To Those Of You Who Hang Commercial - Wallpaper - Contractor Talk

To Those Of You Who Hang Commercial

Old 09-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,958

To Those Of You Who Hang Commercial

I was asked to look at a commercial repair job, not normally my realm of work but figured replacing a few pieces of paper was straight forward enough. This is in a hotel.
I have stripped out the bad pieces of paper and will be ready to hang the new paper next week. All good. But here are my questions to those who hang commercial paper.

It is random match paper, 54" wide.
The seams have clearly been over lapped and cut as they are not straight, every one. Why not just butt the paper up against each other like with residential paper? I can only assume it is quicker but how do you keep the paper straight?

Next. When I removed the bad pieces of paper it was hung over bare drywall, at least it looked like it and it sanded like it, where I had to make a patch or two.
Do you guys use sizing? They must have as the paper removed easily, so is it a clear sizing? I guess I am stuck in the residential world of wallpaper.

Anyway just trying to get my head around a few things I saw today that's all, no intention of buying a commercial pasting machine just yet.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,748

Re: To Those Of You Who Hang Commercial

Can't help with all since I personally do zero hanging but we use RX-35 as a primer before the paper is installed. It is clear.

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #3

Trade: painting and decorating
Rewards Points: 10

There are clear wallcovering primers, ive found if you don't put it on heavy and really work it in at the mud it'll come off a bit dusty when you run your hand over it. Still works but always leads to questions

Double cutting is the best way to get a good joint on a random match, especially on a large project where the walls might be a bit wonky. If the cuts aren't straight that's just the hangers being lazy, they can get away with it but I usually make a point not to use them again as they'll cut corners elsewhere as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,958

I figured all the seams were double cut, man they are really wavy seams. Wonky walls makes sense to do it that way.