Do You Ever Take Your Dog With You On Sales Calls / Site Visits - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Do You Ever Take Your Dog With You On Sales Calls / Site Visits

Old 05-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Pole Barn Builder
Rewards Points: 1,419

Do You Ever Take Your Dog With You On Sales Calls / Site Visits

I serve an area up to about 2.5 hours from my house. Some of the initial sales, estimating, site visits can be a long boring ride so I take my dog to keep me company.

Without fail it helps make the sale if the customer sees her. It shows a softer side of humanity to show up with man's best friend. Dog stories are a great ice breaker also that builds the relationship with the prospects and often their kids and wife.
The Following User Says Thank You to PoleBarnsNY For This Useful Post:
LeeFowler (05-15-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 1,316

Re: Do You Ever Take Your Dog With You On Sales Calls / Site Visits

ill drag one or both of my dogs along is i have a few appt's at night and worked all day, gets them out of the house, and its comical to see one dog in each seat of my work truck

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to CarrPainting For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,248

What about for the weirdos that have a fear of dogs?

My dog doesn't provide me much company on long drives. He hardly ever talks and when he does it usually about stuff I don't care about.
aaron_a (05-15-2014), jb4211 (05-15-2014), TRMolnar (05-15-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
Lazy Millennial

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 748

The owner of the steel erection company that is currently working on one of our sites comes by occasionally and brings his german shepherd. It has this yellow safety vest it wears. The first time I saw it I took it for a drug sniffing dog.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,838

No, no dogs. If it takes a crap in their yard, do you pick it up?
Old 05-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 1,270

Dog comes on every estimate and if the situation is right comes along on every installation though he mostly sits in truck As far as crapping on customers yard keep few rolls of bags used to pick it up takes about 10 seconds
Old 05-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #7
I like Green things

You're not bringing a dog to my house.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 6,848

I never take them for estimates. Being as some jobs I'm there for a couple months i usually ask the owners if they mind if i bring my dog to work. Almost always a "that's fine if they're nice."
Old 05-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
Champion Thread Derailer

Trade: Home Renovations
Rewards Points: 380

I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking a dog with you, but only if the customer/potential client is okay with it. If, for example, you show up at Warner's house, he might easily bust a blood vessel soon followed by bustin' a cap in yo butt, or the dog's!

Most people seem to be okay with it, which may be these folks are animal lovers.

I'm quite an animal lover (in fact, more so than some human beings), but I don't recall ever taking one of my fuzzy little buddies to a jobsite.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 886

I take the dogs with me all the time, just not as much in the summer months. If someone doesn't like dogs they probably aren't someone I want to work for anyway...

I recently went to a referral and the first thing the lady says to me is, "where's your dogs?" I tend to have a lot different interest then most of my clients but the dogs always give me something to talk about.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeFowler For This Useful Post:
smalpierre (05-19-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling and fine carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,238

I bring them along sometimes. The pit mix not so much because he's still a rowdy puppy. My older chow mix loves truck rides though. I've taken him to work a few times. Kept him tied outside with us on a siding job once, the customer liked it because his dog got along pretty well with mine. I've taken him along on some projects in I inhabited houses like flips and rentals too.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
I like Green things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G View Post
I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking a dog with you, but only if the customer/potential client is okay with it. If, for example, you show up at Warner's house, he might easily bust a blood vessel soon followed by bustin' a cap in yo butt, or the dog's!

Most people seem to be okay with it, which may be these folks are animal lovers.

I'm quite an animal lover (in fact, more so than some human beings), but I don't recall ever taking one of my fuzzy little buddies to a jobsite.
I like dogs an animals and stuff, but don't show up with a strange dog at my house, who knows what will happen. There is a dog snoring under my jointer right now. I am not taking him to someones house, what if he bit someone?

You can say, he is so nice he wouldn't do that, but it is an animal you never know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (05-15-2014), slowsol (05-15-2014), tedanderson (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

If you can do it, and your customers are OK with it, great, I can understand that. Just not on my job site. Aside from what I see as significant liability problems, it blurs the line between personal life and professional life - inhabited or not, it's someone else's house, and my dog doesn't belong there.

I extend that judgment to contractors that I see with their dogs. I see them as being less professional than the other guys. That may not be fair, but I know I'm not the only person who sees it that way. The image in part comes from the fact that all the C.L. hacks have dogs.

