Covid Cruiselines - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Covid Cruiselines

Old 03-31-2020, 06:21 AM   #1
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 6,688

Covid Cruiselines

Hey Jo, good thing you didnt go on that cruise, you might have ended up on a much longer cruise then indtended

https://time.com/5812920/zaandam-cru...virus-florida/

Whaddya do though if you're governor of Florida? Do they deny them? Florida has a rough go of it down in Miami area anyhow. Do they send them to SC or something? Man, this is a tough situation. I feel for the people on board but they cant just come in and suck up more Florida resources that it looks like residents are going to need.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2020, 01:29 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 14,552

Re: Covid Cruiselines

Your on a floating hotel and land in Hawaii you're not getting off unless you're from here and then in to quarantine you go.
I don't like those floating Petri dishes,,

Advertisement

dayexco (04-05-2020), Deckhead (04-05-2020), tgeb (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 07:28 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,742

I suppose, but who really knows? Our September cruise from Italy is now cancelled also. Good grief.

As to floating petri dishes... anyone remember the Legionnaire's Disease outbreak? I don't remember any cruise ship issues like that one.

Outbreaks
See also: List of Legionnaires' disease outbreaks

The first recognized cases of Legionnaires' disease occurred in 1976 in Philadelphia; among more than 2,000 attendees of an American Legion convention held at the Bellevue-Stratford Hotel, 182 attendees contracted the disease and 29 of them died.[1]

In April 1985, 175 people in Stafford, England, were admitted to the District or Kingsmead Stafford Hospitals with chest infection or pneumonia. A total of 28 people died. Medical diagnosis showed that Legionnaires' disease was responsible and the immediate epidemiological investigation traced the source of the infection to the air-conditioning cooling tower on the roof of Stafford District Hospital.[43]

In March 1999, a large outbreak in the Netherlands occurred during the Westfriese Flora flower exhibition in Bovenkarspel; 318 people became ill and at least 32 people died. This was the second-deadliest outbreak since the 1976 outbreak and possibly the deadliest, as several people were buried before Legionnaires' disease had been diagnosed.[44]

The world's largest outbreak of Legionnaires' disease happened in July 2001, with people appearing at the hospital on 7 July, in Murcia, Spain. More than 800 suspected cases were recorded by the time the last case was treated on 22 July; 636–696 of these cases were estimated and 449 confirmed (so, at least 16,000 people were exposed to the bacterium) and 6 died, a case-fatality rate around 1%.[45]

In September 2005, 127 residents of a nursing home in Canada became ill with L. pneumophila. Within a week, 21 of the residents had died. Culture results at first were negative, which is not unusual, as L. pneumophila is a "fastidious" bacterium, meaning it requires specific nutrients, living conditions or both to grow. The source of the outbreak was traced to the air-conditioning cooling towers on the nursing home's roof.[citation needed]

180 people were affected with 13 resulting death in an outbreak in lower Quebec City, Canada due to contaminated water in a cooling tower.[46]

The safest thing would be to never get out of bed, right? Then come bedsores.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
Artist and not a curator

I'm thinking the cruise companies are done. Dont know how they make it after this.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
Pro

I bought shares in Carnival (CCL), and this is based on past performance, and my firm belief that life will return to normal. I paid $8 a share, and just 2 years ago, they were trading at $64. If I had any extra money, I would be all in on Delta Airlines.

I expect the future of many of these cruise lines will be to get out of foreign registry and on the American register.

My Facebook Page
Old 04-05-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
I bought shares in Carnival (CCL), and this is based on past performance, and my firm belief that life will return to normal. I paid $8 a share, and just 2 years ago, they were trading at $64. If I had any extra money, I would be all in on Delta Airlines.

I expect the future of many of these cruise lines will be to get out of foreign registry and on the American register.
I dunno, man. Not sure how the economy looks after this. We could be looking at a total collapse of some industries and I think a lot of permanent changes are coming. I personally believe every company is going to be looking to insulate themselves from this. Things where large gatherings of people are discouraged.

I dont think any of us realize the size and scope of this event. Companies are going to have to be maneuvarable or they will go the way of the Dodo. We could be looking at things like pro sports being less for fans in the stadiums and more geared towards television. It could be that big of a thing.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:49 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Essential Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 18,873

Once there's a vaccine, irresistible promotions (and promises of new sanitizing measures) will bring back the cruise lines. But whether they wipe out the shareholders with some sort of bankruptcy is another question.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #8
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 2,200

The travel industry, including cruise lines will be back in business in no time.

― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
Old 04-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Not sure how the economy looks after this. We could be looking at a total collapse of some industries and I think a lot of permanent changes are coming.

