Eff Starbucks - Page 2 - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Eff Starbucks

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2018, 10:35 PM   #21
Fire up the BBQ
 
griz's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 21,736
Rewards Points: 2,298

Re: Eff Starbucks


I used to frequent starbucks and a couple of other foo foo coffee places mainly for mochas.....my poison...especially one place that added an orange flavor....

well since we have had our keurig machine & my wife has figured out how to make my mochas, especially the orange flavored one i haven't bought a foo foo coffee in about 3 years.....

but i start my day with a hot strong black coffee....
__________________
SOME JOBS JUST AREN'T WORTH DOING:
griz is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (04-26-2018), Deckhead (05-17-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 04-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #22
Pro
 
Mordekyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,245
Rewards Points: 4,718

Re: Eff Starbucks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamthebuilder View Post
I pretty much avoid Starbucks because I don’t like their coffee and it is way overpriced. (If Starbucks were masons, they would charge $5 per brick). I do admire that they can get that much and scratch my head at all the people who wait in long lines for their overpriced coffee.


Why do contractors in general get their panties in a bunch when a HO is cheap, citing the cost of labor, overhead, and profit, but then complain about the price of coffee at a place that offers insurance and education to their employees?

Anybody here offer college classes to their employees?

Like Adam says, good on them for charging what they do.


FWIW, I prefer Dutch Bros. coffee.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mordekyle is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
Easy Gibson (05-04-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 10:44 PM   #23
Fire up the BBQ
 
griz's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 21,736
Rewards Points: 2,298

Re: Eff Starbucks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
Why do contractors in general get their panties in a bunch when a HO is cheap, citing the cost of labor, overhead, and profit, but then complain about the price of coffee at a place that offers insurance and education to their employees?

Anybody here offer college classes to their employees?

Like Adam says, good on them for charging what they do.


FWIW, I prefer Dutch Bros. coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMO, Dutch Bros. coffee is very bitter to me.....
__________________
SOME JOBS JUST AREN'T WORTH DOING:
griz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-26-2018, 10:48 PM   #24
Pro
 
Mordekyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,245
Rewards Points: 4,718

Re: Eff Starbucks


I drink it girly style.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mordekyle is offline  
Old 04-26-2018, 10:51 PM   #25
Fire up the BBQ
 
griz's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 21,736
Rewards Points: 2,298

Re: Eff Starbucks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
I drink it girly style.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thats how i get it if my wife makes it for me.....

i do not complain....

im up very early & i get the first & if i want the second cup hot & black.
__________________
SOME JOBS JUST AREN'T WORTH DOING:
griz is online now  
Old 04-26-2018, 11:05 PM   #26
GC/carpenter
 
Calidecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 36,513
Rewards Points: 18,278

Re: Eff Starbucks


I can't stand anything in my coffee.


Mike.
_______________
Calidecks is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (05-17-2018), Randy Bush (05-04-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #27
Pro
 
Mordekyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,245
Rewards Points: 4,718

Re: Eff Starbucks


I'm predictable.

If McDonalds, large coffee, 3 cream, 3 sugar.

If DB or any other coffee stand, 20 oz. white mocha.

If Sherwin Williams, whatever they have.

If home, French press with sweetener, drink till it's gone.


Although with the weather turning, I've been getting a large unsweetened tea from the Golden Arches at least once a day.

I get Starbucks maybe a couple times a year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mordekyle is offline  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:43 AM   #28
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 6,796
Rewards Points: 6,674

Re: Eff Starbucks


There are tons and tons of Starbucks by me. Have only tried their coffee once in my life. Prefer Dunkin' Donuts


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is online now  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #29
Pro
 
Big Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: Contractor Grunt
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,040
Rewards Points: 4,054

Re: Eff Starbucks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
Why do contractors in general get their panties in a bunch when a HO is cheap, citing the cost of labor, overhead, and profit, but then complain about the price of coffee at a place that offers insurance and education to their employees?

Anybody here offer college classes to their employees?

Like Adam says, good on them for charging what they do.


