$12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....? - Page 9 - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

$12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #161
LRG WoodCrafting
 
Leo G's Avatar
 
Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Posts: 44,075
Rewards Points: 666

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


Yep, a good way to buy votes with other peoples money.
__________________
Sawdust Follows Me Everywhere
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Sanding is the bane of my existence
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Leo G is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (12-06-2013)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 12-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #162
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,797
Rewards Points: 40

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
Agreed... but who is responsible for them making it? Them or the government?

Why shouldn't the government set a "living wage" for everyone and that's what everyone makes no matter their skill set or motivation?

You are kidding, right?

If fast food or restaurants in general have to pay $15 an hour to everyone, then how many customers would no longer be there to eat, because the prices then would be out of their budgets. The idea is fine, in general terms....but, if the government gets in the act, and the markets cannot act, then abject failure will result.

WalMart in point:

Bitch about WM all you want...cry about the businesses they ruined by coming to town..all the mom and pop stores gone.....all the cheap assed crap they sell. Now, step back, and think about the people who buy there because they cannot afford to buy anywhere else. Take WM away, and mom and pop will raise prices and profits, but that will benefit very few, relatively speaking. And mom and pop ain't going to pay a dime more then they have to either.

I understand in North Dakota, WalMart pays store associates like $18an hour....but their store prices are not that much higher then say the WalMart in Fayetteville, Ar. So they basically respond to the market and overall company performance to determine profit....but, if the store in Fargo ND. started losing real money due to the wages they had to pay, they would make an economic decision, paying heed ot the owners of WalMart, the stockholders, and close the non profitable stores.

I read that if restaurants are forced to pay Obama's living wage, or income "equality", it is estimated that eating out would then be a luxury for the top 10% of income earners in America and fully 3/4 of all fast food joints would be gone.
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #163
Pro
 
Oconomowoc's Avatar
 
Trade: construction
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,895
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


It is by design. Plumbing is easy to learn. The "design" part is we as a group limit who can join our club.

Carpenters and roofers have not bonded together to protect the trade.
A carpenter, if they had a license and were a protected group, would make a lot of money. Instead, everybody with a hammer calls themselves a carpenter......and everybody is fine with that.

Doctors, while it is a learned skill, has a massive barrier to entry. They are insulated.
Oconomowoc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #164
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,797
Rewards Points: 40

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


I know a few guys who have been decent plumber's helpers for a long time....can plumb as good some master plumbers......but, they simply cannot get past the test. I would also agree that by design, plumbers have protected their trade in a positive way, it obviously isn't for everyone.
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is online now  
Old 12-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #165
Pro
 
Oconomowoc's Avatar
 
Trade: construction
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,895
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
I know a few guys who have been decent plumber's helpers for a long time....can plumb as good some master plumbers......but, they simply cannot get past the test. I would also agree that by design, plumbers have protected their trade in a positive way, it obviously isn't for everyone.
It's not just plumbers.

Elevator operators? Same thing.
Sprinkler fitters? Same thing.
steam fitters? Same thing.

Carpenters should be licensed and restricted.
Oconomowoc is offline  
Old 12-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #166
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,797
Rewards Points: 40

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconomowoc View Post
It's not just plumbers.

Elevator operators? Same thing.
Sprinkler fitters? Same thing.
steam fitters? Same thing.

Carpenters should be licensed and restricted.
So if a framing carpenter or a trim guy misses a measurement, or gets a wall out of plumb, the world is upside down?

A plumber roughs in a house, and the drain lines don't have the correct fall, or too much, and stuff really goes south, or north...requiring extensive repairs, or even slab tear outs. Saw that once.

Licensed contractors? Sure. Licensed carpenters? Trim guys? How about the carpet installers? Or maybe...just maybe, we don't need any more restrictive nonsense out there in the trades.

I saw you posted about working on your own plane...are you an A&P? Have an IA watching you? Or do you have it in the experimental class to get around the Fed intervention? I have a buddy that absolutely is qualified and experienced enough to be trusted to work on an airplane....but calls an A&P, at least to watch...or is this your point?
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is online now  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #167
Pro
 
Oconomowoc's Avatar
 
Trade: construction
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,895
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


I'm 100% in favor of trade protection.

Airplanes. My current project is experimental, long list of rules on this.

