Beauty And The Beast - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Beauty And The Beast

Old 09-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

Beauty And The Beast

My daughter recently moved out of town. I asked her how it felt to know she had the ugliest and the prettiest dog in the neighborhood. We had only seen one other. Actually, I am not sure we had seen any when I asked her.

The little Pug/boxer mix (Viona)has been described as a genetic nightmare by her vet. She was a very expensive pound pup (Parvo for starters).

The Husky (Kahl) is a somewhat new addition to the "family" and is absolutely fascinating to watch and study, not to mention he is a very good looking dog that draws comments and or stares everywhere you go with him.

Come to think of it, Viona gets stares and comments too. Comments like, " What is that?!" Haha!

Kahl made a majorette break form at the home coming parade today.

Both of these dogs are loved very much. Just though I would attempt to show some contrast in the two.

I suggested they may want to wait a while about getting the Husky snipped as he has very intriquing markings and demeanor. Might want to stud him out a few times. $250 or pick of the litter.
Attached Thumbnails
beauty and the beast-cohl-viona.jpg  

Last edited by boman47k; 09-30-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Beauty And The Beast

Inspiration for Kahl's name. Kahl Drago

Advertisement

Last edited by boman47k; 09-30-2012 at 12:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to boman47k For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (10-03-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

much easier to chase after the pug..those Huskies get going they don't wanna stop
TimelessQuality (10-03-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,018

It might be eaiser to catch the pug if you teach the husky to "mush."

boman47k (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
much easier to chase after the pug..those Huskies get going they don't wanna stop
One of the biggest reasons I do not have one. Had to sneak up on that rascal and grab him to get him back in the house while dog sitting him. Not good from a bonding viewpoint.

That is a very intriquing dog. I am somewhat fascinated by him. By far the best marked one of the litter imo.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC sawdaddy View Post
It might be eaiser to catch the pug if you teach the husky to "mush."

Heheh, she is no problem. He is the one you may not want to let out without a leash. He can absolutely tune you out when something gets his attention.

Its interesting to watch him and he reacts to his environment. I can definitely see what I consider might be some wolf traits.

Also interesting to hear how his siblings play. There are still two of them and the parents. They tend to have more of a pack mentality than normal dogs.

When rough housing, one might attack from the front while one goes to the rear and hamstrings the victim like they might in the wild to bring down a bigger animal I assume.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: A/V, Renovation
Rewards Points: 250

That Husky is gorgeous.
The Following User Says Thank You to avguy For This Useful Post:
boman47k (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
Pro

Check these eyes out. The things almost look electrically charged somehow. Maybe he is possessed.

If he was mine, I might consider studding him out at some point.

I guess that would make me the pimp with a limp.
He has to be about the most beautiful dog I have ever personally been around.
Attached Thumbnails
beauty and the beast-contacts-kahl-.jpg  
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,429

Great looking dog Boman. And the pug isn't to bad either......

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 53,000 Subscribers and over 9,500,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
boman47k (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,918

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
I suggested they may want to wait a while about getting the Husky snipped as he has very intriquing markings and demeanor. Might want to stud him out a few times. $250 or pick of the litter.

Never snip a male before they're two. Here's some stuff that's published in academic journals that HSUS and your vet won't tell you:

1) Spaying or neutering an adult dog results in overall more behavior problems. For instance, spaying a female adult Doberman makes them more stranger aggressive than than an un-neutered male Doberman

2)Neutering a male before 2 years results in all kinds of bad things. The immune system doesn't develop properly, making the dog more susceptible to getting cancer and all kind diseases. The thyroid doesn't develop properly, increasing the risk of having to put the dog on thyroid medication for the rest of it's life and having a cranky dog. Bone growth becomes abnormal, typically resulting in longer legs and risk of Patella problems or hip problems.

ALL the published research says spaying and neutering is a bad idea. Vets like to do it because they get $$$.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
Future Post Deleter...

Trade: Nothing
Rewards Points: 1,092

Yea nothing like breeding and adding to the already over populated pet population.

Ever walk through a shelter and see all thoes helpless animals cause their old owner didn't care.

Pisses me off.
The Following User Says Thank You to rex For This Useful Post:
Stewy (10-04-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
Yea nothing like breeding and adding to the already over populated pet population.
Males dogs don't give birth. Having stranger aggressive females doesn't improve things, either.

