Job Site Etiquette - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Job Site Etiquette

Old 01-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 18

Job Site Etiquette

I've been working for the company I am subcontracted with now for nearly 8 months and I wanted to get opinions of people new and experienced in the trades so that I can have a better idea of how to approach this dilemma I seemed to be faced in.

The short version is that the people I work with (some of whom I consider good friends) are just down right disrespectful in their attitude and behavior towards the work they do and their presence on the job site. There are people who have been working for the owner for a decade, and people who are more green than I am. So I ask, are the following things that shouldn't be brought up to the owner, and if they should be how do I approach it so that I can the desired outcome.

1. Padding Hours

The past month I have noticed it more than ever. People claiming to have worked 10-12 hour days, only to come to the job site the following day and the 'task' they set out to accomplish was not finished. It cuts into my bosses bottom line and effects my ability to earn more.

2. Cleanliness

I am far from a saint. I've gone the better part of the month wearing the 2 or 3 sets of clothes. That is not what I am talking about. I'm talking about leaving food and drink containers everywhere and not properly cleaning up after themselves. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people rip boards down while there is a dust collector in the same room.

3. Smoking

Need I say more? I smoked on and off for a few years and even when I did, it was never habitual. I am around 4-5 people sometimes that are just puffing and puffing all day.

4. Music

I love listening to the radio. I don't love listening to your break up music or sullen heart songs. If we are going to suffer with whats on the radio, we do it together.

Are these impractical expectations for the people I work with? I make bread crumbs and feel as though my own productivity is being stifled. How do I solve this issue?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #2
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 3,530

Re: Job Site Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
I've been working for the company I am subcontracted with now for nearly 8 months and I wanted to get opinions of people new and experienced in the trades so that I can have a better idea of how to approach this dilemma I seemed to be faced in.

The short version is that the people I work with (some of whom I consider good friends) are just down right disrespectful in their attitude and behavior towards the work they do and their presence on the job site. There are people who have been working for the owner for a decade, and people who are more green than I am. So I ask, are the following things that shouldn't be brought up to the owner, and if they should be how do I approach it so that I can the desired outcome.

1. Padding Hours

The past month I have noticed it more than ever. People claiming to have worked 10-12 hour days, only to come to the job site the following day and the 'task' they set out to accomplish was not finished. It cuts into my bosses bottom line and effects my ability to earn more.

2. Cleanliness

I am far from a saint. I've gone the better part of the month wearing the 2 or 3 sets of clothes. That is not what I am talking about. I'm talking about leaving food and drink containers everywhere and not properly cleaning up after themselves. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people rip boards down while there is a dust collector in the same room.

3. Smoking

Need I say more? I smoked on and off for a few years and even when I did, it was never habitual. I am around 4-5 people sometimes that are just puffing and puffing all day.

4. Music

I love listening to the radio. I don't love listening to your break up music or sullen heart songs. If we are going to suffer with whats on the radio, we do it together.

Are these impractical expectations for the people I work with? I make bread crumbs and feel as though my own productivity is being stifled. How do I solve this issue?
shoot the radio
stop bumming cigs from me
We'll clean up the fast food wrappers when you stop wearing that gay-assed cologne
let your boss run his company

Advertisement

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (01-24-2019), DoubleTrouble (01-23-2019), Fixed (01-25-2019), griz (01-23-2019), hdavis (01-23-2019), pinwheel (01-25-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,676

Quote:

1. Padding Hours

2. Cleanliness

3. Smoking

4. Music

everything you mentioned is job site management.

who ever is running the job needs to kick some ass.

you should clean up your own mess, do what is expected of you and if the working conditions are not to your liking move on....
Deckhead (01-24-2019), DoubleTrouble (01-23-2019), Fixed (01-25-2019), KAP (01-23-2019), pinwheel (01-25-2019), SmallTownGuy (01-23-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,081

Don't rock the owner's boat. Sounds like he/she is fine with it.

I'd have an eye out for something else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
DoubleTrouble (01-23-2019), Fixed (01-25-2019), SmallTownGuy (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 08:35 PM   #5

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 18

I appreciate the advice. Didn't quite understand the "gay-assed cologne" statement, but I'll take what I can get. Meeting with the job site manager to talk about this stuff. Our boss isn't aware of the some of these situations.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
everything you mentioned is job site management.

who ever is running the job needs to kick some ass.

you should clean up your own mess, do what is expected of you and if the working conditions are not to your liking move on....
nothing left to say
Old 01-23-2019, 09:25 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 898

Quote:
Meeting with the job site manager to talk about this stuff. Our boss isn't aware of the some of these situations.
Welcome to our world. If you're going into a meeting with the job site manager to complain about how he runs things, be prepared to be potentially looking for a new job tomorrow afternoon.

We all get what you are saying but that's just how this business works. MANY personalities and crap attitudes to deal with.
Calidecks (01-24-2019), Fixed (01-25-2019), hdavis (01-23-2019), Jaws (01-24-2019), pinwheel (01-25-2019), Robie (01-23-2019), SmallTownGuy (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #8
Pro

And [email protected] managers, honestly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-23-2019), Mordekyle (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #9
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 12,788

Lead by example.

