Heroin - Epidemic - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Heroin - Epidemic

Old 12-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #1
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,024

Heroin - Epidemic

We put my niece in the ground today....

She passed away last Sunday morning from an accidental Heroin overdose. She was found by her twin brother mid day Sunday. As you might imagine the family is in unimaginable grief.....

But my Sister wants to fight back and make the loss of Sarah not in vain. There are many, many youths that are using Heroin and plenty of deaths as the result.

The problem is no one wants to admit to the world that their kid OD'ed on Heroin, so the truth gets kicked under the rug and these youngsters don't know how dangerous this drug is.

The truth needs to be told!

There are kids dying from using this drug in incredible numbers, in our towns and cities everyday. They do not realize the danger of just trying Heroin one time....it is incredibly addicting and will lead to death.

You must confront the younger people around you and explain that they should never, NEVER try Heroin. Don't let your friends try Heroin. If they know someone who is on Heroin, find a way to get them help.

The kids know who is doing what, and they know who is selling this poison to our children. They must report and turn these dealers in.....They are killing people!

Sarah was a very talented artist, had attended her first semester at University of Delaware, was on the Deans List. Home for Winter break, when her life tragically ended.

She left behind a lot of people that had know idea she was using Heroin, but there were some that knew and said nothing....We need to stop this....

I was told after her funeral today, that the mortuary service was picking up another lifeless body, a victim of this horrible drug today.

Please, communicate with these kids, get in their faces and tell them...STOP, they have no idea what awaits them......don't do Heroin.
Attached Thumbnails
Heroin - Epidemic-sarah.jpg  

www.gebcon.com
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (12-24-2016), brickhook (12-24-2016), cdkyle (12-24-2016), dayexco (12-23-2016), Deckhead (12-24-2016), Defenestrate (12-24-2016), Designed2Fail (12-24-2016), Dirtywhiteboy (12-26-2016), dkillianjr (12-27-2016), goneelkn (12-24-2016), griz (12-24-2016), hdavis (12-24-2016), Inner10 (12-24-2016), Irishslave (12-24-2016), jarhead0531 (12-24-2016), Jaws (12-24-2016), jhark123 (12-24-2016), jlhaslip (12-24-2016), Jonbuild (12-24-2016), KAP (12-24-2016), kapena (12-26-2016), larry228 (12-24-2016), maxwage (12-25-2016), Metro M & L (12-24-2016), pinwheel (12-24-2016), Railman (12-24-2016), Randy Bush (12-24-2016), RangoWA (12-24-2016), Resta (12-24-2016), rustyjames (12-24-2016), spazman (12-24-2016), superseal (12-24-2016), Tom Struble (12-24-2016), tonyc56 (12-25-2016), VinylHanger (12-24-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 448

Re: Heroin - Epidemic

So sorry to hear this tom. Please accept and extend my condolences.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
tgeb (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 11:23 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,450

Very sorry for your loss.
Opiate addiction is serious, I don't recall the numbers but deaths due to them have increased dramatically. People who can't get heroin are into pain killers and people who can't get pain killers can turn to heroin. Its an epidemic, you hope to educate your kids and hope if they do manage to fall in with the wrong crowd that they still make the right decision. As you said, it only takes one time experimenting to begin the path of the downward spiral.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperiorHIP For This Useful Post:
tgeb (12-23-2016), Tom Struble (12-24-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2016, 11:24 PM   #4
Contractor

Thanks Gene.

This stuff sneaks up us and bites us in the ass....

www.gebcon.com
Old 12-23-2016, 11:37 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: residential construction
Rewards Points: 364

I am very sorry for her parents and your lost. Her parents life will never be the same burring a child.

I wish your family and you all the best in this horrid situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Designed2Fail For This Useful Post:
tgeb (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 11:50 PM   #6
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designed2Fail View Post
I am very sorry for her parents and your lost. Her parents life will never be the same burring a child.

I wish your family and you all the best in this horrid situation.
I appreciate your condolences, but that is not why I posted this.

I want every person who reads this to confront the younger people in their lives and tell them to cut it out. Don't try Heroin! If you know someone who is using...get them help.

