Help With School Report- Tool Survey - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Help With School Report- Tool Survey

Old 11-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Palisade Point Const.

Trade: Remodeling/Finish/Framing/Log
Rewards Points: 1,632

Help With School Report- Tool Survey

Besides being a carpenter, I'm also in school at Montana State University for Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Technology. I'm doing a report for my engineering economics class that requires me to compare the potential profit from producing a corded drill as opposed to a cordless drill.

I was hoping that I could get some people here to answer a couple of questions that relate to the potential markets of these two tools. I'll be including my own answers to these questions, but I'm hoping I can get a few more responses to include as well.

Question 1: When buying a cordless drill, considering all things being equal to other drills in it's class, would you consider buying a drill that uses batteries that are not compatible with any other cordless tools?

Question 2: Would you be more likely to consider buying a corded drill or a cordless drill from a company that you have little experience with?

Question 3: Would you consider a cordless drill or a corded drill to experience a rougher life? Why?

Question 4: Are you considering buying a new cordless drill in the next year?

Question 5: Are you considering buying a new corded drill in the next year?

Question 6: Have you had work done on either a cordless drill or a corded drill under warranty? What kinds of problems did you experience?

Thank you for your time, this will be a big help for school.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Help With School Report- Tool Survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempestV View Post
Besides being a carpenter, I'm also in school at Montana State University for Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Technology. I'm doing a report for my engineering economics class that requires me to compare the potential profit from producing a corded drill as opposed to a cordless drill.

I was hoping that I could get some people here to answer a couple of questions that relate to the potential markets of these two tools. I'll be including my own answers to these questions, but I'm hoping I can get a few more responses to include as well.

Question 1: When buying a cordless drill, considering all things being equal to other drills in it's class, would you consider buying a drill that uses batteries that are not compatible with any other cordless tools?

Question 2: Would you be more likely to consider buying a corded drill or a cordless drill from a company that you have little experience with?

Question 3: Would you consider a cordless drill or a corded drill to experience a rougher life? Why?

Question 6: Have you had work done on either a cordless drill or a corded drill under warranty? What kinds of problems did you experience?

#1- Not really,but I would settle for a battery that actually lasts a fair amount of time.My old Makita was the best I ever had.
#2-No prior experience,corded are less expensive if experimenting.
#3-A corded drill has always out-lasted a cordless in my experience,and has more umph.
#4-no,but I will have to get new batteries .I am contemplating a cordless sawzall [I know,no help to you here]
#5-no
#6-No problems with the drill themselves,just the darn batteries.
Hope this helps,good-luck with your schooling.
I'll add this ,I love my right angle drill [dewalt],that I can use as a right angle or straight shooter.

Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Yes, simply because I use a drill pretty hard, and I almost dedicate a set of batteries to it anyhow.

Quote:
I would not buy either from a company I have little experience with unless I could hold it and try it first.

Quote:
Cordless drills get dropped a lot more, but corded drills are favored for jobs where you know you're going to potentially abuse it. The housing of a cordless gets a rougher life, but the mechanical of a corded get a rougher life. That said, I've had to replace at least 3 cordless drills for every corded drill I've had to replace.

Quote:
yes, because the technology is always improving

Quote:
no, because the technology is fully matured.

Quote:
Yes. It was a quick fix. Darned plastic gears they're putting in all the cordless drills now. Even good brands. Other time a brand new cordless got the bit jammed and smoked the armature in no time flat.

Quote:
Yeah, well, you owe me 5 bucks now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 150

Question 1: NO - assuming you are talking about ANY cordless tool, even from the same company --- Dewalt's only work with Dewalt, Ridgid with Ridgid, etc...

Question 2: NO

Question 3: The corded should experience a rougher life, however, I push my cordless drills to do jobs right at the edge of their capacity

Question 4: Yes - the new Ridgid line

Question 5: Not unless one of mine breaks

Question 6: No - its just easier to replace where I live at
Old 11-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

1- yes, if i believe the cordless to be superior
2- corded
3- cordless, much more use, very hard on them.
4- no
5- no
6- no
Old 11-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 342

Yes

Corded

Cordless. It gets used a lot more, and in circumstances more likely to cause damage (dropping, falling).

Drill, no. Impact driver.

No

No
Old 11-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: paint contractor since 1974
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:

1) All things being equal I would stick with tools that use the same batteries. I would even pay up to 20% more for the compatibility.

2) Neither

3) For me it would be cordless. I hardly use my corded drills any more.

4) No

5) Brushes on a corded Milwaukee about ten years ago

Hope this helps good luck in school.

