American Guns - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

American Guns

Old 12-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 655

American Guns

Why do you Americans feel so strongly about owning guns in the Light of recent events?
I was listening to a debate on the radio today and the American was all for everybody having the right to have a gun and said its for protection

We dont have guns in the uk and dont need them for protection because n one else has them, the statistics say it all with the amount of shootings you have. they put you in more danger than protect you.

I understand alot of you shoot as a hobby but there are other hobbies or you could have regulated gun clubs
Is it really safe to have guns knocking about everywhere?

The Following User Says Thank You to carpenter uk For This Useful Post:
Acres (12-19-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Building and remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,738

Re: American Guns

[IMG][/IMG]

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattsk8 For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (12-18-2012), OKMrazor (12-19-2012), TBFGhost (12-21-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

Americans tend to be deeply suspicious of the government. Some people think gun rights are a hedge against government tyranny. Some of these people think that guns have been restricted too much already and that we should be allowed to have tanks, rocket launchers, etc.

Others see gun rights as a simple matter of personal liberty. We're a fiercely independent bunch. Sometimes this is really good, other times it can be pretty bad.

Others see it as ordained by the founders that we should all be allowed to have guns because of the second amendment, though there's a lot of debate among constitutional scholars about what the second amendment actually is saying. It's not a very well-written piece of our constitution.

Lastly, there are many who believe that more guns is the answer - not less. They believe that if the kids and teachers in the school were armed, the psycho who went on the shooting spree would have only killed one or two people before a kid or teacher took him down.

This is merely a summary of the most prevalent positions I've come to find in talking with people on the subject. I'm not casting any judgement on any of them.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to aptpupil For This Useful Post:
BCConstruction (12-18-2012), BlueRidgeGreen (12-18-2012), Brutus (12-18-2012), ChimneyHill (12-20-2012), chris klee (12-20-2012), concretemasonry (12-19-2012), DavidC (12-18-2012), dayexco (12-18-2012), Dirtywhiteboy (12-23-2012), Dmitry (12-18-2012), hdavis (12-18-2012), J L (12-18-2012), kevjob (12-18-2012), mattsk8 (12-18-2012), moorewarner (12-19-2012), pinwheel (12-18-2012), SAW.co (12-19-2012), SC sawdaddy (12-19-2012), siberian (12-31-2012), SmallTownGuy (12-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Building and remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptpupil View Post
Americans tend to be deeply suspicious of the government. Some people think gun rights are a hedge against government tyranny. Some of these people think that guns have been restricted too much already and that we should be allowed to have tanks, rocket launchers, etc.

Others see gun rights as a simple matter of personal liberty. We're a fiercely independent bunch. Sometimes this is really good, other times it can be pretty bad.

Others see it as ordained by the founders that we should all be allowed to have guns because of the second amendment, though there's a lot of debate among constitutional scholars about what the second amendment actually is saying. It's not a very well-written piece of our constitution.

Lastly, there are many who believe that more guns is the answer - not less. They believe that if the kids and teachers in the school were armed, the psycho who went on the shooting spree would have only killed one or two people before a kid or teacher took him down.

This is merely a summary of the most prevalent positions I've come to find in talking with people on the subject. I'm not casting any judgement on any of them.
Well put
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattsk8 For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (12-18-2012), concretemasonry (12-19-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter uk View Post
Why do you Americans feel so strongly about owning guns in the Light of recent events?
I was listening to a debate on the radio today and the American was all for everybody having the right to have a gun and said its for protection

We dont have guns in the uk and dont need them for protection because n one else has them, the statistics say it all with the amount of shootings you have. they put you in more danger than protect you.

I understand alot of you shoot as a hobby but there arei other hobbies or you could have regulated gun clubs
Is it really safe to have guns knocking about everywhere?
I think it has something to do wth how we became a country. You tend to not be a sheeple after that.

We are a different breed of people here. Some Folks don't like that, but it is true. I can understand why other countries don't get it, but I don't understand why some countries still worship Kings and Queens either.

I am sure that there are more than a few people, living and dead who wish they had been armed in places like Darfur, Congo, revolutionary Russia, Poland, South Africa, pre war Germany, etc.

It keeps the good guys honest and the bad guys scared. If my house is possibly armed and yours is known to not be, who sleeps better at night. There is a reason the Colorado shooter picked that movie theater.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

my question regarding the gun crazy nation is of all the shootings taking place. how many of these weapons are registered.. you can pretty much guarentee all the gang related shootings are with unregistered guns....

on the radio they were saying eliminate the ability to buy automatic and high power guns completely when it comes to purchasing them.. they should also make it a law that you must have to buy a safe or locking cabinet to keep them in otherwise no sale... high power weapons should be left in the hands of those who need them. the military and swat teams.. peace officers own personal weapons even though they have a badge they should be kept to the same rules as everyone else
Old 12-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Superior Firepower

Trade: GC HVAC/R Lic. since 1985
Rewards Points: 3,880

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
There is a reason the Colorado shooter picked that movie theater.
The other 2 theaters he was considering had CCW rights. The Aurora theater did not.
The Following User Says Thank You to skyhook For This Useful Post:
VinylHanger (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Nail-Bender

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,020

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brutus For This Useful Post:
Acres (12-19-2012), Bone Saw (12-18-2012), DavidC (12-18-2012), mattsk8 (12-18-2012), SC sawdaddy (12-19-2012), Tom Struble (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 655

Your probably in a position where there is too many guns in the country now to change the law as its only the honest people that would hand them in and it would take generations to clear the bulk of the rest meaning only the criminals would have them.

