Gettin Back In The Seat This Weekend:) - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Gettin Back In The Seat This Weekend:)

Old 07-24-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,040

Gettin Back In The Seat This Weekend:)

Lined up a ride for this weekend's "freak show" that brings alot of racers and thousands of spectators out to the local 1/4mi. The car is'nt as fast but is a proven winner so hopefully I can keep it going and win a few pennies this weekend and beat the snot out of a buddies car...and the poor souls that dare to line up with me LOL!! I just provide the slicks and fuel, both of which I have plenty so WTF

Going out Fri night pending no FRIGGIN RAIN....to test and tune to adjust to new car, then let'r rip Sat. and either kick myself for taking the season off or kick myself for taking the season off LOL!!!!! Kinda liken it to quiting smoking or drinking....gettin back on the bandwagon...for just a taste ...wish me luck and hopefully I have good things to report back Sunday. all proceeds won will be given back to car owner minus my entry fees, least I can do for the guy.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2006, 10:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Re: Gettin Back In The Seat This Weekend:)

Hey Josh, Good Luck to You!

You have to give us the update on how it goes!

When's the last time you drove? Last year?

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 06:26 AM   #3

So whats up? Did you run? Break out? Stick your dial all night? Are you still alive? Good lights? Bad lights? C'mon man, I can't live vicariously through your racing if you don't keep me posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 08:38 AM   #4
Pro

LOL, I just copied this from another site where I had stuff posted. Car I drove is a 70 chevelle, 454, TH400, 2.73 geared rear end....that's right a 2.73 when it's supposed to be running a 4.56 gear with his 29" tall rear tires, but he blew that up last year and never replaced it.

Fri. night test and tuning results:
Results from tonight, spent first 4 passes trying to quicken this dog leaving car in for reaction time, I was still on kill with consistency once I made some adjustiments, .052, .052, .053 in a row but those were as fast as I could get the car to leave....1.825-1.829 60's in 8 passes all 12.237-12.26 at 112mph 4 of which were in the gamblers that I made the semi's and lost when I took waaaay tooo much stripe LOL!! Ran a 9 second car and figured he'd be coming harder than he did, waited until last minute, tapped the brakes and broke by .004 if that is'nt bad enough.....I took the stripe by .109 LMAO!! can you say rusty at the big end game Won a little money, enough to pay for tomorrow's entry so that's a plus, car is a consistant SOB so it's all on me.

Already got my slicks on this car, gonna pull my shorter front tires off the bird in the morning and throw them on the chevelle, 1" shorter so hoping it will quicken my up at least .025 in R/T since it'll break the beams quicker. Got rear psi maxed out so tires are not wadding, timing is maxed out for his pump gas motor at 40* so cant "turn in" more bottom end, and I bumped his rear air shocks to 50 psi so I started with .162 and .160 (.662 and. 660 for the ..500 tree guys) and after changes to tire psi and shocks got it to the .05 range, just need at least .03 quicker to be competative tomorrow and hoping the front tires will net what I'm hoping and will win more $$$

Funniest part of the day, I'm only going across the finish line in 2nd gear at 6300rpm....the car has a TH400 LMFAO!!! makes it nice and consistant though with only 1 shift at half track like a glide!!!!

Last edited by IHI; 07-31-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
Pro

Saturdays results:
Well, wish I had a better story to tell but I dont. Started this morning by taking my tires off the front of the bird since they are 1" shorter than what was on the Chevelle (his 28" to my 27") since they say 1" roughly equates into a .02 difference in R/T. First 2 times runs I lit the stage bulb like always and did a single pump to get in deeper for both pre elimination time runs and slips an hour apart were exactly identical except finish line ET 1st TT was a 12.123 and second run was a 12.125 then elimin's started. R/T dropped from previous nights .550's to .530's, nowhere near good enough to win so figured first round I'd go in 2 pumps since I could bye back.

First round of elimns I went 2 pumps into the beams after lighting the stage bulbs and was running a 9 second car so knew he'd charge hard at the top end, by the 1000' mark I knew he'd never catch me so I glided it home dragging the brakes and took the win. Slip showed my .012 R/T to his .193 so it was done at the tree, pass showed I was running .03 slower exactly at every increment so I chaulked that up to going in deeper when staging and fiogured next round I'd do the same and slowed down my dial accordingly.

Second round and I pair up with a 11.69 car so I had a slight head start, by the 1/8th mile we were literally staring each other in the eyes the whole back half of the track waiting to see if either one of us would dump or if it was a drag race to the finish....crossed the line and he got the light. I knew I did'nt quite get the double deep double bump in stage position I needed for a good light in this slow leaving car and slips proved it with my .050 to his .051 R/T and then between the 660' and the finish line the car lost .03 so I ended up running a 12.18 on a 12.15 dial, he ran his number with a 7 so it more than made up for the tiny difference in R/T. All I can think of is it was cloudy then sunny all morning and then before our second round the sun was beating down for a good hour, guess the track got a little tackey thus resulting in a .03 loss in the back half of the track

Oh well, was still fun and obviously I was'nt in the true killer state of mind since I was'nt too pizzed about losing so it never would've happened going to the finals anyways. The show itself was a joke to say the least, all the outlaws chained down the front ends so they left like pro-stockers, had 2 out of 12 cars that pulled wheelie's and they were no bigger than mine used to be so that was very pathetic to say the least. Makes me want to get the bird going again since I know that ar and knew how to tune it for kill, but we'll wait till i can build what I want so it does what I want.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:22 AM   #6

Sounds like you kept the dial pretty good considering it was a strange car. Had a 69 velle that, depending on weather, would better it's run as the day went on. Hard to predict at first, but learned it as the season went on.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
Pro

This Chevelle has been one of the I call "lucky cars" that no matter what engine/drivetrain BBC/SBC the correct rear gears or incorrect rear gears has always been very consistant. Typically, and this is'nt any BS, my buddy would show up, make 2 TT's and they always turn out the same, he'd put that on the window and leave it all day. If it was a long day racing and went into the night with cooler air it'd pick up a little bit but the brake pedal is right there so it was no biggie.

