Gamers - New Fallout Game Coming Soon - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Gamers - New Fallout Game Coming Soon

Old 05-30-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Framing, Roofing, Siding
Rewards Points: 1,096

Gamers - New Fallout Game Coming Soon

I don't play a lot, but when I get into a game, I'll play for an hour or two every night for 3-4 weeks and then won't play again for 6 months. One game series I've played is Fallout (3, New Vegas, 4) and coming soon Fallout 76. Teaser trailer dropped today and in a few hours, it has 3+ million views. Trailer hints at a West Virginia post-apocalyptic setting in the year 2076 (tricentennial).

Press conference announcement coming June 10th from the LA convention expo E3. Stay tuned, Fallout fans.
Page 77 has the updated, complete list.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattK For This Useful Post:
asevereid (05-30-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
Lazy Millennial

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 582

Re: Gamers - New Fallout Game Coming Soon

I haven't played video games much lately but I'd pick up a new fallout game as something to do during the winter. I'll wait for the reviews however.

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,288

My gaming computer is now heading over 8 years old. It plays things a couple years old, but needs a complete redo for any thing new.

I used to be a big gamer, but just don't have the interest these days. High ping internet has also contributed to my lack of interest these days.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
My gaming computer is now heading over 8 years old. It plays things a couple years old, but needs a complete redo for any thing new.

I used to be a big gamer, but just don't have the interest these days. High ping internet has also contributed to my lack of interest these days.

I don't know what high ping internet is, lol and I've never been much of a computer gamer.

Went from Nintendo, to SNES, 64, PS1/2 and so on. Always traded in the last system and 20 games to buy the new system and if I was lucky maybe 1 or 2 games with it. Looking back, I find I enjoyed the older stuff more and wish I had kept those systems and game series. (Goldeneye, Mario, Gran Turismo, Twisted Metal, older Madden and NHL games, Mortal Kombats, Doom, etc)

Even now I have an Xbox One and only have a couple games. Just don't have the interest I once did, and definitely not the time. I think I put 100 hours into Fallout 4 when that came out and it probably took over a year to do. You appreciate it more when your relaxation time is so limited in what you can do and when.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,288

Satellite internet. 6-800 ms of ping. Hard to play first person shooters.

Doesn't really matter though, like I said, not as interested these days.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
Satellite internet. 6-800 ms of ping. Hard to play first person shooters.

Doesn't really matter though, like I said, not as interested these days.

I see, understood. Whenever I played FPS, I was always more interested in the campaign vs multiplayer so that wouldn't have bothered me. Its one of the reasons I liked the 2016 version of DOOM, the campaign was extensive and really well done, the MP was below average and clunky.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
Pro

To get back to Fallout for a moment, Amazon is already taking preorders even before we know what it is or when it's coming out. They through 12/31/2019 as the release date to get started with and if you have a Prime acct, you save 20% off any preorder, so it's down to $47.99.

Been on 2 days and it's quickly become the #1 selling Xbox One game on Amazon, lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestseller...s_6469296011_1
Old 06-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
Pro

Probably the last update, not sure if there's that many gamers on CT.

Fallout 76 was fully announced at E3 last night. Showed a few trailers about the game. Not sure what to think yet. I prefer these games to be solo campaigns, they're incorporating MP into the playthrough...how's that going to work?

Too many questions but I cautiously trust Bethesda. They've built Fallout, Skyrim and DOOM megahits in the past, so we'll see.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/2G2v...reveal-e3-2018
Old 06-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #9
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 358

If you really liked the older systems then I highly recommend you look up emulation. At one point I had my media pc(which is all I use for tv and music) set up to play my favorite games from the atari systems up to the PS1. It could also play all the old arcade games with up to 4 players.

There are a couple good apps for android to get try it out first. I had Genesis and SNES apps at one point.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
If you really liked the older systems then I highly recommend you look up emulation. At one point I had my media pc(which is all I use for tv and music) set up to play my favorite games from the atari systems up to the PS1. It could also play all the old arcade games with up to 4 players.

There are a couple good apps for android to get try it out first. I had Genesis and SNES apps at one point.
Yea, thanks Ethan. I actually did explore what emulation was all about after listening to a few convos on here between you and others last year. Ultimately, I don't think it's for me. I don't have a high replay value in games, even nostalgic titles from my childhood.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:42 PM   #11
Talking Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK View Post
Yea, thanks Ethan. I actually did explore what emulation was all about after listening to a few convos on here between you and others last year. Ultimately, I don't think it's for me. I don't have a high replay value in games, even nostalgic titles from my childhood.
Yeah, that's the big factor. I'm not too into new games. Road rash on the genesis is still my go to game for 10 minutes of down time.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
Yeah, that's the big factor. I'm not too into new games. Road rash on the genesis is still my go to game for 10 minutes of down time.
My all time favorite was Rock N Roll racing for SNES. Easily put a few thousand hours into that one with my brother and our friends. Being 12 was awesome.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #13
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 1,868

Super Tecmo Bowl was my game of choice. I like the Mario rpg too.

