Business Meetings At Not Family Friendly Locations - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Business Meetings At Not Family Friendly Locations

Old 09-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #1

Trade: Roofing

Business Meetings At Not Family Friendly Locations

I'll start with I am the wife of a roofer, I used to work with his previous company but I'm now in medical research.

My husband has gotten in the habit of having business meetings at these places that are much worse than Hooters but not quite a strop club. (Tight ends and Wild Pitch in Frisco). He says the other guys are picking the location and if he tries changing the location, they will judges him and not want to do business. His female cousin backs up his claim stating there are a lot of sleezy guys in the business. From a non-construction point of view, I would think I would rather do business with someone who stands by their morals. What do y'all think? Would you be less likely to do business with a guy who insists on meeting in more family friendly places to appease his wife?
The Following User Says Thank You to RAH For This Useful Post:
goneshootin88 (09-13-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 20,250

Re: Business Meetings At Not Family Friendly Locations

Good luck with your impending divorce.

I'm kidding. Kind of....

I've literally never once heard of guys meeting at the club to hammer out business. There was a painter around here who once got fired from a job when the customer found him in his truck with her underwear on his head. He didn't even close his sales at the club.

Maybe some of the Bay area guys will tell you different, but I've never seen it done in Jersey, and we've got a lot of clubs.

Advertisement

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Easy Gibson For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (09-07-2016), charimon (09-10-2016), Deckhead (09-07-2016), FrankSmith (09-08-2016), SmallTownGuy (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

A business meeting? Is that what they call it?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (09-08-2016), Rio (09-07-2016), SectorSecurity (09-07-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

There are sleeazes in ALL businesses. About the same ratio too.

A big part of why I went into business is so that I could choose the who, when, where of the people I associate with.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 1,232

I have meetings at the josite, customers place, or my shop.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
Agility (09-07-2016), Deckhead (09-07-2016), Defenestrate (09-07-2016), FrankSmith (09-08-2016), Jaws (09-07-2016), Rio (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #6
The Sheriff

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 17,230

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nah generally at the shop or job, don't like business getting in the way of making it rain.

Cheif Joseph

Last edited by Jaws; 09-07-2016 at 10:52 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
asevereid (09-07-2016), CharlieDelta (09-07-2016), Easy Gibson (09-07-2016), EricBrancard (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 5,446

It comes down to you either trust him or you don't , if he's bringing the money in, let him do his work.

If you don't trust him just show up where he is having his meeting and see for yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snobnd For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #8

I don't want to get into details of my
Marriage. Obviously there are issues. Just curious if this is really a thing or I like I suspect, am getting a load of sh*t.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #9

Also, I'm bringing in the money as well.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #10
Pro

How long do the meetings last? Half an hour, or untill the bar closes?
Old 09-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #11
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 8,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Marriage. Obviously there are issues. Just curious if this is really a thing or I like I suspect, am getting a load of sh*t.
No, it's not normal. I had a drywaller try to meet me at a "gentlemen's club" and I laughed at him. I have met clients at a starbucks once or twice but almost exclusively at the job or their house because I want them to know my business is my business, and my shop is at my house property. Clients are clients, not friends. You do not do the things with them that you do with friends or you have already started on the wrong foot and one of the two of you will look to take advantage of the other.

If you confront him. Don't do it in an accusatory way that will put him on the defensive. He is telling you where these meetings are so there is something to that. He might not be as bad as we all make him out to be, trust me, we seem to see the worst in everything when it comes to marriage. I really hope you guys find a way to work it out.
PRP (09-07-2016), Rio (09-07-2016), TxElectrician (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 986

Quote:
It's really hard to say. I would imagine there are people who meet in these locations. I'm certainly not one of them. If I am having a meeting, I'd prefer it to be somewhere where we could actually discuss details, etc, without unnecessary distractions. If someone was dead set on the meeting place being half way to a strip club and the location of the meeting was more important to them than the actual business at hand, they aren't someone I want to do business with.
The Following User Says Thank You to EricBrancard For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Carpentry; Kitchen & Bath Reno
Rewards Points: 1,016

Quote:

We can't really tell you whether your husband is full of it or not. He could be a stand up guy with really awful GCs and potential clients. Or he could be full of it.