S.F. is a very dog-friendly city, by the way. Lots of dog-friendly employers. Just not me.

Edit: Just to beat the horse a little more: I love my kids, and most of my customers love kids, but I don't bring my kids along on estimates. Personal life and professional life are separate.

Last edited by CarpenterSFO; 05-15-2014 at 11:33 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarpenterSFO For This Useful Post:
backhoe1 (05-15-2014), rrk (05-15-2014), tedanderson (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
Pro

Rewards Points: 886

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO
If you can do it, and your customers are OK with it, great, I can understand that. Just not on my job site. Aside from what I see as significant liability problems, it blurs the line between personal life and professional life - inhabited or not, it's someone else's house, and my dog doesn't belong there. I extend that judgment to contractors that I see with their dogs. I see them as being less professional than the other guys. That may not be fair, but I know I'm not the only person who sees it that way. The image in part comes from the fact that all the C.L. hacks have dogs. S.F. is a very dog-friendly city, by the way. Lots of dog-friendly employers. Just not me. Edit: Just to beat the horse a little more: I love my kids, and most of my customers love kids, but I don't bring my kids along on estimates. Personal life and professional life are separate.
Understood but there is a point that it doesn't matter to me anymore. I should clarify and say that I never take them out of the truck. I'm in the truck hours every day and I take my dogs with me when I can. I would never let them roam around the yard.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeFowler For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
Champion Thread Derailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
I like dogs an animals and stuff, but don't show up with a strange dog at my house, who knows what will happen. There is a dog snoring under my jointer right now. I am not taking him to someones house, what if he bit someone?

You can say, he is so nice he wouldn't do that, but it is an animal you never know.
I know, Darcy. I was just pokin' at you a little bit.

I happen to agree with your take. Personally, when on a jobsite, my focus tends to be on other things, ergo, I could lose focus on what my dog was doing, or being exposed to, among other things. However, if someone doesn't have a problem with it, then I'm all for it. It's just that I don't personally find it okay to have my pet with me on a job. Now, if I could get him to do something constructive, that might be another story.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #16
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,894

I bring my daughter on some estimates. She's 11 months old so she's still cute and not likely to run off and break something yet. She's an ice breaker and the fact of the matter is that sometimes she needs to be with me while I am doing that part of my job. That said, a dog seems a bridge too far to me. It would be a little weird for me if someone brought in a dog while checking out a job. One man's opinion.

Disagree about the personal/professional thing. I own my business, it's family run so I don't see why bringing my daughter would be a bad thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to aptpupil For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #17
water re-locater

Dog is always in the truck..I never pull up for an estimate and just open up door and let him run out and piss all over the persons flowers and plants..He sits there (in the truck) and dosnt make a sound and waits till im done and we leave the estimate...If we are doing a job hes in truck unless the homeowner tells me i should let him out or if i get the right vibe ill ask if its ok if i let him out...Im not selling $300,000 dollar additions or 50 thou kitchens..I sell myself as just a regular guy whos been in the business his whole life and happens to install gutters..I think the dog completes the image

Last edited by NYgutterguy; 05-15-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #18
Champion Thread Derailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUTTERGUY View Post
Dog is always in the truck..I never pull up for an estimate and just open up door and let him run out and piss all over the persons flowers and plants..He sits there (in the truck) and dosnt make a sound and waits till im done and we leave the estimate...If we are doing a job hes in truck unless the homeowner tells me i should let him out or if i get the right vibe ill ask if its ok if i let him out...Im not selling $300,000 dollar additions or 50 thou kitchens..I sell myself as just a regular guy whos been in the business his whole life and happens to install gutters..I think the dog completes the image
Is that him in the truck in the pic you have as an avatar? If so, mighty fine looking feller there!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #19
water re-locater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G View Post
Is that him in the truck in the pic you have as an avatar? If so, mighty fine looking feller there!
Thanks.. Hes a fox red lab...Same color as a golden retriever but a pure yellow lab
Old 05-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsol View Post
What about for the weirdos that have a fear of dogs?

My dog doesn't provide me much company on long drives. He hardly ever talks and when he does it usually about stuff I don't care about.

Always about the "bitch" next door. It DOES get kinda old doesn't it?!?

Advertisement

Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.