Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems? - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Goin' Down in Flames....
 
Seven-Delta-FortyOne's Avatar
 
Trade: Highwayman
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell
Posts: 3,888
Rewards Points: 2,256

Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


Most hauntingly beautiful poem ever:

Annabel Lee, by Edgar Alan Poe

Link: http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/annabel-lee/


2 more favorites: Thomas Hardy, "The Man He Killed", and "The Phantom Horsewoman".

There is another by Thomas Hardy, heartbreakingly sad, and I can't remember the name. I'm still trying to find it.

Links for the Hardy poems:

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/180712

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173594



Anybody else??




Delta
__________________
Get Off My Lawn.

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
Seven-Delta-FortyOne is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (04-25-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 04-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
Punching above his weight
 
Easy Gibson's Avatar
 
Trade: Gun for hire.
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Best seat at the table
Posts: 7,392
Rewards Points: 12,382

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


I like to read this forum as though it were a group of laborers chatting on lunch break, which makes this thread particularly hilarious to me because I'm the guy that would typically try to ask a bunch of plumbers for their opinions on the works of Emily Dickinson.

Kudos to you for starting this thread.

Jersey Represent

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Advertisement

Easy Gibson is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Easy Gibson For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Boondockian
 
Dustincoc's Avatar
 
Trade: Getting the job done
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canton-Potsdam Area, NY
Posts: 1,478
Rewards Points: 1,018

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


Poetry is most definitely not my thing...
__________________
Quote:
In the words of General James Mattis: "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
Quote:
Captain Howdy: We must all go through a rite of passage, and it must be physical, it must be painful, and it must leave a mark.
Dustincoc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
Pro
 
MTN REMODEL LLC's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodel and new build Colorado @ 7651 FT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,193
Rewards Points: 1,428

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


There was a girl from Nantucket....

-------------------------------
...........................................
..........................................
.........................................






(Road Not Taken/Robert Frost..... plays significant with me)

Best
__________________
Never stop learning (xcep fer speling en typeing)
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MTN REMODEL LLC For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (04-25-2014), dom-mas (04-24-2014), Sabagley (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Goin' Down in Flames....
 
Seven-Delta-FortyOne's Avatar
 
Trade: Highwayman
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell
Posts: 3,888
Rewards Points: 2,256

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


I was going to start a thread about why tradespeople, in general, have to be such lowlifes.

I wear t-shirts when it's hot, but they are colored Carhartt. No writing. I wear button down work shirts when its cold. I use a Moleskin notepad, even for writing a cut list. I try not to cuss in front of clients, I keep my tools and truck as clean as possible, etc......

I'm not saying everyone should be a prissy lord fontleroy, but it would be nice if we could elevate our collective persona just a bit.

Thanks for the props.



At least if the plumbers could cover their asses, and not laugh at someone reading Plato on their lunchbreak.
__________________
Get Off My Lawn.

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
Seven-Delta-FortyOne is online now  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
Jaws (04-25-2014), madrina (04-25-2014), Reg (04-25-2014), rosethornva (04-26-2014), Wood Magician (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
Goin' Down in Flames....
 
Seven-Delta-FortyOne's Avatar
 
Trade: Highwayman
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell
Posts: 3,888
Rewards Points: 2,256

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustincoc View Post
Poetry is most definitely not my thing...
Click on the first link in the first post. Might change your mind.
__________________
Get Off My Lawn.

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
Seven-Delta-FortyOne is online now  
Old 04-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
.....
 
Frank Castle's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,629
Rewards Points: 924

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


“The clock of life is wound but once,
And no man has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop
At late or early hour.

To lose one's wealth is sad indeed,
To lose one's health is more,
To lose one's soul is such a loss
That no man can restore.

The present only is our own,
So live, love, toil with a will,
Place no faith in "Tomorrow,"
For the Clock may then be still.”

― Robert H. Smith
__________________
Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.
Frank Castle is online now  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frank Castle For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (04-25-2014), dom-mas (04-25-2014), madrina (04-25-2014), MTN REMODEL LLC (04-24-2014), Sabagley (04-24-2014), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (04-24-2014), tgeb (04-25-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
Boondockian
 
Dustincoc's Avatar
 
Trade: Getting the job done
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canton-Potsdam Area, NY
Posts: 1,478
Rewards Points: 1,018

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
Click on the first link in the first post. Might change your mind.
Nope, didn't change my mind...
__________________
Quote:
In the words of General James Mattis: "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
Quote:
Captain Howdy: We must all go through a rite of passage, and it must be physical, it must be painful, and it must leave a mark.
Dustincoc is offline  
Old 04-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
Pro
 
rselectric1's Avatar
 
Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 11,790
Rewards Points: 898

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


I've tried over the years to understand and try to get an appreciation for poetry to no avail. Perhaps I'm too stupid to get properly inspired.

