Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,170

This Deserves To Be On Top.

Interesting video on illegals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkXhx9wIbio

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
Anderson (01-07-2019), Calidecks (01-06-2019), Deckhead (01-06-2019), goneelkn (01-06-2019), Jonbuild (01-06-2019), NYgutterguy (01-06-2019), Randy Bush (01-06-2019), rrk (01-06-2019), ScipioAfricanus (01-07-2019), Tom M (01-06-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 13,046

Re: This Deserves To Be On Top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
Interesting video on illegals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkXhx9wIbio
Overall really good video. He's very well spoken and mannered. be

Surprised a painter did it

The one thing I'd disagree with is his economics idea. Maybe he was just breaking it down into laymen's terms but when he talked about 10 guys getting 15 an HR but generating 25 an HR that he can only make 25 an HR because that's what the market bares. It's not true.

You do work by yourself and without a crew because you yourself bring value in both efficiency and quality as the business owner doing the work. Therefore a job where a guy bids a job at 2500 dollars because he needs to keep his crew busy. You'll be 3000 and it takes you 4 days where it takes the crew of 5 to do it in 1-1/2. You make more per hour than any regular worker.

The real damage comes in when they don't pay taxes on that crew. They can afford to artificially hire more people because their business that is in competition with yours is not playing by the same rules. They are cheating. I wished he would have focused more on that but hey... He is a painter

Advertisement

Last edited by Deckhead; 01-06-2019 at 09:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
Tom M (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 498

thats me exactly in miami .
totall y same issues here

i`ve learned to speak pretty fluid spanish , because i have to . 90% of anyone i hire when i need them is Latin.

the wages here haven`t changed here either.
i`ve charged the same hourly rate for over 10 years .
tried to raise it . clients feel i`m too high

on top of that issue we have this

According to Florida state law, a general handyman does not need a license to perform basic repair and maintenance tasks for homeowners. ... Any activity that involves plumbing (such as installing dishwashers), wiring or construction typically requires a contractor's license.

but of course every " handyman " does it all , and even legally advertises , " no job too big. no job to small"

sorry handymen , i think that sucks .
theres no " handy" architects , " handy" doctors, or "handy" lawyers" " handy "accountants"
handy"teachers.

both these issues have really hurt the tradesman dramatically
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,004

The 90's and early 2000's I was definitely affected more by the wave of illegal contractors. Then the recession and dead economy for 8 years.

Its like a light switch. I cant say they are harming me by carpentry rates. Im actually doing pretty good since the country changed hands.

However, you certainly dont forget and I could only wonder where I would be if it was different sooner. Psychologically too. Healthcare is also huge.

So even though I am doing ok now it doesnt mean I dont hear about from subs. Drywall, flooring, roofing, siding and Friday I had an Asian guy installing tile on a job.
65 yrs old. He was pissed about immigration. He came here legally 35 yrs ago and was telling me how much more he was paid for quality installs in the 90's over rates people want to pay now. So the scars are all around
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
Joasis (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 13,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodspike View Post
thats me exactly in miami .
totall y same issues here

i`ve learned to speak pretty fluid spanish , because i have to . 90% of anyone i hire when i need them is Latin.

the wages here haven`t changed here either.
i`ve charged the same hourly rate for over 10 years .
tried to raise it . clients feel i`m too high

on top of that issue we have this

According to Florida state law, a general handyman does not need a license to perform basic repair and maintenance tasks for homeowners. ... Any activity that involves plumbing (such as installing dishwashers), wiring or construction typically requires a contractor's license.

but of course every " handyman " does it all , and even legally advertises , " no job too big. no job to small"

sorry handymen , i think that sucks .
theres no " handy" architects , " handy" doctors, or "handy" lawyers" " handy "accountants"
handy"teachers.

both these issues have really hurt the tradesman dramatically
Miami sucks in general. One thing is it has a hell of a high end market though. Get in that market and people are being paid top dollar. I know one residential super down there who is making 200k a year. I know if I was to work down there it'd only be on Bisacayne or Miami Beach or South Beach. Mainland sucks down there and guys have been talking about how they don't make any more than us up here and cost of living is outrageously higher.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
Pro

