Covid Cruiselines - Page 2 - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Covid Cruiselines

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #21
Fire up the BBQ
 
griz's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ex-calif
Posts: 23,175
Rewards Points: 1,962

Re: Covid Cruiselines


holy smokes....

back when camera flash bulbs were single use...

no grey in the beard...

very nice of you to marry a blind girl...

nice that she stuck around when she got her sight back...
__________________
SOME JOBS JUST AREN'T WORTH DOING:
griz is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (04-05-2020), Joasis (04-06-2020), tgeb (04-05-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 04-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #22
Pro
 
TxElectrician's Avatar
 
Trade: Electrical
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 7,523
Rewards Points: 892

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
I've been on an Alaskan Cruise. Inside passage. Every day we disembarked at a different port. Nothing like a 5 star hotel transporting you to a new vacation daily.


We also took the kids (when they were little) on a Disney Cruise to the Virgin Islands.


Mike.
_______________
Wife and I did the inside passage and then a land/train cruise this past September. It was wonderful.

Have also done a few out of Galveston, didn't care for them.

I would do another to Alaska

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
TxElectrician is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (04-05-2020), KAP (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #23
Pro
 
tjbnwi's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cedar Tucky, Indiana
Posts: 11,297
Rewards Points: 4,044

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
I used to be an extremely handsome young man. Lol


Mike.
_______________
Sucks getting old....

Tom
tjbnwi is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (04-05-2020), griz (04-05-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #24
GC/carpenter
 
Calidecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 39,835
Rewards Points: 8,984

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post
Wife and I did the inside passage and then a land/train cruise this past September. It was wonderful.

Have also done a few out of Galveston, didn't care for them.

I would do another to Alaska

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

My favorite was the rain forest. I want to say that was in Juneau. Actually I have a lot of favorites.


Mike.
_______________
Calidecks is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
TxElectrician (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #25
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,277
Rewards Points: 39,766

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
Here's a pic of my family and I on the Disney Cruise.


Mike.
_______________
You're pretty good at Photoshop...

Nice looking family...
KAP is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #26
GC/carpenter
 
Calidecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 39,835
Rewards Points: 8,984

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Nice thing about the Disney Cruise when you have small children. They keep the kids busy all day long.


Mike.
_______________
Calidecks is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 06:49 PM   #27
Pro
 
dayexco's Avatar
 
Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,878
Rewards Points: 652

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
Here's a pic of my family and I on the Disney Cruise.


Mike.
_______________
You married way above yourself, you know that... right?

The sport jacket thingy alone just to eat is yet another reason I'll never go on a cruise.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
dayexco is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (04-05-2020), griz (04-05-2020), Lettusbee (04-06-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 07:04 PM   #28
Radical Basement Dweller
 
Robie's Avatar
 
Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 16,936
Rewards Points: 2,458

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
I was reading an article that said their bookings are up 9% for the beginning of next year... to me, that shows pent up demand... we have friends who cruise multiple times a year... dedicated group of travelers who like that form of travel...

People remain optimistic. Optimism is good in bad times.

Quote:
It seems travelers are prepared to batten down the hatches and sail close to the wind, as cruise bookings for 2021 are on the rise.


Analysts at UBS say booking volume for 2021 cruises has “gone up 9 percent in the last 30 days versus the same time last year,” despite many cruise ships currently quarantined amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“That includes people applying their future cruise credits from sailings that were canceled this year, but still shows a surprising resilience in desire to book a cruise,” UBS equity analysts wrote in a March 31 report on cruise lines.

The analysis doesn’t show how much of the reported increase is actually people just optimistically re-booking their canceled cruise for next year, though.
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/cruis...21-coronavirus
__________________
“Now is no time to think of what you do not have.
Think of what you can do with what there is”

― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
Robie is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
KAP (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #29
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,277
Rewards Points: 39,766

Re: Covid Cruiselines


The cruise we went on with the family, we ate some amazing food (5-7 courses) but at the sit-down at night, they personalized everything... We had the same servers, and on the second night (and those going forward), we arrived and they already had all of our drinks ready with the right preferences... It was one of our kids birthday one night and they personalized that without even asking us... they did the same for Mothers Day... servers were totally on top of everything (we had a team of 3), entertaining, and played the right balance of being involved in our dinner experience and keeping their distance...

But even though it was high-class service/food, they only asked us to dress up on one night, and you guessed it, picture night...

We've eaten at some night restaurants over the years, but when we look back at the cruise, one of the first things we always reminisce about were the dinners...

If you haven't already tried a cruise, after all this passes, I highly recommend it...

Last edited by KAP; 04-05-2020 at 07:15 PM.
KAP is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 07:13 PM   #30
Pro
 
TxElectrician's Avatar
 
Trade: Electrical
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 7,523
Rewards Points: 892

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
You married way above yourself, you know that... right?

The sport jacket thingy alone just to eat is yet another reason I'll never go on a cruise.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I didn't take a sports jacket or suit. I was on vacation.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
TxElectrician is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
dayexco (04-05-2020), Joasis (04-06-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #31
Fire up the BBQ
 
griz's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ex-calif
Posts: 23,175
Rewards Points: 1,962

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
You married way above yourself, you know that... right?