I read all the links you provided but it does absolutely nothing for me. Sorry.

Classical music is another thing altogether. (Beethoven, Bach, etc. are inspiring works)

I've also read all the books of Poe and others with great enjoyment once I got the vernacular since it takes a chapter or so to adapt and get into the story.

A person with a fine arts degree doesn't necessarily make one smarter or more refined. I come from a family of musicians and professors in the arts, and can only appreciate what I truly like. Poetry completely escapes me for some reason. It wasn't for a lack of trying to get it though.
__________________
220...221...whatever it takes!

Last edited by rselectric1; 04-24-2014 at 09:34 PM.
rselectric1 is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rselectric1 For This Useful Post:
Dustincoc (04-24-2014), MTN REMODEL LLC (04-24-2014), Reg (04-25-2014), rosethornva (04-26-2014), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
Punching above his weight
 
Easy Gibson's Avatar
 
Trade: Gun for hire.
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Best seat at the table
Posts: 7,392
Rewards Points: 12,382

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
I was going to start a thread about why tradespeople, in general, have to be such lowlifes.

I wear t-shirts when it's hot, but they are colored Carhartt. No writing. I wear button down work shirts when its cold. I use a Moleskin notepad, even for writing a cut list. I try not to cuss in front of clients, I keep my tools and truck as clean as possible, etc......

I'm not saying everyone should be a prissy lord fontleroy, but it would be nice if we could elevate our collective persona just a bit.

Thanks for the props.



At least if the plumbers could cover their asses, and not laugh at someone reading Plato on their lunchbreak.
Moleskine club!

Definitely start that thread though. It's a good topic. Sometimes I catch myself in full "contractor" mode and get horrified with my appearance.
Easy Gibson is offline  
Old 04-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #11
Member
 
larry228's Avatar
 
Trade: residential remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 71
Rewards Points: 6

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


Perhaps an appreciation of poetry is all in the way that it is presented.

Some time ago, a local radio station sponsored a poetry contest. The spokesman announcing the contest said "I can hear you now saying, 'but I can't write poetry!'. But you can, just remember, poetry is like Rap except you substitute flowers and butterflies instead of bi tches and hoes"
larry228 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to larry228 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #12
Pro
 
MTN REMODEL LLC's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodel and new build Colorado @ 7651 FT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,193
Rewards Points: 1,428

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rselectric1 View Post
I've tried over the years to understand and try to get an appreciation for poetry to no avail. Perhaps I'm too stupid to get properly inspired.

I read all the links you provided but it does absolutely nothing for me. Sorry.

Classical music is another thing altogether. (Beethoven, Bach, etc. are inspiring works)

I've also read all the books of Poe and others with great enjoyment once I got the vernacular since it takes a chapter or so to adapt and get into the story.

A person with a fine arts degree doesn't necessarily make one smarter or more refined. I come from a family of musicians and professors in the arts, and can only appreciate what I truly like. Poetry completely escapes me for some reason. It wasn't for a lack of trying to get it though.
RS.... Good honest thought.... Guess I do not connect/comprehend with the visual arts..... WISH I DID.
__________________
Never stop learning (xcep fer speling en typeing)
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline  
Old 04-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #13
The Sheriff

 
Jaws's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23,361
Rewards Points: 5,098

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


The oddesey and the illiad. Manly poems.
__________________
"The sound of the saftey clicking off is the only warning your gonna get......., so cover your ears" Northeast Wyoming 2016

John
Jaws is online now  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (04-25-2014), dom-mas (04-24-2014), PrecisionFloors (04-25-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #14
Pro
 
MTN REMODEL LLC's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodel and new build Colorado @ 7651 FT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,193
Rewards Points: 1,428

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


Quote:
Originally Posted by larry228 View Post
Perhaps an appreciation of poetry is all in the way that it is presented.

