Diets - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Diets

Old 02-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 13,096

Diets

I'm not a big fan of diets but I can get behind this one. I'm trying this one for six weeks.

https://www.onnit.com/academy/the-carnivore-diet/

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4,458

Re: Diets

I have tried it- I hated it, which surprised me. Need some vegetables ect...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Advertisement

John
Old 02-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 6,538

Canít open on my phone. Wtf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (02-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I have tried it- I hated it, which surprised me. Need some vegetables ect...

How'd you feel doing it? I've never been on any diet before so I'll be curious. I started yesterday. Hoping it helps the inflammation in my back and stops all the little things that mess up my belly.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Canít open on my phone. Wtf

Not sure, I posted it with my phone.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
water re-locater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Not sure, I posted it with my phone.

Just typed in link. Just another low carb diet. Looking forward to hearing the results

The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Jaws (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
How'd you feel doing it? I've never been on any diet before so I'll be curious. I started yesterday. Hoping it helps the inflammation in my back and stops all the little things that mess up my belly.
Everybody reacts to those diets differently. A guy i see at the gym is on keto all the time it seems like. His energy is through the roof when it's in ketosis. He does change his macros up leading up to a tournament.

I did it for 30 days. I had the flu symptoms after about 5 days for about another five days. Then it leveled out for the last 20. But my energy level and focus and performance on weights excetera was lower that whole 20 days.

It really all has to do with hormones in my opinion. I get my stuff tested once a year when I do my blood work and physical.

My testosterone is still higher, but it defintely changes for guys depending on how they eat.

Your genetic makeup will make a big difference in your natural testosterone level, just like cholesterol, blood pressure excetera, beyond that physical activity oh, what you eat, ect... and other hormones that all affect focus and energy.

John
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (02-17-2019), Jay hole (02-17-2019), Lady Dreamer (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #8
The Sheriff

Quote:
Just typed in link. Just another low carb diet. Looking forward to hearing the results

Is what you do basically low carb? How do you feel doing it?

John
Old 02-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #9
water re-locater

Quote:
Is what you do basically low carb? How do you feel doing it?

I try to do a lower carb diet. I donít hit ketosis or anything. Still have pizza once a week and other breads but try to keep to a minimum. A decent amount carbs in the cereal I eat too but before I was eating a bagel or two.

Pasta once a week.

Just try to keep the carbs to a minimum.

No junk food. No. wasted calories. Sparking water is pretty much the only liquid.

Had 3 beers last night. Not a big drinker anymore.

Tons of fruit to fill me up if I get the munchies.

The diet is part of it. The gym and cardio play a very bigger role I feel.
Iím down 25-30 and honestly the aches and pains I had for many years are all gone. Have never felt better. I do pretty light weight with high reps and 30 min of the elliptical 5- 6 days a week. The real trimming happened when I upped the cardio.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Jaws (02-17-2019), KAP (02-28-2019), overanalyze (02-18-2019), Xtrememtnbiker (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #10
Fire up the BBQ

Rewards Points: 1,976

imo, diets are a bunch of bs. typically a short term 3-6 months on some sort of retricted eating plan.

only times i have seen short term diets work is for body builders to get shredded or a fighter/wrestler trying to up or down a weight class.

a diet for the average joe is way to easy to wander off of. two or three weeks of celery & carrots can be down the tubes with a good sized pizza, pasta or burger dinner....

now that being said what is necessary to lose weight & KEEP IT OFF is a lifestyle change.

this sounds exactly what NYgutterguy is doing.

MODERATION is also a key factor. i have found i do not need nearly the amount of food i need to fill me up as i think i do. difficult concept to grasp when i used to be able to eat a 30 oz steak & taters....

in a lifestyle change the pizza, pasta, burger etc is not going to set you way back.

if you stick to moderation, seriously limit pure junk food, although it is tough to resist a snickers every so often, you will start to see lasting benefits.

throw in some moderate, consistent work out, and you will see results.

one of the best results is a number of aches & pains disappearing or their pain level greatly reduced.
Jaws (02-17-2019), Jay hole (02-17-2019), mrcat (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Roofing and General Contracting
Rewards Points: 766

Another huge factor in any diet is drink water not soda. Water water water!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lady Dreamer For This Useful Post:
Jaws (02-17-2019), NYgutterguy (02-17-2019), Xtrememtnbiker (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #12
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 331

I have never been on a diet. I have been very thin for most of my life. Would generally be about 150 or 160 up until about age 40. Recently I tipped the scale at 200. That has opened my eyes. I drink almost exclusively water and coffees. I have even bypassed putting sugar in my coffee. My Hope is that these small steps will pay dividends down the road. Time will tell.

Easy Gibson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
Jaws (02-17-2019), overanalyze (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
The Sheriff

Quote:
I try to do a lower carb diet. I donít hit ketosis or anything. Still have pizza once a week and other breads but try to keep to a minimum. A decent amount carbs in the cereal I eat too but before I was eating a bagel or two.

Pasta once a week.

Just try to keep the carbs to a minimum.

No junk food. No. wasted calories. Sparking water is pretty much the only liquid.

Had 3 beers last night. Not a big drinker anymore.

