Old 03-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 3,748

Hell Yes!

The lawyers who took on Big Tobacco are aiming at Realtors and their 6% fee

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bi...fee-2019-03-19
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (03-20-2019), griz (03-19-2019), hdavis (03-20-2019), MarkJames (03-20-2019), TxElectrician (03-19-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 33,470

Re: Hell Yes!

Hard check to write but you don't have to pay them at all if you don't want their services...

Advertisement

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (03-20-2019), jproffer (03-20-2019), Rio (03-19-2019), SmallTownGuy (03-20-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
Hard check to write but you don't have to pay them at all if you don't want their services...
You need to read the article.

Itís all true and Iíve had multiple realtors tell me the same stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #4
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 6,188

Quote:
Yeah I always thought $30,000 seemed like a reasonable amount of money to take a few pictures, post them online with bad grammar and typos, host an open house, show the house 5 times, and fill out some paperwork.
Big Johnson (03-20-2019), Deckhead (03-20-2019), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (03-25-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 33,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Yeah I always thought $30,000 seemed like a reasonable amount of money to take a few pictures, post them online with bad grammar and typos, host an open house, show the house 5 times, and fill out some paperwork.
If it were that simple everyone would be doing it....

I remember the first house we bought decades ago... must have looked at 50+ houses at the time before we picked it...

Last thing I want to do is defend realtors, but reality is, you go into it with your eyes wide open on what you expect, and most importantly, agree to pay (i.e. - 6%)...

There are options to sell your home that don't involve an agent... But most people who are selling are also going to buy so while they get hit with the 6% on the way out they benefit on the way back in not paying any commission... someones got to bring the buyer and agents are also competing to do so...

It's why the median income of the majority of real estate agents is only an average of around $52K/year...
Old 03-19-2019, 11:10 PM   #6

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 210

They sure are good at getting the buyer and seller to hire a lot more professionals that take a lot of the work and responsibility off of both realtors.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:16 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,762

Fees are negotiable. I knew a broker that only did exclusive listings and charged 10%. I don't remember I I w much to be a buyer's broker.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 01:06 AM   #8
3 Jacks 2 Nines

Trade: Wannabe Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 290

I wish the lawyers that took on big tobacco would take on the lawyers...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bwiab For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (03-20-2019), finisher65 (03-20-2019), hdavis (03-20-2019), KAP (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 04:55 AM   #9
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 7,298

Quote:
If it were that simple everyone would be doing it....

I remember the first house we bought decades ago... must have looked at 50+ houses at the time before we picked it...

Last thing I want to do is defend realtors, but reality is, you go into it with your eyes wide open on what you expect, and most importantly, agree to pay (i.e. - 6%)...

There are options to sell your home that don't involve an agent... But most people who are selling are also going to buy so while they get hit with the 6% on the way out they benefit on the way back in not paying any commission... someones got to bring the buyer and agents are also competing to do so...

It's why the median income of the majority of real estate agents is only an average of around $52K/year...
yup
Old 03-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Fees are negotiable. I knew a broker that only did exclusive listings and charged 10%. I don't remember I I w much to be a buyer's broker.
The article suggests the buyers agents commission is whatís illegal because the guy paying it doesnít get to negotiate.

Read the article, it takes less time than to write all the bs you just wrote. Youíre a pain in the ass on here so itís not surprising that youíre a pain in the ass to your realtor, the one someone else paid for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 06:43 AM   #11
Pro

The median income is only $52K because the vast majority are part timers. They either have another job, stay at home mom/dad or just plain lazy and only want to work a couple hours a week.
Golden view (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 06:44 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Home improvement of all types
Rewards Points: 1,802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
The article suggests the buyers agents commission is whatís illegal because the guy paying it doesnít get to negotiate.

Read the article, it takes less time than to write all the bs you just wrote. Youíre a pain in the ass on here so itís not surprising that youíre a pain in the ass to your realtor, the one someone else paid for.
Need some coffee this morning ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Idothat For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 06:46 AM   #13
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 7,298

Rates here in Michigan are highly variable.

https://www.upnest.com/1/post/averag...mmission-rate/
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,370

Everything is negotiable.

Last two properties I bought, I didn't have my own "buyers" broker, I dealt directly with the sellers listing agent. I was looking at some property last week I found through "realtor.com" and they had some call center trying to push me to have another agent represent me.

I didn't need to have my own agent. I'm a big boy and can negotiate my own deals. If the seller wants to sell, they will sell is what I told them.
hdavis (03-20-2019), KAP (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
The article suggests the buyers agents commission is what’s illegal because the guy paying it doesn’t get to negotiate.

Read the article, it takes less time than to write all the bs you just wrote. You’re a pain in the ass on here so it’s not surprising that you’re a pain in the ass to your realtor, the one someone else paid for.
I read it before I posted. If sellers don't like standard terms, they can negotiate their own if a broker is willing.. I"ve never used the standard terms.

Last edited by hdavis; 03-20-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:25 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
Everything is negotiable.

Last two properties I bought, I didn't have my own "buyers" broker, I dealt directly with the sellers listing agent. I was looking at some property last week I found through "realtor.com" and they had some call center trying to push me to have another agent represent me.

I didn't need to have my own agent. I'm a big boy and can negotiate my own deals. If the seller wants to sell, they will sell is what I told them.
Seller brokers may kick in part of their commission when you do that, but it really depends on the circumstances. It's negotiable by the buyer.

Last edited by hdavis; 03-20-2019 at 07:28 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
TimNJ (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #17
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 13,054

We're thinking of selling in the fall. I'm not going to use an agent. Last two houses I bought, no agents used.

I find them to be less helpful than they're worth. For the amount of money I have to pay them they have to make my life exponentially easier. Their cost to value ratio isn't there for me, so I simply don't use them.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:45 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,162

Anybody else remember FSBO?

Tom
Old 03-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #19
Pro

Most buyers around here are signed with an agent. If you don’t agree to pay the agents fee they will not allow the deal to happen. Been there and done that. I was fsboing once and the buyers agent demanded 4%. I refused and she killed the whole deal. Buyers were pissed they lost out on the house but I moved on and found another buyer.
hdavis (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
The article suggests the buyers agents commission is what’s illegal because the guy paying it doesn’t get to negotiate.

Read the article, it takes less time than to write all the bs you just wrote. You’re a pain in the ass on here so it’s not surprising that you’re a pain in the ass to your realtor, the one someone else paid for.
I've had a fair number of real estate transactions. The agents love me because I know what I'm doing and I don't BS around. The seller's agent makes their money when the listing contract is signed. The buyer's agent usually does way more work when there are seller and buyer's agents compared to the seller's agent.

The first clue a RE agent is going to get the listing and do nothing is when you ask them about the listing price and sales price. If the listing price is way above what the actual sale price is likely to be, they're more interested in getting the listing than giving sound advice. Or, it could be they don't know the market. Either way, it's a flag.

Advertisement

Last edited by hdavis; 03-20-2019 at 07:51 AM.