GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 14,062

Cure For AIDS

?

Israelis may have done it!

https://twitter.com/adammilstein/sta...561153537?s=21

Mike.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,568

Re: Cure For AIDS

I read a while back that they made significant progress with finding a cure.

Apparently the biggest issue was that the virus goes dormant in the body’s cells are hard to find and kill. Now they are able to find the dormant cells and kill them and potentially curing the disease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 808

Cure something like this , but cant cure cancer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (01-24-2019), spazman (01-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,196

The video clip mentioned they'll be checking on cancers, too.

I certainly hope it wipes out HIV. Maybe it will work on HPV as well.

Lots of money to be made, look for the Chinese to try to steal the IP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (01-24-2019), SmallTownGuy (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #5

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
Cure something like this , but cant cure cancer.
I don't know who these people who owe the word a cure to cancer are. There are comments like this that indicate cancer could be cured but someone isn't doing it. If you really think that, I think you have a moral obligation to do something about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Hartmann For This Useful Post:
Inner10 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hartmann View Post
I don't know who these people who owe the word a cure to cancer are. There are comments like this that indicate cancer could be cured but someone isn't doing it. If you really think that, I think you have a moral obligation to do something about it.
You ought not be telling others what their "moral obligations" are imo.

There's not as much money in "cures" as in treatment. Chew on that for a bit. As with most things, follow the money for the truth.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to deckman22 For This Useful Post:
avenge (01-26-2019), Calidecks (01-24-2019), Deckhead (01-24-2019), griz (01-24-2019), mrcat (01-24-2019), Randy Bush (01-25-2019), spazman (01-24-2019), tgeb (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckman22 View Post
You ought not be telling others what their "moral obligations" are imo.

There's not as much money in "cures" as in treatment. Chew on that for a bit. As with most things, follow the money for the truth.
Thats your opinion and mine is that if you really believed what you are saying, you should do something about it.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
spazman

Trade: floorcovering installer
Rewards Points: 68

Quote:
Thats your opinion and mine is that if you really believed what you are saying, you should do something about it.
Such as?
The Following User Says Thank You to spazman For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,078

I was under the impression that HIV is basically A virus. They research how to kill off that virus to come up with a cure.

Cancer is a misnomer. It should be cancerS.
You have skin cancer, lung cancer, brain cancer, bone cancer, blood cancer(leukemia), breast cancer, testicular cancer…….

See where this is going. One thing to cure vs many completely different things to cure. What you do for breast cancer isn't the same thing you do for brain cancer.

I'm not a doctor I just play one on CT.
Deckhead (01-24-2019), Ed Hartmann (01-25-2019), eyeinstine (01-24-2019), Golden view (01-24-2019), hdavis (01-26-2019), SmallTownGuy (01-25-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:07 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,568

Your right tim, here is a decent article about exactly what you are saying about cancer in that there is no one specific “cure” for cancer

Plus it also talks about the BS conspiracy about a cure being hidden to protect the profits of pharmaceutical companies

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the...n-cancer-cure/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
TimNJ (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:17 PM   #11
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 14,062

I think the big take away here is being able to target very specific genes and zeroing in on Just the disease vs. Destroying other cells in the process.

Mike.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:34 PM   #12
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 12,350

There's a great book from Francis Collins I read about some of this. He's one of the main scientist to help decode the human genome. He predicted this kind of stuff would be happening.

My personal take on this is... cool.

Hope they can get some more. Cancer sucks. So does HIV. Go get'em boys... I'll bang nails, you hammer out the medical issues.
You ain't gonna rock and roll no more
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (01-25-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 11:33 PM   #13
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 6,012

Awesome news if true. I remember AIDS going from an incurable disease to a manageable one to one with a sort of vaccine to now possibly having a cure. Never a lot of news coverage though.

At any rate, keep this kind of research going and maybe we will continue to keep curing more cancers too!
Calidecks (01-25-2019), SmallTownGuy (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 11,884

Good news on the AIDS

I moved a cabinet and installed a dishwasher for a neighbor. I asked him what he did and he said Im a scientist for ***x hospital. Cancer research.

