Fishing Reports - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Fishing Reports

Old 03-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,180

Fishing Reports

Thought we should have a thread to let others know where they are biting. So here goes.

Finally decided to give it a try up the Medina river to see if the white bass are running yet. Launched the boat over at SNL's neighborhood, it's on the river end of the lake so not far to the gravel shores the whites like to spawn in.

We travel up far as we could safely go and anchored in 2' of water with gravel shorelines on both sides. We were both throwing 1/4oz. roostertails and after about a half an hour with no bites SNL wonders if we should have gone up Elm Creek cove. White bass fishing really isn't his thing so I tell him no this where they'll be, more current and better gravel shorelines. Barely got the words out and he's hooked up. It's pulling hard so figured it to be a female, that's what you want cause they are bigger than the males. If you are only catching males the run hasn't started yet. He lands a big female.

The bite stayed on for about 1 1/2 hours as we landed several whites and black bass each. We both broke off about half way thru the bite, I stuck with white and he tied on a chartreuse and caught more whites & I caught more blacks. I would have figured that to be the opposite. Nothing yuge but plenty for a fish fry at both our houses tonight.

Water was off color with only about 1' of visibility and 61 degrees. Still a little cold. The run is not full bore on by any means but it's starting. I'll be back as the whites should be there for the next two to three weeks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deckman22 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (03-10-2018), TxElectrician (03-10-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 458

Re: Fishing Reports

post of pic of your white bass, what we call white bass up here are considered junk fish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_bass

i never keep them, and we have a lot of them in the lake we live on. was always told that if you slice the blood line while filleting, you ruin the meat?

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: home remodel/repair
Rewards Points: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
i never keep them, and we have a lot of them in the lake we live on. was always told that if you slice the blood line while filleting, you ruin the meat?
Try it sometime. Same fish here. The spring run(mid-late april here) they are good eating. Just keep the top of the filet and when removing skin, run your knife high off the skin so you don't get any of the dark meat. End up with only white filet.
When the run is on, just a matter of how many fish you want to clean!
The Following User Says Thank You to goneelkn For This Useful Post:
TxElectrician (03-10-2018)

Old 03-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
post of pic of your white bass, what we call white bass up here are considered junk fish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_bass

I carved them up already. I'm sure they are the same fish. My grand dad that got me into fishing said the same about them. We fished for yellow perch on lake erie, the walleye were nearly wiped out at the time, so anything else was trash fish. At about 8 or 9 yo I caught a big sheepshead, he told me to throw it back. I must have had flames coming out the eyeballs or something, I told him no way I'm throwing my big fish back. He made me clean it and eat, which I did, after that I threw 'em back if he said so.

Once I landed in Texas I got into fishing for them. Not as good of table fare as largemouth imo, but talk about pissing some folks off, don't go talking about that. Same with the big trout over in the Guadaupe, those TU boys get all upset when you haul one out for the table.

Like mentioned just cut the red meat out and they are good to go in the grease. Not all fish are created equal, but white bass will hit the grease at my house.
The Following User Says Thank You to deckman22 For This Useful Post:
TxElectrician (03-10-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #5
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 10,270

Sheepshead like our saltwater bandits or something else? Sheepshead are great eats as far as I'm concerned.

Haven't been out in months so taking my little guy in a couple weeks on the flats when this cold snap dies off. We'll get into some Spanish Mack's, maybe a kingie or two and the last ditch effort for shallow water gags. I always look forward to spring fishing as the gulf loop runs are pretty amazing.

All our pelagics run close from mid March through May. Late May through June is Tarpon time. July is whatever couple days they give us for red snapper and August/Sept it's time for scalloping. Then I go back to flats fishing on occasion when it's convenient.

We have the largest lake in our county just behind our house but it's hard to get into freshwater fishing around here. I want to learn how to crappie fish though and take my son out. I caught a monster one in the lake once on a 1/4 oz rooster tail just dicking around in a canoe and didn't even keep it... Must have been over a pound

Didn't realize at the time that's our best freshwater fish and a biggun around here.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #6
Pro

Freshwater sheepshead are the same in name only, they truly are a trash fish. I'll fish in whatever water is around me, like it all.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 2,608

Wife and I caught a few crappie last week in 5' and less water. All males.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (03-10-2018), deckman22 (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post
Wife and I caught a few crappie last week in 5' and less water. All males.
What lake? No coordinates needed, I know those crappie holes are well guarded secrets, ha.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckman22 View Post
What lake? No coordinates needed, I know those crappie holes are well guarded secrets, ha.
Off my dock on Travis
The Following User Says Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (03-10-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 06:47 PM   #10
Pro

Catfish are biting in Lake Medina or so says my grandson.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Reports-img_00221.jpg  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deckman22 For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (03-25-2018), dayexco (03-25-2018), goneelkn (03-26-2018), tgeb (03-26-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 11:14 PM   #11
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 50

Any reports for Table Rock in southern Missouri? My son and I are going to be turkey hunting close buy and hope to take a few crappie home also.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 598

Heading to Rend Lake, southern IL for crappie this weekend. Hope the weather is decent.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,266

The crappie are really biting at lake Palestine in Texas. My dad takes all the old Christmas trees on the curbs and dumps them in the lake every year.. he has his spots flooded with fish.. he even built a 2 hook bait rig and I swear on everything the second the bait goes in the water we are pulling 2 fish out at a time.

My dad is so funny, I was using his rig and I said "Look dad!!" And held up my pole with 2 fish dangling from it and he starts yelling "PUT IT DOWN PUT IT DOWN!" he tripped over everything in the boat, dove over my kid and grabbed the fish... I was like dang dad... What is the problem? And as he is laying in the bottom of the boat with 2 fish slapping him in the head he looks up at me and says, "I don't want anyone to see my rig! Don't you see them trying to get close to us? They are trying to see my rig!".