I've always like to bag .01-.02 personally along with short shifting the car, this way if I know I cut a less than stellar light, or could feel my car spin a bit I had enough room to catch back up and still be in the game as opposed to dialing true and having something go wrong and just be done with no chance. Personally with my car and the passes I made in this car I've never seen either one drop .03 on the back half of the track, I've seen variances of .03-.05 in the first 660' but never the last 660'...was very strange, but like I said the sun at that point had been out in full force and I'm sure with all the VHT they sprayed prior to us running it really tacked up and gave enough friction to slow it down that much...oh well.

Brother in law was over yesterday trying to get me to install his old 355 back-up motor in my car. One side of me wants to since it's all bolted up from carb to pan so it'd just be hooking wiring back up and raditor hoses. But I still have fresh memories of wrenching and midnight oil burning and I HATE doing things twice knowing I'll build another mill in the near future so I keep using that as my excuse not to do it....sure miss cruising with the boys though on off race weekends. The racing and cars has been my stress relief the past 4 years (until tax time and I see annual expenses so this summer has been literally all work and no play. Been nice spending time with the family though and not having to explain to my daughter every Fri night why I'll be gone for the next 2 days.

I had fun, no matter what it's tough to junp into a new never been driven by you car and try to compete at this level but figured WTF....especially a car that is set-up for a lot lesser demanding class with less places on the car to tune for the driver. I know I let 2 others drive my car when it was a fun race like this weekend, the one driver (actually drove it twice total) jumped in, we did some passes and changed car to him and he won 2 no-box finals. The other guy was able to go 5 rounds in it and get into the money rounds....having the right parts and ability to change things without major work is a huge plus....the car i was driving this weekend is just an everyday stock street car and I tried my best to optimize it to me, but there was'nt enough in the car to complete that task. Still won some money Fri and took out 2 hitters along the way so it was'nt all bad LOL!!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:01 AM   #8

Where'd you race, Josh? A track down in Iowa?

Glad to hear you had a blast!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:29 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty
Where'd you race, Josh? A track down in Iowa?

Glad to hear you had a blast!
The past 4 years I ran at Cedar Falls Raceway for points and Summit Super Series, on off weekends when not chasisng points I was chasisng purses at Eddyville Raceway (1/8mi track) and Earlville Raceway (NHRA 1/4mi) and 3 times a year would run at Cordova 1/4mi in Cordova IL. All of the tracks are in IA., my track is 20 minutes away, Earlville was 1hr away, Eddyville was 1.5hrs away and Cordova was 2hr away. There are a few other drag stripes in IA that run 1/8th mi but I was content running the 4 I ran at...they seemed to have good entry to payout ratios, the NHRA track was a walk in the park since competition was no where near what I ran at CFR soo that was a give me race (only ever lost 2 races and both of those were in the finals-1 was a red light and the other loss was a brain fart when I lifted too soon and guy drove around me...and that one was for a Walley no less LOL!!

Last year I was really going for the Points championship at home track and was in 1st -3rd all season long in a epic battle all season between the top 3 guys in points and in the SSS for our track I was in 1st or 2nd all season. I lost my motor with 1 race weekend left (2 races) and it dropped me to 4th in track points and 3rd in the summit super series, huge dissappointment and huge cut in year end payout, but by that time of the year I was soo burnt out making sure everything was in tip top shape before each race instead of putting the back up motor in my car, I jumped in the yellow truck in my sig (that we rarely get out) and were plagued with chasis problems the first race and electrical problems the last race) so it was really my fault I did'nt do better than I did, but I was soo happy the season was over since I knew I was taking time off for a few years.

Us drag racers and the roundy round mud packer guys always flip chit back and forth, but the point I make to them is they have 20-30 laps and 20-30 minutes to fix a mistake they made early in a race, we have 10 seconds to make everything happen perfectly. In my racing it's not who performs the best that wins...it's who screws up the least-literally. The amount of concentration mentally is what burns you out, my wife rarely showed upto races since I would basically seclude myself and focus on the task at hand, I even stopped pitting with close freinds since they raced a lesser class (fun class with lower entry which means no stress or real motivator to perform) they always had their kids out there running around casuing drama, runnng in and out of the trailers, etc, not to mention they said I was'nt any fun to hang out with at the track since I did'nt talk much...but at $3-4K a month for my program vs $2-300 a month for theirs I could not afford to be distracted....making your owns stress I guess LOL!! I miss the adrenaline rush, I miss the smells, the G forces, the competition, but do not miss the costs and amount of behind the scenes to make sure everything is ready to go to compete aginst guys with $50K+ cars that are track only set-up specifically for bracket racing, where I just ran my street strip car and laughed when I trailered them LOL!!!

Advertisement