Hurricane Michael - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Hurricane Michael

Old 10-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 6,812

Hurricane Michael

This one has potential to be pretty bad. It's moving at a decent speed and is starting to gain structure. That's not good. No one is reporting on this but it looks like the panhandle is going to get pounded. Could be a solid 3 at landfall.

Good news bad news scenario. Good news is that area everything east of Panama City is relatively sparesly populated. Bad news is the area isn't that well prepared for this kind of thing being as it's old and not up to V-zone stuff that the newer and coastal cities are. Ivan slammed into them and crushed the area a decade or so ago.

Prayers for some wind sheer. Anyhow, pay attention to this one and panhandle people, be careful, this could be a dangerous one.
Rio (10-09-2018), superseal (10-09-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Essential Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 18,917

Re: Hurricane Michael

Per weather channel this morning, another "...potential to be one of the worst..." for that part of the panhandle.

I have visions of reporters rolling like tumbleweeds along the beaches.

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 2,400

Wanna bet Cooper doesn't stand in a ditch?

― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (08-25-2019), eyeinstine (10-10-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
Per weather channel this morning, another "...potential to be one of the worst..." for that part of the panhandle.

I have visions of reporters rolling like tumbleweeds along the beaches.
Where this one is at it does have potential to be a pretty bad one. It's about the only place other than the carribean where it could gain and stay strong going towards land. It's movement is pretty quick which makes it possible to sustain itself onto land. Traditionally hurricanes are stronger in the earlier stages and then break up. Sometimes they'll reform and get strong again. The strongest ever storm was in the southern Carribean and registered some stupid number of millibars like 907mb.

Not a good scenario right now. We can hope westerlies dip down and tear it up a bit. A cat 1 or 2 in that area won't be all that bad, some trees down but won't be near as bad as a slow moving 3 would be.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
Artist and not a curator

Remember Charlie or Andrew even Harvey last year. Not necessarily where they form but the strengthening. People worry a bunch about big massive strong storms while they're out over the water and those get all the attention. Rightfully so to worry about them because there's always the chance they maintain the strength and cause devastaion.

These late Gulf storms though can stregthen very quickly. Charlie looked like it was going to land as a 2 for a long time than a few hours before it hit it turned into a 4. Andrew was a 1 or a 2 and jumped to a 5 over the course of 24 hrs. Harvey I believe was the same.

The one thing that we have going for us is it's pretty late in the season and the westerlies should be dipping down a little more which should keep it from super strengthening. Hopefully.

This is one that could sneak up on everyone though and be a bad one.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
The Sheriff

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 15,228

Looks rough. Gaining strength the weather channel says

John
Old 10-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #7
Artist and not a curator

This is not looking good guys. Here's the low down from the Hurricane nerds. Wind shear is actually decreasing and the storm is moving faster north staying west longer than it was supposed to changing the track a bit. If it hits just to the west of Panama City it will be a bad situation. The eye is gaining significant structure and the wind shear is expected to decrease over the next 24 hours making it highly possible it goes to land as a strong 3, even a possible 4.

This could be a major wind and water event for Panama City which has a lot of water that can be picked up and surged inland. Moved farther west then it was before which puts it back into high population density. If it moves fast enough, places as far north as Augusta might get Cat 1 or 2 hurricane winds.

Look for it to shrink in size, if it shrinks in size it will get significantly stronger. Then it will also pick up movement speed as well. If that happens it will lead not as broad of a swath of destruction but the destruction it leaves will be really bad. When Charlie hit in Port Charlotte it was still a Cat 2 in Orlando which is roughly 130 miles straight shot.

This is not looking good, if your in or around Panama City, you should probably get out. This could be bad for quite a few miles inland.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
Artist and not a curator

Not to mention that those areas of the Carolina's who really don't need more of this crap. The power is gonna be off for a while.

Buckle up guys, we're praying for you.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
Artist and not a curator

Last update from NHC is what we were fearing. It's getting tighter and more organized. Already at Cat 3 and Cat 4 is a solid possibility at landfall.

This is the real deal folks. These are how the hardest ones always seem to hit, kinda like a "meh, it's a 2" type deal then they strengthen quick. I don't say this lightly but this one is going to be bad.

Praying something happens to make it dissipate but we're running out of time.
Rio (10-10-2018), SouthonBeach (10-09-2018), tgeb (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,314

This one does look chitty. Does anybody really need any more rain too? That's the least of it wind and surge will be epic in a horrific way
Old 10-09-2018, 10:15 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 5,112

And to top it off North Carolina can’t handle any more rain!
Old 10-10-2018, 02:22 AM   #12
Artist and not a curator

Yep, it's the real deal. Just woke up... It's already a 4. Dropped 20 mb in 6 hours and all indications show it gaining strength still. This is it, this is bad. This is the type of storm that cuts islands in half. We haven't seen a storm like this in a long time. It's a classic power storm, medium size, extremely well organized, riding a trough, and nothing in the way to stop it...

My heart goes out to you folks. If you can get out, get out, this is a really scary storm and no one was paying much attention to it because it wasn't a good story... It's very sad. Get out if you can, it's last minute but get away from the coast, this is going to be a wall of water and wind. So scary.

Not good at all.
A&E Exteriors (10-10-2018), superseal (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 04:01 AM   #13
Thread Reading Aficionado

Trade: Certified Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,458

It is heading up 231. I live a stones throw from 231. Traffic heading north constantly today. We worked securing jobs for a two possible three and we have 50 gallons of gas for the generator and water for everyone and food. My windows didnít get boarded up...

We are in new construction exposure B vult of 108 and vasd 140 in three second gusts. In the morning itís mattresses over the windows and furniture over that and to the middle of the house with tons of blankets and literally getting my family in hard hats. Pray for no serious structural damage. Our houses are ten feet apart. I know cram them in there. Thatís good for the sides. We have a hip roof in the back and the front has trees all over right across the street to stop some wind. Our j bolts are 18Ē oc. Sp1 and sp2 clips and trusses with clips. Man I wish screw and glue was mandatory here for sheathing. Weíre 14.5 miles off the coast. I have no clue what to expect. And Iím still awake. 4am.

Btw havenít been on here in a while. Whatís up everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Builders Inc. For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (10-10-2018), deckman22 (10-10-2018), griz (10-10-2018), hdavis (10-10-2018), Jaws (10-10-2018), mrcat (10-10-2018), Rio (10-10-2018), Sir Mixalot (10-10-2018), SmallTownGuy (10-10-2018), superseal (10-10-2018), Texas Wax (10-10-2018), TxElectrician (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 04:02 AM   #14

Iíve slept through a two and had a three hit an hour from us but not a direct hit with a 4 smh.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #15
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 9,495

Good luck to those in the path.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 10-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #16

we went to Pensacola

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Builders Inc. For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (10-10-2018), deckman22 (10-10-2018), griz (10-10-2018), hdavis (10-10-2018), Jaws (10-10-2018), Rio (10-10-2018), superseal (10-10-2018), Texas Wax (10-10-2018), TxElectrician (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,858

Did I hear correct this morning that it is the worst storm ever to hit the US?
Record low pressure and tight formation
This could be real bad, seems to have formed quick or news ignored it for Kavanaugh ratings
Old 10-10-2018, 08:27 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,126

It has been reported on for a number of days, along with the potential for strengthening. It wasn' a big deal 2 days ago.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 4,756

Buckle up boys this could be a bad one. Let's hope it's a fast mover not one that lingers for days.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,740

Yeah my uncle has a place right on the beach in Seaside Florida and I believe itís going to take a direct hit

Advertisement