Hobbies - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Hobbies

Old 09-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 312

Hobbies

I searched and couldn't find anything, but if there is, point it out and I'll delete this post.

Most of the other forums I frequent have a common interest based on hobbies. This forum brings us here because of our trades/occupations, but I'm curious what people of similar professions as myself do for fun? I personally don't want to do any thing semi work related in my spare time, so I have other interests than construction related activities.

The biggest one is Jeeping/4 wheeling. I build my rigs, then take em out and play with them, I have sold a few I built over the years and may have another for sale soon.

Pic for reference, current rig.

One I built and sold a few years ago

What are the rest of you guys up to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stano For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (09-07-2016), Easy Gibson (09-06-2016), hdavis (09-06-2016), META (09-06-2016), Robie (09-06-2016), spazman (09-06-2016), Xtrememtnbiker (09-06-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 18,624

Re: Hobbies

Damn dude.

For me, hobby has a time and financial ceiling before it becomes something else. You have crossed that threshold. hah

I've gotten to a weird place in my early 30's where I don't really even do anything. I hang out with my kid. I get a couple drinks with my friends. That's about it. It seems like after hours, I really only get a couple hours to myself. Eat for an hour. Hang with the wife for an hour. Post on here for an hour. Bam, bedtime.

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 2,174

Some other times it's been discussed...

Nothing wrong with a current thread....

https://www.contractortalk.com/f22/le...hobbies-35094/

https://www.contractortalk.com/f22/hobbies-89898/

https://www.contractortalk.com/f22/other-hobbies-74626/

― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post

Sheesh, I guess I need to spend some time learning to search........ha.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 2,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
Sheesh, I guess I need to spend some time learning to search........ha.

The search engine on CT sucks. I use Google.

― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
hdavis (09-06-2016), Texas Wax (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

I fish and hunt quite a bit.Have a camper at the lake.Played guitar in several bands for many years but gave it up a few years ago due to getting old and staying up to late and feeling like chit for work the next day.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,828

Love to go out hunting it's peaceful being alone in the bush for several hours.

I also like to collect historical firearms
Old 09-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
Damn dude.

For me, hobby has a time and financial ceiling before it becomes something else. You have crossed that threshold. hah

I've gotten to a weird place in my early 30's where I don't really even do anything. I hang out with my kid. I get a couple drinks with my friends. That's about it. It seems like after hours, I really only get a couple hours to myself. Eat for an hour. Hang with the wife for an hour. Post on here for an hour. Bam, bedtime.
I'm with you. Being home is pretty much my hobby now.
The Following User Says Thank You to EricBrancard For This Useful Post:
Jaws (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 12,880

Yep. Me too. No real time to devote to hobbies. I like photography and I collect a few things, but those are pretty much done in passing. Maybe go shooting, but don't spend any real money on anything but the house these days.

If I spend any real time doing a "hobby", I start thinking if I have time to dick off I should probably be at work.

Maybe my smoker, but that not really a hobby.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: General and Trades
Rewards Points: 7,018

Fish, camp, cook, garden, travel, trade markets, read, all sporadically.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,958

My oldest two kids are grown and gone, my youngest is a senior. We now have a Granddaughter who lives an hour or so away so we love spending time with her. When I have some down time in the evenings I have a model railroad. A hobby I have had for years and it will never be finished. I try to model the Pennsylvania Railroad in the late 1960's. Just this last sunday afternoon I got out my airbrush and spent the afternoon adding layers of dirt and rust to a diesel switcher. I will see if I can post a picture or two.
I also ride a road bike ( bicycle) usually limited to weekends, I always try to get 20 - 40 miles in most weekends.
I am also part of a group in our community that has spent the last 5 years restoring a 1927 B&O caboose that sits in our local park. We are now taking on a cosmetic restoration of a massive C&O 4-8-4 steam locomotive, the thing is a behemoth.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
asevereid (09-06-2016), Stano (09-07-2016), VinylHanger (09-07-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,608

I guess this place is my hobby.

