This Deserves To Be On Top. - Page 2 - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

This Deserves To Be On Top.

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #21
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,456
Rewards Points: 6,138

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Simple solution. Make the employers pay back taxes on all their illegal employees if they are caught with illegals.
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (01-06-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 01-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #22
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 25,494
Rewards Points: 3,702

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
I may be confused.

I canít remember if it was the video, this thread, or another talking about laborers at HD whose expected wage was $25/hr.

Pretty sure they are not asking for 1099ís.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not where I was going with it...his entire point is that his wage rate is determined by supply and demand for labour painting. Alright I'm good with that....makes sense.

He claims that because he isn't capitalizing on anyone else's labour, only his own, he's limited to an hourly income....which is determined by the market price. Sure it's a simplification but that's how the study of economics works.

He claims he's one of few non Hispanic painter...sure could be...but then he claims that all Hispanic painters are illegals. He has no hard evidence to back that up with so ever....that's just his assumption.

It's a solid theory....it really is, but at least back it up with a shred of evidence.



Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #23
Pro
 
TimNJ's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,911
Rewards Points: 4,280

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/il...rant-benefits/
__________________
Trump-The "Con Man's" Con Man.
TimNJ is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to TimNJ For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (01-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #24
Pro
 
Tom M's Avatar
 
Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 9,445
Rewards Points: 12,676

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Snopes is joke and no Illegal migrants don't pay taxes, and yes thanks to chain migration they do enjoy subsidized perks, and yes States do offer drivers licenses.

So Snopes...... mostly false
Tom M is online now  
Old 01-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #25
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,456
Rewards Points: 6,138

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


I never really understood this. When paying under the table, doesn't the owner still pay federal income tax on his income that he's giving away as cash? So he's skirting the SS and medicare portion, only if he's paying out of corporate taxed profits?
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
mrcat (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #26
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 25,494
Rewards Points: 3,702

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
I never really understood this. When paying under the table, doesn't the owner still pay federal income tax on his income that he's giving away as cash? So he's skirting the SS and medicare portion, only if he's paying out of corporate taxed profits?
Yes exactly, but if your able to pay 15 bucks under the table it's still cheaper than 25 bucks above board if you only have a 30 percente corporate tax rate.

....but still....I'd really like to hear some statistics on how many of these guys are actually illegal immigrants. The whole video is about a guy bitching that he can't charge more because illegals work for little money.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post:
Golden view (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:30 PM   #27
Pro
 
rrk's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 5,495
Rewards Points: 1,342

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
.but then he claims that all Hispanic painters are illegals.



Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
He said "many hire illegals" within the first 2 minutes or so, not all
rrk is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:33 PM   #28
Pro
 
rrk's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 5,495
Rewards Points: 1,342

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
I never really understood this. When paying under the table, doesn't the owner still pay federal income tax on his income that he's giving away as cash? So he's skirting the SS and medicare portion, only if he's paying out of corporate taxed profits?
The guys that I know who do it demand cash payments or offer non sales taxed discounts for cash.

I know someone who used to keep $100k in petty cash to pay his workers
rrk is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
mrcat (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:35 PM   #29
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,456
Rewards Points: 6,138

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
The guys that I know who do it demand cash payments or offer non sales taxed discounts for cash.

I know someone who used to keep $100k in petty cash to pay his workers
I can't believe they last as long as they do. I'd have no trouble being a snitch. I pay more in taxes because of these business owners.
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is online now  
Old 01-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #30
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 25,494
Rewards Points: 3,702

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
He said "many hire illegals" within the first 2 minutes or so, not all
Ok so he's just a whiny painter who thinks he'd make more money if illegal immigrants weren't around to drive the wage rate down? Makes sense.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #31
Pro
 
rrk's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 5,495
Rewards Points: 1,342

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
Did not read the whole thing but 2 "fact" checks stood out

1- illegals do pay taxes ? how? if they are paid in cash and do not have a SS#

2. They don't get free medical care- All they have to do is walk into a hospital to get care, no questions asked in fact they cannot be asked questions about how they will pay, they do not have to give them any information at all. The question as asked is "credit card?", not "will you be paying by credit card ?" they do not have to respond at all. No identification is needed at all just a verbal name. Hospitals love it because it is charity care and they get funding because of it.
rrk is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
Tom M (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #32
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 25,494
Rewards Points: 3,702

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
Snopes is joke and no Illegal migrants don't pay taxes, and yes thanks to chain migration they do enjoy subsidized perks, and yes States do offer drivers licenses.

So Snopes...... mostly false
Show me what Snopes has gotten wrong if they are a joke as you claim.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #33
Pro
 
rrk's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 5,495
Rewards Points: 1,342

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
I can't believe they last as long as they do. I'd have no trouble being a snitch. I pay more in taxes because of these business owners.
I would say 80% workers of roofers and siders here are illegal and paid in cash, maybe more.

At the the roofing and siding distributors you would be surprised by how many pay their bill with wads of cash and pay their crews with the same wads of cash in the parking lot. There is one guy some mornings spends 4 hours or so sitting at the counter and giving his guys cash as they come in and they paying the material bill in cash.
rrk is online now  
Old 01-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #34
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 25,494
Rewards Points: 3,702

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
I would say 80% workers of roofers and siders here are illegal and paid in cash, maybe more.



At the the roofing and siding distributors you would be surprised by how many pay their bill with wads of cash and pay their crews with the same wads of cash in the parking lot. There is one guy some mornings spends 4 hours or so sitting at the counter and giving his guys cash as they come in and they paying the material bill in cash.
And is the wage rate really low because of it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #35
Pro
 
rrk's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 5,495
Rewards Points: 1,342

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
And is the wage rate really low because of it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
very, they know that unless they have documentation what their "employer" offers is what they get or they will be replaced in seconds.