But what I can tell you is that the quality far surpasses certified. My wood wings for example, the 780 - 1/16" thick rib gussets are aircraft grade mahogany. 7 separate operations, measured with dial calipers to be within thousandths of an inch. The A&P's call us nuts and say just cut it and glue it. But to us who build this is our lives in it. It's perfection or nothing.

Most homebuilders are extremely anal about quality.
Oconomowoc is offline  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #168
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,797
Rewards Points: 40

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


And you missed my point. You like what you do, and that is great. I have been an A&P ofr 20+ years and held an IA for many years when I was still active. While I would agree, generally, that most homebuilders are anal...as pilots can be, there are exceptions....so I say lets make it a Federal law that you can't do anything except check the oil and gas, and make it a complete license...2500 or so hours to be legal....how would you like that?

You would not. But...most guys flying homebuilt airplanes are not going to kill anyone except themselves for being dumb.
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is online now  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #169
Pro
 
MTN REMODEL LLC's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodel and new build Colorado @ 7651 FT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,193
Rewards Points: 1,428

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ EDIT:Reference Joasis #166

Licensing is actually an interferance with free markets.... be it plumbers or doctors.... it creates a barrier to entry, and in many cases serves to artificially set "minimum" wages in a "profession".

The AMA can be seen to be a "professional union" that restricts entry and insures better wages for doctor's... at least in the purest economic sense.

But as a society, we have deemed certain employment should be governed to at least certain minimum standards.... generally for safety and public interest/welfare.

But from a purest economic sense, be it unionazation or lisencing, it is an infringement of free markets.
__________________
Never stop learning (xcep fer speling en typeing)

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 12-06-2013 at 11:22 AM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MTN REMODEL LLC For This Useful Post:
Inner10 (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #170
Pro
 
Oconomowoc's Avatar
 
Trade: construction
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,895
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


Here's an example.


.00 beef burger on the horizon....?-forumrunner_20131206_102053.jpg

In the 1940's these were cut on a band saw and the material was sub standard, as well as the adhesives.

The FAA is happy with that. I'm not. None of us are. I'll have 2,000 hours in just my wings. Project was started in 2005.
Oconomowoc is offline  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #171
Pro
 
Oconomowoc's Avatar
 
Trade: construction
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,895
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
And you missed my point. You like what you do, and that is great. I have been an A&P ofr 20+ years and held an IA for many years when I was still active. While I would agree, generally, that most homebuilders are anal...as pilots can be, there are exceptions....so I say lets make it a Federal law that you can't do anything except check the oil and gas, and make it a complete license...2500 or so hours to be legal....how would you like that?

You would not. But...most guys flying homebuilt airplanes are not going to kill anyone except themselves for being dumb.
I'm not getting in to this. To be an A&P is so easy it's not even worth the discussion.
Oconomowoc is offline  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #172
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 26,075
Rewards Points: 5,076

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconomowoc View Post
I'm 100% in favor of trade protection.

Airplanes. My current project is experimental, long list of rules on this.

But what I can tell you is that the quality far surpasses certified. My wood wings for example, the 780 - 1/16" thick rib gussets are aircraft grade mahogany. 7 separate operations, measured with dial calipers to be within thousandths of an inch. The A&P's call us nuts and say just cut it and glue it. But to us who build this is our lives in it. It's perfection or nothing.

Most homebuilders are extremely anal about quality.
Mike pack your bags and go back to leftist land.
Inner10 is offline  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #173
Pro
 
Oconomowoc's Avatar
 
Trade: construction
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,895
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


Why? Do you enjoy homes being hacked up by anybody with a hammer?

I've been in enough homes to see the result of these idiots. Homeowners deserve better.

If that makes me a lefty then so be it. I could care less about those words.

Boy, ever since Nathan left politics is allowed in almost every thread now.
Oconomowoc is offline  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #174
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,797
Rewards Points: 40

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconomowoc View Post
I'm not getting in to this. To be an A&P is so easy it's not even worth the discussion.

Now I know you are full of it.

You must take 600 hours of general instruction at a school, or document the required time...and then 900 hours or airframe, and then 900 of powerplant, complete with documentation and sign offs. All in a part 147 school, or by qualified instruction....and that don't mean your local fuel truck driver, or your military DD214 any longer. That ended a few years back.

