Fishing Reports - Page 3 - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Fishing Reports

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #41
Radical Basement Dweller
 
Robie's Avatar
 
Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,291
Rewards Points: 5,642

Re: Fishing Reports


Name:  deckman1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  70.5 KB
__________________
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers.
Robie is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (01-21-2019), TxElectrician (01-21-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 01-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #42
Pro
 
deckman22's Avatar
 
Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, Tx.
Posts: 4,212
Rewards Points: 2,556

Re: Fishing Reports


Good one Robie. I just showed that to my wife and said "look at the one I let go". She's not very pc savy and knows nothing of photoshopping and was duly amazed at the size of the one I let go, ha.
__________________
Deckman
deckman22 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deckman22 For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (01-21-2019), Robie (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #43
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 8,012
Rewards Points: 14,588

Re: Fishing Reports


When I was offshore all the time we had a forum we'd all frequent. There was a running joke about elbows in and elbows out fish. That turned into never showing your face and always holding the fish in front of your head. One guy is 7'2" tall so we'd never let him take a pic with any of them...
__________________
Dont make fun of the people who post from their moms basement... they're a little unstable.
Deckhead is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (01-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #44
Pro
 
deckman22's Avatar
 
Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, Tx.
Posts: 4,212
Rewards Points: 2,556

Re: Fishing Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
When I was offshore all the time we had a forum we'd all frequent. There was a running joke about elbows in and elbows out fish. That turned into never showing your face and always holding the fish in front of your head. One guy is 7'2" tall so we'd never let him take a pic with any of them...
The Sharkathon tourney on PINS you have to show your shark beside an approved ruler, as it's a catch and release tourney. You would not believe the size of some of the sharks caught off that beach. Almost makes me not want to wadefish that beach. Two are etched permanently in my brain, Billy Sandifer's huge Tiger, 14' plus in length hoisted up on a special telephone pole in Corpus. Along with a 10' plus mako caught by a youngster at the time known as Oz, the most impressive set of teeth of any shark is on those mako's.

One of the bummers of modern picture taking is, no paper photograph only a digital copy. I've lost countless fish pictures when my last desktop crashed. Even took it to pc specialist to recover files, no go tho. My 24" rainbow trout is now just another fish tale, ha. Had a pic of him next to a tape measure for accuracy too.
__________________
Deckman
deckman22 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to deckman22 For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #45
Radical Basement Dweller
 
Robie's Avatar
 
Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,291
Rewards Points: 5,642

Re: Fishing Reports


Fishing Reports-deckman22-1.jpg
__________________
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers.
Robie is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #46
Pro
 
deckman22's Avatar
 
Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, Tx.
Posts: 4,212
Rewards Points: 2,556

Re: Fishing Reports


Thanks Robie. You da man!
__________________
Deckman
deckman22 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to deckman22 For This Useful Post:
Robie (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #47
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 8,012
Rewards Points: 14,588

Re: Fishing Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by deckman22 View Post
The Sharkathon tourney on PINS you have to show your shark beside an approved ruler, as it's a catch and release tourney. You would not believe the size of some of the sharks caught off that beach. Almost makes me not want to wadefish that beach. Two are etched permanently in my brain, Billy Sandifer's huge Tiger, 14' plus in length hoisted up on a special telephone pole in Corpus. Along with a 10' plus mako caught by a youngster at the time known as Oz, the most impressive set of teeth of any shark is on those mako's.

One of the bummers of modern picture taking is, no paper photograph only a digital copy. I've lost countless fish pictures when my last desktop crashed. Even took it to pc specialist to recover files, no go tho. My 24" rainbow trout is now just another fish tale, ha. Had a pic of him next to a tape measure for accuracy too.
Makos are one of the funnest fish to catch in the ocean. They'll jump like a Marlin and go on bruising tears the opposite direction like a grouper. Also one of the few that doesn't piss out of it's skin. Unlike most sharks, they're absolutely delicious.

