Home Made Wine - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Home Made Wine

Old 08-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 2,422

Home Made Wine

I like to make home made wine. We have some strawberry and some muscadine wine making right now. I don't get real fancy with it. Just put juice, sugar, water and yeast in a jar and put it in the cellar house for a few months. Anyone else make their own?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Future Post Deleter...

Trade: Nothing
Rewards Points: 1,092

Re: Home Made Wine

My sister makes it, I get a bottles and slam them down, then regret it the next day.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rex For This Useful Post:
dkillianjr (08-24-2012), TxElectrician (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
Pro

It will give one hell of a hangover
dkillianjr (08-24-2012), rex (08-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Extraordinary Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,728

I want to make some . but I don't know how. I have a 5 gallon bucket full of grapes
Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Construction and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,464

A good buddy of mines parents make it. They are first generation italians, man its good stuff. After a glass you feel pretty good. After a bottle you don't feel anything You do regret it the next day though! After drinking it all night, you can taste it for a week every time you burp.

And you can also fuel your truck with it in a pinch

Dave
Old 08-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I want to make some . but I don't know how. I have a 5 gallon bucket full of grapes
Take your grapes and boil them to get the juice. Run them through a juicer. One quart of juice, 3 quarts water, 5 cups sugar, 1 pack yeast. put it in a jar with lid. put the jar in a paper bag let sit for 6 weeks. better if you wait longer.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 3,352

I grew up drinking my grandfather's blackberry wine.

That may explain a few things.
The Following User Says Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
Jaws (08-25-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,304

I make about 25 gallons of wine every year. My friend has Muscat grapes covering his porch in NY, I collect them each year squeeze them and make wine in my basement... I add one case of white grapes to about 4 cases of red grapes and I have some great wine each year... I don't add sugar or anything else and I have some good wine, I'm talking about 15-18% of semi sweet wine.
DavidC (08-27-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 6,038

Wine is kind of fu fu.....

Im a beer or bourbon guy [CODE][/CODE]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
griz (08-24-2012), TxElectrician (08-25-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Wine is kind of fu fu.....

Im a beer or bourbon guy [CODE][/CODE]
I've had 30 Harley Davidsons sitting in my yard and the majority of the guys were drinking wine

I make the legal limit..200 gallons a year Most of it I try to keep in the 11-12% ABV range. Tastes better that way. If I want to get drunker, I just drink more. Most of my wines are semi sweet to sweet and I keep the sulphi
tes to a minimum...Keeps the hangovers to a dull roar.

I bulk age, meaning I age it in 5 gallon carboys and bottle as I need it, that is how I get away with low metabasulphite.
When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .
The Following User Says Thank You to PA woodbutcher For This Useful Post:
Jaws (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 6,038

I was joking.

Except about the beer and bourbon
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
PA woodbutcher (08-25-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,304

I'm a vodka guy, love drinking vodka straight up, room temperature (so you don't get a sore throat in the morning ) but I still love making wine...
Jaws (08-25-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,624

I made about 15 gallons last year. It was ready to be bottled in January and I drank it soon thereafter.

An old Bohemian next door taught me how to make it. I followed his directions whether I liked them or not.

First, we pour all the grapes in a new tote. This is in the basement. We add water and smash up the grapes with our hands. Every day, we stir things up and smash up more grapes. If I could, I would set up a garbage disposal (new) in a sink over sawhorses, and run the grapes through this to mash everything up.

We wait a week or so for the initial fermentation to begin.

Then we strain this mixture and pour it in water containers (plastic) with about 10 lbs of sugar. You could cut with more water at this point. These are 4 or 5 gallon containers.

We hold some juice back in a gallon container. This juice is used to top off the big containers. The big containers are fermenting and spewing up pieces of skin and seeds, etc. Every day, these are skimmed off the top and more juice is poured in to keep the level up in the neck of the vessel.

After this vessel stops fermenting so much, we put an air lock on it and wait until January or until it stops producing air bubbles. Then you can bottle it or drink it directly from the big bottle.

Last year, I just bottled it in 1 gallon bottles. Probably do the same this year. It is high in alcohol and tastes quite unrefined. Could do with some time in oak. I wonder if a guy could just age it in the big bottles with some oak shavings?