I still think the huge labor savings by illegals in the early 2000's drove up housing bubbles with bigger profits. Then when the market crashed it was even more appealing since the mindset of people was changed, money was tighter.
The labor pool provided a lower risk
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
Robie (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,170

I doubt the labor had much if anything to do with the bubble....cheap interest and bundling mortgage loans that had higher interest and selling and trading them....made a false market....sub prime lending was the key...and the reason labor isn't a factor, IMO, was that since appraisals were also jacked to make values look good in loans....well..what outcome could anyone expect. Dominoes.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-06-2019), Inner10 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,486

from one of the comments in the video

Joe legal works in construction, has a Social Security number and makes $25.00 per hour with taxes deducted.

Jose illegal also works in construction has no Social Security number and makes $15.00 per hour cash, under the table.

Ready?... now pay attention....

Joe legal: $25.00 per hour ◊ 40 hours = $1,000.00 per week or $52,000.00 per year. Now, take 31% away for State and Federal taxes. Joe legal now has $31,231.00.

Jose illegal: $15.00 an hour ◊ 40 hours = $600.00 per week or $31,200.00 per year. Jose illegal pays no taxes. Jose illegal now has $31,200.00.

Joe legal pays medical and dental insurance with limited coverage for his family at $600.00 per month, or $7,200.00 per year. Joe legal now has $24,031.00.

Jose illegal has full medical and dental coverage through the State and local clinics and emergency hospitals at a cost of $0.00 per year. Jose illegal still has $31,200.00.

Joe legal makes too much money and is not eligible for food stamps or welfare. Joe legal spends $500.00 per month for food or $6,000.00 per year. Joe legal now has $18,031.00.

Jose illegal has no documented income and is eligible for food stamps, WIC and welfare. Jose illegal still has $31,200.00.

Joe legal pays rent of 1,200.00 per month or $14,400.00 per year. Joe legal now has $9,631.00.

Jose illegal receives $500.00 per month Federal rent subsidy. Jose illegal pays out that $500.00 per month or $6,000.00 per year. Jose illegal still has $31,200.00.

Joe legal pays $200.00 per month or $2,400.00 per year for car insurance. Some of that is uninsured motorist insurance. Joe legal now has $7,231.00.

Jose illegal says, "We don't need no stinkin' insurance."... and still has $31,000.00.

Joe legal has to make his $7,231.00 stretch to pay utilities, gasoline.. etc.

Jose illegal has to make his $31,200.00 stretch to pay utilities, gasoline and what he sends out of the country every month....

Joe legal now works overtime on Saturdays or gets a part time job after work.

Jose illegal has nights and weekends off to enjoy with his family.

Joe legal's and Jose illegal's children both attend the same elementary school.

Joe legal pays for his children's lunches while...

Jose illegal's children get a government-sponsored lunch.

Jose illegal's children have an after school ESL program.

Joe legal's children go home.

Now, when they reach college age...

Joe legal's kids may not get into a State school and may not qualify for scholarships, grants or other tuition help, even though Joe has been paying for State schools through his taxes, while...

Jose illegal's kids go to the, 'head of the class' because they are a minority.

Joe legal and Jose illegal both benefit from the same police and fire services, but Joe paid for them and Jose did not. *"
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
cwatbay (01-07-2019), donerightwyo (01-06-2019), overanalyze (01-07-2019), Randy Bush (01-06-2019), Robie (01-06-2019), TNTRenovate (01-06-2019), Tom M (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #9
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 7,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
I doubt the labor had much if anything to do with the bubble....cheap interest and bundling mortgage loans that had higher interest and selling and trading them....made a false market....sub prime lending was the key...and the reason labor isn't a factor, IMO, was that since appraisals were also jacked to make values look good in loans....well..what outcome could anyone expect. Dominoes.
ARM and LIAR loans.

yup. I was there. I lived it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Joasis (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #10
Pro

I'm not pinning the bubble on the immigrants I think the labor enhanced the bubble. It was the perfect recipe.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 33,436

I don't think this is rocket science and I don't blame people for wanting to better their families lives, unless it comes at a cost to other families while both are not subject to the same set of rules...