Some people like black tips but I think they're horrible no matter how fast you bleed, gut, and pack them with ice... They just aren't that good to me. Mako though, it was awesome.
__________________
Dont make fun of the people who post from their moms basement... they're a little unstable.
Deckhead is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 01:12 PM   #48
Pro
 
deckman22's Avatar
 
Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, Tx.
Posts: 4,212
Rewards Points: 2,556

Re: Fishing Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Makos are one of the funnest fish to catch in the ocean. They'll jump like a Marlin and go on bruising tears the opposite direction like a grouper. Also one of the few that doesn't piss out of it's skin. Unlike most sharks, they're absolutely delicious.

Some people like black tips but I think they're horrible no matter how fast you bleed, gut, and pack them with ice... They just aren't that good to me. Mako though, it was awesome.
I've never had the pleasure to eat some mako, tho I've heard the same thing, very good eating. I have caught blacktip and do like them. I think like with most fish/wild game it's how it prepared that makes the difference. I've seen plenty of people gobble down something that if they knew what it was would turn their nose up and refuse to eat it. Audad and Blackbuck as game animals, duck as fowl, and carp and catfish as fish are examples of the above statement.

One of my ex-deckbuilding buds now fishing capt. at the coast was on Shark Week TV show catching mako shark making huge leaps out of the water. Blacktip are known to do the same thing just not as dramatically. During a saltwater tourney I had a 5-6' blacktip leap over the front of the boat we were fishing in. I managed to catch one about 3.5' long without a leader being lucky enough to hook him right in the side of the jaw. We were trying to catch upper slot reds in the surf but, had to give up on that as the sharks nailed the bait soon as it hit the water.
__________________
Deckman
deckman22 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to deckman22 For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (01-21-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #49
Pro
 
deckman22's Avatar
 
Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, Tx.
Posts: 4,212
Rewards Points: 2,556

Re: Fishing Reports


The trout over in the Guadalupe are still biting. Went back to the same spot as last time and I swear I caught that same brown trout, let him go again as he's a tad under size limit. Caught a couple of smaller rainbows then went back to the launch site's big hole. Hooked into what would have been a keeper holdover rainbow but he shook off as I was trying to land him. No grilled trout tonight but, still an enjoyable trip.
__________________
Deckman
deckman22 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deckman22 For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (02-06-2019), TxElectrician (02-07-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 11:37 PM   #50
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 8,012
Rewards Points: 14,588

Re: Fishing Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by deckman22 View Post
The trout over in the Guadalupe are still biting. Went back to the same spot as last time and I swear I caught that same brown trout, let him go again as he's a tad under size limit. Caught a couple of smaller rainbows then went back to the launch site's big hole. Hooked into what would have been a keeper holdover rainbow but he shook off as I was trying to land him. No grilled trout tonight but, still an enjoyable trip.
Worst day of fishing is better than the best day of working.

Doesn't sound like a worst day either... Thanks for the update.
__________________
Dont make fun of the people who post from their moms basement... they're a little unstable.
Deckhead is online now  
Old 02-07-2019, 12:40 AM   #51
Pro
 
deckman22's Avatar
 
Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, Tx.
Posts: 4,212
Rewards Points: 2,556

Re: Fishing Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Worst day of fishing is better than the best day of working.

Doesn't sound like a worst day either... Thanks for the update.
Any day fishing is a good day. Probably should get over to Basspro for a new lure and or replacement hooks. Fish shaking off means dull hooks.
__________________
Deckman
deckman22 is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #52
Pro
 
TxElectrician's Avatar
 
Trade: Electrical
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 7,119
Rewards Points: 3,262

Re: Fishing Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by deckman22 View Post
Any day fishing is a good day. Probably should get over to Basspro for a new lure and or replacement hooks. Fish shaking off means dull hooks.
Yeah, that's always my excuse.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
TxElectrician is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #53
Pro
 
deckman22's Avatar
 
Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, Tx.
Posts: 4,212
Rewards Points: 2,556

Re: Fishing Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post
Yeah, that's always my excuse.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
It was the best excuse I could think of at the moment.
__________________
Deckman
deckman22 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to deckman22 For This Useful Post:
TxElectrician (02-07-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #54
Pro
 
deckman22's Avatar
 
Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, Tx.
Posts: 4,212
Rewards Points: 2,556

