Hunting For A Charity - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Hunting For A Charity

Old 11-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 10,196

Hunting For A Charity

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. One thing I'm thankful for is living in the most giving nation on the planet. America is great because Americans are good.

I know this time of year a lot of us look for a place to give so we can share our good fortune. A lot of us might have specific charities that are near and dear to us that we give to every year. I was made aware of one this year that I thought should have the spotlight on it a bit because so many of us like the great outdoors. Another thing is, our very own Pinwheel runs it.

He takes the time every year to give disabled vets the ability to hunt. Him and his neighbors give up their land and time and Pins shop to these guys and put them on deer and feed them. It's a pretty great thing. Think about a disabled veteran who thought they'd never get to enjoy their favorite hobby again, and because of Pinwheel, they can.

Here's the rub. Randy, being the guy he is won't ask for money. I've seen him mention this hunt before but had no idea it was an actual charity to donate to. He is a 501c3 and is the treasurer so all donations are tax deductible. Since he won't ask, (and I know he comes out of his own pocket) I told him I'd ask for him...

Will you guys help support his charity?

You can donate money by going here and hitting the donate button. Or get in contact with Randy (pinwheel) directly.
https://m.facebook.com/missouridisabledsportsmen/
goneelkn (11-22-2018), hdavis (11-22-2018), pinwheel (11-22-2018), Snobnd (11-22-2018), spazman (11-22-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (11-22-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,156

Re: Hunting For A Charity

Thanks for what you do Pinwheel. Anything that benefits veterans is a great cause, add in hunting, extra worthy.

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: custom builder
Rewards Points: 242

Is it just disabled vets or anyone that is disabled?

Old 11-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 366

Rob, You making this post is very humbling, thank you for taking the time to attempt to shine a light on what we do. But I sure can't take all the credit, I'm just a small gear in large gear set that makes what we do possible.

This hunt started approx 10 years ago because I had a really good friend in a chair with limited opportunities to do what he loved doing before he last the ability to walk. He loved the outdoors & loves hunting & fishing. So I got a couple buddies together & we made some blinds that were wheel chair accessible & took him & one other disabled guy hunting on our farm.

From day one, we've relied heavily on other selfless volunteers being willing to help us help others. And still today, this whole thing works because of guys willing to give up their time & share their resources to help others.

As for our organization. Missouri Disabled Sportsmen, we're a 501c3 with a 7 member board of directors, of which I'm the treasurer. The entire board is heavily involved in the hands on operations of getting guys afield. While a lot of our participants (& voluteers) are vets, we don't limit the people we help to just Vets. Our primary focus is put on mobility impaired, our secondary focus is on the youth who love the outdoors. They're our future & we realize that.

A week from tomorrow, our home & shop will be invaded by 13 hunters & their families & a huge volunteer force. Every hunter will have a volunteer guide & support staff to help get them afield & take care of processing their harvest. We'll be feeding about 50 people over the weekend & probably closer to 100 on Sat night, as we invite all the landowners, families & others who want to come & help support our mission. MDS covers all the cost of food for the weekend. Everything else is donated by the volunteers & landowners.

This deer hunt is one of many events we sponsor annually. In a couple weeks, we'll have a group of guys back at our farm hunting rabbits. MDS has developed a partnership with MO dept of conservation where they provide our events with 4 track wheel chairs. That's been a game changer on getting these guys afield & makes it possible for them to follow the dogs on the rabbit hunt.

Our flagship event is a pheasant hunt in Feb, where we take 27 youth & disabled hunters to a game farm to shoot a continental style pheasant hunt. This will be our biggest, but most expensive hunt of the year, because our hunters pay for nothing. Food, lodging participation fees are all covered. ($7500 budget). Other events throughout the year, are sporting clay shoot. Partial fundraiser, as the able bodied, youth & disabled all participate. Us covering the costs of the youth & disabled to participate. We also host a couple archery 3D shoots (primarily fundraiser), turkey hunts, archery deer hunts. Heck, we're even going to try taking a few guys snow good hunting this winter.

MDS is 100% financially supported by the generosity of others. We have no paid positions, 100% of our proceeds go towards supporting our mission. Rob is right, I'm not good at asking for financial support, just not my style. I'm usually on the giving end, it's easier.

I've posted about our deer hunt several times over the years here on CT & have always felt a lot of moral support. Much appreciated, helps keep batteries charged when others appreciate what we do. Anyone who wishes to give more than just moral support, it's also appreciated. As a 501c3 non profit, we can provide charitable receipts to anyone wishing to help. Thank you in advance.

I'll be sure to post pics after next weekend, but in the meantime, if ya'd like to see appreciative, smiling faces, check out our facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/missouri...=page_internal

https://www.facebook.com/missouridisabledsportsmen/

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
asevereid (11-22-2018), Cricket (11-23-2018), Deckhead (11-22-2018), deckman22 (11-23-2018), goneelkn (11-22-2018), hdavis (11-22-2018), KAP (11-22-2018), spazman (11-23-2018), Tinstaafl (11-22-2018), TxElectrician (11-22-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #5
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donerightwyo View Post
Is it just disabled vets or anyone that is disabled?

Focus on mobility impaired secondary focus on youth. Many of our participants & volunteers are vets. It's pretty cool watching the youth interact with the disabled. I'm quite certain it's makes an impact for some of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
donerightwyo (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: home remodel/repair
Rewards Points: 28

Some way other than Facebook to donate?? PM if you don't want your address out there.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: custom builder
Rewards Points: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
Focus on mobility impaired secondary focus on youth. Many of our participants & volunteers are vets. It's pretty cool watching the youth interact with the disabled. I'm quite certain it's makes an impact for some of them.
It’s good work you are doing there Pin.

It takes 2 min to send them some money through PayPal from the Facebook link. Just do it!

Last edited by donerightwyo; 11-22-2018 at 11:30 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donerightwyo For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (11-22-2018), pinwheel (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneelkn View Post
Some way other than Facebook to donate?? PM if you don't want your address out there.
Paypal donate button on our facebook page.

Can also send check to MDS.

Missouri Disabled Sportsmen
47701 Maverick Pl
Leonard, MO 63451

I don't worry about my address being out there, most people couldn't find me anyway, we're pretty far off the beaten path & it doesn't show up on GPS

Last edited by pinwheel; 11-22-2018 at 11:51 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (11-22-2018), goneelkn (11-22-2018), TxElectrician (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 06:39 PM   #9
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 10,196

So cool Pin. You are truly an inspiration my friend.
pinwheel (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,740

Awesome!

Advertisement