Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum

Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum (https://www.contractortalk.com/forum.php)
-   Off Topic (Non Trade) (https://www.contractortalk.com/f22/)
-   -   Ask the group questions you have about construction. (https://www.contractortalk.com/f22/ask-group-questions-you-have-about-construction-411171/)

Easy Gibson 09-11-2018 07:58 AM

Ask the group questions you have about construction.
 
Catch all thread for asking and answering construction questions. Bonus points if you think of them during the workday, like I just did with this one...

- If you are operating a construction business in a country that provides universal healthcare, do you still have to purchase Workman's Compensation insurance, or does the national healthcare just cover all injuries no matter where they occurred?



Here's another question I just thought of, also while filling out my audit.

- If you are a house flipper, do you have to incorporate/LLC/whatever and carry WC, or are you simply a homeowner hiring contractors who carry their own policies to perform work on your home?
How's that work with business setups? Is the only profit you make as a flipper the profit from the sale of the house?

Inner10 09-11-2018 08:17 AM

You need WC here even though we have health care.

If you don't physically do construction here you don't need WC. Otherwise it's mandatory. When WC was made mandatory in construction in Ontario I called them up and got really flakey answers. So I'm no expert, I just pay the bastards.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Easy Gibson 09-11-2018 08:25 AM

Does Canada also have a horrendously litigious society?

tjbnwi 09-11-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Gibson (Post 7357281)
Does Canada also have a horrendously litigious society?

Not a construction question....


Tom

Easy Gibson 09-11-2018 10:18 AM

True. True.


Where are my house flippers at though? I want to know how your business is structured. Do you have to be Joe Blow LLC or can you, Joe Blow, simply buy a house and improve it, then sell it and file taxes only on the income from the sale of the house?


Here's another pertinent question: Now that my summer help is gone and I've successfully booked solo painting work into January, what's the over/under on my sanity holding out? Will I make it to Thanksgiving? Will I be a shell of a man before Halloween?
I know I shouldn't be complaining about running a successful business, but I wasn't even trying to start a painting business. How often does that even happen? Guy tries to open a restaurant and ends up doing hair?

Idothat 09-11-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Gibson (Post 7357373)
True. True.


Where are my house flippers at though? I want to know how your business is structured. Do you have to be Joe Blow LLC or can you, Joe Blow, simply buy a house and improve it, then sell it and file taxes only on the income from the sale of the house?


Here's another pertinent question: Now that my summer help is gone and I've successfully booked solo painting work into January, what's the over/under on my sanity holding out? Will I make it to Thanksgiving? Will I be a shell of a man before Halloween?
I know I shouldn't be complaining about running a successful business, but I wasn't even trying to start a painting business. How often does that even happen? Guy tries to open a restaurant and ends up doing hair?

From what Iíve been reading here ,good and , conscientious painters are very rare these days . It looks like youíve filled a void in your area

Easy Gibson 09-11-2018 11:19 AM

I definitely feel like I am in a void. A bottomless void where all my clothes are slowly, one by one, converted into work shirts and my freezer becomes less full of food, and more full of paint brushes that I am too lazy to wash at the end of the week.

Idothat 09-11-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Gibson (Post 7357407)
I definitely feel like I am in a void. A bottomless void where all my clothes are slowly, one by one, converted into work shirts and my freezer becomes less full of food, and more full of paint brushes that I am too lazy to wash at the end of the week.

I feel you on the clothes thing

I have to keep a few shirts and jeans , new in the plastic or they will inevitably have paint or glue or caulk on them

Easy Gibson 09-11-2018 01:27 PM

Most hilarious/truly awful thing that ever happened to me in that regard was I had somewhere to be after wrapping up a job. It was one of those things where I was completely down to the wire and was just short of throwing everything in the truck just to get out of there. I had my after work clothes folded in the truck, but the truck got real full, real quick, so I put them up on the top of the racks, intending to transfer them to the front seat in a second, which I obviously forgot about half a second later.

Booked it out of the parking lot and of course, the first left turn I took, my black pants and blue shirt flew off the top of the racks DIRECTLY into the roller pan, which I had left uncovered.
Brand ****ing new black pants. Never worn.
Something exactly like this or similar happens with pretty much every pair of pants or shoes I own.

Inner10 09-11-2018 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Gibson (Post 7357281)
Does Canada also have a horrendously litigious society?

Not like the US, but it's more litigious that I'd like it...I think it's getting worse. You don't see lawyers on billboards like you guys have on every block...just a few here and there. :laughing:

Leo G 09-12-2018 12:37 AM

What do I do with all the nails that point in the wrong direction?

mrcat 09-12-2018 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo G (Post 7358075)
What do I do with all the nails that point in the wrong direction?

Duh, those are for the other side of the house.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Idothat 09-12-2018 04:50 AM

You tell him moe

SmallTownGuy 09-12-2018 04:56 AM

Oh, wise guy, eh ?

Idothat 09-12-2018 04:57 AM

Nuuk Nuuk nyuk

SmallTownGuy 09-12-2018 05:02 AM

I have a noisy toilet. None of the other units where my condo is are noisy.

So, should I use B Moore, or S/W when I repaint ?

Idothat 09-12-2018 05:05 AM

That depends on if you have shims or epoxy on your staircase

Big Johnson 09-12-2018 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Gibson (Post 7357373)


Where are my house flippers at though? I want to know how your business is structured. Do you have to be Joe Blow LLC or can you, Joe Blow, simply buy a house and improve it, then sell it and file taxes only on the income from the sale of the house?


never mind, I guess this is a joke or something

Easy Gibson 09-12-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Johnson (Post 7358135)
never mind, I guess this is a joke or something

Not at all. That's a completely serious question.

Just wondering if it was legal to just be a guy acting as a homeowner hiring contractors, or if it was more beneficial to you to be an LLC or INC acting as a GC hiring subcontractors.

Mordekyle 09-12-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Gibson (Post 7358311)
Not at all. That's a completely serious question.



Just wondering if it was legal to just be a guy acting as a homeowner hiring contractors, or if it was more beneficial to you to be an LLC or INC acting as a GC hiring subcontractors.



A homeowner can contract with anyone he wants- framers, roofers, sparkles, etc.

Same HO doesnít need a license, insurance, or continuing ed.

Iím guessing that most flippers start this way, using anyone they can afford, with dreams of financial independence.

If they do it more than once and have half a brain, they would incorporate to protect their assets from harm.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.