Brass Shell Casings - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Brass Shell Casings

Old 01-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,018

Brass Shell Casings

PROOF THAT WE HAVE SOME IDIOTS IN WASHINGTON

This is totally crazy and it should make you want to slap the hell out of the idiots we have in Washington DC.

Georgia Arms is the 5th largest retailer of .223 Ammo in America . They sell 9mm, .45, .223 ammunition. They normally buy spent brass from the US Department of Defense. Spent brass is "one time used" shell cases used by our Military for training purposes.

They buy the brass, recondition it, and then reload the brass for resale to Law Enforcement, Gun Clubs, Gun Shops, and stores like Wal-Mart. They normally buy 30,000 lbs of spent brass at a time.

This week the DoD wrote a letter to the owner of Georgia Arms and informed him that from now on the DoD will be destroying the spent brass, shredding it. It will no longer be available to the ammo makers, unless they buy it in a scrap shredded condition (which they have no use for).

The shredded brass is now going to be sold by the DoD to China as scrap metal, after the DoD pays for it to be shredded. The DoD is selling the brass to China for less money than the ammo makers have been paying, plus the DoD has to pay to have the brass shredded and do the accounting paperwork.

This sure helps the economy now doesn't it? Sell cheaper to China , and do not sell at all to a proven US business. Any hidden agenda working here? Obama going after the Firearms Industry and our ammunition!!
The Georgia Arms owner even related a story that one of his competitors had already purchased a load of brass last week. The DoD contacted him this week and said they were sending someone over to make sure it was destroyed. Shell cases he had already bought!

The brass has no value to the ammo maker if it is destroyed/shredded/melted.
The ammo manufacturer only uses the empty brass cases to reload different calibers, mainly .223 bullets.

The owner of Georgia Arms says that he will have to lay off at least half of his 60 workers, within 2-3 months if the DoD will no longer sell spent brass cases to the industry. Georgia Arms has 2-3 months of inventory to use, by summer they're out.

If the Reloading Industry has to purchase new manufacture brass cases, then the cost of ammunition will double or even triple, plus Obama wants to add a 500% tax on each shell.

You can read the information and see the DoD letter to Georgia Arms here:
The Shootist Site http://www.theshootist.net/2009/03/d...-military.html < https://webmail.metrobrokers.com/exc...-military.html >

If you're not outraged at what this administration is doing you
should be! Be Afraid! Be Very Very Afraid! Get involved! It's Your Freedom and Our Country They're Stealing! If You Fail to Act Now, there may not be a Free United States tomorrow!

I implore you to get involved. Contact your legislators and put them on notice, We're fed up with what's going on in the name of stimulating our economy!
goneelkn (01-20-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

Re: Brass Shell Casings

I heard of this quite some time ago. Obama pushed this through with the intention of keeping the brass out of civilian hands and to drive up the cost of current ammunition. If they cannot infringe on the 2nd Amendment then they will infringe on the ammo in every way possible. Think about it, 10 yrs ago it really wasnt really cost effective to reload these rounds as they were cheap to purchase. I remember buying 9mm, .45, 30-30, .270, etc for around $13-$17 a box. Now you are looking at $28-$35 a box if not more. When Obama went in office you could not find 9mm, .45 or .223 rounds on the shelf and there was a long waiting list due to the demand. The demand has dropped but not the price.

Advertisement

Last edited by woodchuck2; 01-20-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life
Rewards Points: 2,000

They reversed course on this a few years ago.

It would of been nice if it would of stuck. My stock piles would be worth more than. Now I am under water on my ammo investments.
The Following User Says Thank You to JustaFramer For This Useful Post:
woodchuck2 (01-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

I did not hear of that but glad it did get reversed. Guess the price on ammo is the same as gasoline, once it goes up it will not come back down.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck2 View Post
I did not hear of that but glad it did get reversed. Guess the price on ammo is the same as gasoline, once it goes up it will not come back down.
Actually the price of ammo isn't very much. A case of russian imports is around 200 for a 1000 rds. Pistol 9mm is 100 for 500rds. Brass 223 is ridiculous but that is because of military demand.

When ammo was scarce I bought a reloader. However primers were hard to come by at that time. So the damn thing has sat in my closet. May this summer I will set it up and load some rounds.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do

The Future scarcity of Ammunition has been weighing on my mind HEAVILY for some time now.

Almost like the Mad Max Movies and gas...

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 01-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 3,932

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post
The Future scarcity of Ammunition has been weighing on my mind HEAVILY for some time now.

Almost like the Mad Max Movies and gas...

Time to stock up!
MALCO.New.York (01-20-2012), SC sawdaddy (01-20-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 400

I have a pretty hefty stockpile finally, it took 3 years of buying two boxes and shooting one but it's nice to know I have it now.

Now I just buy extra every 2 or 3 times I go shooting, and simply take an old box to shoot and add the new ones to the bottom.

Some people downright horde the stuff though and it is annoying when the store is out of every brand of the same caliber because somebody bought 200 bucks worth of ammo all at once.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snobnd View Post
Time to stock up!
Those in Power and who are "In the know", KNOW what is going to occur.

We NEED to Arm-Up.

There will come a time where Protecting one own Domain and Welfare is apparent.

I am rather excited at the prospect of "Survival of the Fittest" (and best equipped!)!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 01-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpenter

Damn, it's nice to know we're all badas$es.

Advertisement