FWIW, I prefer Dutch Bros. coffee.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’re offering a skilled trade with a lot of liability and risk of injury. Starbucks is selling a cup of flavored water I can make at home for $0.05. #applesoranges
Big Johnson is offline  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:18 AM   #30
Pro
 
Adamthebuilder's Avatar
 
Trade: Builder
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 100
Rewards Points: 228

Re: Eff Starbucks


We probably don’t provide college tuition assistance but we will teach someone a trade, and if they work hard, they ultimately could become self employed. Just like many of us have done.
Adamthebuilder is offline  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #31
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 25,680
Rewards Points: 4,082

Re: Eff Starbucks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettusbee View Post
Are the bathrooms at starbucks locked? They asked to use the bathroom? Out here, I can walk into a Starbucks and use the loo and walk out with hardly anyone even noticing.

Waiting in a coffee shop for a meeting is pretty common. Black people are common too. Esp in Philly. Not sure how this escalated to the point it did.
Sure, but if I'm going to wait in a coffee shop, I'm gonna buy a cup of coffee. Its not the public library or a park bench, it's a business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
I used to frequent starbucks and a couple of other foo foo coffee places mainly for mochas.....my poison...especially one place that added an orange flavor....

well since we have had our keurig machine & my wife has figured out how to make my mochas, especially the orange flavored one i haven't bought a foo foo coffee in about 3 years.....

but i start my day with a hot strong black coffee....
Your man card please, hand it over.
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 05-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #32
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,030
Rewards Points: 33,926

Re: Eff Starbucks


Hmmm.... gotta' respect that...


Black men arrested at Philly Starbucks are settling with city for $2... https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bl...D=ansmsnnews11

"They will each be paid $1.

In addition, Donte Robinson and Rashon Nelson, both 23, will release the city and employees of all claims in exchange for the creation of a $200,000 fund that, through the help of a nonprofit organization, will assist young entrepreneurs in Philadelphia.

Robinson and Nelson will also serve on a committee to establish and award the grant, which will focus on creating a pilot curriculum for public high school students to attain the skills to become business owners.

The mayor's office said neither Nelson, Robinson nor their attorneys will receive any payment from the grant funds. The money will come from the budget of the city's Finance Department.

He added that Robinson and Nelson approached the city with the idea "in an attempt to make something positive come of this."
KAP is online now  
Old 05-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #33
Pro
 
Big Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: Contractor Grunt
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,040
Rewards Points: 4,054

Re: Eff Starbucks


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
Hmmm.... gotta' respect that...


Black men arrested at Philly Starbucks are settling with city for $2... https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bl...D=ansmsnnews11

"They will each be paid $1.

In addition, Donte Robinson and Rashon Nelson, both 23, will release the city and employees of all claims in exchange for the creation of a $200,000 fund that, through the help of a nonprofit organization, will assist young entrepreneurs in Philadelphia.

Robinson and Nelson will also serve on a committee to establish and award the grant, which will focus on creating a pilot curriculum for public high school students to attain the skills to become business owners.

The mayor's office said neither Nelson, Robinson nor their attorneys will receive any payment from the grant funds. The money will come from the budget of the city's Finance Department.

He added that Robinson and Nelson approached the city with the idea "in an attempt to make something positive come of this."
They also settled with Starbucks but for a lot more $$$$. No respect from me. They’re scoundrels



“On Wednesday, Starbucks announced it reached a financial settlement with the men. The amount was not disclosed.”


Guarantee it was way more than $2.

Last edited by Big Johnson; 05-02-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Big Johnson is offline  
Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #34
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,030
Rewards Points: 33,926

Re: Eff Starbucks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
They also settled with Starbucks but for a lot more $$$$. No respect from me. They’re scoundrels



“On Wednesday, Starbucks announced it reached a financial settlement with the men. The amount was not disclosed.”


Guarantee it was way more than $2.
I wasn't referring to Starbucks, but how they dealt with the cops/city... I don't know what the settlement was with Starbucks (didn't even know there was one), but how they dealt with the city and turned a negative into a positive was noteworthy, their settlement with Starbucks you reference notwithstanding...

"I am pleased to have resolved the potential claims against the City in this productive manner. This was an incident that evoked a lot of pain in our City, pain that would've resurfaced over and over again in protracted litigation, which presents significant legal risks and high financial and emotional costs for everyone involved," Mayor Jim Kenney said in a statement."
KAP is online now  
Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #35
Pro
 
Big Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: Contractor Grunt
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,040
Rewards Points: 4,054

Re: Eff Starbucks


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
I wasn't referring to Starbucks, but how they dealt with the cops/city... I don't know what the settlement was with Starbucks (didn't even know there was one), but how they dealt with the city and turned a negative into a positive was noteworthy, their settlement with Starbucks you reference notwithstanding...