And I look out on to the lake and see all the boats circling us like sharks.. ha. I laughed so hard..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (03-27-2018), deckman22 (03-27-2018), mrcat (03-29-2018), tgeb (03-30-2018), TxElectrician (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrina View Post
The crappie are really biting at lake Palestine in Texas. My dad takes all the old Christmas trees on the curbs and dumps them in the lake every year.. he has his spots flooded with fish.. he even built a 2 hook bait rig and I swear on everything the second the bait goes in the water we are pulling 2 fish out at a time.

My dad is so funny, I was using his rig and I said "Look dad!!" And held up my pole with 2 fish dangling from it and he starts yelling "PUT IT DOWN PUT IT DOWN!" he tripped over everything in the boat, dove over my kid and grabbed the fish... I was like dang dad... What is the problem? And as he is laying in the bottom of the boat with 2 fish slapping him in the head he looks up at me and says, "I don't want anyone to see my rig! Don't you see them trying to get close to us? They are trying to see my rig!".

And I look out on to the lake and see all the boats circling us like sharks.. ha. I laughed so hard..
Curious, how deep? All the crappie around here now are in 5' or less water.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrina View Post

Gotta watch out for those potlickers.

It got so bad at Port A I quit fishing there altogether. Folks see a bent rod they zoom up on you and drop anchor then cast right up against your boat, freakin ridiculous. That kind of crap causes what's called "bay rage", ha.
The Following User Says Thank You to deckman22 For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (03-27-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #16
30 year novice

Trade: Painting contractor
Rewards Points: 2,631

Still ice on the lakes here, just moved here last September but a major reason why we moved here is the lakes. The area is called Land o Lakes and for good reason, there's literally thousands within a 100 mile radius.

Most common species are walleye, pike, small and large mouth bass, lake trout, muskie, pumpkin seed, rock bass and of course crapie. Can't wait.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #17
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 2,766

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzie View Post
Still ice on the lakes here, just moved here last September but a major reason why we moved here is the lakes. The area is called Land o Lakes and for good reason, there's literally thousands within a 100 mile radius.

Most common species are walleye, pike, small and large mouth bass, lake trout, muskie, pumpkin seed, rock bass and of course crapie. Can't wait.
How often do you see crappie? I've fished in that area my whole life and I see a lot of blue gill and pumpkin seed, but what most call crappie look like a cross between a blue gill and a perch. Wonder if I'm using the correct nomenclature.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:21 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 458

walleye is great, but my catch of choice is yellow perch. get half a five gallon pail full of 3/4 pounders, that's mighty fine eating.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (03-29-2018), deckman22 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 04:37 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
How often do you see crappie? I've fished in that area my whole life and I see a lot of blue gill and pumpkin seed, but what most call crappie look like a cross between a blue gill and a perch. Wonder if I'm using the correct nomenclature.
Sac a lait
Old 03-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,950

Every place is different, because of the weather and lake geology. - And especially your interests.

In MN (MSP), generally, the prime fish is Walleye or Sauger(a cousin) for eating. Bluegills, sunfish/pumpkinseeds are very common for summer casual fishing in the lakes in the southern part of the state.

I had a lake home near Brainerd, MN about 140 miles from home in on a large lake (1-1/2 mile x 4 miles long) with a lot of depth that was in a chain of lakes. It was just into the northern part of the state. There, I generally fished (from Friday afternoon until Sunday evening for the sport and very rarely kept any fish unless I got a couple small Walleyes (1 to 1-1/2#). Anything over that was tossed back. - I was not a "meat" fisherman. I threw back numerous Walleyes over that (up to 8# or 12#).

There, an exception was a short period (week or so) after the middle of September where you could not keep the "eating size" Walleyes off the hook. - Then, I would "harvest" them (jig/cast) for several days. would keep a limit of "eaters", go back to shore, fillet, wrap and freeze. Then, sometimes, right back out for another batch or so to last until the next season. - Technically, it a violation, but the game warden saw me do it and later told me we was watching and wondered why and then finally realized why. I would see him every week during the season as he was watching, but we never met for several years.

My favorite fishing was for Northern Pike using a 1 to 1-1/2# sucker fished with well out on the lake with a big sinker and bobber in 15-20 feet of water. Not exciting most of the time, so I always had a book and a CD player. I would keep several Northern Pike a year and did not fillet them(too many bones), but I would steak them for 1" thick steaks. - It was a pleasure to throw back a 15-20# northern. My best sunfish was 1lb - 12oz (thrown back). I like my sunfish fried like thick tender potato chips. Our pumpkin seeds were very thick and shorter than other sunfish or bluegills. The crappies were much longer due to the longer "tails", but they could be from finger tip to elbow joint for a good one.

I have only caught a couple of trophy fish that are preserved on the wall. The best was a 42# lake trout on 2# line with a 7'-6" lightweight spinning rod.

Now, my fishing is limited to the Mississippi River in area between St. Paul and Minneapolis where the river cuts through the the limestone leaving an area with 50' sheer cliffs to climb up and down. - Fast water and lots of gravel bottoms or holes where the big walleyes are. You cannot even see a building when fishing. The "gem" there is a 4# Small Mouth bass that comes up and out of the depths and hits a spinner or jig with only 6 or 7 feet of line out. The walleyes are too big for eating. I moved to 15 miles away but still fish there.

As soon as the snow melts (3" on the ground now) and the ice goes out, I will be getting the "itch" and fish a couple of miles away. I did see a couple of people out on the ice a few days ago with skis and poles and dragging a sleds or canoes for gear and insurance.

Dick

Advertisement

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.