Coronavirus Mortgage Bailouts Suddenly Swell As Homeowners Face New Struggles - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Coronavirus Mortgage Bailouts Suddenly Swell As Homeowners Face New Struggles

Old 06-26-2020, 06:57 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,790

Coronavirus Mortgage Bailouts Suddenly Swell As Homeowners Face New Struggles

“ As of Tuesday, 4.68 million homeowners were in forbearance plans, allowing them to delay their mortgage payments for at least three months.

This represents 8.8% of all active mortgages, up from 8.7% last week.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/26/coro...-struggle.html

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 19,232

Re: Coronavirus Mortgage Bailouts Suddenly Swell As Homeowners Face New Struggles

In better news, mortgage rates are shockingly low.

Found 2.5% on a 15 year.
Working on making it happen. It would save us $150k.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Easy Gibson For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (06-27-2020), Jaws (06-26-2020), META (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 05:43 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,796

Re: Coronavirus Mortgage Bailouts Suddenly Swell As Homeowners Face New Struggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post

Found 2.5% on a 15 year.

Damm thats a good rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
Jaws (06-26-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
The Sheriff

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 16,114

Quote:

Found 2.5% on a 15 year.
I plan to have my house paid for in 5 years, already had a 3.75 but I am doing the same thing and refiing for the lower interest rate. It made sense for the small refinance fee

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Joasis (06-27-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
Pro

Mines paid for but for that rate I’m thinking about taking out a mortgage, sit on the money and use it to buy land or property if the market contracts. It’s not a million dollar house like Jaw’s, Deck’s, California’s and Easy’s though so it won’t buy me much.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 12,124

Yet everything is still overpriced. 450k is aversge here under 4, is poor shape. 5 gets you a pool or extra parking spot. Terrible really.

New Yorkers are flooding the area driving it up. Thing is they max their monthly nut do they can't afford anything else.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:15 AM   #7
Pro

https://www.studyfinds.org/half-of-u...-selling-home/

“ Half of U.S. homeowners struggle with mortgage due to COVID-19, consider selling home”
Old 06-27-2020, 06:19 AM   #8
Pro

“ Some homeowners have opted for the real longshot, as 19 percent of homeowners admit playing the lottery has helped ease their financial burden.”
Old 06-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #9
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Mines paid for but for that rate I’m thinking about taking out a mortgage, sit on the money and use it to buy land or property if the market contracts. It’s not a million dollar house like Jaw’s, Deck’s, California’s and Easy’s though so it won’t buy me much.
I am in the same boat. Probably wont see any real deals for 6 months or so.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:05 AM   #10
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 19,232

We were talking about waiting to see how Covid really shakes out and affects things, but how much lower could things go?
Old 06-27-2020, 07:17 AM   #11
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 448

I have been casually looking for the last few months, just as research. Property values still look pretty high, and the market isn't flooded with homes just yet. We were already heading for recession when all this happened. With the stimulus, business "loans", etc. we just artificially delayed it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
Easy Gibson (06-27-2020), Jaws (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 07:35 AM   #12
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 1,374

Housing prices in my area are up about 10k this month alone. If we get another round of covid this fall, I think it will go up even higher. Im 40 miles from NYC.

I would sell soon, but a few things aren’t gonna pass the home inspection and I’m too lazy to start the process of getting them straightened out

Last edited by NYgutterguy; 06-27-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,796

Quote:
“ Some homeowners have opted for the real longshot, as 19 percent of homeowners admit playing the lottery has helped ease their financial burden.”

Thats probably their retirement plan as well

Old 06-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I am in the same boat. Probably wont see any real deals for 6 months or so.
At least 6 months, could be a year or more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
Jaws (06-27-2020), Warren (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #15
Pro

Concern I have with rentals going forward is activist judges in the BLM era refusing to evict deadbeats. #socialjustice.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #16
The Sheriff

Quote:
We were talking about waiting to see how Covid really shakes out and affects things, but how much lower could things go?
Interest rates not much, land and houses a lot. Chits high here

John
Old 06-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #17
The Sheriff

Quote:
Quote:
Man thats rough

John
Old 06-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 12,124

With New Yorkers defecting to my area they easily get mortgages based on monthly rent payments they are used to. So low money down and max mortgages gets them into the burbs only they are not used to paying for upkeep of a home and they don't have the extra money so the shoemakering is a self feeding normal. It's getting worse
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
Jaws (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: GC carpenter
Rewards Points: 8

Good time to renote for sure. Lowest rate in 50 years. However the writing is on the wall as the snowball slowly rolls down the hill. Been in this game too long. Will take a while but we will see more foreclosures & short sales than ever. Save your quarters boys been too strong too long. Heading to a buyers market if anybody’s got any cake left to buy
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingcarpenter1 For This Useful Post:
Jaws (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #20
The Sheriff

Quote:
House is just so so, just don't owe a lot on it because I did a lot of the work when I built it.

I considered pulling some out too but I dont want to move from here so paying off would make sense asap. Taxes are only about 500 a month with ag exemption so don't want an upgrade to pay more.

I'm fortunate the timing was perfect cash wise. I haven't taken a distribution in 18 months, I was about to build a spec on one of our lots in Kings Cove so we are cash heavy.

Doing what your talking about with your house with our shop, while we cashflowed a lot of the office we did pull a 150k loan and it will close next month super low interest. Had planned on just closing the loan out and doing cash but we have that cash now

I compromised at home, we were supposed to buy a new camper and put aside for it, but my wife is cool holding off for now. I sold my boat too. We dumbed down the outdoor kitchen and are doing a camper shed, no concrete in the barn etc... keeping more cash available

I can gut a house to the studs, new MEPs, windows, spray foam, custom cabinets and trim with some cool ceiling beams, wainscoting etc, new showers, solid surface counters, floors, nice backsplash and custom Parade of Homes quality paint for about 55 bucks a ft at my cost. If I could get 4 or 5 bought decent, gutted and remodeled on notes, rent and hold until market is high again i could dump and pick up 400-600k cash in a 5 year period.

Got to time stuff right though, I need a lot of cash on hand for overhead if I slow down but if I can bear down and sign the big one I have in design to start in September id have over 4 million under construction for the next 12 months, and that leaves me free and mean to find and sign enough work in that 12 months to pay bills into 2022. If thats the game ill play it

Advertisement

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (06-27-2020)