The sport jacket thingy alone just to eat is yet another reason I'll never go on a cruise.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

i no longer own a sport coat yet alone a suit....

i have a a couple of pairs of wranglers in the closet, but it's been close to 2 years since i've worn them...
__________________
SOME JOBS JUST AREN'T WORTH DOING:
griz is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #32
Pro
 
MarkJames's Avatar
 
Trade: Essential Handyman Services
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 10,364
Rewards Points: 18,967

Re: Covid Cruiselines


The thought of being stuck on any ship, and visiting ports according to their schedule and disembarking like a herd of cattle...no thanks. And I would be walking in circles within a day. My folks loved it, though.
MarkJames is online now  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
dayexco (04-05-2020), Deckhead (04-05-2020), Lettusbee (04-06-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 07:40 PM   #33
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,277
Rewards Points: 39,766

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
The thought of being stuck on any ship, and visiting ports according to their schedule and disembarking like a herd of cattle...no thanks. And I would be walking in circles within a day. My folks loved it, though.
I thought the exact same thing... until we tried it, and there was a lot available on the ship to do while sailing out and we had a blast at the destinations...

It's one of those things you have to try to get perspective on... I guess because we had such a great time and the kids (who were all adults, save the youngest) still talk about it like we went to Disney, it made an impression...
KAP is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (04-05-2020), Joasis (04-06-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #34
Pro
 
MarkJames's Avatar
 
Trade: Essential Handyman Services
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 10,364
Rewards Points: 18,967

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
I thought the exact same thing... until we tried it, and there was a lot available on the ship to do while sailing out and we had a blast at the destinations...

It's one of those things you have to try to get perspective on... I guess because we had such a great time and the kids (who were all adults, save the youngest) still talk about it like we went to Disney, it made an impression...
I can see the benefits for others, but it's not for me personally. Did it once many years ago. Never again.

Several years ago, I was on a sailboat from St Barths to St Maarten and back. I was on the beach earlier or doing whatever, living off the boat, etc. before a cruise ship unloaded the human cargo all at the same time...totally different vibe for us. No turning back unless I happen to have kids or something.

On the other hand..perhaps just one last trip with my folks..we shall see.
MarkJames is online now  
Old 04-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #35
GC/carpenter
 
Calidecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 39,835
Rewards Points: 8,984

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
The cruise we went on with the family, we ate some amazing food (5-7 courses) but at the sit-down at night, they personalized everything... We had the same servers, and on the second night (and those going forward), we arrived and they already had all of our drinks ready with the right preferences... It was one of our kids birthday one night and they personalized that without even asking us... they did the same for Mothers Day... servers were totally on top of everything (we had a team of 3), entertaining, and played the right balance of being involved in our dinner experience and keeping their distance...

But even though it was high-class service/food, they only asked us to dress up on one night, and you guessed it, picture night...

We've eaten at some night restaurants over the years, but when we look back at the cruise, one of the first things we always reminisce about were the dinners...

If you haven't already tried a cruise, after all this passes, I highly recommend it...

We took Princess Cruises for Alaska. Disney had the better food. Both were outstanding though.

If you want to see Alaska a cruise is where it's at. Otherwise it's a train.


Mike.
_______________
Calidecks is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
KAP (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 07:56 PM   #36
Pro
 
tjbnwi's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cedar Tucky, Indiana
Posts: 11,297
Rewards Points: 4,044

Re: Covid Cruiselines


The wife wants to do the intercostal cruise to Alaska. With everything going on in our life right now, it will be a couple of years.

I have a friend who claims he did the intercostal at least 50 times, never once saw land---he was a submariner.

Tom
tjbnwi is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
Joasis (04-06-2020), TxElectrician (04-06-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 07:59 PM   #37
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,277
Rewards Points: 39,766

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
We took Princess Cruises for Alaska. Disney had the better food. Both were outstanding though.

If you want to see Alaska a cruise is where it's at. Otherwise it's a train.


Mike.
_______________
Well, I don't know if we're going to become cruise groupies, like our friends, but my wife and I have talked about Alaska as one of the places on our list, and you're not the first one to tell us to do it via cruise...

Another for an Alaskan cruise added to the list...
KAP is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (04-05-2020), Joasis (04-06-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #38
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,277
Rewards Points: 39,766

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
I can see the benefits for others, but it's not for me personally. Did it once many years ago. Never again.

Several years ago, I was on a sailboat from St Barths to St Maarten and back. I was on the beach earlier or doing whatever, living off the boat, etc. before a cruise ship unloaded the human cargo all at the same time...totally different vibe for us. No turning back unless I happen to have kids or something.

On the other hand..perhaps just one last trip with my folks..we shall see.
From your posts, I didn't realize you had cruised before... if your folks liked it though, believe me when I tell you that they'd love it even more if you joined them (made our trip that more memorable)...
KAP is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #39
GC/carpenter
 
Calidecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 39,835
Rewards Points: 8,984

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
The cruise we went on with the family, we ate some amazing food (5-7 courses) but at the sit-down at night, they personalized everything... We had the same servers, and on the second night (and those going forward), we arrived and they already had all of our drinks ready with the right preferences... It was one of our kids birthday one night and they personalized that without even asking us... they did the same for Mothers Day... servers were totally on top of everything (we had a team of 3), entertaining, and played the right balance of being involved in our dinner experience and keeping their distance...

But even though it was high-class service/food, they only asked us to dress up on one night, and you guessed it, picture night...

We've eaten at some night restaurants over the years, but when we look back at the cruise, one of the first things we always reminisce about were the dinners...

If you haven't already tried a cruise, after all this passes, I highly recommend it...

Yup we had formal dress one night. I believe a had a tie on earlier. But honestly I don't remember.


Mike.
_______________
Calidecks is offline  
Old 04-06-2020, 03:02 AM   #40
Pro
 
VinylHanger's Avatar
 
Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,640
Rewards Points: 12,956

Re: Covid Cruiselines


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
I used to be an extremely handsome young man. Lol


Mike.
_______________
Well... you used to be young anyway.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

__________________
Your emergency does not constitute a problem with my Constitution.
VinylHanger is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VinylHanger For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (04-06-2020), Joasis (04-06-2020)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?