Habitat For Humanity - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Habitat For Humanity

Old 03-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

Habitat For Humanity

The other thread about helping the elderly got me thinking about this.Wonder if any of you help out with Habitat.
My Gf's cousins are both retired engineers and run the Restore here ,All time donated.My GF is a school teacher and volunteers her time at the store a few days a week when schools out.
I recently volunteered my time to help build the next house.Not started yet.
In the mean time I went to the dedication of the last house they built.
A young guy and his wife with two young children.Brand new house and they came to the dedication both driving their own cars less than 2 years old.I don't know their circumstances but they appear to be better off than I.Free house,newer cars,probably food stamps and a government check.Like I said ,there are probably circumstances I'm not aware of .
I enjoy helping people out and have a good feeling about it so it helps me but,sometimes I wonder.Am I helping to give them a boost up to help themselves or am I helping them to be lazy and work the system which cost me even more?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
festerized (03-12-2015), illbuildit.dd (03-12-2015), nunya01 (03-12-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
El Conquistador

Trade: Master Electrician
Rewards Points: 166

Re: Habitat For Humanity

I personally think HFH is nothing more than a "feelgood" scam. I called them up years ago and asked if they needed any free help.
"No, we only use union contractors on our sites. We do need financial donations though."
Are you f'ing kidding me?
After the economy tanked, HFH kept building these mini-subdivisions of shoddy houses with off color vinyl siding. Meanwhile, there are thousands of well-built empty houses available for bargain prices that just need a little TLC to make them fit to move in.
HFH - I'm not buying it.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to nunya01 For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya01 View Post
I personally think HFH is nothing more than a "feelgood" scam. I called them up years ago and asked if they needed any free help.
"No, we only use union contractors on our sites. We do need financial donations though."
Are you f'ing kidding me?
After the economy tanked, HFH kept building these mini-subdivisions of shoddy houses with off color vinyl siding. Meanwhile, there are thousands of well-built empty houses available for bargain prices that just need a little TLC to make them fit to move in.
HFH - I'm not buying it.
When I found out that my foundation contractor was paid market or above value to pour foundations for HFH - the light bulb went off and I said hmmmm...

Besides, anytime I see any video of one of their sites - it seems to me there are a whole lot of photo opportunists walking around in dumb looking hard hats with brand new tool aprons on.

No patience for that kinda of stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contracting/Insurance Repair
Rewards Points: 10

I usually participate in Christmas is April here. It's one Saturday a year, and volunteers make repairs on 20-25 houses in our county. I've done it the last 5 years and all the recipients have been worthy and grateful. There's usually only a few pros there though, and a ton of cubicle workers. So the pros have a busy day teaching and working. But I like it.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
Head Light Bulb Changer

Trade: Renovation/Home Repair
Rewards Points: 216

Last year I tried to offer some services to HFH. Interior trim and/or siding/cornice, and only for jobs that were reasonably close to me. I kept getting replies to send me to houses that were well over an hour away and I declined them. They've built several houses very close to my home (within 10 miles) and they said they weren't interested. They already had crews lined up. I went and talked to one guy (trim) on a house and he had traveled 75 miles each way, and most of the other, experienced guys (crew leaders) had also traveled long distances. Didn't make sense to me, so I gave up trying to help them. It gives me personal satisfaction doing charity/volunteer work, and I don't mind trying to help out people, but my time IS valuable. Scheduling is just as important in a charity as a business and it seems like my local HFH chapter is unorganized.

I'm doing a BBQ (I'm cooking) for 100+ disabled people on Sunday. Some Vets, a lot of kids, and retired cops. Did one last year and had a BLAST!
Old 03-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
The other thread about helping the elderly got me thinking about this.Wonder if any of you help out with Habitat.
My Gf's cousins are both retired engineers and run the Restore here ,All time donated.My GF is a school teacher and volunteers her time at the store a few days a week when schools out.
A young guy and his wife with two young children.Brand new house and they came to the dedication both driving their own cars less than 2 years old.I don't know their circumstances but they appear to be better off than I.Free house,newer cars,probably food stamps and a government check.Like I said ,there are probably circumstances I'm not aware of .
I enjoy helping people out and have a good feeling about it so it helps me but,sometimes I wonder.Am I helping to give them a boost up to help themselves or am I helping them to be lazy and work the system which cost me even more?
I did i few years ago, did a frame sponsored by another company (i was paid by the sponsor) then came back and donated my time for one other frame. Came back Following year and did some misc. stuff, siding, tile, kitchen etc. awesome experience. The system is great, if you want a free house the customer must help other people before you get yours, so we had plenty of labors. By the 3rd day being there they knew how i wanted my coffee and what type of donuts we liked. Got on the news with some radio airtime too
Old 03-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
Pro

"I'm doing a BBQ (I'm cooking) for 100+ disabled people on Sunday. Some Vets, a lot of kids, and retired cops. Did one last year and had a BLAST! "

Good for you.That is the type of thing I enjoying doing and knowing exactly where my efforts and help are going.
It's jus so hard to tell anymore unless it's an event like yours.Hope you all have a good time.