And then, after all the paperwork and training has been reviewed, and approved by the GADO, you then get to take the oral and practicals, plus written tests with 300 questions out of a possible 2700.

Yep....easy would only be if you have found a way to circumvent the law pal, and then your ticket ain't worth the laminated plastic covering it.

I hold multiple ratings, including MEII, and AGI, as well, and none of the ratings were as difficult as the A&P. I taught in a 147 school for a few years back in the late '90s, so yeah, I call BS.
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is online now  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #175
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 26,075
Rewards Points: 5,076

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconomowoc View Post
Why? Do you enjoy homes being hacked up by anybody with a hammer?

I've been in enough homes to see the result of these idiots. Homeowners deserve better.

If that makes me a lefty then so be it. I could care less about those words.

Boy, ever since Nathan left politics is allowed in almost every thread now.
No, because it doesn't stop hacks, the more barriers to entry the more hacks there are because the actual price is above the natural level so people seek out hacks that are cheaper.

It's like abortion, if it's illegal more people die because they seek out back alley illegals clinics.
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #176
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 26,075
Rewards Points: 5,076

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


The net result is not consumer protection it's increased wages for the tradesman.
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #177
Pro
 
Joasis's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hennessey, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,797
Rewards Points: 40

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


I have seen so many houses kill people because of crappy carpenters that stay in business that I agree...license and regulate until we kill the trade.

I am beginning to think I know Oconomowoc....you are the plumber that is in our NAHB association that tries to convince us the fire sprinklers are the best thing since sliced bread.....can't be because he will make an extra $6 a sq/ft on new homes if they become law...he is thinking about the kids, right?
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Joasis is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #178
Pro
 
Oconomowoc's Avatar
 
Trade: construction
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,895
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post

Now I know you are full of it.

You must take 600 hours of general instruction at a school, or document the required time...and then 900 hours or airframe, and then 900 of powerplant, complete with documentation and sign offs. All in a part 147 school, or by qualified instruction....and that don't mean your local fuel truck driver, or your military DD214 any longer. That ended a few years back.

And then, after all the paperwork and training has been reviewed, and approved by the GADO, you then get to take the oral and practicals, plus written tests with 300 questions out of a possible 2700.

Yep....easy would only be if you have found a way to circumvent the law pal, and then your ticket ain't worth the laminated plastic covering it.

I hold multiple ratings, including MEII, and AGI, as well, and none of the ratings were as difficult as the A&P. I taught in a 147 school for a few years back in the late '90s, so yeah, I call BS.
People who build experimental airplanes become A&P's all the time, there's all sorts of rules. Everybody I know is an A&P. They are everywhere.

Anyhow, you'll fight me till the end just like the JF discussion, until you are personally upset..... then shut the thread down. That's how you roll.

You should be eliminated as a mod. Why don't you share the PM you sent me with the group? You know, the one where you asked me to make a pubic apology?

I'm done. Drop it.
Oconomowoc is offline  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #179
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 26,075
Rewards Points: 5,076

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconomowoc View Post

People who build experimental airplanes become A&P's all the time, there's all sorts of rules. Everybody I know is an A&P. They are everywhere.

Anyhow, you'll fight me till the end just like the JF discussion, until you are personally upset..... then shut the thread down. That's how you roll.

You should be eliminated as a mod. Why don't you share the PM you sent me with the group? You know, the one where you asked me to make a pubic apology?

I'm done. Drop it.
Kiss the ring Mike.
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #180
Pro
 
Oconomowoc's Avatar
 
Trade: construction
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,895
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: $12.00 Beef Burger On The Horizon....?


I'll be banned? YEEEESSSS!!!!!

I hope it's by Joasis, because I love the irony.

Advertisement

Oconomowoc is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Track saw hits the market. TBFGhost Tools & Equipment 14 01-09-2013 11:24 AM
how many hits are you guys getting? ApgarNJ Technology 73 07-09-2011 11:54 AM
How many hits on your website Tahoe Builder Technology 9 03-11-2010 05:18 PM
Website- Hits to Calls Problems Paulie Websites and SEO 30 02-25-2010 12:48 PM
How many hits per day/week/month do you get on your website? BKFranks Marketing & Sales 22 12-01-2008 01:41 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?