Some time ago, a local radio station sponsored a poetry contest. The spokesman announcing the contest said "I can hear you now saying, 'but I can't write poetry!'. But you can, just remember, poetry is like Rap except you substitute flowers and butterflies instead of bi tches and hoes"
Jesus Larry..... I think/fear you are right.... significant difference in quality and substance.... but I think you are right.

Best
__________________
Never stop learning (xcep fer speling en typeing)
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline  
Old 04-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #15
The Sheriff

 
Jaws's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23,361
Rewards Points: 5,098

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
Most hauntingly beautiful poem ever:

Annabel Lee, by Edgar Alan Poe

Link: http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/annabel-lee/


2 more favorites: Thomas Hardy, "The Man He Killed", and "The Phantom Horsewoman".

There is another by Thomas Hardy, heartbreakingly sad, and I can't remember the name. I'm still trying to find it.

Links for the Hardy poems:

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/180712

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173594



Anybody else??




Delta
That first poem was bad ass.

I write my cut lists on scrap studs.
__________________
"The sound of the saftey clicking off is the only warning your gonna get......., so cover your ears" Northeast Wyoming 2016

John
Jaws is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
donerightwyo (04-24-2014), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #16
.
 
Sabagley's Avatar
 
Trade: General contractor
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wa. State
Posts: 632
Rewards Points: 880

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


Why worry?



Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?-image-1121663129.jpg



The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.....
__________________
Bills and behavior always come due.
Sabagley is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sabagley For This Useful Post:
Jaws (04-24-2014), jaydee (04-26-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #17
Pro
 
rselectric1's Avatar
 
Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 11,790
Rewards Points: 898

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
RS.... Good honest thought.... Guess I do not connect/comprehend with the visual arts..... WISH I DID.
I'm still trying since I just reread all 3 of the links you provided again in complete silence and took in every word with the meaning collectively stored in the back of my head.

It must be in the genetics eh?

Some people "get it and appreciate it" and some don't I guess. I wish I did.

(I'm the black sheep in the family and only have an associates degree and am the first and only in generations that decided to go blue collar since I feel the people are better in general and less flaky with this "color of collar" in most cases) Just my opinion.
__________________
220...221...whatever it takes!
rselectric1 is offline  
Old 04-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #18
Goin' Down in Flames....
 
Seven-Delta-FortyOne's Avatar
 
Trade: Highwayman
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell
Posts: 3,888
Rewards Points: 2,256

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I write my cut lists on scrap studs.
I do it too from time to time. Nothing wrong with it. I guess it's more of a metaphor for something that bothers me alot.







Delta
__________________
Get Off My Lawn.

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
Seven-Delta-FortyOne is online now  
Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #19
The Sheriff

 
Jaws's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23,361
Rewards Points: 5,098

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
I do it too from time to time. Nothing wrong with it. I guess it's more of a metaphor for something that bothers me alot.







Delta
What bothers you about it?
__________________
"The sound of the saftey clicking off is the only warning your gonna get......., so cover your ears" Northeast Wyoming 2016

John
Jaws is online now  
Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #20
Pro
 
dom-mas's Avatar
 
Trade: masonry
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,133
Rewards Points: 626

Re: Alright; Anybody Want To Do Favorite Poems?


I like Robert Service. the cremation of Sam Mc Gee is a good one. I also like the Highway men and The Jaberwak (not Service but good poems). Oh and edgar Allan poe reminded me of The Raven, i had a book that was illustrated by Gustav Dore...KILLER. Another that Dore illustrated that was a good poem was the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner...Don't know if I'd like either as well without the illustration

personally i can't read a word that Thomas Hardy ever wrote

Advertisement

__________________
New & restoration masonry construction
www.dominionmasonry.ca

Last edited by dom-mas; 04-24-2014 at 10:06 PM.
dom-mas is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dom-mas For This Useful Post:
maninthesea (04-25-2014)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is your favorite brick & why? fjn Masonry 43 09-09-2013 12:14 PM
New to the forum -- what's your favorite kind of donut? ABOScott New Member Introductions 24 03-01-2013 04:22 PM
What is your favorite piece of equipment? A. Spruce Excavation & Site Work 14 01-10-2011 11:48 PM
What's your favorite faucets, etc. HWCostruction Plumbing 6 02-19-2009 07:45 AM
Hot sauce, what is you favorite Bkessler Off Topic (Non Trade) 29 10-01-2008 09:46 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?