12th Annual Disabled Deer Hunt Is A Wrap - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

12th Annual Disabled Deer Hunt Is A Wrap

Old 12-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 500

12th Annual Disabled Deer Hunt Is A Wrap

This weekend, I got to hang out again with the man who first inspired the disabled hunt we host on our farm. I asked him if he remembered when we actually started this hunt. 2007 was the first hunt, he remembered because Obama was elected in 2008. He's very conservative, so I trust his memory on this.

My motto when we run this hunt is "sleep is over rated" & we held true to that again this weekend. One of my most important jobs for the weekend is making sure our disabled friends are awake (most of them stay in our home) & to make sure their needs are met before going to sleep. Some of these guys have to get up 2 hours earlier than everyone else & it takes them at least an hour longer than the rest of us, to be in bed. I averaged about 4 hours sleep 3 nights in a row & on Monday, I didn't even get dressed. We were totally spent physically.

We ended up with 12 hunters this year. 4 disabled vets, 3 disabled youth, 1 able bodied youth & 4 other hunters in need of assistance to hunt. We had approx 30 volunteers from all over the state. We had 10 different landowners open their farms to our hunt, giving us several thousand acres of private ground access. Several of the landowners are my clients who want to give back, the rest are friends & neighbors.

The weekend was a myriad of problems that needed solved & I was the lead problem solver on several of them. Our weather was terrible. We had 6" of drifted snow on the ground last week, but it had started to melt leading into the weekend, so the ground was saturated. Friday night brought warming temps & rain, so not only was it already wet the added rain just added insult to injury. The weekend was s sloppy mud mess. Friday night, I got the first problem to solve. One of our most physically limited gentlemen & his wife missed a turn on their way to our home. Handicap modified minivan with lowered floor 4 miles down a dead end field access road in the dark & I don't know exactly where they are. Thankfully my wife pays attention to road names & we were able to locate them & get them unstuck, turned around & finally to the house.

Another of our hunters, turned the wheels too quick & dropped the front end of his truck off the end of one of my driveways & got the front end of his truck hung up on the 15" culvert. Two 4 wheel drive trucks couldn't pull him out, had to get out the tractor. Bent the culvert to 90 degrees.

These are 2 of the biggies, but there were plenty of other solutions that needed to be found. Not once, did I hesitate to grab the closest man & ask for assistance or delegate him to assist. Because I didn't have a doubt they would do whatever was necessary to solve the problem. We had the most solid group of volunteers we've ever had.

I hope you've got access to facebook, because that's where all the pictures & stories are shared. Very very rewarding weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/missouridis...670928?__xts__[0]=68.ARBQFepwV3_zX-euzTpfVOel3rn69JZRVIt2eV0hkh1-gQm8imFPswXv_S28hjSdlr3rkM5pLfiwQxepKq5_b8hrkdkVsF GhW2nAtTVuT5Xy_2qwAXQBk0XOmAgj2PmrUSMuCug1s50teHmH f5qkpAJuH_PzJFpqIqAPare_aRvXwxKHR_1QBikMs3VLyTGYn3 iRyvxNbs2xvR8VJTyfRjtCPVdAd1IwPzCeAsGSoDdT2_QP-1YXOgoYVwUGayAVGtp76DmZ-ylN_57JTQsvG6RwR1L-2NGkjyE0wzI9Eunce-0-rV2M9LxLos7x3C2FvOA7PMfAijbuFETdqxpK&__tn__=C-R

https://www.facebook.com/moconservat...297962?__xts__[0]=68.ARALBYHEgFPC_RQaCMLD5pWPIhdVUCE1Ti-7ovlrD0vOd-0QstFJDy1HkefqAy_y20i3e52SHL6KImRIA7TmS8U9SN8l-KtpqdXvZvclU3HW9HPmQ-AGpf6vIaFSzaWpDbVwxZwbk5s8WIzT8u2GdTHX2LTdUCZo9UXE 32tQGUYQwiMbozMa3TW13iGwXiyz5K9Auyvt5dM5n9_TmMrmU0 rLx54_f15_KOR-NFpNWDMdJQS7LGTbnaZrVnB6WaOjJkZv-CZwmc7-hRszspmblzLIeeJnzRBLLjJMX4IHVbi_AaI3cv3fQfHeJ-K7ZPkIls5Ic2yAnmp1zlA&__tn__=C-R
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
cedarboarder (12-06-2018), Deckhead (12-05-2018), deckman22 (12-05-2018), goneelkn (12-05-2018), greg24k (12-06-2018), griz (12-05-2018), Idothat (12-05-2018), KAP (12-05-2018), MarkJames (12-06-2018), Mordekyle (12-06-2018), Robie (12-05-2018), spazman (12-05-2018), tgeb (12-05-2018), Tinstaafl (12-05-2018), TxElectrician (12-05-2018), XJCraver (12-05-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (12-05-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 12,896

Re: 12th Annual Disabled Deer Hunt Is A Wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
This weekend, I got to hang out again with the man who first inspired the disabled hunt we host on our farm. I asked him if he remembered when we actually started this hunt. 2007 was the first hunt, he remembered because Obama was elected in 2008. He's very conservative, so I trust his memory on this.

