Old 06-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 2,919

Irony....Lots And Lots Of Irony

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23606...g-windows.html
Quote:
Oops! Tim Cook tweets photo of Mac production line running Windows

Well, there’s apparently one good thing Microsoft’s Windows is good at: running the software necessary to manufacture Apple’s Mac computers.

And the messenger of this information? Apple chief executive Tim Cook himself. On Thursday, Cook tweeted a photo of himself touring Apple’s Austin, Texas production line where the Apple Mac Pro is manufactured:

Watching the Mac Pro come together in Austin yesterday,thanks to a team loaded with American manufacturing expertise. pic.twitter.com/5LcCOFIVgC
— Tim Cook (@tim_cook) June 6, 2014

The problem? Right behind Cook is an iMac—and it’s clearly running Windows.

Cook apparently didn’t notice his glitch. This could be a case of Twitter naivete, as Cook only has 64 tweets to his name, and he may not realize the full impact of his Twitter megaphone. His photos are favorited and retweeted thousands of times, but just a few people noticed the Windows issue. Those people, however, began commenting upon it.

“Made in America, with Microsoft Windows (look closely),” Steven Webster tweeted.

“@PeterrWLFC @ryandolan123 Macs are made on Windows which then allows android to be made on the mac. ” user RBXcmn65 added.

It wasn’t totally clear whether the PC in question was running Windows XP or Windows 7, although most commenters were leaning toward Windows XP. It also wasn’t clear what application it was running. It’s certainly possible that Windows was being used to run electronic design automation (EDA) software, or some other embedded analysis program that Apple’s developer base has passed over.

What is clear, however, is that Apple’s airtight PR machine sprung a leak, and right from the very top. Ironically, Cook himself took some potshots at Microsoft during the Apple’s WWDC speech, mocking Microsoft for poor customer adoption of Windows 8 relative to OS X Mavericks.

“This is the fastest adoption ever of any PC operating system in history,” Cook said of Mavericks.

Maybe so, but Apple’s assembly line could certainly use a copy.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 12:09 AM   #2
The Dude

Trade: home improvement
Rewards Points: 1,946

Re: Irony....Lots And Lots Of Irony

Apple at one time had a unique product. Now it's the same hardware as a windows box with a UNIX operating system. It's nothing special at all - just a name, with a more limited software base at a premium price.

If I want commodity hardware with a UNIX OS, for what you spend on a Mac you can buy a BEAST of a system, and slap a Linux distro on it. Debian is pretty sweet ...

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
The Dude

The Mac systems probably just don't have the software available to do what those machines are doing. I bet you could find Linux software that does the trick though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 15,632

All recent intel macs can run windows, so no surprise there.

I have windows PC's, mac, and Linux. I mostly use Debian system for past 15-20 years.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:29 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 15,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalpierre View Post
The Mac systems probably just don't have the software available to do what those machines are doing. I bet you could find Linux software that does the trick though.
some specialty hardware vendors only code their products under windows, that's just the way it is.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #6
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1911 View Post
some specialty hardware vendors only code their products under windows, that's just the way it is.
Yeah, because of the user base, and development costs.

Let's say you build a piece of hardware, and you've got to write software to control it, but you can only do it once. Are you going to write it for an OS that 80% of the worlds users run? Now you consider the demographics of who your target is - engineering users ... now you find that 95% of the users use the first OS, and only 2% use the other - so in your demographic the disparity is even higher.

It just doesn't make sense to write the software for Mac.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:58 AM   #7
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1911 View Post
All recent intel macs can run windows, so no surprise there.

I have windows PC's, mac, and Linux. I mostly use Debian system for past 15-20 years.
I've flip flopped from Windows to Linux many times. There are some apps you just can't get for Linux. Now that there is good virtualization, and hardware support I've considered running Debian with a windows virtual machine for those apps. Especially since most of the apps I use now run on both.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:02 AM   #8
The Dude

Macs are just a toy system though. They don't even do what they specialize in all that well. The only thing it's got going for it is that it's pain free to set up apple gear to work with other apple gear.

But iTunes sucks, the hardware is mediocre, and even things Apple was renouned for - graphic design and music production - a Windows box does more for the dollar.

Advertisement