I wouldn't take a meeting at a Hooters or a strip club or whatever, it's not sensible. But I can imagine a world where a GC gets his subs together at The Pretty Much Naked Pub to distribute plans and get loaded with the promise of a paying job on the horizon.

And if some guy can't go because his wife won't let him, yeah he'll hear about it on the job site. So what? It's certainly better than hearing about it at home!
The Following User Says Thank You to Agility For This Useful Post:
charimon (09-10-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #14

Depends but often hours long
Old 09-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #15
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 20,250

In his favor though, I will say this: If I had a good client or GC that was feeding me work but INSISTED that we do all our business at the club, I'd go to the club to preserve the relationship. Maybe the guy is just lonely and looking for some company. Who knows?

If your husband is insistent that this is the case and he doesn't want to rock the boat, maybe it's the truth.
If he's telling you that the industry standard is to draw up roofing contracts at the titty bar, he's lying to your face.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Easy Gibson For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (09-07-2016), Framer53 (09-07-2016), j_sims (09-10-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 40,712

Quote:
I'll start with I am the wife of a roofer, I used to work with his previous company but I'm now in medical research.

My husband has gotten in the habit of having business meetings at these places that are much worse than Hooters but not quite a strop club. (Tight ends and Wild Pitch in Frisco). He says the other guys are picking the location and if he tries changing the location, they will judges him and not want to do business. His female cousin backs up his claim stating there are a lot of sleezy guys in the business. From a non-construction point of view, I would think I would rather do business with someone who stands by their morals. What do y'all think? Would you be less likely to do business with a guy who insists on meeting in more family friendly places to appease his wife?
Rah, we don't know her relationship with your husbands company, but the fact that your female cousin is backing him up on his claim should afford him some latitude... how much is up to you...

It seems this is something new, and that he was getting business before this, if the only way your husband can drum up business in your area (as you can see by the responses highly unlikely) is to attend meetings at what looks to be sports bars, take comfort in the fact that he can see less on the beach or even less on an R-rated movie... at least he's there trying to get business... if he's not getting business while spending hours there, I can see how it becomes a concern... especially when you feel you are bringing in the money...

Something you might want to consider, if you've never been, on your next night out, consider going to one of the two sports bars... once the mystique rubs off and you observe how the servers interact with customers, and then envision a group of guys discussing business at the same time, it might just give you a better feel that your husband is not just there for the view... if you're intimidated or uncomfortable after doing so, I'd encourage you to ask him how he got business before this...

Going to a sports bar is generally after hours activity... Unless there is something elaborate involved (which most GC's wouldn't want to do in a sports bar anyway for a variety of business reasons), and unless he's getting paid to be there, it doesn't take most roofers hours to come up with a contract... eats away at the money they make in a year because there's only so much time for business... even if it's only once a week at two -three hours a week, including drive-time, that's the equivalent of 2 1/2 - 4 WORK WEEKS of time he's not getting paid for...

While I don't speak for anyone but myself, based on the posts, I think we can all read between the lines and get where you're coming from on this... along those lines, look for win/win scenario's and understanding both sides...

Last edited by KAP; 09-07-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #17
Pro

Are you in Frisco, Tx? If so, welcome to the site, we need a few more Texans to off set the east and west coast folks.

You could also be in luck, we have a female roofer here in your area. Maybe she'll chime in with what's standard around Dallas. If nothing else, maybe she'll kick his butt for you, she's a tough little gal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
Jaws (09-08-2016), j_sims (09-10-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 688

http://businessadviser.co/conducting...s-restaurants/

Not such a crazy idea, and a roofer will need to find a place that lets people in with roofing tar on their pants.

Last edited by fourcornerhome; 09-07-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #19
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 8,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post
Are you in Frisco, Tx? If so, welcome to the site, we need a few more Texans to off set the east and west coast folks.

You could also be in luck, we have a female roofer here in your area. Maybe she'll chime in with what's standard around Dallas. If nothing else, maybe she'll kick his butt for you, she's a tough little gal.
"maybe" she'll kick his butt? Too timid.

More like "maybe she'll impersonate a server and put a hookblade at his throat"
Jaws (09-08-2016), TxElectrician (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #20
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 136

Every time it rained (back when it used to rain) we drew a circle on the slab and if 12 drops fell inside that circle we were off to 'Dirty Dans'. We tore that place up! It was just topless though. That was when I was single. I have too much respect for my family to do that anymore.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
dayexco (09-07-2016)