Going To Africa - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Going To Africa

Old 05-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 14

Going To Africa

Not me But my oldest daughter is going to Libria , Africa end of June for 10 weeks . It is part of her schooling before she graduates in the fall. Going to be a licensed clinical social worker.

Just got though getting a ticket for her to the tune of 2200.00. She will be paying me back . Dad is always the banker that does not give her problems.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 160

Re: Going To Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush
Not me But my oldest daughter is going to Libria , Africa end of June for 10 weeks . It is part of her schooling before she graduates in the fall. Going to be a licensed clinical social worker.

Just got though getting a ticket for her to the tune of 2200.00. She will be paying me back . Dad is always the banker that does not give her problems.
That's going to be a great experience for her. I am in the same situation although my daughter will be going to India as a college class. And yes I have banking experience myself.

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: decks
Rewards Points: 2,076

was in monrovia in 96 for embassy evacuations, as well as congo C.A.R.
and removal of charles taylor from liberia
(22MEUSOC)

We bartered some mre's with locals in Lungi (freetown) sierra leone for some motorcycles and had an neat time exploring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Don

Trade: Renovator/ Builder
Rewards Points: 508

I actually wanna go to Africa to develop the country as its the richest country on earth yet the poorest I just need a navy seal team by my side lol
next on my list............planting trees for all those material i used
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

I have been to India few times and love it.

I would like to really see Africa (only one day in Cairo, which is really not Africa), but I had acquaintances from Africa and they often have very strong feelings, traditions and ethics.

The closest to real Africa was having a meal with friend from Ghana in northern MI. We decided to have wine. He asked for a small piece of plastic wrap and a paper towel and poured a bit of wine onto it (not ruining the floor) to toast his father that was buried somewhere on the Earth.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarex
I actually wanna go to Africa to develop the country as its the richest country on earth yet the poorest I just need a navy seal team by my side lol
Continent
Old 05-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

I wish her the best experiences!
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by SmallTownGuy; 05-20-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 589

It's fantastic that you are helping your daughter with this trip. I really think all young adults should spend some time over-seas. (I attended college for 3 months in Dubai!) The UAE is a great country but the experience of living outside of the US gave me an appreciation for this country that I probably never would have developed otherwise. I think I also learned more about life and about myself in those 3 months than during the rest of my college career! Best of luck to both of you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chopsaw Chick For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (05-21-2013), jhark123 (05-25-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopsaw Chick View Post
It's fantastic that you are helping your daughter with this trip. I really think all young adults should spend some time over-seas. (I attended college for 3 months in Dubai!) The UAE is a great country but the experience of living outside of the US gave me an appreciation for this country that I probably never would have developed otherwise. I think I also learned more about life and about myself in those 3 months than during the rest of my college career! Best of luck to both of you!
Thanks She has been going to college in Ellensburg, Wa Think it is her masters that she is working on right now.

Am sure it is going to be a big change for her. But she is really excited about it. An her daughter/ my grandaughter gradulates from high school in June, so she does not have that worry to deal with. I am very proud of her and what she has done with her life.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
John the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
was in monrovia in 96 for embassy evacuations, as well as congo C.A.R.
and removal of charles taylor from liberia
(22MEUSOC)

We bartered some mre's with locals in Lungi (freetown) sierra leone for some motorcycles and had an neat time exploring
Dogg!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: decks
Rewards Points: 2,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Dogg!
were you part of 22 meusoc in 96 too
Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 530

Hope they have good security for them over there. No way in hell I would let my kid go to that place. Isn't that where all the kidnappings are happening?

I hope she has a great time over there I guess my cautious side came out for a second sorry.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
Superior Firepower

Trade: GC HVAC/R Lic. since 1985
Rewards Points: 3,880

My friend Amy went to study there once. She came home in a box.
http://articles.latimes.com/1993-08-...1_south-africa
Old 05-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 5,446

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhook View Post
Sorry for your loss man...... And that leaves me to this why is it always the good ones that have to go..... Tragic loss to such a young life.
skyhook (05-22-2013), SmallTownGuy (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Framing,Siding.
Rewards Points: 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush

It's either Libya or Liberia, so which one?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

Randy -

Make sure whoever goes has some contacts and local/ex-patriate people to talk to and get the information straight on what to expect from the local situations - that is critical for preparation. Some contacts in Africa are great and if the can bring some appropriate social gifts that will do wonders to make friends when she gets there. When I visited Russia/Belarus the best thing to bring was instant coffee and it was easy to travel with and not subject to customs problems. When traveling, you need some local contacts (embassies, businesses, etc to use in an emergency). That is very valuable to give comfort and assurance.

As long as she is a tourist/student and just absorbs the country and not get involved in local situations and politics she will be fine, except all politicians around the world are not totally reliable. Real people and contacts are always better to meet and give assistance, since they are proud of the country's heritage and traditions.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 05-22-2013 at 07:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
DBCoop (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #17
John the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
were you part of 22 meusoc in 96 too
Me? Nooo, way to effing old A friends son was there. Youz guys - what was it 2500 semper fi's- it could've gone either way - there ain't no "trustables" in that place.

I reckon that puts you somewhere between 38-42 yrs old.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Bone Saw (05-31-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
It's either Libya or Liberia, so which one?
My bad did not spell it right , but it is Liberia.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
Dmitry (05-23-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Randy -

Make sure whoever goes has some contacts and local/ex-patriate people to talk to and get the information straight on what to expect from the local situations - that is critical for preparation. Some contacts in Africa are great and if the can bring some appropriate social gifts that will do wonders to make friends when she gets there. When I visited Russia/Belarus the best thing to bring was instant coffee and it was easy to travel with and not subject to customs problems. When traveling, you need some local contacts (embassies, businesses, etc to use in an emergency). That is very valuable to give comfort and assurance.

As long as she is a tourist/student and just absorbs the country and not get involved in local situations and politics she will be fine, except all politicians around the world are not totally reliable. Real people and contacts are always better to meet and give assistance, since they are proud of the country's heritage and traditions.

Dick
She will be working in a clinic over there, and guess it is a pretty secure compound that she will be staying in. And at 36 she has a pretty level head on her which helps alot too.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Different phrases of construction
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhook View Post

I am sory foryour loss. with al due respec she had itcomiing for goin toa place like that.

Advertisement