If an illegal person who is from Mexico (could be from anywhere, concept is same) is making $15/hour, that's $120/day... cash, in most cases... the average wage in Mexico is $351 pesos per day (or $18/day US)... add to it all the other financial benefits they realize, and even taking into consideration the costs to get here, it's a HUGE financial incentive... They do even better for every dollar they make over $15/hour... even IF illegals actually paid employment taxes at 30%, they'd STILL be making 4.5X the money for the same work back in their home country...

If an American job was paying $15/hour, or $31K/year, and Canada offered the same work, with a lot of your costs covered that you don't pay for, at the equivalent of almost 7X your wage (over $200K/year), we just might find that would be quite the draw to Canada, as it is in the USA... you could work 6 months out of the year and STILL make 3-4X what you'd make back in your home country...

There are plenty of solutions to this issue... but too many agenda's at play... External forces have gotten us to the point they said they would and there's likely no going back... we are now divided as a nation into fractured groups with competing interests instead of common interests... They've overloaded the system... and it was intentional...

The conflation of illegal immigrants and legal immigration, which is what our country was formed under is only one of the issues we face...

Last edited by KAP; 01-06-2019 at 12:21 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-06-2019), tgeb (01-06-2019), Tom M (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #12
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,698

Immigrant labor is supply side, and would keep house prices down some by helping to increase supply.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Fixed (01-08-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #13
John the Builder

Quote:
Joe legal works in construction, has a Social Security number and makes $25.00 per hour with taxes deducted.

Jose illegal also works in construction has no Social Security number and makes $15.00 per hour cash, under the table.
That is the problem.
That is also the solution.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #14
Pro

Rewards Points: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Miami sucks in general. One thing is it has a hell of a high end market though. Get in that market and people are being paid top dollar. I know one residential super down there who is making 200k a year. I know if I was to work down there it'd only be on Biscayne or Miami Beach or South Beach. Mainland sucks down there and guys have been talking about how they don't make any more than us up here and cost of living is outrageously higher.
i actually don`t like working those areas.
i`ve been talking on here , on and off about a client on south beach.
i can`t get subs to come out !
quite a handful of electricians , and plumbers say " no ,i don`t do miami beach "
or they charge outrageous money . parking is a big issue , i have a permitted job , and i`m told i can`t park anywhere close , because its not commercial rated .
how am i supposed to remodel a condo if i can`t park there ?!

but your right as far as if your locked in , its fine .
i grew up here , work comes my way every day .
prices aren`t as high as i wnt , for the same reason this thread is about .
some homeowners hire me just because i`m english speaking
alot don`t mind having all spanish workers , as long as they get a cheaper price

the trick is to try and push towards high-end work only.
most well-to-do people arent looking for a bargain .
they want " trustworthy in their house
The Following User Says Thank You to woodspike For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 33,436

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
That is the problem.
That is also the solution.
Yes it is... but a social security number is for legal citizens... there's a process for that and some get denied based on the needs/welfare of the country... the process was intentionally made long when the country was founded to allow non-citizens to assimilate...

That the legal process for immigration and citizenship is not being followed while also rewarding those who don't for not following it and penalizing others who are so it benefits companies who also don't want to play by the rules is the crux of the problem...

I'm all for legal immigration... the boat can always get bigger, but if it's overloaded before they can build the new one to accommodate everyone, well...

Last edited by KAP; 01-06-2019 at 12:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
tgeb (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #16
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 3,892

How does he know that they are illegals?
Old 01-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #17
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
How does he know that they are illegals?

Anybody that works under the table is illegal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #18
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 3,892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
Anybody that works under the table is illegal

How does he know they are working under the table?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #19
John the Builder

My first 3 jobs when I came back to Michigan were all cash pay.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #20
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
How does he know they are working under the table?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I may be confused.

I canít remember if it was the video, this thread, or another talking about laborers at HD whose expected wage was $25/hr.

Pretty sure they are not asking for 1099ís.

Advertisement