That said, and the reason I'm asking is because I'm WAY outta my league here. My son has been begging for a gaming system for a year. We always said we would fully embrace whatever our kids really like and he is a tech kid. Daughter hates it, she'd rather be in the shop.

I digress. So my son is 7, and we decided to get him a gaming system for his birthday. He really likes all the tech behind it and the multiplayer stuff. Which is the system for him? We were leaning towards the Xbox but after doing some reading PS4 seems to have a cult like following with more overall users?

He got me playing a real life version of "fortnite" the other day. Really made me realize how much he likes playing these games at his friends houses. I will be playing any games he has as well which is the rule. Not with all his buddies here but day-to-day I will be his partner in it so I know what is going on because all these things are hooked to the internet. So my question is, what console has some decent parental controls on it and is going to be around long enough I'm not dropping another thousand bucks in a couple years?

You guys speak my language, so figured I'd be better off asking you guys than hardcore gamers. Sorry to steal the thread, I just need some help in this area as I've played some video games on my phone (more than I like to admit at times like almost an hour a day for a couple months) but haven't had a gaming console in forever.

It'd be a big help as trades people just seem to have a different mindset.

I apologize again if I derailed the thread.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #14
Talking Head

I have an xbox and it's a good system but my feeling is that they are both good(and bad) so I'd let him pick. He's going to be happy either way and probably won't have more sophisticated taste until the next generation. That said, good call on being his partner, aside from some very adult situations in games now, the community can quickly become toxic and inappropriate so it's better for the two of you to be communicating than him and some strangers.
The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #15
Pro

Happy to help. I can't speak well on the multiplayer tech, those games were just never my interest, I always preferred RPGs where as you progress and "level up", your character becomes geared to what style you prefer. For example, in Fallout if you like to run and gun at high speeds you would not build out the same way as if you liked to hide, croutch sneak around and use melee weapons for hand to hand combat.

As for the systems, Xbox One X is the only system that fully supports 4k, you'll need a 4k compatible tv to work with it. The Playstation Pro is the 2nd best option available if you want to stick with Sony. There is speculation that Microsoft is already working on the next gen system to drop in 2020, no news as far as I know from a PS5.

Additionally, Xbox supports backwards compatibility where I don't believe Playstation does. This means some of the games on a previous system will be playable on the next gen. I own an Xbox One and Xbox 360. Of the 7 or 8 games I own for the previous, I'd say 5 work on the One, so not all will work but it's nice that your son could trade the old system and keep all the games.

Another notable point is the fact that both systems have exclusive AAA rated titles they block from the other. Twisted Metal, Unchartered, God of War, Gran Turismo all are Sony exclusives. Halo, Forza Horizon/Motorsports, Gears of War and Sea of Thieves are all Microsoft exclusives. So if you/your son love a game series you'll regret buying the wrong system that won't support it. I love Twisted Metal and played all the classics as a kid and now that there is talk of a future title on 4k, I'm not thrilled it won't be available for the Xbox.

Regarding the hard drive space, if you guys will have a few dozen games or less, you'll be fine with the less expensive options. It becomes a problem if you have tons of games and have them all pre-installed due to their size(ready for play at any time) so put some thought into that as well.

I'd think Ethan or others can speak to the multiplayer aspects much better than I. And I know even less about the parental controls available. Hope what I did offer was helpful. Which are you leaning towards?

Last edited by MattK; 06-18-2018 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Deckhead (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #16
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Happy to help. I can't speak well on the multiplayer tech, those games were just never my interest, I always preferred RPGs where as you progress and "level up", your character becomes geared to what style you prefer. For example, in Fallout if you like to run and gun at high speeds you would not build out the same way as if you liked to hide, croutch sneak around and use melee weapons for hand to hand combat.

As for the systems, Xbox One X is the only system that fully supports 4k, you'll need a 4k compatible tv to work with it. The Playstation Pro is the 2nd best option available if you want to stick with Sony. There is speculation that Microsoft is already working on the next gen system to drop in 2020, no news as far as I know from a PS5.

Additionally, Xbox supports backwards compatibility where I don't believe Playstation does. This means some of the games on a previous system will be playable on the next gen. I own an Xbox One and Xbox 360. Of the 7 or 8 games I own for the previous, I'd say 5 work on the One, so not all will work but it's nice that your son could trade the old system and keep all the games.

Another notable point is the fact that both systems have exclusive AAA rated titles they block from the other. Twisted Metal, Unchartered, God of War, Gran Turismo all are Sony exclusives. Halo, Forza Horizon/Motorsports, Gears of War and Sea of Thieves are all Microsoft exclusives. So if you/your son love a game series you'll regret buying the wrong system that won't support it. I love Twisted Metal and played all the classics as a kid and now that there is talk of a future title on 4k, I'm not thrilled it won't be available for the Xbox.