Theory's of having them are all well and good but the statistics speak for themselves More guns in circulation = more gun crime

Dont get me wrong we have shootings in the uk and some areas a rife with guns but i feel safe without one where as if i knew most others had them i would not and probably get one myself to go with my paslodes

Old 12-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 3,932

I heard that there was a shooting in an Oregon movie theater... The shooter was taken down by an off duty cop with his weapon 1 shot.

For you liberals who won remove my ability to own a firearm let's start with California and Chicago first.... Remove all the weapons ( hint legal ones)

Post signs all over your states no weapons allowed.... Will wait about 6 months and let's see how you guys are doing with that idea.
skcolo (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptpupil View Post

Good luck to all that think they could defeat our goverment with their little weapons caches.

Last I checked our goverment has jets,tanks,missiles etc.....Any of you antigoverment guys have that kind of fire power?
The Following User Says Thank You to jackrafter For This Useful Post:
boman47k (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
Holder of hands

Trade: Custom builder/remodeler
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrafter View Post
Good luck to all that think they could defeat our goverment with their little weapons caches.

Last I checked our goverment has jets,tanks,missiles etc.....Any of you antigoverment guys have that kind of fire power?
Yeah, we have all that high tech stuff in Afghanistan too and the rebels have whatever little peashooters that they can round up. yet we have been there 10 years and aren't winning.

Yes, I think these citizens here could defeat the government if we had too.

Hopefully we will never have to find out.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to skcolo For This Useful Post:
dayexco (12-18-2012), PA woodbutcher (12-20-2012), pinwheel (12-18-2012), Rob1954 (12-19-2012), tgeb (12-18-2012), WarriorWithWood (12-23-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

Your average Afghan knows how to wage war...your average American...well they may be better at war video games
boman47k (12-18-2012), SC sawdaddy (12-19-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 2,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter uk View Post
Your probably in a position where there is too many guns in the country now to change the law as its only the honest people that would hand them in and it would take generations to clear the bulk of the rest meaning only the criminals would have them.

Theory's of having them are all well and good but the statistics speak for themselves More guns in circulation = more gun crime

Dont get me wrong we have shootings in the uk and some areas a rife with guns but i feel safe without one where as if i knew most others had them i would not and probably get one myself to go with my paslodes
I don't where you are getting your misleading info (no doubt msm), but more guns does not mean more gun crime, it's actually just the opposite. Look at our states that have the strictest gun control laws, they also have the most gun crime. Case in point, the recent school shooting was in a gun free zone, didn't stop the nutcase tho cause he was a criminal. Guns don't cause crime people do.

The lastest FBI stats show violent crime is down.

The problem with these recent shootings is the fact that these nutcases are on prescription medication known to cause such behavior.

You poor folks over there are at the mercy of your government, good luck with that. Not to worry tho, your Queen is safe, she has armed guards.
Birch (12-18-2012), DavidC (12-18-2012), Max10 (12-18-2012), VinylHanger (12-18-2012), woodmanlarios53 (12-19-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #15
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrafter View Post

Coincidentally the Syrian army WAS considered to be the best in the region. They also have jets, tanks, missiles, etc. I have no idea where they stood on gun control before their own revolution, now in progress, but our own revolution was undertaken with squirrel guns and such at first.

To me the second amendment is about the citizenry having the ability to defend itself from it's own government if necessary. The more the government wants my guns the more I want to keep them.

Good Luck
Dave
ChimneyHill (12-20-2012), dom-mas (12-21-2012), pinwheel (12-18-2012), Rob1954 (12-19-2012), summithomeinc (12-19-2012), tgeb (12-18-2012), WarriorWithWood (12-23-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Painting

Takes more than noble internet bravo and a few small arms to beat a well armed nation.

Face it, some of these weapons are a thing of the past.

I say this and I am totally against gun control, but hey, reality is reality.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 1,626

The question isn't "why do we have guns"... It's "why do we have so many people who want to kill others". Until that is answered and dealt with, we need to allow law abiding citizens the ability to protect themselves and their families.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fourcornerhome For This Useful Post:
DavidC (12-18-2012), dom-mas (12-21-2012), pinwheel (12-18-2012), SmallTownGuy (12-18-2012), tedanderson (12-22-2012), WarriorWithWood (12-23-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #18
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
Takes more than noble internet bravo and a few small arms to beat a well armed nation.

Face it, some of these weapons are a thing of the past.

I say this and I am totally against gun control, but hey, reality is reality.
As true as that is, I would still sorely regret being on the receiving end of a black powder musket.

Good Luck
Dave
SC sawdaddy (12-19-2012), tedanderson (12-22-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckman22 View Post
Look at our states that have the strictest gun control laws, they also have the most gun crime.
Where do you get this info?
CSM has the following states as have the most strict gun laws in the U.S.:
PA
IL
HI
RI
NY
MD
CT
MA
NJ
CA

Other than MD, every one of those 10 is on the lower half of the gun death rate ranking in the US:
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri...te-per-100-000
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aptpupil For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (12-18-2012), Brutus (12-18-2012), duburban (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 220

i'm not going to look it up, take your word for it...but Illinois isn't on that list? they've had, what? 465 murders so far this year?

i.c....per capita...

Advertisement

Last edited by dayexco; 12-18-2012 at 06:15 PM.