The Following User Says Thank You to gbruzze1 For This Useful Post:
Jaws (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #13

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
My oldest two kids are grown and gone, my youngest is a senior. We now have a Granddaughter who lives an hour or so away so we love spending time with her. When I have some down time in the evenings I have a model railroad. A hobby I have had for years and it will never be finished. I try to model the Pennsylvania Railroad in the late 1960's. Just this last sunday afternoon I got out my airbrush and spent the afternoon adding layers of dirt and rust to a diesel switcher. I will see if I can post a picture or two.
I also ride a road bike ( bicycle) usually limited to weekends, I always try to get 20 - 40 miles in most weekends.
I am also part of a group in our community that has spent the last 5 years restoring a 1927 B&O caboose that sits in our local park. We are now taking on a cosmetic restoration of a massive C&O 4-8-4 steam locomotive, the thing is a behemoth.
A few years ago they built a replica steam engine and put it into service a couple towns over.

http://www.steamintohistory.com/pictures/

A replica probably doesn't hold the same value as a restoration to enthusiasts, IDK. But it's been a good thing for the town.
The Following User Says Thank You to PRP For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (09-07-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #14
Thread Reading Aficionado

Trade: Certified Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,458

Hobby for me is to try to get home before dark and industry research and reading on the side. Once in a while we will play games and drink. Had a few friends over Saturday night to play cards against humanity. Now that's a funny game. Good times.

The Following User Says Thank You to Builders Inc. For This Useful Post:
asevereid (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 09:45 PM   #15
spazman

Trade: floorcovering installer
Rewards Points: 106

I like to cook, read, garden and tinker with woodworking. From April through September I play sand court volleyball 2 nights a week. I don't jump as high or cover as much ground as I used to but I'm still having fun trying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spazman For This Useful Post:
mtb (09-07-2016), Stano (09-07-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #16
The Sheriff

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 15,056

Work and playing with my daughters, making breakfast every morning for my 6 year old and going over her bible verse memory work for school is my hobby. I also like to hunt and fish. I dont have a lot of time for it but i try to make time. Going to my lease in San Saba this weekend to hunt with a group of guys i played football with from 7th grade through senior year this weekend, we are still good buddies. Going to Wyoming in October to hunt deer and antelope. But my deer lease will probably get 2 trips if that this year. I have a house to build and a rental that needs a rehab that takes up my personal time outside of work.

Hoping when im 40 my new house is paid for and i can split time between my man cave, playing in the pool with my kids and hunting while working 45 hrs a week. I can hope anyway.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Stano (09-07-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #17
The Sheriff

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 15,056

Cool jeeps

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Stano (09-07-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 1,721

What's a hobby???
Old 09-07-2016, 07:22 AM   #19
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 6,668

Fishing and trying to do new things with wood that I haven't done before. I got into steam bending for a while. I figure I got the shop, I do it for a living, I like to do different stuff, why the hell wouldn't I do it? My kid's enjoy being in the shop and building their own stuff too. Last thing they built was a rocket ship made of cardboard, going to be building a huge treehouse for them if we ever get time.

Lego's. That's a new one now. My son is big time into lego's, my dad never really encouraged me to get into anything so I buy a bunch of lego's and help my son build them 1 hr a night. My daughter is into animal's so she goes and takes care of the chicken's and goats with me. I fear I may have to be buying something soon I swore I would never do... buy a horse. If they have a passion though, I'm there to encourage it, kids want to learn but should learn in a way that entice's them to not want to stop learning.

That's what happens with kids I guess. We're getting to the point that their hobbies are my hobbies. My wife and I used to love to fish and the kids are starting to enjoy it so maybe we can all do that again.

Eric and Easy, yeah you guys are at that stage where they don't do much. Funny how if it was anything else you'd say, I'm not sitting here for this, damn thing just makes noise and tries to scoot but can't. When it's your's it's somehow hilarious, and you find yourself encouraging the scoots or crawls or whatever. Love them babies, soon you'll be finding circular saws in the yard
Old 09-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #20
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 18,624

Did you watch that show The Falls with Gillian Anderson about a serial rapist?

There's a scene where the detective has him in an interrogation room and asks why there was a 4 year lull in his raping spree. He replied, "Kids, young kids, take up ALL your time."

It was at that moment that I really identified, and almost sympathized, with a serial rapist.

Advertisement