Re: Fishing Reports


Catching any whites off your dock yet TxElectrician? I saw a three man limit of them out of an east texas lake posted on a fishing site I frequent. I figure the run there should start pretty much the same time as Lake Medina.
__________________
Deckman
deckman22 is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #55
Pro
 
TxElectrician's Avatar
 
Trade: Electrical
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 7,119
Rewards Points: 3,262

Re: Fishing Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by deckman22 View Post
Catching any whites off your dock yet TxElectrician? I saw a three man limit of them out of an east texas lake posted on a fishing site I frequent. I figure the run there should start pretty much the same time as Lake Medina.
My dock is still not repaired from the flood. Starting to get a little pissed at my dock guy. Talked to him last week and said I needed it by first of March. We'll see.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
TxElectrician is online now  
Old 02-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #56
Pro
 
deckman22's Avatar
 
Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, Tx.
Posts: 4,212
Rewards Points: 2,556

Re: Fishing Reports


I bet that man is gonna get a donkey bbq if that dock isn't done soon. Only 18 days to go.
__________________
Deckman
deckman22 is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:25 PM   #57
Pro
 
TxElectrician's Avatar
 
Trade: Electrical
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 7,119
Rewards Points: 3,262

Re: Fishing Reports


He's been working my dock for 18 years. We're pretty good friends and work quite a few projects together.

He was johnny on the spot as far as securing the dock so it wouldn't go downstream and got me out of a bind right after the storm. Told him I was in no rush to get it completed.

I know he has been busy repairing a lot of small community water plants but now that fishing season is here I consider my dock a priority!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
TxElectrician is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #58
Pro
 
deckman22's Avatar
 
Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, Tx.
Posts: 4,212
Rewards Points: 2,556

Re: Fishing Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post
He's been working my dock for 18 years. We're pretty good friends and work quite a few projects together.

He was johnny on the spot as far as securing the dock so it wouldn't go downstream and got me out of a bind right after the storm. Told him I was in no rush to get it completed.

I know he has been busy repairing a lot of small community water plants but now that fishing season is here I consider my dock a priority!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Nice to have someone looking out for your dock at those times.

SNL lost a nice one in the big flood here 2 years ago. Several thousand dollars just washed away never to be seen again. He did not have it secured well enough, costly lesson.
__________________
Deckman

Last edited by deckman22; 02-10-2019 at 09:26 PM.
deckman22 is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #59
Pro
 
mrcat's Avatar
 
Trade: Pole Barns, Residential Framing
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Fingerlakes NY
Posts: 750
Rewards Points: 636

Re: Fishing Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post
Told him I was in no rush to get it completed.


Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
That right there is your problem, whenever someone tells me that I straight up tell them that's a bad idea lol.


I usually try and get a date when they are hoping to get something completed, and work back from there, otherwise it'll just keep getting pushed back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
mrcat is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to mrcat For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (02-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #60
Pro
 
deckman22's Avatar
 
Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, Tx.
Posts: 4,212
Rewards Points: 2,556

Re: Fishing Reports


My fishing partners got into the big uglies at POC jetties. I struck out cause I chose not to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Reports-img_10721.jpg   Fishing Reports-img_10691.jpg  

Advertisement

__________________
Deckman
deckman22 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deckman22 For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (03-11-2019), Deckhead (03-10-2019), TxElectrician (03-11-2019)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fishing the ice donerightwyo Off Topic (Non Trade) 28 12-28-2012 12:11 AM
braided fishing line in the toolbox. Rich D. Tools & Equipment 18 08-07-2012 06:43 AM
A good day of fishing Jimmy Cabinet Off Topic (Non Trade) 11 09-18-2010 09:11 PM
How does Consumer Reports Grade Paint? Dmax Consulting Painting & Finish Work 5 09-17-2009 02:25 AM
Lets go fishing, sales and marketing. silvertree Marketing & Sales 3 07-16-2009 02:10 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?