Haven't Been Around For A While. - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Haven't Been Around For A While.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,560

Haven't Been Around For A While.

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. It's probably been a year. There's probably lots of new guys. Hope all is going well

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JT Wood For This Useful Post:
asevereid (09-26-2018), Calidecks (09-27-2018), jlhaslip2 (09-27-2018), KAP (09-28-2018), Robie (09-26-2018), SLSTech (09-28-2018), SmallTownGuy (09-26-2018), sunkist (09-27-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 8,190

Re: Haven't Been Around For A While.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Wood View Post
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. It's probably been a year. There's probably lots of new guys. Hope all is going well

maternity leave ?

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
spazman

Trade: floorcovering installer
Rewards Points: 112

Welcome back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
Hack

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 362

You still driving /shipping?
Got the urge to put the belt back on yet?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
Old 09-27-2018, 05:40 AM   #5
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 14,026

Quote:

Good to see your still kicking man. Coming back down anytime soon?

I too am curious about your driving and if you're still doing it?

Story time!
JT Wood (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,128

Hi, bye!
Old 09-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 12,372

Good to hear from you!

How's Brutus?
Old 09-27-2018, 09:42 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
Good to hear from you!

How's Brutus?
Yeah man, I don't know where he is... he was gone a long time when I stepped out.. has Kato ever resurfaced?
Old 09-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #9
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,108

Quote:
Yeah man, I don't know where he is... he was gone a long time when I stepped out.. has Kato ever resurfaced?
Negatory

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #10
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 12,372

No. Bummer too. Kato was one of the best craftsman that came through here I thought. He had really neat projects.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Easy Gibson For This Useful Post:
asevereid (09-27-2018), JT Wood (09-28-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #11
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 4,454

Brutus joined the Canadian Coast Guard.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:16 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 10,144

Welcome back,, every time I see a family on holiday and 10 to 12 of them get out of the van I think of you You musta spent a fortune to eat every day
JT Wood (09-28-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 10:55 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Good to see your still kicking man. Coming back down anytime soon?

I too am curious about your driving and if you're still doing it?

Story time!
I'm hoping to go down south again this winter, but we'll have to see.

So last year I bought a Kenworth and rented a 53' reefer and was hauling plants and shrubs from a nursery in Kelowna,to Edmonton. About a 1200 mile round trip. I did this 2 or 3 times a week for a few months. After that I drove gravel truck, and did some equipment operating for a friend of mine who owns an excavating company locally for a couple months In the winter time I bought a logging trailer and hauled logs to the mill in Northern Alberta.

Overall it was a good decision, I needed a break from contracting. I was tired of being outside, invoicing, estimating and customers.

I made about the same income as the previous 2 years and I enjoyed my work. The downside Is I was gone from home probably 125 nights.

So this year, I was bumped up in the heirarchy at the nursury, and got in 3 months. Highlight of the season was my trip up to Whitehorse Yukon. Right at the Summer Solstace. It was still not dark at 3 am It was unusual to be so isolated, I went a full 600 miles without cell service, and probably passed a dozen or so cars in that time. I stopped for the night at a pullout, and I think 1 car drove by all night. I saw wild Buffalo,lots of black bears, A huge Grizzly A bald Eagle several bull Moose and some really interesting scenery. the picture of the parking lot is at between 2-3 am

Currently I am developing My basement. I think I will be Framing a house in about 6 weeks, and I haven't decided if I wanna haul logs after that. How's things with you? Are you an employee still? I seem to remember that didn't take?
Attached Thumbnails
Haven't been around for a while.-buffalo.jpg   Haven't been around for a while.-2-morning.jpg   Haven't been around for a while.-black-bear.jpg   Haven't been around for a while.-grizzly.jpg   Haven't been around for a while.-reservoir-3.jpg  

Haven't been around for a while.-truck.jpg   Haven't been around for a while.-grizzly1.jpg   Haven't been around for a while.-whitehorse.jpg   Haven't been around for a while.-reseervoir-2.jpg  

Last edited by JT Wood; 09-27-2018 at 11:44 PM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to JT Wood For This Useful Post:
asevereid (09-28-2018), Calidecks (09-27-2018), Deckhead (09-27-2018), eyeinstine (09-28-2018), griz (09-27-2018), hdavis (09-28-2018), Jaws (09-28-2018), KAP (09-28-2018), mrcat (09-28-2018), Robie (09-27-2018), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (09-28-2018), SmallTownGuy (09-28-2018), Snobnd (09-28-2018), tgeb (09-28-2018), TxElectrician (09-28-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 10:58 PM   #14
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 4,454

Wow!
Dirtywhiteboy (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:30 PM   #15
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 14,026

Quote:
I'm hoping to go down south again this winter, but we'll have to see.