I've done this many times for Toys for Tots,Childrens Hospital and things like that and know where my efforts are going.Rather do it for the kids directly than a family I know nothing about.

Last edited by mako1; 03-12-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

I did in college, it was a good experience. I know the local director on a personal level, and donate materials and stuff. I like working for Ronald McDonald house better though.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlsconstruction For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-13-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,624

Local chapter didn't want any help. They did like money though. Based on that I decided it wasn't something we'd be interested in.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #10
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 7,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
Yeah, basically everything you just said is full of ****.

Anytime you want to discuss H4H seriously, restart the thread with a little less slander MKAY sweetie?
Old 03-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: restoration/remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,272

The company that I work for did it about a year ago. We went as a "full crew" to help out. The person in charge had no clue what to do with us? We had 4 carpenters, 3 helpers, and my boss, LOL, there, 3 trucks, tools etc.! THEY knew we were coming with info before!

"can you hang drywall?" 1 sheet on site. "can you insulate the bedroom ceiling" none on site. "can you paint" reply was WHAT!!!

We left after about 2 hours of nothing! BUT WE DID TRY!

And as a p.s. my son worked in the area, and after the project did get done, the home-owner was seen with about 6-7, maybe 8, ?? kids, on the porch daily, and a BMW in front every day, never seen a husband/father there!

Would "I" do it again, NO
Old 03-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 321

Every chapter of HFH is different. one county to the next here, there is a huge difference. Never heard of anyone getting a free house out of the deal. Not sure that it works that way.

Easy Gibson
The Following User Says Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
Randy Bush (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #13
Pro

Samlltown guy:I f you will read my post I did not say anything bad about H4H.I said I don't have much of an understanding of how it all works.My family donates their time to it and I have offered my time on their next project.
I am trying to gain a better understanding of how a family that has two new cars and is doing better than a lot of people in this area is picked to get a new house built for them?Would you care to answer that for me.I'm trying to have a better understanding?
I would rather spend my time giving to other charities like Toys for Tots and the Childrens Hospital know more about what my time and money are doing.
I am on the list to help with H4H next project and will be pleased to be there.
What in my post gives you the right to say I am full of Chit from the things I have witnessed personally in my area?
I don't know what MKAY stands for and I'm damn sure not your sweetie.
Maybe try a little decaf ?
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Every chapter of HFH is different. one county to the next here, there is a huge difference. Never heard of anyone getting a free house out of the deal. Not sure that it works that way.
As I understand it they have to work so many hours on their own house.Unskilled labor and have to dedicate some hours on other houses being built by H4H in the area.Not a bad deal?If I'm wrong about his I;m sure small townguy will point it out.That is only my understanding of it.I do not know how the recipiants are selected but would like to learn more about that.

Waiting to get more info from John the builder? Not being sarcastic just wanting to learn?

Last edited by mako1; 03-12-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #15
Geometrist

No free houses. Go check out their website. The people get low rate mortgages and need to have the ability to make the payments.
Good info here

http://www.habitat.org/how/myths.aspx

Easy Gibson
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (03-13-2015), hdavis (03-13-2015), TxElectrician (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #16
Pro

Thanks for the link Warren.Would have been nice if the other poster could have done the same without attacking me.I started this post just to learn more about H4H.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: restoration/remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
No free houses. Go check out their website. The people get low rate mortgages and need to have the ability to make the payments.
Good info here

http://www.habitat.org/how/myths.aspx
YEP you are correct in MY OPINION here! It is still our money paying the BOTTOM line!

I sure don't want to go on the incorrect side here, BUT, if I am getting a help from the fed/state/local/etc. to get a house, is that not some-way still MY money paying for that??

OH! PS did they do a DRUG TEST to get the free money! I NEEDED to get my current JOB!!

I am sorry to vent here on this subject, BUT it does Frost my a##!
Old 03-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #18
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

Question: the development I worked on was 100% donated, land, materials and labor so how are they paying a mortgage?
The Following User Says Thank You to festerized For This Useful Post:
TxElectrician (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #19
Geometrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Pa View Post
YEP you are correct in MY OPINION here! It is still our money paying the BOTTOM line!

I sure don't want to go on the incorrect side here, BUT, if I am getting a help from the fed/state/local/etc. to get a house, is that not some-way still MY money paying for that??

OH! PS did they do a DRUG TEST to get the free money! I NEEDED to get my current JOB!!

I am sorry to vent here on this subject, BUT it does Frost my a##!
HFH is not run by the government. It is not your money paying for the house. If they didn't get a house, your taxes and mine would not change one bit. Your argument is better directed at other agencies.

Easy Gibson
Old 03-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Carpentry and Cabinet Making
Rewards Points: 186

I worked on a couple of h4h houses one summer while in college (I did my business degree part time as a returning adult student and the university had a requirement that you volunteer for a non profit). I figured it wouldn't be a bad way to meet this requirement, but I was completely turned off to h4h after that. The future owners just stood around, as did most of the volunteers. Also, the future owners sure didn't mind spending their money on rims, custom paint, and a sound system for their cars. I don't think I'd do this again. Sorry, but my time is too valuable.

Advertisement