Drivers Ed... - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Drivers Ed...

Old 12-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 16,973

Drivers Ed...

Has Anybody taught a new driver laterly? This is more stressful than any previous time by my recollection.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,996

Re: Drivers Ed...

I taught some~15 years ago.. I don't scare easy, so it was no big deal. I'm pretty sure the girl's Mom would have been screaming if she were in the car...

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
I taught some~15 years ago.. I don't scare easy, so it was no big deal. I'm pretty sure the girl's Mom would have been screaming if she were in the car...
Same. But my foot was pressed against the floorboard.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 670

That’s why I had them driving tractors since they could reach the pedals. Transitioned to cars/trucks with no issues.

Tom
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
dayexco (12-30-2018), deckman22 (01-09-2019), hdavis (12-30-2018), Joasis (12-31-2018), MarkJames (12-30-2018), pinwheel (12-31-2018), spazman (12-31-2018), tgeb (12-30-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 340

My daughter was probably 10 when we pulled into the lane of the horse farm she rode at, I stopped the truck and we switched seats. The lane is 1 mile long.

The big grin she had on her face that whole mile was priceless. She had rode on my lap a few times before, doing the steering, and my lessons started then, on where to look, what to watch for etc.

She essentially learned to drive my crewcab f350, she can handle that and anything smaller with no problem.

We had to send her to a driving school, the one that has off duty police teaching the lessons. They were impressed with her abilities and her situational awareness.

She and her Mom do seem to wait too long to hit the brake for my comfort....

www.gebcon.com
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (01-09-2019), deckman22 (01-09-2019), griz (12-30-2018), hdavis (12-30-2018), Joasis (12-31-2018), KAP (12-30-2018), spazman (12-31-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 09:41 PM   #6
Pro

Agree with all the early experience.

I'm without that luxury this time. Now we have to get up to speed..fast!
Old 12-30-2018, 09:51 PM   #7
Contractor

When she had her learner's permit we let her drive us down to my Mom's in Delaware. Route 404 is two lanes for most of the way.

She kept following too close to the cars ahead and I kept correcting her, and urged that she put 1/4 to 1/2 mile between us and the car in front so that with the ebe and flow she doesn't have to get on the brakes so much.

When she finally followed my advice, I said see isn't this a lot less stressful?

She said yeah, I don't have you yelling at me all the time because I'm following too close.

www.gebcon.com
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (01-09-2019), griz (12-30-2018), hdavis (12-30-2018), Joasis (12-31-2018), Justin Rhoades (12-31-2018), MarkJames (12-30-2018), pinwheel (12-31-2018), rblakes1 (12-30-2018), TxElectrician (01-01-2019), WBailey1041 (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #8
Pro

I established a rule that she has to remain calm no matter what I or anyone else says (or yells). Driver must maintain composure, no matter what's thrown at them. Nothing personal.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:09 PM   #9
Contractor

Well to be clear, I wasn't actually yelling at her, and her following distance was not considered unsafe, just unnecessary to be 2-3 seconds behind the pack of cars that when they brake, you have to brake.

At a greater distance you just maintain your speed, as when they slow, by the time you get caught up, the group has picked up speed again, and you don't have to brake.

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (01-09-2019)
Old 12-30-2018, 10:17 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,996

Imagine the major north- south and east-west highways around Austin. Now imagine not paying attention to lanes, other cars, lane changes,...

Make her nervous, and she would have done worse. I gave her a few casual pointers.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:30 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,580

I must admit i thoroughly enjoyed teaching my three kids to drive. My oldest was 10 years ago and my youngest was about 4 years ago.

The following too close is a pet peeve of mine and i too got on my kids about it.

All three learned in a stick shift F150. Sure there were a few tears from my daughters when they were endlessly stalling it on hills, but once they had their confidence it was generally enjoyable. it had its moments. I had them towing trailers, sliding in snow covered parking lots so they learned how it handled, city rush hour traffic and rural roads, how to use mirrors, and on and on. The joke of a test was no test at all.

Last edited by Ohio painter; 12-30-2018 at 10:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
hdavis (12-31-2018), tgeb (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 10:30 PM   #12
Contractor

I'd say that nearly all of the daily accidents around here are caused by following too close and distracted driving.

The 2 second rule for following does not work when you have multi cars involved. I saw a video a few years ago where professional car drivers tested the 2 second rule.

The first car jammed on the brakes, the second car stopped in time, the third and fourth cars rear ended the ones in front of them....every time.

These a$$hole drivers around here think a 1/2 a car length is good at 65mph.

www.gebcon.com

Last edited by tgeb; 12-30-2018 at 10:41 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (01-09-2019), MarkJames (12-31-2018), Ohio painter (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 11:08 PM   #13
Pro

Rewards Points: 670

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
Agree with all the early experience.

I'm without that luxury this time. Now we have to get up to speed..fast!
Speed is good...

I drove myself to drivers ed when I was 15.