So last year I bought a Kenworth and rented a 53' reefer and was hauling plants and shrubs from a nursery in Kelowna,to Edmonton. About a 1200 mile round trip. I did this 2 or 3 times a week for a few months. After that I drove gravel truck, and did some equipment operating for a friend of mine who owns an excavating company locally for a couple months In the winter time I bought a logging trailer and hauled logs to the mill in Northern Alberta.

Overall it was a good decision, I needed a break from contracting. I was tired of being outside, invoicing, estimating and customers.

I made about the same income as the previous 2 years and I enjoyed my work. The downside Is I was gone from home probably 125 nights.

So this year, I was bumped up in the heirarchy at the nursury, and got in 3 months. Highlight of the season was my trip up to Whitehorse Alaska. Right at the Summer Solstace. It was still not dark at 3 am It was unusual to be so isolated, I went a full 600 miles without cell service, and probably passed a dozen or so cars in that time. I stopped for the night at a pullout, and I think 1 car drove by all night. I saw wild Buffalo,lots of black bears, A huge Grizzly A bald Eagle several bull Moose and some really interesting scenery. the picture of the parking lot is at between 2-3 am

Currently I am developing My basement. I think I will be Framing a house in about 6 weeks, and I haven't decided if I wanna haul logs after that. How's things with you? Are you an employee still? I seem to remember that didn't take?
First off, good looking rig!

That looks like a dream. It'd be really cool if you could have two totally different careers just to break up the monotony of everyday life. Alaska sounds so cool. Parents went there and my Mom fell in love with the whole northern Canada/Alaska area. She said it's where she'd like to go to die. I get that. She said it's just so peaceful. We'll have to wait for the kids to get a bit older but bears, moose, and buffalo are things this Florida family only reads about... Might as well be Bigfoot

That whole area of the world is just so foreign and exotic to us. Those pictures probably don't even do it justice but still look majestic. Why are the lakes so emerald green? Soooo pretty. Is it a little like glacier national Park on steroids? So what's it like taking logs in the middle of winter? That's gotta be a little hairy right? Sorry so many questions

On the other front

I'm good. Couldn't do the employee thing. Really cool company but sitting on my Duff in an office just didn't work. That and there are politics involved and everyone knows I do really well keeping my mouth shut. I'm back at the carpentry thing, had a client or two call and it's been steady. Can't complain at all, the employee gig for a year really helped me focus on work time is work time (except lately because I've been in the office).

Give me a ring if you make it back down. We'll find room for you guys if you just wanna hang out for a fire and a BBQ and a couple beers for dads.
JT Wood (09-28-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:55 PM   #16
Pro

I have to make a correction, It's Whitehorse Yukon

It's on the Alaska Highway, so I keep messing that up. Still very close though

The Blue dot is where I live. It took about 2 1/2 days each way. I'd love to do the Alaska Highway with My KLR at some point.

I am going to upload some dash cam videos tonight I'll put a link up to my channel Tomorrow Afternoon
Attached Thumbnails
Haven't been around for a while.-whitehorse-map.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JT Wood For This Useful Post:
asevereid (09-28-2018), Deckhead (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #17
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 2,256

That's really lush and green. I always imagined Yukon to be pretty bare in the summer, more like tundra.

That's real pretty.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:09 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 286

Love the Yukon!

I worked a summer of construction up in Cordova AK and hitchhiked back down to my parents house in Washington. It really is frontier country up there, really special.

Those Bison are neat to see in person. I could have reached out and grabbed some fur, but I didnít dare

But then again, I was only there for summer, none of that 60 degrees below 0 business

-Caleb

John 3:16
Old 09-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #19
Pro

If you fast forward to about a 1:10 you can see mountain goats just before I start descending the hill/mountain.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #20
Pro

in this one I was in Northern British Columbia. I came upon a cow moose that was on a bridge. She was scared to jump off, so she ran down the road. I followed at a distance, to help ensure she didn't do something dumb.

You can see toward the end that when a car came from the other side she slipped and fell, and then came back towards the way she came. Unfortunately the video doesn't show it that great, but I was laughing

Sorry about the shaky video. a 14L diesel engine shakes the truck when it's accelerating

Advertisement