I Am Feeling Old... - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

I Am Feeling Old...

Old 02-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

I Am Feeling Old...

Lately, I've been feeling like I jumped out of a moving car. I know tiling isn't the easiest trade, but recently I've been more sore than normal.

I've never really been one to exercise but I have always tried to eat properly. Maybe age is starting to catch up with me and simply eating well isn't enough anymore

That and oh yeah, my son turns 22 today.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: stone mason
Rewards Points: 152

Re: I Am Feeling Old...

Its creeping up on you.
My daughter is 26.
You'll get used to it.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to stonelayer For This Useful Post:
angus242 (02-23-2010)
Old 02-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 836

I know the feeling man. I turn 46 in April & just don't have the go I had a few short years ago. This time of year is always tough on me because we work sporadically, but still go balls to the wall, even if we haven't worked for 2 weeks. By June or July, when our tails are on fire, my stamina will be back & I won't hurt as bad.

Last edited by pinwheel; 02-23-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Angus - just how old are you? I just turned 60. Had a hard time with my knees about 10 years ago. My doctor had me take Viox for 12 months, one a day.

Cured Haven't had knee pain since. Just thought I'd mention that, 'cause I know tileing is hard on the knees. I've got a hardwood floor to lay next week, and my back is already hurting.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: bricklayer/stonemason
Rewards Points: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post
Angus - just how old are you? I just turned 60. Had a hard time with my knees about 10 years ago. My doctor had me take Viox for 12 months, one a day.

Cured Haven't had knee pain since. Just thought I'd mention that, 'cause I know tileing is hard on the knees. I've got a hardwood floor to lay next week, and my back is already hurting.

what dose the viox do?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Carpe Diem

I'm 42 but my knees have been shot since the age of 18. I was considering a career in hockey as a youngster but the knee thing ruled that out. Now I have been living without cartilage in both knees for over 20 years.

I'm not a drug taker. Maybe I've had Advil once in the past year. I've always relied on my body to heal itself. Like I said, with my food intake and the supplements I use, things have been fine until the start of winter.

I think once spring gets here, I'll become move active. I used to ride mountain bikes quite a bit but 2009 was the first year I scaled back on a lot of my physical activities, just from being busy with work.

Maybe this is the middle age thing I never thought I'd go through
Old 02-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 399

I feel ya Angus. I have a kid that just turned 20. I am 43 and have been framing full time since I was 17. I have never had serious physical issues, but the knees are definitely starting to show the wear and tear. I have given up playing basketball, as that also put a lot of miles on the knees, feet, and ankles. I have always been physically fit but wear and tear doesn't care how fit you are. I have never taken any vitamins or supplements. What are the pros and cons that you guys have noticed in regard to taking them or not taking them. My wife takes a few things, and quite fankly I think most of them are a waste of money.

Easy Gibson
Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
Pro

have same cartllage issue with one knee...cant imagine 2 :O(
..have been off most of last year and just starting to get back at it...
l take 1500 mg of Glucosamine a day..helps....also last time l was in doc mentioned a lube they inject into the cartilage area to help...he says it helps///will look into it this summer..srry but cant remember what he called it...mayby someone here will know..imagine theres a few banged up knees about
Old 02-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
Carpe Diem

Well I don't want to come off as some hippy, tree hugging lunatic. I have experimented with my diet for almost 10 years. It has taken a long time to fine tune what works best for me.

Basically, I try to remove man-made chemicals from the food I eat. No high fructose corn syrup, no red dye (any number), no sugar substitutes and no phenylalanine. I also stopped using non-stick cookware and typical plastic storage containers. They contain materials that if leached into foods just aren't good for you.

For supplements, I just keep it simple. No cure-all pills
I make a daily shake or smoothie, whatever you want to call it. I fill it with usually 3-5 kinds of fruit. Always bananas and wild blueberries. Maybe some yogurt. A smidge of those liquid veggie drinks. A mild liquid multivitamin. I mean mild because I don't buy anything that contains 10,000% of daily recommended values. That's just insane. Sometimes I'll throw in some liquid calcium. I always use flax seed oil. Top it off with some cranberry juice. Gotta keep the pisser happy!

BTW, liquid supplements are much easier for the body to process. I've been told by a nutritionist that if any supplement says to take with food, it's pretty much useless.

Finally, I take digestive enzymes. Basically, it's a chewable papaya pill. But I know they work for me. For one, I've had basic outdoor allergies my entire life. Nothing ever helped me either. I used to get shots twice a week as a child. Even as an adult, claritin or similar never did any good. After adjusting my food intake as described above and taking the enzymes, my allergies have disappeared. Also, verging on TMI, my farts no longer stink! Helping your body actually digest what you eat is a good thing!

But like was already said, wear & tear doesn't care!!!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
Pro

Viox is a drug which helps the body repair cartilage. I did the research on it, and in the case studies you need to take it for a year for it to do it's job.

This is a prescription drug of course, so check with your doctor. But it did wonders for my knees. They used to ache all the time, hurt just getting out of bed in the morning.

Absolutely no issues now. Amazing
Old 02-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Viox is a drug which helps the body repair cartilage. I did the research on it, and in the case studies you need to take it for a year for it to do it's job.

This is a prescription drug of course, so check with your doctor. But it did wonders for my knees. They used to ache all the time, hurt just getting out of bed in the morning.

thanx..will look into it
Old 02-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
Pro

dont know if youve seen this or not....still researchin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rofecoxib

not alot good out there being said in regards
Viox...this cant be good...

Last edited by CanCritter; 02-23-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

Quote:

If nothing hurts......

I know I'm still dreaming.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
If nothing hurts......

I know I'm still dreaming.

Cancritter - yes I've heard the nay sayers/ bad reviews about viox. All I can say is it truley helped me. Everyone is different. Results will vary I suppose. Check with your doctor.

Like I said, this was about 10yrs ago, so there may be better, newer drugs out now.

Just posting my experience with it. I had no ill side effects at all.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,310

Yeah yeah yeah I hear you

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Five Star (02-23-2010)
Old 02-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #16
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,250

As far as knees are concerned, mine are not to bad.
I have been roofing, not just selling or supervising but actualy roofing for 32 years. Just climbing around and such can wear you down.
Anyway, over 20 years ago my knees had fluid on them and I was wore out due to piece work with new construction. After the fluid went down I started wearing neoprene knee supports under my jeans., both knees. Now,at 50, I dont have knee problems, other problems yes, but not knee. Best thing I ever did for my knees was wearing the supports at work.

Tiling has to be hard, not just on your knees but your whole body. Small movements, crawling around.......
Old 02-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter,Deck Builder, Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

BRAVO
The Following User Says Thank You to Five Star For This Useful Post:
greg24k (02-23-2010)
Old 02-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 474

i'm just getting tired of being in business...been at it 30 years. it's not near as much fun as it was even 10 years ago. we've always done snow removal in the winter to supplement income....i've come to DETEST it...there's nothing about a ******g snowflake that's pretty...there's nothing about a blown hydraulic hose that's pretty...there's nothing about an excavation you can't get dewatered and have to work in water knee deep that's pretty...now i'll just go sit in the corner and cry...bbl
Old 02-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #19
Pro

dayexco - just buy some new equipment, you'll feel better.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: General Contractor/Handicap accessibility
Rewards Points: 150

My youngest is 34 and I've spent the last 2 days installing a hardwood floor. By the time I got home yesterday I could barely stand up straight. Climbed on my inversion table and hung upside down for 8 minutes and today I had no pain at all in my back. Today its the knees............ Sucks qualifying for AARP

Advertisement