He says we have several cures for many and are real close to the rest. The big deal is getting the body to fight it off like a common cold by stimulating our natural immune system.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (01-25-2019), hdavis (01-25-2019), spazman (01-25-2019), TimNJ (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Awesome news if true. I remember AIDS going from an incurable disease to a manageable one to one with a sort of vaccine to now possibly having a cure. Never a lot of news coverage though.

At any rate, keep this kind of research going and maybe we will continue to keep curing more cancers too!
Magic Johnson has been "managing" for quite a while now.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazman View Post
Such as?
At a minimum, share a little insight with the rest of us as to how such a conclusion was reached.

Treatments for cancer are getting better all the time. It seems some here think the only reason treatment exists is because someone is allowing people to get cancer. So how does someone prevent another persons body from developing a disease?

Are we talking about something like a vaccine or a preventative medication?

These same type who think this way are the ones who have conspiracies from the developments of not so long ago to cure other diseases. That of course being the anti vaccination crowd.

If there was a technology to prevent cancer from developing the free market would produce that result. These conspiracies against industry cause an unnecessary lack of trust that then lead to more and more regulation.

I stand by my statement that if someone thinks a cure is out there and being covered up, they should do something about it. At a minimum educate the rest of us on how such a theory came to be. I don't think this theory came to be by any thoughtful process. It's just people running their mouth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Hartmann For This Useful Post:
Justin Rhoades (01-29-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #17
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 12,350

Quote:
At a minimum, share a little insight with the rest of us as to how such a conclusion was reached.

Treatments for cancer are getting better all the time. It seems some here think the only reason treatment exists is because someone is allowing people to get cancer. So how does someone prevent another persons body from developing a disease?

Are we talking about something like a vaccine or a preventative medication?

These same type who think this way are the ones who have conspiracies from the developments of not so long ago to cure other diseases. That of course being the anti vaccination crowd.

If there was a technology to prevent cancer from developing the free market would produce that result. These conspiracies against industry cause an unnecessary lack of trust that then lead to more and more regulation.

I stand by my statement that if someone thinks a cure is out there and being covered up, they should do something about it. At a minimum educate the rest of us on how such a theory came to be. I don't think this theory came to be by any thoughtful process. It's just people running their mouth.
Before you come across as an uncouthe jackass realize that many may have loved ones suffering from or lost a loved one to cancer. The sentiment is real and empathy deserved.

HIV is an incredibly complex disease that is completely preventable. STD in and of itself proclaims a way to not get such a disease. Cancer... No such luck. I know if my wife, or kids, or parents had cancer for no reason other than because they were breathing... I'd be a little irritated that people are spending a lot of time and money on transmitted diseases instead of ones that are inherent.

You read it as a conspiracy. I read it as Randy saying why fund these things when we could divert the money to more worthy causes... Fair enough sentiment to me.

Personally any breakthrough is good, I'm not going to begrudge someone of any sort of process in which it may help them grieve...
You ain't gonna rock and roll no more
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
Ed Hartmann (01-25-2019), overanalyze (01-25-2019), Randy Bush (01-25-2019), spazman (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Before you come across as an uncouthe jackass realize that many may have loved ones suffering from or lost a loved one to cancer. The sentiment is real and empathy deserved.

HIV is an incredibly complex disease that is completely preventable. STD in and of itself proclaims a way to not get such a disease. Cancer... No such luck. I know if my wife, or kids, or parents had cancer for no reason other than because they were breathing... I'd be a little irritated that people are spending a lot of time and money on transmitted diseases instead of ones that are inherent.

You read it as a conspiracy. I read it as Randy saying why fund these things when we could divert the money to more worthy causes... Fair enough sentiment to me.

Personally any breakthrough is good, I'm not going to begrudge someone of any sort of process in which it may help them grieve...
I thinks its safe to say that most have lost loved ones to cancer. If I sounded unsympathetic to that, I apologize. I see the flip side of what you just mentioned. It's not helping anyone to say that loved ones died because someone wanted to make a buck of treating them.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 11,884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post

I moved a cabinet and installed a dishwasher for a neighbor. I asked him what he did and he said Im a scientist for ***x hospital. Cancer research
Whenever he doesn't understand something I say "hey we're not curing cancer here"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (01-25-2019), TimNJ (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 05:28 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
Whenever he doesn't understand something I say "hey we're not curing cancer here"

Advertisement

Tom M (01-25-2019)