I dont think any of us realize the size and scope of this event. Companies are going to have to be maneuvarable or they will go the way of the Dodo. We could be looking at things like pro sports being less for fans in the stadiums and more geared towards television. It could be that big of a thing.

If this happens, we may all be dead broke for a generation, but remember, everyone has a stake in this. I think we will be back in full swing by summer. Seriously.

My Facebook Page
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
dayexco (04-05-2020), tgeb (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #10
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
If this happens, we may all be dead broke for a generation, but remember, everyone has a stake in this. I think we will be back in full swing by summer. Seriously.
I sure hope you're right but I've been reading a lot of things that are talking about decades to dig back out of this.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #11
Pro

By this summer??
Old 04-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
By this summer??
If the peak and decline happen by May, what do you expect? Everyone to play dead and stop life? This isn't like a normal recession...the economy was tripping right along...some say cooling, some say growth slowing, but the point is that wages were increasing, people have disposable income, and interest is low, inflation is low.

Now, give the Devil his due, there will be a crunch while people recover from not making payments, and overspending on credit during this, but again, if we get close to normal, the nation will pick up the pace again.

We have never seen a time like this before, and too many people have too much invested in living then to be "the glass is half empty".

My Facebook Page
Old 04-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 39,586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
I'm thinking the cruise companies are done. Dont know how they make it after this.
I was reading an article that said their bookings are up 9% for the beginning of next year... to me, that shows pent up demand... we have friends who cruise multiple times a year... dedicated group of travelers who like that form of travel...

Think about it, you get housing, entertainment, all the food you can eat anytime you want (not to mention full-service dinners), booze, gambling, dancing, comics, concerts, mini-golf, people soup (i.e. - hot tubs), pools, water slides, etc... all for a very little price... and that's just on the boat...

We've been once with the family and had a wonderful time and would do it again but just haven't yet... I'd imagine there will be some great initial deals to entice people like us...
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Joasis (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #14
Pro

The peak will be shifting all around the world, so there's unlikely to be an end any time soon. Besides, what percentage of folks would want to chance getting stuck on a ship right after all this? (Some are still stuck on ships now, I believe.) Cruises will have to be practically free, unless there's a cure by summer.

I think the big boom, when it comes, will be in road trips and air travel. (And I can hardly wait myself!)

...but I hope I'm wrong and it rebounds quickly...just can't image so.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,022

People have short memories. We’ll be fine.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #16
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
I was reading an article that said their bookings are up 9% for the beginning of next year... to me, that shows pent up demand... we have friends who cruise multiple times a year... dedicated group of travelers who like that form of travel...

Think about it, you get housing, entertainment, all the food you can eat anytime you want (not to mention full-service dinners), booze, gambling, dancing, comics, concerts, mini-golf, people soup (i.e. - hot tubs), pools, water slides, etc... all for a very little price... and that's just on the boat...

We've been once with the family and had a wonderful time and would do it again but just haven't yet... I'd imagine there will be some great initial deals to entice people like us...
You dont have to convince me cruises are a great value, I wont go on one if you pay me (unless it's for fishing or to Alaska.)

So I'm not the demographic but my parents are types that would normally go, both have decided to cancel the future cruise idea. I'm willing to bet they arent the only ones. Gotta remember before listening to anything about the cruises, they aren't required to be beholden to US regulation so quite often they can be completely full of **** and nothing you can do about it.

Listen, the Florida economy is going to get hit harder than anyone if cruiselines take a dive, I really want them to be okay. I just dont see it.

I dont see the recovery being all that fast either though. So maybe the two go hand in hand. Would love to be wrong but I think in January next year we're looking at double digit unemployment and a conversation if the cruiselines should just be allowed to go bankrupt. I think this whole thing is going to lead to runaway inflation and a completely upside down economy.

Would love to be told I'm wrong and I had no clue in January, but I feel oddly familiar to 2007 when people were telling us how things were solid...
Old 04-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #17
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 8,636

I've been on an Alaskan Cruise. Inside passage. Every day we disembarked at a different port. Nothing like a 5 star hotel transporting you to a new vacation daily.

We also took the kids (when they were little) on a Disney Cruise to the Virgin Islands.

Mike.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #18
GC/carpenter

Here's a pic of my family and I on the Disney Cruise.

Mike.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,962

So the beard wasn't always grey...

tom
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (04-05-2020), Joasis (04-06-2020), tgeb (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 03:48 PM   #20
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
So the beard wasn't always grey...

tom

I used to be an extremely handsome young man. Lol

Mike.

Advertisement