Little stuff like cleanliness can really make a difference in job site moral.

Don't be a snitch, because the boss knows his guys better than you do, especially if they've been around so long. My coworker and I were able to successfully break other guys of bad smoking habits and bad cleanup behavior. The site should be vacuumed or broom swept every single day. Do it yourself. It won't take long. Others will notice. Quality of work will improve.

No idea what to tell you about the radio other than the rules of engagement around here seem to be that whoever brings their radio to the site and turns it on first gets a say, but you're allowed to give them **** if it's way off the reservation.
Classic rock is standard.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #10
Pro

Now that I think of it..."jobsite etiquette" is kind of a funny word combo for construction neanderthals. But I applaud your concerns.

"Rules of engagement" works better.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
Rio (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:03 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 658

8 months? Who are you to complain? If you don't like it leave.
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
Jaws (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #12
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 12,788

He wasn't complaining. He was concerned that his crew was not working to industry standards and was seeking advice from his peers on how to best correct the issues.

Pick up their garbage for them. Do it in front of them. Then look them in the eyes and say, "I'm not mad.... I'm just disappointed."
Old 01-23-2019, 11:02 PM   #13
The Sheriff

Rewards Points: 5,740

First this isnt off topic

Second it's up to the dude signing the front of the check. I don't care about smoking, put it in the can or I'll run your ass off

The rest - not on my sites.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Fixed (01-25-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:02 PM   #14
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
He wasn't complaining. He was concerned that his crew was not working to industry standards and was seeking advice from his peers on how to best correct the issues.

Pick up their garbage for them. Do it in front of them. Then look them in the eyes and say, "I'm not mad.... I'm just disappointed."
Or just say pick that **** up or we got a problem.

John
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (01-24-2019), rrk (01-24-2019), TxElectrician (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:38 PM   #15
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 5,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Or just say pick that **** up or we got a problem.

Concise, quick... and no room for misunderstanding.

I like it.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:40 PM   #16
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,836

“I think you may have dropped something, but I picked it up you” sometimes works.

Shame has its place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2019, 11:56 PM   #17
Fire up the BBQ

Rewards Points: 2,676

piss poor job site management/supervision, or lack of it, can & does lead to many problems.

pretty much everything the op pointed out.

it should not be incumbent on the op to check the crew on poor performance or behavior.

that is the super or leads responsibility.

i'd be good with the op making a comment like "hey clean up your chit", but to make it confrontational with the "we got a problem" is going to lead to a fight. this will not end well for anyone and certainly will not look professional to anyone who happens to see it.

now as for the site looking professional:

trash is picked up after breaks and lunch.

debris is picked up daily.

if music becomes controversial it then becomes my call.

music will NEVER be loud enough so that should i walk up we can not have a conversation.

THERE IS NO SMOKING OR CHEWING ON THE JOB....PERIOD!!!!

like JAWS said, dude who signs the front of the check makes the rules....

get it on or move on....

i ain't running a counselling group or mediation session...
Fixed (01-25-2019), Gumshoe (01-24-2019), MarkJames (01-24-2019), MN_general (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:30 AM   #18
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 20,064

When I was a young laborer for a large commercial GC, the Super, (my boss) told me to take this trash can and put it right in the middle of those slobs over there eating lunch.

Can't stand lunch garbage being thrown on the floor or the site. It's been a pet peeve of mine since. Fortunately I have a good bunch of guys now it's never an issue. Little different when you have the full backing of the job Super. I'd have no problem as an employee jumping someone's **** for throwing garbage on the ground. Not to help my boss as much as Im not okay with working around slobs.

Mike.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:52 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post

What? As an employee it didn't take me 8 months to figure out that I didn't care for the way the company operated. I sure as hell had no intention to stay after I confronted the owner with my "complaints" I've done it a few times but it was as I was walking out the door.

The OP said he's making "bread crumbs" don't expect a raise afterwards. Seriously "I'm not mad....just disappointed" the response if a newbie said that should be "We don't think you're a good fit for us, we'll have to let you go". Bye.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:09 AM   #20
The Sheriff

I never put up with anyone thinking we were picking up their trash. - even as a hand. Unless the dude was above me/us obviously I just told them to pick their **** up

Been a long time since i wasnt in charge of atleast a few guys, but never been in a fight on a jobsite and I've said a lot harder stuff than pick your **** up. When you leave zero room for misinterpretation it makes it pretty hard for that guy to forget but you aren't going to put up with his s***. Which leads to less stuff down the road and cleaner job sites.

Busting their balls with the crew about it was another good tactic. "Oh Tom thinks he's special and the boss has a little clean up fairy to follow his ads around and clean up" ect... worked well. Same for when they didn't bring the right tools ect..

Advertisement

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (01-24-2019), pinwheel (01-25-2019)