Regarding the hard drive space, if you guys will have a few dozen games or less, you'll be fine with the less expensive options. It becomes a problem if you have tons of games and have them all pre-installed due to their size(ready for play at any time) so put some thought into that as well.

I'd think Ethan or others can speak to the multiplayer aspects much better than I. And I know even less about the parental controls available. Hope what I did offer was helpful. Which are you leaning towards?
Very helpful.

As far as parental controls my biggest thing is I can lock it out more-so than anything else. No chores - no games. Every successful parent I have seen has done things with their kids, as long as I stay invested in what he's doing I can direct it. If it gets out of hand I can stop it. That's my main concern, I've already checked out a couple games and I'm okay (not excited but okay) with fortnite, Fallout is off limits for quite a few years. I want to use gaming to direct him down that path of technology, my brother is in IT forensics and loves his job and is paid very handsomely for it.

Leaning towards PlayStation right now. Only because my friend had Final Fantasy 6(?) And I loved just watching it. Story and picture were amazing at the time. Was reading up on it and some people are speculating 2-1/2 years on PS5. We won't have more than a dozen games because we are the type of people (son included) who don't like to do something until we get really good at it. Being as he'll only have an hour or two on it a day (we'll discuss time after I see how he acts afterwards) and will take quite a bit of time before he gets really good at a game.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Very helpful.

As far as parental controls my biggest thing is I can lock it out more-so than anything else. No chores - no games. Every successful parent I have seen has done things with their kids, as long as I stay invested in what he's doing I can direct it. If it gets out of hand I can stop it. That's my main concern, I've already checked out a couple games and I'm okay (not excited but okay) with fortnite, Fallout is off limits for quite a few years. I want to use gaming to direct him down that path of technology, my brother is in IT forensics and loves his job and is paid very handsomely for it.

Leaning towards PlayStation right now. Only because my friend had Final Fantasy 6(?) And I loved just watching it. Story and picture were amazing at the time. Was reading up on it and some people are speculating 2-1/2 years on PS5. We won't have more than a dozen games because we are the type of people (son included) who don't like to do something until we get really good at it. Being as he'll only have an hour or two on it a day (we'll discuss time after I see how he acts afterwards) and will take quite a bit of time before he gets really good at a game.
You're setup to do well with this. My dad walked in the door after 6 every night. I was home from school by 2. I'd play nonstop and then when they got home would say homework was done so I could play some more. I still had decent grades on testing alone but couldn't hide the "Student not completing homework" messages all over report cards. Anyways, he pulled all my controllers from the SNES thinking that was that. Two weeks later he caught me with my backup set of controllers recently traded from a schoolmate for a few Frank Thomas baseball cards. So, laughing he rips all the cables out of the wall from the receptacle and from the tv saying good luck playing now... I had backup cables within a matter of hours, not weeks, unhooked and hid them between the mattress and box spring every single night....and I was only about 9 years old. Don't be surprised how crafty your boy may be if he disagrees with your gaming decisions!
Deckhead (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:35 PM   #18
Pro

For non-violent games, you may want to look into the FIFA series. My nephew, 8, plays and loves it. They're quite fun to play with him especially where I'm not a soccer fan. I think they're this generation's version of our Madden games of the 90s.
Deckhead (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #19
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
You're setup to do well with this. My dad walked in the door after 6 every night. I was home from school by 2. I'd play nonstop and then when they got home would say homework was done so I could play some more. I still had decent grades on testing alone but couldn't hide the "Student not completing homework" messages all over report cards. Anyways, he pulled all my controllers from the SNES thinking that was that. Two weeks later he caught me with my backup set of controllers recently traded from a schoolmate for a few Frank Thomas baseball cards. So, laughing he rips all the cables out of the wall from the receptacle and from the tv saying good luck playing now... I had backup cables within a matter of hours, not weeks, unhooked and hid them between the mattress and box spring every single night....and I was only about 9 years old. Don't be surprised how crafty your boy may be if he disagrees with your gaming decisions!
I was a complete ****head growing up and would do things just because my parents told me I couldn't. The thing that never happened was my dad never played with me. He did things with me that he wanted to do, not me. I try to do the opposite. Before I got married he told me his number one regret was not being there for when his family wanted him and only being there when we needed him. Told me to make that right.

Since then I've gotten into chickens (I loathe birds), just recently acquired a couple ponies (not a fan of horses), and will be a gamer in the coming years. Just doing what they love is kinda cool. Going to be harder with my boy because he doesn't like iutside stuff. We'll carve out some time and make it worthwhile.

Games just require a lot of oversight I think. Honestly I like playing games so I'll probably get into it too. Wife probably won't be too stoked but she has a bunch of chickens soooo.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,898

Now ruled a mental health disorder.

Perhaps gun related??????

Advertisement