Tons of fruit to fill me up if I get the munchies.

The diet is part of it. The gym and cardio play a very bigger role I feel.
Iím down 25-30 and honestly the aches and pains I had for many years are all gone. Have never felt better. I do pretty light weight with high reps and 30 min of the elliptical 5- 6 days a week. The real trimming happened when I upped the cardio.

The 30 mins on the elliptical made a big difference? If so maybe I'll try it. Never seemed like it was worth it - judging by the amount of sweat coming off in cardio and a low rest weights session it seemed like the weights would burn a lot more calories.

Maybe I just like weights and don't like cardio.... Lol

I have read that it does burn more fat.

John
Old 02-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #14
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Dreamer View Post
Another huge factor in any diet is drink water not soda. Water water water!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I don't like soda but not drinking beer as often makes a big difference - and alcohol in general for me.

John
Deckhead (02-17-2019), Lady Dreamer (02-17-2019), SouthonBeach (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,120

I am on a See food diet , been working out pretty good.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
brickhook (02-20-2019), Deckhead (02-17-2019), griz (02-17-2019), Jaws (02-17-2019), KAP (02-28-2019), overanalyze (02-18-2019), SmallTownGuy (02-17-2019), TxElectrician (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #16
water re-locater

Quote:
The 30 mins on the elliptical made a big difference? If so maybe I'll try it. Never seemed like it was worth it - judging by the amount of sweat coming off in cardio and a low rest weights session it seemed like the weights would burn a lot more calories.

Maybe I just like weights and don't like cardio.... Lol

I have read that it does burn more fat.

Youíre actually right about the longer more intense workouts burning more fat. The high heart rate cardio burns more calories, but dosnt necessarily mean fat. Like most things in my life, Iíve been just winging it lol. I couldnít be happier with the results. Has been a lot of dedication for about 20 months straight.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Jaws (02-17-2019), overanalyze (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,323

Two years ago I reached 222 pounds as my all time high, so my commitment was to no longer purchase potato chips, doritos, etc. no matter what was "Two for $5" on the end cap. Goodbye sour cream and onion, sayonara extra hot barbecue, etc. Now I'm 210 and my joints feel better, too.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #18
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I have never been on a diet. I have been very thin for most of my life. Would generally be about 150 or 160 up until about age 40. Recently I tipped the scale at 200. That has opened my eyes. I drink almost exclusively water and coffees. I have even bypassed putting sugar in my coffee. My Hope is that these small steps will pay dividends down the road. Time will tell.
I've never been on a diet either.

I'm not too worried about weight. I'm in pretty good shape. 6' and hover around 190. I used to be big into lifting weights but haven't done much in a long time.

The main goal isn't to get ripped up or anything it's to kind of shock my body into a state of things I know I can process. I get a messed up digestive system and my back just kills me and sometimes goes full fledged locked up. This is supposed to keep the inflammation down to helpfully make it feel a little better. Doctor didn't seem to think it was a horrible idea. He said after 6 weeks my body will be accustomed to it and to then start adding in other foods.

It'll be interesting because I don't really eat carbs anyhow. So far so good. I will still have a glass of bourbon the ole lady got me and a beer or two here and there and supposedly most think that fine. Wife wanted tacos for dinner and I said... Guess I'm getting ground beef for dinner
Jaws (02-17-2019), Warren (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #19
The Sheriff

Quote:
Youíre actually right about the longer more intense workouts burning more fat. The high heart rate cardio burns more calories, but dosnt necessarily mean fat. Like most things in my life, Iíve been just winging it lol. I couldnít be happier with the results. Has been a lot of dedication for about 20 months straight.

The guy that I hired to help rehab my shoulder was also nutrition and workout coach. He makes a work out plan for me, and he took my blood results weight ect... and made a macro/ calorie plan.. he started me off at my maintenance calories, and I lost a pound a week just doing his workouts at my normal daily stuff. I even bought one of those dumb-ass watches that count your steps and he kept track of that.

Been about three and a half months and I've lost 18 pounds, not counting the first week I lost 5 lb, probably water weight..

He doesn't go by daily weight, he takes an average of the last 14 days. Which makes sense. I could do a deuce and lose weight in one day. LOL

The other day he said dude I hate to see if you ever decide to be a couch potato and just lay around around watching TV, you'd be nine hundred pounds. I was like what do you mean? He said well you should be in a deficit to lose weight, but your activity level is naturally pretty high. It's amazing you're overweight.

I was like I don't really think you understand how much I ate and drink prior to 2015. LOL

A good line of his is it's really simple to lose weight, it's just not easy. Basically would griz said above. Lol

Learning a lot with a guy, reading the stuff he sends excetera. The more fat you have the harder it is for you to lose weight, bulk muscle is not the same as lean muscle, Etc. A lot of good stuff

John

Last edited by Jaws; 02-17-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Deckhead (02-17-2019), NYgutterguy (02-17-2019), overanalyze (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #20
water re-locater

I wear one of those dumb ass watches lol

Advertisement

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
DaVinciRemodel (02-21-2019), Ed Hartmann (02-17-2019), Jaws (02-17-2019), tgeb (02-17-2019), TNTRenovate (02-21-2019)