Covid Treatments - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Covid Treatments

Old 07-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Essential Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 19,671

Covid Treatments

Since the approaches have been changing, maybe a thread on the current treatments, prognosis, etc. might help. If you have anything on how folks manage and recover, please add it.

Halfway through this grim vid they show an alternative to ventilators for oxygenating the patient's blood. Pretty amazing.

In other news, I was supposed to head down to Myrtle Beach this week to paint and prep a condo with a buddy, but that plan seems to be falling apart. He's high risk, and his wife happens to have a critical care nursing background. Therefore he's being "highly encouraged" to cancel since Myrtle's numbers are rising. Oh well.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/20...newday-vpx.cnn

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,714

Re: Covid Treatments

we have a friend on the coast, 37 years old, and she was diagnosed & tested positive for the covid virus.

she said she felt crappy for 3-4 days and then was feeling better.

no medication, just lots of fluid, gatorade & chicken soup.

she also said previous bouts with the flu were worse than the covid.

she still tested positive for the virus and that it takes two negative tests to be free of the bug.

Advertisement

MarkJames (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Rewards Points: 1,304

It's really scary how little the doctors knew for sure at the beginning of this. Talking to a doctor a couple weeks ago she said it's getting better and they've figured a few things out that seem to help like proning and blood thinners, but there's still no real treatment that just makes it all better. The hydroxychloroquine thing has been shown to be worthless.
A couple friends who've had it both said it was the worst sick they've ever been and they didn't even have it to the point of going to the hospital. One of their friends who had it in April still can't smell anything. Then again, there's so many people who get it and barely have any symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 1,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
It's really scary how little the doctors knew for sure at the beginning of this. Talking to a doctor a couple weeks ago she said it's getting better and they've figured a few things out that seem to help like proning and blood thinners, but there's still no real treatment that just makes it all better. The hydroxychloroquine thing has been shown to be worthless.
A couple friends who've had it both said it was the worst sick they've ever been and they didn't even have it to the point of going to the hospital. One of their friends who had it in April still can't smell anything. Then again, there's so many people who get it and barely have any symptoms.

Really? Useless?

Quote:
A new Hydroxychloroquine study conducted by Henry Ford Health System revealed hydroxychloroquine successfully lowered the death rate among hospitalized COVID-19 patients by a significant margin.

According to Just The News the use of hydroxychloroquine cut the mortality rate of coronavirus victims in half.

The study examined 2,541 patients who had been hospitalized in six hospitals between March 10 and May 2, 2020.

More than twenty-six percent (26.4%) of patients who did not receive hydroxychloroquine died.

But among those who received hydroxychloroquine, fewer than half that number — 13% — died.

More than 90% of the patients received hydroxychloroquine within 48 hours of admission to the hospital. Scientists say giving the drug early during illness may be a key to success.
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...edicine-video/

― Will Durant
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (07-03-2020), deckman22 (07-06-2020), hdavis (07-03-2020), overanalyze (07-08-2020), Rio (07-03-2020), rrk (07-03-2020), tgeb (07-04-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,396

You know we're screwed when even the medical community has been politicized, and that's exactly where we're at.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rio For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (07-03-2020), Deckhead (07-03-2020), deckman22 (07-06-2020), hdavis (07-03-2020), overanalyze (07-08-2020), pinwheel (07-06-2020), Robie (07-03-2020), rrk (07-03-2020), tgeb (07-04-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 14,963

Hydroxychloroquine is pretty useless by itself. That's not the treatment that is recommended. But that's how they tested it to disprove it. The correct treatment is 200mg HCQ 2x a day, Zpak 500mg once a day and Zinc Sulfate 220mg daily.

The MSM is the one that keeps the myth of it being worthless going. Many counties are using it. The secret of the treatment is don't let them get to the ventilator stage before you try to start the regimen. By then it's probably too late.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (07-06-2020), hdavis (07-03-2020), overanalyze (07-08-2020), Rio (07-04-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 09:32 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Essential Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 19,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post
End Fauci's career?

Here's TheHill's version. Glad they're making progress, btw.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...-19-death-rate
Old 07-03-2020, 09:40 PM   #8
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 8,184

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
End Fauci's career?

I was a big proponent of his at the beginning, but when a guy openly admits he lied, its time to bail.

That guy is an asshole and I will forever catch **** at how much I defended him. But, nah, his words are meaningless now.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:42 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
End Fauci's career?

The hill's version is a little bent. They mention concerns about heart attacks, but don't mention this experiment didn't show that as occurring.