The amazing thing to me is that so much alcohol can be produced with so few grapes. I think if you wanted to drink a quart of wine every night, you would need about 100 gallons of wine, and you could easily do this on a residential lot if you devoted the perimeter of your lot and some walls to vines, maybe a few rows as well.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #14
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 134

My brother has a licensed winery, he just buys his grapes from vintners every year. It's pretty fun stuff, I help with harvest, transport, and "the crush" every year. I must say, it's extremely good stuff. I drink mostly Rioja's, old style Spanish wine, and his gives it a good run for the money.

He adds nothing but grapes, no sulphur, water, sugar, even ferments with natural yeasts. We even stomp them with our feet. Don't worry, we wear sanitized, rubber hip waders, that are winery exclusive use only.

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
Jaws (08-25-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,670

Just toilet wine.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #16
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

We knew a guy who used to sell freshly pressed apple cider from the side of the road. We had no idea that it could ferment from sitting outside in cardboard boxes for the entire summer.

When the fall came around, I decided to buy a jug.. and I noticed that everyone else was buying them. I didn't know why his cider became so popular until I drank a glass.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,264

I'm a brewer, but I'm about to start a batch of mead.
J L (08-26-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
With grapes you can add 1 gallon of water and 2 lbs of sugar for every 6-8 pounds of grapes. If the grapes are pushing over ripe can can reduce the sugar amount a touch to keep from making cough syrup. Cleveman has the right idea except that I use a new set of little girl panty hose and strain the seeds and skins from the "must". Size 6 stretch nicely over the top of a 5 gallon bucket.

If you have access to a hydrometer that would be great in figuring out your potential alcohol. I usually run mine to 14-15%, completely dry it out through fermentation and then sweeten it back using melted sugar, thereby reducing the ABV to somewhere around the 11-12.

Also if available use a vintners yeast instead of a baking yeast. Myself, I use Lavlin 71b-1122. Really brings out the fruitiness of grape
When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .
Old 08-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #19
Brownchickenbrowncow

Trade: General Building
Rewards Points: 1,376

We have 40 acres of Syrah and Chardonay. We produce at home maybe 200 gallons a year, and work with a vintner for the remaining 15,000 cases. Yes as mentioned before, it doesnt take much grapes to produces a lot of wine. As far as ingredients, we add nothing but yeast. Good grapes are already heavy on the sugar. Process is not much different than cleveman description, minus extra ingredients.

We have a few oak barrels and the rest is in carboys.
Attached Thumbnails
Home made wine-100_0193.jpg  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to elementbldrs For This Useful Post:
greg24k (08-25-2012), I Mester (08-26-2012), J L (08-26-2012), PA woodbutcher (08-25-2012), TxElectrician (08-25-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Insurance Broker - Commercial Construction
Rewards Points: 666

Mr. Astrix grew up on a rural village in Eastern Europe. One of his chores growing up was helping with the winemaking. This is a man's chore; the women don't get involved.

They did not use yeast; and would only add sugar if the grapes weren't sweet enough (not enough sunny days during the growing season). The same with water; this would not be added unless you didn't have enough grapes and were trying to increase the volume of your end product. But usually sugar and water would be avoided as it was considered to give a lesser quality end product.

The grapes would be mashed and stored in a wood barrel. Every day, the solids (seeds, skin) that would float to the top would be pushed back down into the barrel and mixed up again. It was important to keep the barrel in a warm place, otherwise the fermentation process would stop. That is why he didn't make wine once he came to Canada. We do have relatives, however, who would heat their garages so that they could make wine; but it never tastes the same like what they make "back home".

After about two weeks, the wine would already be ready for bottling. About two days before bottling, they wouldn't stir the barrel contents anymore. That way at bottling time, most of the solids had floated to the top, and the liquid at the bottom of the barrel would be clear. Then the spigot at the bottom of the barrel would be opened and the clear wine that was on the bottom would be poured into bottles.

Afterwards, the mash (skin, seeds) that were left over in the barrel would be removed and they would cook and distill this to make Rakija; similar to moonshine.

P.S. The quality test would be passed if your ears got red and warm after drinking a glass.

Advertisement

Last edited by Astrix; 08-26-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added P.S.