You have to understand most dont drive, and most live in very crowded rented apt, not uncommon to have 10 people in a 2 br apt. That is what is called "Stacking" which actually started years ago with owners of Chinese food places. They brought in workers who all stayed in the same house, I know because I was asked to build 10 closet sized bedrooms in a basement once. I declined
rrk is online now  
Old 01-06-2019, 08:15 PM   #36
Pro
 
Mordekyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,170
Rewards Points: 4,556

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
Did not read the whole thing but 2 "fact" checks stood out



1- illegals do pay taxes ? how? if they are paid in cash and do not have a SS#



Sales tax, for one. Whether tacked on at the register or hidden in the gallon price of gas.
Income taxes of the business owners of the services they use- if itís reported, that is.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mordekyle is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #37
Pro
 
SPG's Avatar
 
Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 327
Rewards Points: 724

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
Did not read the whole thing but 2 "fact" checks stood out

1- illegals do pay taxes ? how? if they are paid in cash and do not have a SS#
Good question. Sales tax is kinda an obvious one but then I did a quick search to see what else. Apparently quite a few will use a bogus SS# so they're paying the SS tax but not going to get any back come retirement. There's also an ITIN which is a number to use so you do pay tax or use for other financial transactions. If they buy a house then they're paying the property taxes, and if renting they're paying that tax by proxy like any renter since the landlord rolls that into the price of rent.
So yeah, probably not as much tax as you and me, but not nothing either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
2. They don't get free medical care- All they have to do is walk into a hospital to get care, no questions asked in fact they cannot be asked questions about how they will pay, they do not have to give them any information at all. The question as asked is "credit card?", not "will you be paying by credit card ?" they do not have to respond at all. No identification is needed at all just a verbal name. Hospitals love it because it is charity care and they get funding because of it.
Hey, you could do this too. Just walk in and get "free" care! ...and how does that work in the long run? They will come for the money but just like a poor person who was born here they wind up with bill collectors and bad credit. The US born poor person will at least have more charity options for the bill and possibly also be eligible for medicaid.
So yeah, an undocumented immigrant can get emergency room care but they're not going to get regular checkups or care for anything that isn't immediately life threatening, or follow up care. Not to mention that if you don't have papers you'd probably be a little afraid you might get deported for scamming the hospital.
A side note...if you're traveling somewhere outside the US and get hurt, what do you think happens? Do they leave you to die because you're not from there? Of course not. They'll take care of you, bill your US insurance if they can and if not they'll either just do it free or charge you (a lot less than it would cost here, like a couple hundred bucks total for something that would be thousands here).
Anyway...you're right that it's not like they pay full taxes but like most things, it's not as cut and dry as it seems.
SPG is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to SPG For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #38
Pro
 
SPG's Avatar
 
Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 327
Rewards Points: 724

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Besides arguing who gets what, and that's not fair. What's a realistic solution to all this? There's a reason why the government hasn't deported every immigrant without papers and that's because that labor pool has become too much a part of the US economy. The states that got all gung-ho about deporting the illegals suffered economically because of it.
If the US wants to get serious about it they'd just start offering a lot of temporary work visas so these people could come here safely, work for a bit, pay taxes, then go home with some cash. Or, we'd have to increase the legal immigration numbers, but then some of these guys might want to get paid a real wage too.
This system of pretending that illegal labor isn't a big part of our economy is clearly not working too well.
SPG is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to SPG For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 08:40 PM   #39
Pro
 
Windycity's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,962
Rewards Points: 7,814

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Yes exactly, but if your able to pay 15 bucks under the table it's still cheaper than 25 bucks above board if you only have a 30 percente corporate tax rate.


Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk


Plus IMO the biggest thing they are saving a ton of money on is by not paying workers comp on the wages...

My rate is sky high being a mason contractor and one of my biggest expenses





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (01-06-2019), rrk (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #40
Pro
 
woodspike's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: miami
Posts: 180
Rewards Points: 450

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
And is the wage rate really low because of it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
inner10 - you sound a bit off.
really defending things you really have`t lived full time.
we` arent a bunch of racist whiners.
i live in miami

i see almost every roofer with latins who are picked up at home depot. they are paid under the table to rip roofs off. i know roofers who do this.

4 or 5 groups get together , and share an insurance policy , so they seem legal.only one has to be , and he shares the wealth for a few bucks

the drywall , and finisher i use to use "enrique" is cheap , and does real good work for half the going rate , all his guys were illegals.
i don`t do big jobs any more , but i know he has about 10-15 guys . illegals.

i had a kid working for me 10 years back . paid him $80 a day . his brother came in from guatemala.
he was making $3 a day there . here he made $80 the day he got here .

this is all common

i am the only american i see in my trade most days .
i deal great with latins , but it is definitely a bit overwhelming that 90% are latin .

no exageration


the wage is lower because of this


you want facts on paper?
your in the wrong thread .

were talking about our actual life experience here
you don`t want to believe it ?
ok.

why would we lie ?

drama?

Advertisement

woodspike is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodspike For This Useful Post:
Joasis (01-07-2019), rrk (01-06-2019)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What??? waterproofing?? It is not standard here... astor Tiling 26 05-07-2013 12:48 PM
This guy guy deserves a nomination for dad of the year. Brutus Off Topic (Non Trade) 10 09-21-2012 02:01 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?