Within a week of or youngest getting her permit she drove us home from Chester Springs Pa. to Cedar Lake In. Didn’t ask for directions once, drove straight through, no stops necessary.

Tom

Last edited by tjbnwi; 12-30-2018 at 11:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
hdavis (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 03:18 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,543

Quote:
I established a rule that she has to remain calm no matter what I or anyone else says (or yells). Driver must maintain composure, no matter what's thrown at them. Nothing personal.
Story time.

My drivers ed teacher did the same. He would constantly remind me that I was the captain of the ship and HIS life was in MY hands. He was a hardass due to Vietnam. But, put him in a car with a 15 year old kid and he would read the paper until he fell asleep. He was fearless while I was driving. If I woke him up he ratcheted up the instruction. I learned very quickly that smooth driving let him sleep and I avoided an ass chewing.

The following year I had him for algebra 2 and he treated me like gold. Classmates ribbed me relentlessly because he liked to tell others how smooth I drove. I never told a soul that he snored through most of our time together.

12 years later I taught my baby sister how to drive in the snow. I wanted to scream a few times. I like to think my silence and composure allowed her to learn without the pressure of disappointing me. Truth is, I knew if I opened my mouth the harsh words would make her upset. An upset young woman behind the wheel is as predictable as a slot machine. She is now 28 and has had a few texting while driving fender benders. Her husband forgot his seatbelt once after we left a bar. She explained to him her duty as the captain of the ship. I was near tears but damn proud she didnít move the car until he clicked the seatbelt.

Tip of the day: when she is driving too close on the freeway ask her how long the dotted white lines that separate the lanes are. When she says something under 10 feet, and she will, find a safe spot to stop and let her see that they are actually 10 feet long. Did this with an employee once and it was like flipping a switch. He stopped tailgating and I didnít have to provide any further instruction lol.

Each dashed line measures 10 feet, and the empty spaces in-between measure 30 feet. So every time a car passes a new dashed line, the car has traveled 40 feet, but in this study, people consistently judged the lines and the empty spaces to be the same size, claiming that both were 2 feet, Shaffer explained.

Read more: https://www.upi.com/Many-underestima...#ixzz5bFOj2MLx
Old 12-31-2018, 06:11 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,508

Quote:
Has Anybody taught a new driver laterly? This is more stressful than any previous time by my recollection.

This is for you! 50 seconds in.

I taught all my kids, and my baby girl was the easiest...we had a Chevy Luv with a 5 speed....trash hauler on the property. When she was 10, I would let her drive it...put it in 4L, and away she went. She already understood the concept from watching...so she kept it up, using trees for bumpers....and got to where she would go around the 20 acres like a champ....by the time she was 14, I was letting her drive on the back roads...and she was operating our telehandlers on the job sites.

Ordered her a Jeep when she was 15....ordered it with a 23S package...6 speed manual. She was the only kid in her class...hell, probably the high school, that could drive a manual. She wanted an automatic....and I said when you pay, you pick. Driving the manual I think made her coordination a lot better, and kept her hands busy....off the phone. Since then, she is 19...I have taught her the 9 speed in my semi..she thinks that is a blast!

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
hdavis (12-31-2018), tgeb (12-31-2018), TxElectrician (01-01-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 06:13 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,508

Quote:

Never complain...you could do what I did and try to teach flying....now that will make your hair gray.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following User Says Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (12-31-2018)
Old 01-01-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
Pro

Rewards Points: 775

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeb View Post
I'd say that nearly all of the daily accidents around here are caused by following too close and distracted driving.

The 2 second rule for following does not work when you have multi cars involved. I saw a video a few years ago where professional car drivers tested the 2 second rule.

The first car jammed on the brakes, the second car stopped in time, the third and fourth cars rear ended the ones in front of them....every time.

These a$$hole drivers around here think a 1/2 a car length is good at 65mph.
I tried leaving a safe space in front of me the other day and people from the other lane kept jumping into the space.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #18
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichVT View Post
I tried leaving a safe space in front of me the other day and people from the other lane kept jumping into the space.
That happens to me all the time...I just let'em in.
It's when traffic is coming to a halt suddenly and the buggers all jump into my lane messing up my stopping distance that I get all flustered.

www.gebcon.com
Old 01-09-2019, 06:04 AM   #19

Trade: Remodeling and Roofing
Rewards Points: 80

Yes I have a 19 year old and a 16 year old thank goodness I had family to help me!
Old 01-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 722

I believe it's always been stressful. It was for me when I taught my kids as they didn't have the experience of driving tractors, gocarts, minibikes, scooters and cars around grand dad's field way before time to get a license.

It was for my drivers ed teach too. First day he put this girl named Paula in the driver's seat first. She lived along the street the high school was on and the teacher had her drive past her house. She also had a dog that like to chase cars. Trying to avoid her dog she hit the dog, then the wailing started but, dog wasn't hurt too bad. Here's the good part, the next week the same thing happened. After that the guy got smart and put someone else in the driver's seat first and we left the school going the other way.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to deckman22 For This Useful Post:
tgeb (01-09-2019)