If you are aware of a dealer....get them arrested!

www.gebcon.com

Last edited by tgeb; 12-23-2016 at 11:53 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
brickhook (12-24-2016), Calidecks (12-24-2016), cdkyle (12-24-2016), deckman22 (12-24-2016), Designed2Fail (12-24-2016), griz (12-24-2016), hdavis (12-24-2016), Jaws (12-24-2016), jhark123 (12-24-2016), KAP (12-24-2016), TimelessQuality (12-27-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 12:22 AM   #7
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 20,954

I had a friend that snuck out his window while in rehab. He was a roofer I knew him from the trades. My home was right down the street from this halfway house he was staying at. He knocked on my door at 11 at night, and asked for 30 bucks to get himself a carton of cigarettes. I said Brad WTH? So I gave him 30 bucks and walked him back. Watched him climb back in the window and I went home. This was probably 16 years ago. Well evidently he got caught and they threw him out. He went and purchased heroin heroin with the money I gave him. He wss found face down in the park where he died.

I got that call. Needless to say I called his mother to offer my condolences. I knew his mother well. To my horror she hadn't been notified! I accidentally told a mother her child was dead. This young man didn't have a fighting chance. His uncle gave him his first high in New Jersey when he was only 14. His brother is an oncologist. So it shows how this drug can effect any family. I'm still in close contact with his mother today. It's a memory I'll never forget. Not so much getting the call which was really bad, but that phone call I made!

tgeb, I am sorry for your loss, and I agree these stories need to be told. If it helps just one person to understand how powerful this garbage is.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
griz (12-24-2016), KAP (12-24-2016), Rio (12-24-2016), SmallTownGuy (12-24-2016), tgeb (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 01:38 AM   #8
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,166

my family member shared a story that happened to his buddy earlier this year. The friend was married with children and had been clean for 10 or 15 years. He had to go in to the dentist for an emergency procedure and the dentist prescribed something strong to help get over the pain. That reignited the urge; the guy relapsed and OD'ed two days later. Sometimes that's all it takes.

I am sorry to hear about Sarah and will pray for your family.
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinDB For This Useful Post:
tgeb (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 2,666

We all know where it comes from. That wall can't be built fast enough.
Dirtywhiteboy (12-26-2016), Irishslave (12-24-2016), tgeb (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,429

Right on, tgeb. Thank you for posting.

I've been getting angry with this problem as it spreads with abandon and I read more and more sad stories. The problem is that too many folks just stop at the sad" part when action needs to be taken. Sorry for your family's loss, as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
tgeb (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #11
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,252

When I was in High School George Chuvalo came and talked to the entire school about the dangers of heroin. I think it had a substantial impact. The war on drugs is a waste of taxpayer dollars, money should be spend on educating kids to not make bad decisions instead.
Philament (12-25-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 7,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeb View Post
We put my niece in the ground today....

She passed away last Sunday morning from an accidental Heroin overdose. She was found by her twin brother mid day Sunday. As you might imagine the family is in unimaginable grief.....

But my Sister wants to fight back and make the loss of Sarah not in vain. There are many, many youths that are using Heroin and plenty of deaths as the result.

The problem is no one wants to admit to the world that their kid OD'ed on Heroin, so the truth gets kicked under the rug and these youngsters don't know how dangerous this drug is.

The truth needs to be told!

There are kids dying from using this drug in incredible numbers, in our towns and cities everyday. They do not realize the danger of just trying Heroin one time....it is incredibly addicting and will lead to death.

You must confront the younger people around you and explain that they should never, NEVER try Heroin. Don't let your friends try Heroin. If they know someone who is on Heroin, find a way to get them help.

The kids know who is doing what, and they know who is selling this poison to our children. They must report and turn these dealers in.....They are killing people!

Sarah was a very talented artist, had attended her first semester at University of Delaware, was on the Deans List. Home for Winter break, when her life tragically ended.

She left behind a lot of people that had know idea she was using Heroin, but there were some that knew and said nothing....We need to stop this....

I was told after her funeral today, that the mortuary service was picking up another lifeless body, a victim of this horrible drug today.