Jim
Old 11-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Palisade Point Const.

Trade: Remodeling/Finish/Framing/Log
Rewards Points: 1,632

Thanks, this stuff really helps. Now I just have to figure out how to fill 25 pages...
Old 11-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 250

• Ha Tempest 25 pages no problemo.
  • 1st 8 pages you tell them what you are going to tell them.
  • 2nd 8 pages you tell them it.
  • 3rd 8pages you tell them what you've just told them.
  • Using this method you beef it up 2/3rds
  • Sounds like cheating? Not really just an excepted academic way of filling paper up; 25th page accredit all sources don't forget to mention CT.Best of luck:

Old 11-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

It sounds like you are being graded on the weight of the report, so use heavy paper and nice cover. - Bigger font sizes also help.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

yes, not having to run a extension cord is much less of a headache and speeds things up

no, i stick to brands i know

Question 3: Would you consider a cordless drill or a corded drill to experience a rougher life? Why?i would prob buy a corded model to abuse because they have more torque and they are less expensive, therefore easier to replace

Question 4: Are you considering buying a new cordless drill in the next year? possibly a compact 10.2 v lith ion model

possibly, hammer drill

Question 6: Have you had work done on either a cordless drill or a corded drill under warranty? What kinds of problems did you experience? no

Thank you for your time, this will be a big help for school.[/quote]
Old 11-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
Steve

Trade: Residential Renovations
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:

1. Yes
2. No
3. Both have a rough life. Cordless more use, corded, more force applied.
4. Yes
5. No
6. Cordless - chuck
Old 11-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 684

1 No

2 No

3 Cordless, experience

4 We buy several a year

5 Nope

6 Many times...typically, the trigger switch, both corded and cordless

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 11-24-2008, 11:48 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Consider? Yes. Buy, probably not

NO

cordless - when it falls, there's no "fall arrest" cord

NO - unless it falls off the roof and breaks

NO - I do not need five

NO
Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #15
Capra aegagrus

Interesting... A side result of this survey illustrates that care in wording is important. It appears that fully half of the respondents either misunderstood or just willfully answered #2 inappropriately.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Interesting... A side result of this survey illustrates that care in wording is important. It appears that fully half of the respondents either misunderstood or just willfully answered #2 inappropriately.
[Question 2: Would you be more likely to consider buying a corded drill or a cordless drill from a company that you have little experience with?]

How so? I think the question is not worded, like many surveys, for the response most will give. If you have been in construction as long as some of us, we have a pre set opinion on tools, and I am very unlikely to buy a power tool from any unknown company, and that is just a fact.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 11-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #17
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
If you have been in construction as long as some of us, we have a pre set opinion on tools, and I am very unlikely to buy a power tool from any unknown company, and that is just a fact.
Oh, I fully agree. Nevertheless, the question is NOT yes/no; it's A/B. A yes/no answer isn't responsive to the intent of the question and therefore becomes a null.

Regardless of how right it is.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #18
All ahead flank

Trade: Kitchen and Bath Remodeling, Home Improvement

Good work, keep up the educational pursuit!

Answers:

1. Yes, if the batteries carry their own decent warranty, but I would expect to pay 15-20% less.

2. Corded. Precision manufacturing not as important as with a cordless drill. Energy efficiency and tolerances not so critical when you have endless 115/120V to play with. Potentially more robust components.

3. Corded, they are less complex and also less susceptible to damage as there are no external alignments (i.e. battery to casing).

4. No, my primary drills are all covered by warranty for the next year.

5. No, as in #4.

6. No.

Glad to help with your analysis! Good luck with fluid dynamics.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:

1. No. If it is not compatible with ANY other tools, it then requires a different charger. Meaning even more crap I have to carry around.
2. Neither. I never trust a new company I've never used unless someone I Trust let's me try one out before hand. Too expensive.
3. I expect a corded to be abused more but I do abuse my cordless one's like you wouldn't believe. In fact I go thru a lot of them quite often. I know people who have owned the same drills for years. I'm lucky to get two years out of one.
4. Yes. Most likely more then one.
5. Corded? Most likely not as I seem to take better care of them.
6. Yes. Both. Triggers and brushes and just about every piece of crappy plastic they install in them.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
I saw the double entendre and answered all possible meanings with one brief two letter word. Perhaps I could have wasted more time and said "neither".

But you are right, care in wording is important. I had to read it a couple of times and still was not sure.

IMO, if it meant "either a corded drill or a cordless", then it should have been worded as such. The way it is worded now is ambiguous

Advertisement