mski For This Useful Post:
Jaws (06-20-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
The Dude

Trade: home improvement
Rewards Points: 1,946

What's really infuriating is that this isn't and shouldn't be shocking at this time to anyone. Government corruption has become the standard, not the exception. Its not just money grabbing anymore, it extends to taking peoples freedom. It has for a long time.

So is anybody genuinely shocked that this happened? I wish I was but as disgusting as these crimes are there is zero shock value. "More government corruption? Big surprise there ..."

I hope these judges enjoy the stay at the kind of facility they so lightly threw peoples kids into.

Advertisement