They also mention a large study which said hydroxychloroquine did nothing, but didn't say which study it was.

They also didn't mention some other things that the scientist pointed out, like he explains some if the suffering results a couple days, including the treatment was started early, vs the late start used in other studies.

Plenty of ways to skew the results toward no effect.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:45 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
I was a big proponent of his at the beginning, but when a guy openly admits he lied, its time to bail.

That guy is an asshole and I will forever catch **** at how much I defended him. But, nah, his words are meaningless now.
I don't think Fauci lied. People misunderstand what you get from a scientist.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:51 PM   #11
LRG WoodCrafting

Fauci outright lied on several things. Masks don't work, no on in America should be walking around in a mask. He said that. He repeated it. He made other people say it.

Then he flipped and now says everyone should be wearing one.

I know why he was told to say it. So the population wouldn't be hoarding them and the medical providers could have them. But he didn't say that, he said they didn't work. He was right. And then he flipped and said everyone should be wearing them. Why? You said they didn't work.

If you want to be protected from a virus you need to be in a sealed hazmat suit in a negative pressure room. A N95 mask ain't gonna do it and a cloth mask is like wearing nothing.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:57 AM   #12
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 1,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio View Post
you know we're screwed when even the medical community has been politicized, and that's exactly where we're at.
Covid treatments-d011d54cbec1f0fb.png

― Will Durant
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (07-08-2020), Rio (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 07:02 PM   #13
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10,712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Fauci outright lied on several things. Masks don't work, no on in America should be walking around in a mask. He said that. He repeated it. He made other people say it.

I know why he was told to say it. So the population wouldn't be hoarding them and the medical providers could have them. But he didn't say that, he said they didn't work. He was right. And then he flipped and said everyone should be wearing them. Why? You said they didn't work.

If you want to be protected from a virus you need to be in a sealed hazmat suit in a negative pressure room. A N95 mask ain't gonna do it and a cloth mask is like wearing nothing.

Mike.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:34 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:

They're still using judgement. You had to listen to Birx' explanation about masks. Her statement early on when Fauci said the didn't work was this. People who aren't trained to wear N95 masks and don't wear them routinely tend to touch their face more often, increasing the risk of them getting infected, plus they may go into riskier environments.

The same discussion went with surgical masks and face coverings. Wearing any of them may increase the chance the average person may get infected.

What they are saying now is face coverings will decrease the airborne droplets getting ejected, so it should be of benefit to others, but not to the one wearing the face covering.

The whole thing is conjecture, no study of transmission in large populations with and without face covering or mask has been conducted specifically on covid.

It's all expert opinion. The early emphasis was on what people can do to keep from being infected. Wah your hands, isolate, etc. Thus round is what people can do to keep from infecting others.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:10 AM   #15
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,714

latest mask design...
Attached Images

Calidecks (07-06-2020), deckman22 (07-06-2020), pinwheel (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 12:17 AM   #16
Pro

That early guidance on hand washing and that wearing a mask would be ineffective was the standard for other viruses like the flu, and since this was a new virus they didn't really know differently at the time. A mask won't stop 100% of any virus, but it does help. The common cold and other viruses are spread through picking them up on surfaces.
Covid19 is a more airborne virus than they thought a few months ago. So now that they have more info and more experience of course they're going to update the guidelines. It doesn't mean they're lying and there's some big conspiracy, just that new info has come to light and they're letting you know that.
I'd much rather they tell me something different that actually works over sticking to the first info they had that didn't work.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:58 AM   #17
LRG WoodCrafting

They are still guessing.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (07-06-2020), hdavis (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 5,706

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
latest mask design...
I think TPTB would be happy if we all were wearing "The Gimp" mask.
That or get bent over with a ball gag as the pervs take turns on your arse. The elite been doing it for ages figuring it to be their birthright.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
They are still guessing.
No. They are issuing guidance based on the experience and information they have. As new information comes in, the guidance may change or it may be further proven correct.
What you and the other skeptics are doing is just guessing based on bs and what you want to believe. You don't want to do what you're told so you look for a validation of your view.
The Following User Says Thank You to SPG For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 02:28 PM   #20
LRG WoodCrafting

ie: Guessing.

Listen to yourself. They are basing their recommendations on information they currently have. Basically admitting they don't have the information they need to make an accurate suggestion to the population.

I'll take my chances with no mask. And if you come near me you'll be taking the same chance.

Advertisement

WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
Burns-Built (07-11-2020), hdavis (07-06-2020), pinwheel (07-08-2020)