Contractors That Worked Both In California AND Texas - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Contractors That Worked Both In California AND Texas

Old 01-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 488

Contractors That Worked Both In California AND Texas

Hello All!! We are considering moving from Sacramento CA, and setting up camp somewhere between Austin and Houston Texas. I spent some time in Galveston as a kid, but I don't recall much. Also lived in Houston....but again, too young to remember. So reaching out to this incredibly large family of contractors here......

Looking for thoughts from those who live in those areas as to the work load. It looks like we may reduce the scope of what we do from remodels and additions to just carpentry and smaller 2-3 day gigs. Maybe even jump on as an employee to a company that is established and could be a career....to be honest....the politics and office crap suck. I just want to build it....lol

Looking for the desired places to live.....we were pointed towards Katy, TX, Richmond, TX, and another friend that moved there is doing great in Missouri City TX... Any places we should stay away from? Any places you guys think raising 4 kids would give them the tools to succeed? great schools, communities we can contribute to? We are donators....we love to stay active in community events, helping out those in need...and surprising people with taking care of projects they normally couldnt afford. So looking for areas where people still love people. We are not religious, but incredibly strong morals. do unto others kinda thing.

any input from guys that lived both here in Sac, then moved there to TX. Weather differences? how long to get used to the humidity? I spent my teen years in New Orleans, so i think id get used to it quick....my wife though? she has only visited the humidity a time or two...lol

We are making out our 5 year plan now. We want to be debt free before the move. And plan to keep the properties we have here, still renting out the current rental, and turning our home into a rental. Mother in law coming with us, so her house will become a rental as well...

super excited about the move. And would love to here your pros and cons, opinions on areas, and anything else you Texans would like to share...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 682

Re: Contractors That Worked Both In California AND Texas

Im west of Austin but have family in Sugar Land. It's not far from Katy and seems like a nice place to raise a family. They live in a part of town called New Territory. Close enough to Houston to always have work, but out of the craziness.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
98crewcab (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
Pro

awesome, thanks for the input. Maybe you'd know this one too.....Texas does NOT require a license for Contracting?! I mean, other than elec, plumb, hvac, fire sprinklers, and well drilling.....how do they regulate contractors? Would one "register"? Or could one just bid a project and start working....? Here in Cali, you have to jump hoops to get licensed....and even then sometimes I thought about throwing in the towel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 11:05 PM   #4
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 14,406

No rules no regs. Just need a cell phone and pick up so they tell me. Saw some tard in a Prius from Re Bath the other day. Guess we just need a cell phone now. No memo.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
98crewcab (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 12:06 AM   #5
Pro

lol, thats funny. Thanks Jaws. What is it like pulling permits there? Here, it just cost me $4k for permits, plans, title 24 energy crap, and engineering.......for a 108sqft bathroom addition......
The Following User Says Thank You to 98crewcab For This Useful Post:
Jaws (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 12:10 AM   #6
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 14,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98crewcab View Post
lol, thats funny. Thanks Jaws. What is it like pulling permits there? Here, it just cost me $4k for permits, plans, title 24 energy crap, and engineering.......for a 108sqft bathroom addition......
Austin is a PITA, to many Cali transplants No disrespect intended. Im sure its the yuppies who are driving it

Permits wont be that high here. Out where i live i get my plan's ready for submitals and turn them in with engineering and a scope. Get approval within 3 days, normal inspections.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
98crewcab (01-24-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 4,156

Permits in Austin are getting costly besides a major pain to get approved. On a recent deck remodel with permits, inspection fees, engineering & permit expiditer it was over 2.5K, for the same footprint with some minor new work. I suspect all the bigger cities here to be pretty much the same. Like Jaws said, total difference in suburbs & small towns
98crewcab (01-24-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: FI
Rewards Points: 704

I recently moved from Austin to Cedar Park-actually just about a mile or so . Cedar Park-Leander area is one of the fast growing communities in the nation. Lots of commercial and residential work. Good schools, great people. I live here over 8 years and earn trust of the customers pretty fast and afford to choose who to work, never had a problem with any client here in TX- had some conflicts with clients who were PAIN in DC, NOVA etc. just trying to avoid pay. I am a perfectionist so my work style did not chanced.
TX is the best place I have lived for ease of regulation and paperwork.
Only thing is Franchise Tax which applies to 1M and over revenue, but need to filed by any one in business, I found out they are gonna get rid off soon.
Cost of life is much cheaper than CA and DC, we were in vacation in LA last summer and seen everything costs almost twice.
The Following User Says Thank You to astor For This Useful Post:
98crewcab (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,308

If you want the future, pick somewhere like Odessa or the panhandle region. The future security will always be energy driven in our lifetimes, and locating where there is an energy market and few contractors is the key. Of course, living in the rural areas is an adjustment, but I would not have it any other way.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following User Says Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
98crewcab (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #10
Pro

wow, thanks all. Very informative. Think I talked her out of Austin, and more towards the gulf, northern Houston area. I dont think being near ex californians would get me far enough from here....lol.

Really appreciate all of the feedback....I cant wait to start fresh.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 682

Be prepared for the humidity

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
98crewcab (01-26-2015)