I've been to plenty of shelters in a few different states. I think shelters are not very good places for dogs, for a bunch of reasons. Knowing some of the individual stories of dogs and cats that ended up in shelters, I don't judge the previous owner without knowing the story.

So here's a story for you (the dog didn't end up in a shelter, but almost). This woman buys a puppy at 8 weeks from a good breeder. The particular breed is very different from other breeds, and can be very difficult. The puppy is biting her, so she tries everything she knows to correct it, including hitting it and a shocker collar. Puppy still bites, so she takes it to the vet at 13 weeks because it's vicious. Vet spays it to make it less vicious, but there is no change - still bites. More hitting, shocker collar, etc. At 9 months she calls a trainer to come to her house and give multiple training sessions. She doesn't seem to get what the trainer is telling her to do. At 10 months the trainer talks her into giving up the dog. My GF gets a call from the trainer - the owner has your name and is expecting a call from you. If you don't take the puppy, it's going to be out down.

Long story short, he was vicious, extremely afraid of people and other dogs, with a host of behavioral problems. He couldn't be in public at all.

I don't blame the woman who bought him - it turns out she has psychological problems (although you wouldn't know it when you first met her). She shouldn't have a dog at all, but everyone tells her a dog would be wonderful for her. She tried to do the right things contacting her vet and a trainer. Well meaning woman, but terrible outcome.

We just had a bunch of dogs a few towns over taken from a mentally ill woman's house to a shelter. Too bad the dogs suffered neglect from the owner's mental illness. Old people going to nursing homes, mentally ill people, I don't blame these. There are plenty of people who know better and do it any way - these are the ones that p*ss me off.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
Pro

Rex, to some extent I agree with what you are saying. That is why I mentioned I might consider studding him out.

Btw, I did expect this might come up, and I do have reservations about what I posted.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
Future Post Deleter...

Trade: Nothing
Rewards Points: 1,092

Hillbillies around here think its cool to breed their dogs. Drive past houses all the time that have signs posted for puppies. Once the cute wears off most people don't want to adopt. It's sad.

I have spent lots of time at a doberman rescue, the local humane society which I still volunteer at and the local animal control. People are irresponsible about pet ownership and it really irritates me when you see dogs being put down cause there is not enough homes for them.

Pisses me off even more when you see free kitten signs, yea OK, I understand barn cats feral cats. If you're responsible you'll trap them get them fixed and released. The local shelter will fix feral cats for free. I have feral cats that roam here, but they have all been live trapped, fixed and released.

I just think back yard breeding is dumb and only puts helpless animals in danger. Due to ignorance from humans.

Obviously male dogs don't give birth. They hump and dump, I know how that goes

Last edited by rex; 10-03-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Pro

As an aside, if I could find one like this one at the shelter, and I was younger, and.......who knows?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
Pro

My daughter worked for a vet here locally before moving to a nearby town to take a teaching position. The vet still has one of my live traps to catch feral cats in that some lady had moved, died, or something and lft in the neighborhood dwon town near the office. They have caught several, neutered/spayed and released.

The same vet would be doing the snipping I would think at no charge.

This dog's markings and color just really catches my eye. It is almost like an artist painted the colors on him, clean, sharp contrasting colors rather evenly matched from one side to the other not just thrown on him at random.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #17
Pro

Boman, your daughter definitely has some wild looking dogs! There's a lot to breeding, and I think anyone who takes the time to learn it and provides good homes is doing good for the dog world.

Rex, I understand you buy into the HSUS line. I know show breeders, backyard breeders, hillbilly breeders (the "cash crop" kind), etc. as well as several breed rescue groups (but not dobies). The only group that can be pointed to that does an excellent job with breeding and socializing puppies are the ones bred and supplied for medical research. For all other categories I can point to breeders who are using stock with various problems, don't adequately socialize, etc, etc.

The two things I would never do is get a dog through a shelter or any of the 501 C3 rescue organizations and I'd never snip one before 2 years, and only then if it has some genetic problem, etc. Spaying and neutering causes problems for the dogs and their owners.

Boman, your daughter is lucky to have those dogs, and I'm sure they're lucky to have her

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
boman47k (10-05-2012)