"I am pleased to have resolved the potential claims against the City in this productive manner. This was an incident that evoked a lot of pain in our City, pain that would've resurfaced over and over again in protracted litigation, which presents significant legal risks and high financial and emotional costs for everyone involved," Mayor Jim Kenney said in a statement."

There shouldn’t have been any settlement with the city, the police asked them to leave and they refused. They were then arrested for trespassing. Now taxpayers are on the hook for $200K in leftist propaganda training.
Big Johnson is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
dayexco (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #36
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,030
Rewards Points: 33,926

Re: Eff Starbucks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
There shouldn’t have been any settlement with the city, the police asked them to leave and they refused. They were then arrested for trespassing. Now taxpayers are on the hook for $200K in leftist propaganda training.
And I agree with that to an extent, but that's our perspective from the limited amount of info we have... however, there's two sides to the coin and two sides to every story and I'm sure the legal eagles weighed it all before agreeing to their suggestion...

Consider, these guys didn't ask for any money from the city (other than the $1)... noteworthy... are not going to be paid for their time from that 200K fund for their participation in choosing recipients of the entrepreneurial grant... noteworthy... it was their idea they brought to the city to make something positive out of a negative instead of bringing a lawsuit... noteworthy... their lawyers aren't getting a dime of the $200K... noteworthy...

I don't think it's far off base to think it would have cost the city more than the $200K just to defend the lawsuit, should they had instead brought a lawsuit, never mind if they won which would have cost the taxpayers a heck of a lot more money...
KAP is online now  
Old 05-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #37
...
 
FrankSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,907
Rewards Points: 5,124

Re: Eff Starbucks


I have more of a problem with people trying to force the hand of business than with most of these incidents. Everyone wants to turn it into some kind of example because its a huge business. Starbucks is a successful company because they have found some combo of coffee, service and atmosphere that enough people like. They are good enough at this that when an employee does something that makes the national news, everyone freaks out and wants to make an example of them.

I say everyone should worry about their business. If you like Starbucks coffee, service and atmosphere enough to go there great. If not fine. Don't force their hand at social issues. Expecting people who hang out at the store to make a purchase sounds reasonable to me. Making an effort to make sure employees aren't being racially insensitive after such an event also seems reasonable. I see people attraction to these types of stories is a a poor reflection on them. Starbucks did not mean to inject itself in the news, so unless we are talking coffee I say let it go.
FrankSmith is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrankSmith For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (05-17-2018), KAP (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #38
Radical Basement Dweller
 
Robie's Avatar
 
Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,050
Rewards Points: 4,130

Re: Eff Starbucks


Quote:
Don't force their hand at social issues.
They seem to do a fine job of that on their own.
__________________
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers.
Robie is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
KAP (05-02-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #39
Punching above his weight
 
Easy Gibson's Avatar
 
Trade: Gun for hire.
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Best seat at the table
Posts: 7,376
Rewards Points: 12,348

Re: Eff Starbucks


Posting from a Starbucks.

I bought a latte in exchange for use of their toilet. It's 11:33. I have a 1pm appointment a couple blocks away. Getting comfy.
Easy Gibson is offline  
Old 05-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #40
Pro
 
Big Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: Contractor Grunt
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,040
Rewards Points: 4,054

Re: Eff Starbucks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
Posting from a Starbucks.

I bought a latte in exchange for use of their toilet. It's 11:33. I have a 1pm appointment a couple blocks away. Getting comfy.
Stay put, if they kick you out you can get free college tuition and be labeled a hero. But you already screwed up and bought something so don’t hold your breath.

Advertisement

Big Johnson is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
dayexco (05-04-2018), griz (05-04-2018)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tried the new Starbucks Unicorn Frappucino? cwatbay Off Topic (Non Trade) 58 05-02-2017 07:41 AM
Starbucks 'Trump' Cup Is Causing A Lot Of Controversy tonyc56 Off Topic (Non Trade) 13 11-21-2016 09:26 AM
Starbucks to raise wages for US workers in October...But Guess What's Happening tonyc56 Off Topic (Non Trade) 7 07-14-2016 07:08 PM
Which is better ROI? Social media marketing or your website HomerJ Marketing & Sales 91 06-26-2013 08:53 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?