My motto when we run this hunt is "sleep is over rated" & we held true to that again this weekend. One of my most important jobs for the weekend is making sure our disabled friends are awake (most of them stay in our home) & to make sure their needs are met before going to sleep. Some of these guys have to get up 2 hours earlier than everyone else & it takes them at least an hour longer than the rest of us, to be in bed. I averaged about 4 hours sleep 3 nights in a row & on Monday, I didn't even get dressed. We were totally spent physically.

We ended up with 12 hunters this year. 4 disabled vets, 3 disabled youth, 1 able bodied youth & 4 other hunters in need of assistance to hunt. We had approx 30 volunteers from all over the state. We had 10 different landowners open their farms to our hunt, giving us several thousand acres of private ground access. Several of the landowners are my clients who want to give back, the rest are friends & neighbors.

The weekend was a myriad of problems that needed solved & I was the lead problem solver on several of them. Our weather was terrible. We had 6" of drifted snow on the ground last week, but it had started to melt leading into the weekend, so the ground was saturated. Friday night brought warming temps & rain, so not only was it already wet the added rain just added insult to injury. The weekend was s sloppy mud mess. Friday night, I got the first problem to solve. One of our most physically limited gentlemen & his wife missed a turn on their way to our home. Handicap modified minivan with lowered floor 4 miles down a dead end field access road in the dark & I don't know exactly where they are. Thankfully my wife pays attention to road names & we were able to locate them & get them unstuck, turned around & finally to the house.

Another of our hunters, turned the wheels too quick & dropped the front end of his truck off the end of one of my driveways & got the front end of his truck hung up on the 15" culvert. Two 4 wheel drive trucks couldn't pull him out, had to get out the tractor. Bent the culvert to 90 degrees.

These are 2 of the biggies, but there were plenty of other solutions that needed to be found. Not once, did I hesitate to grab the closest man & ask for assistance or delegate him to assist. Because I didn't have a doubt they would do whatever was necessary to solve the problem. We had the most solid group of volunteers we've ever had.

I hope you've got access to facebook, because that's where all the pictures & stories are shared. Very very rewarding weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/missouridis...670928?__xts__[0]=68.ARBQFepwV3_zX-euzTpfVOel3rn69JZRVIt2eV0hkh1-gQm8imFPswXv_S28hjSdlr3rkM5pLfiwQxepKq5_b8hrkdkVsF GhW2nAtTVuT5Xy_2qwAXQBk0XOmAgj2PmrUSMuCug1s50teHmH f5qkpAJuH_PzJFpqIqAPare_aRvXwxKHR_1QBikMs3VLyTGYn3 iRyvxNbs2xvR8VJTyfRjtCPVdAd1IwPzCeAsGSoDdT2_QP-1YXOgoYVwUGayAVGtp76DmZ-ylN_57JTQsvG6RwR1L-2NGkjyE0wzI9Eunce-0-rV2M9LxLos7x3C2FvOA7PMfAijbuFETdqxpK&__tn__=C-R

https://www.facebook.com/moconservat...297962?__xts__[0]=68.ARALBYHEgFPC_RQaCMLD5pWPIhdVUCE1Ti-7ovlrD0vOd-0QstFJDy1HkefqAy_y20i3e52SHL6KImRIA7TmS8U9SN8l-KtpqdXvZvclU3HW9HPmQ-AGpf6vIaFSzaWpDbVwxZwbk5s8WIzT8u2GdTHX2LTdUCZo9UXE 32tQGUYQwiMbozMa3TW13iGwXiyz5K9Auyvt5dM5n9_TmMrmU0 rLx54_f15_KOR-NFpNWDMdJQS7LGTbnaZrVnB6WaOjJkZv-CZwmc7-hRszspmblzLIeeJnzRBLLjJMX4IHVbi_AaI3cv3fQfHeJ-K7ZPkIls5Ic2yAnmp1zlA&__tn__=C-R
Thanks for sharing, very cool.

Advertisement

You ain't gonna rock and roll no more
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Building Official
Rewards Points: 24

I look forward to reading the post about this every year.

You and your wife, Pinwheel - you're good people. Thank you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to XJCraver For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (12-05-2018), griz (12-05-2018), pinwheel (12-05-2018), Robie (12-05-2018), TxElectrician (12-05-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 01:10 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 1,772

Those track chairs are frigging cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #5
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarboarder View Post
Those track chairs are frigging cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yes they are. An absolute game changer in what we are attempting to do. They're still in my possession, as a few of these guys will be back in a couple weeks to rabbit hunt. It's a lot lower key event, so I'm going to make sure to get some video of these boys in the chairs. I'll share it to show just what these chairs are capable of.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
cedarboarder (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,482

Awesome job, Pin.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (12-06-2018)