Deflate Gate Denier - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Deflate Gate Denier

Old 07-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,894

Deflate Gate Denier

Yes, a statistician's blog shows the Patriots probably didn't mess with the balls' inflation:

"
The remarkable result is that only manual deflation (Non-Logo initialization) that is not precluded are amounts equal, within uncertainty, to the inter-gauge bias of ~0.38. It surely passes all understanding why the Patriots would set a deflation target that so exactly matched the inter-gauge bias of referee Anderson’s two gauges. And then executed a surreptitious deflation program exactly implementing this implausible objective. Or even why they would bother with ~0.38 psi deflation rather than more substantial deflation of 1-1.5 psi or more.

I think that one can safely say that it is “more probable than not” that referee Anderson used the Logo gauge than that such an implausible coincidence.

"

http://climateaudit.org/2015/07/03/r...ion-scenarios/

But it seems the NFL officials have been proven to have over inflated Patriot balls:

"
One of the ironies of the NFL’s conduct in this affair is that it can be established that NFL officials (under the supervision of NFL Executive Vice President Troy Vincent) over-inflated Patriot balls at half-time, the only proven tampering with Patriot balls. Brady and the Patriots were unaffected by the overinflation by NFL officials, as they destroyed the Colts in the second half.

Exponent must have noticed the over-inflation by officials, as it is implied by the post-game measurements, but failed to report or comment on it. Their avoidance becomes all the more conspicuous because many of the texts at issue in the Wells Report pertain to an earlier incident in which NFL officials had over-inflated Patriot balls, much to Brady’s frustration and annoyance at the time.
"

http://climateaudit.org/2015/06/28/t...patriot-balls/

McIntyre is a careful guy - we'll see how it all shakes out...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #2
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,956

Re: Deflate Gate Denier

I think this whole stupid controversy is over-inflated as is America's infatuation for this stupid game.

It is a vastly superior game in comparison to Soccer but pales into insignificance compared to Baseball.

Basketball sucks too.

Andy.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 6,484

That's why I only watch golf.
Calidecks (07-15-2015), ScipioAfricanus (07-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post
I think this whole stupid controversy is over-inflated as is America's infatuation for this stupid game.

It is a vastly superior game in comparison to Soccer but pales into insignificance compared to Baseball.

Basketball sucks too.

Andy.
This leaves the possibility that baseball is just less stupid than the others, but still stupid.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post
That's why I only watch golf.
It's a Scottish plot to destroy Western civilization.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Pro

So far, the NFL has shown it isn't expert in gage studies and the like. Since it seems their rules and procedures don't actually match up, court could be interesting, if it makes it that far.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
Pro

I like baseball because it's technical:

Old 07-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 6,484

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
It's a Scottish plot to destroy Western civilization.
One might think so if they have ever attempted the game.....
hdavis (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

You know.... as a die hard Colts fan, I am totally embarrassed by this whole situation.

In my honest opinion, the guys probably do only inflate the NE balls to 12.5 psi because Tom admits he likes them softer. So the fact that he KNEW the guys did that, and likely inflated the visiting teams to 13.5 psi really shouldn't be in question. In fact, Luck has said he doesn't mind them being a tad over inflated. All well within the rules to do it that way.

What just boggles my mind in this ENTIRE fiasco.... is once the NFL was alerted to NE's practice of possibly under inflating the balls, they should have #1) used but a single gage, not two different ones, #2) never let the balls out of their possession once tested, approved and accepted and #3) if testing at half time, testing the balls from each team alternately. That would have been a proper comparison of each teams footballs with all of them having equal time to warm up as the testing was going on.

In that scenario, had they gotten through 14 or 15 (as they did) balls before running out of time, it would have been a far more accurate (and fair) testing of the game balls. Why in the world wouldn't supposedly grown (intelligent?) men think of this, is baffling to me. Had they done it this way.... I don't think there ever would have been a controversy.

But obviously they didn't and now MILLIONS of $$$ has been spent on this debacle and absolutely, ridiculous fines and suspensions have been levied against the Patriots and Brady after the flawed testing techniques were used both before the game and at half time.

Do the texts between the "deflator" and his boss look bad? They sure do. Does the RR visit to use the urinal, where there was no urinal look bad? it sure does. But, without proper testing procedures before the game and at half time, those points become absolutely moot IMHO.

Don't get me wrong.... I absolutely HATE the Patriots and don't have a lot of respect for Belicheck (another discussion entirely).... but IMHO, they were absolutely taken to the cleaners and tarred and feathered by the NFL. It is TOTALLY wrong what Goodell and the NFL have done throughout this entire process. EVERY single step of the way. It's shameful.
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post
It is TOTALLY wrong what Goodell and the NFL have done throughout this entire process. EVERY single step of the way. It's shameful.
At the least, it's misguided. I think the NFL guys are shooting themselves in the foot on this one - McIntyre's (who I trust) analysis pretty much shows the NFL can't win. It's like seeing a couple fight in public.

It's beginning to look like an ugly couple fight in public..
Old 07-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: renovations
Rewards Points: 7,631

Quote:
So far, the NFL has shown it isn't expert in gage studies and the like. Since it seems their rules and procedures don't actually match up, court could be interesting, if it makes it that far.
It also proves the the average 12 year old is far more intelligent that all the NFL people combined.

It's called an air compressor fix the stupid thing don't whine about it.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketofSteam View Post
It also proves the the average 12 year old is far more intelligent that all the NFL people combined.

It's called an air compressor fix the stupid thing don't whine about it.
Than all the NFL people combined? Jesus Christ.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptpupil View Post
Than all the NFL people combined? Jesus Christ.
I'll go with you on this one. They didn't know what they didn't know, and they didn't hire the right people. Happens all the time.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #14
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 13,022

Deflated balls or not, Brady still roasted your stupid team en route to being a billionaire, banging supermodels, and collecting more hardware than... something that collects a lot of hardware.

Regardless of who your stupid team.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:14 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

Dude's a cheater who has three rings thanks to his defenses.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:46 PM   #16
Pro

The first sport I played was hockey. There is no cheating. There are rules, and if you get caught breaking a rule, you get a penalty. That's the rules of the game. Simple. You can break a rule intentionally, or you can break one accidentally.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:55 PM   #17
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,670

What are you talking about?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:35 AM   #18
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 21,292

Quote:
The first sport I played was hockey. There is no cheating. There are rules, and if you get caught breaking a rule, you get a penalty. That's the rules of the game. Simple. You can break a rule intentionally, or you can break one accidentally.
So with that logic there's no such thing as cheating? Or better yet give an example of cheating in football and then an example of breaking the rules. This will be interesting.

Last edited by Calidecks; 07-16-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:21 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
Deflated balls or not, Brady still roasted your stupid team en route to being a billionaire, banging supermodels, and collecting more hardware than... something that collects a lot of hardware.

Regardless of who your stupid team.
Frankly, I nor many others I would presume.... could give a rats a$$ who the heck pretty boy Tom Brady is banging.

As for my team being "stupid".... I would put the overall intelligence of my team up against any in the league. They did however, get their a$$es thoroughly kicked in the AFCCG. Of that there is no doubt. But it had nothing to do with them being stupid I assure you.

But, I digress.... maybe you weren't referring to the overall IQ of the Colts, but rather - resorting to the typical, childish behavior of many NE fans and name calling when rational discussion is over your head and far beyond your reach.

Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #20
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 4,074

Quote:
That's hockey!

I never got accused of cheating until I got on a little league team. That's when I got kicked off too, for explaining to the coaches son how hockey players deal with crybabies.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-16-2015)