Please, communicate with these kids, get in their faces and tell them...STOP, they have no idea what awaits them......don't do Heroin.
You and your family will certainly be in our thoughts and prayers....
The Following User Says Thank You to brickhook For This Useful Post:
tgeb (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Concrete & General Construction
Rewards Points: 548

Tgeb,

You are exactly right. Stories like this are becoming more and more prevalent. Teenagers feel so invincible at that age. Heroine is a killer, so easy to overdose on. And yes, the message needs to be spread about the dangers of this drug to the young ones.

My sister's boy was on it for a few years. He had several friends OD on the crap. He is off now, Thank God, but is on prescription Methadone. Seems to be doing well, but as we all know when dealing with an addictive personality, could relapse at any time. I pray not.

The major drug problem in my area is meth. I hate both meth and heroine. Both are different in their respective effects on the body. But, both are horrible drugs. Both will completely ruin your life, if not kill you.

Makes me wonder about our "War on Drug." Have we really gained anything? It appears to only be getting worse. And, the drugs just get stronger.

Spread the word to all, Stay off Drugs, Heroine and Meth are Killers.

May God be with you and your family.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdkyle For This Useful Post:
Inner10 (12-24-2016), MarkJames (12-24-2016), tgeb (12-24-2016), Tom Struble (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #14
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

I heard herion has made a come back in a big way since it's gotten so cheap. Back in the day it was fairly expensive and that probably kept it in check to some extent. My older brother dabbled with it and I suspect moreso towards his end overseas.

There's a reason there is a war on drugs, I disagree with those claiming it's a failure or a waste. Unlike booze you can get hooked quick and maybe for good.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 4,058

So sorry to hear another loss to this terrible drug, heroin has destroyed many lives of people I knew, a good friend I grew up with may have possibly been involved with the death of his mother falling down the stairs fighting over money....and yes he died of a drug overdose.

Dealers in the heroin should be shot...and left in the street for all to see!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snobnd For This Useful Post:
tgeb (12-24-2016), Tom Struble (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,318

I've never come across a story with the word heroin in it that ended well... you're right to speak out on it and it's affect on not only the one chained to the addiction but those that are left behind when that addiction claims a life...

So sorry to hear it claimed someone in your family especially during a time of year when there are supposed to be good memories being made...

You're in our thoughts and prayers and I hope you take comforts that at least the good memories of Sarah and what she gave the world while she was here can never be erased and hopefully drown out the bad...
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
tgeb (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #17
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,826

The epidemic is so big here in PA, police carry Narcan to reverse the effects of overdose. Chit, one of our local cops was the first in the state to administer it and save a life awhile back.

I hear it's now available at our schools and at Acme pharmacies across the state.

Regardless, the numbers of overdose and death remain high.

I'm sorry for your loss and can appreciate you trying to get the word out on this morbid addiction.

http://www.delconewsnetwork.com/ridl...6c4c9f7cc.html

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
tgeb (12-24-2016), Windycity (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,807

OP and anyone else. Stay away from H E R O I N. In Europe is very well known what is it. When I say stay away from it - warn entire family. If you know someone is selling to yours family heroin you know what should be done. Zero tolerance. In Europe law have zero tolerance for selling of that to. To add I'm a regular guy decent. But if someone bringing heroin in yours family is same as bringing radioactive plutonium in yours house. It is mind blowing to me that USA didn't introduce harsher law egainst it.

Last edited by tipitop; 12-24-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #19
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 3,998

We do not have a heroin problem in this country.
We do not have an alcohol problem in this country.
We do not have a drug problem in this country.

All of my family from parents through siblings and even distant cousins - none of us have ever had a drug, alcohol or substance abuse problem.

This is only something that happens to those "other, lesser people" - you know the kind I'm talking about.

This is why I refuse to talk about it - decent people just don't.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #20
PCI

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 848

If you ever get the chance or what to glimpse into the world of addiction, read the Beautiful Boy.

I listened to it on book tape, My children were very young at the time. At times I couldn't get out of my truck I was such a wreck imagining it happening to one of my children.

Advertisement