Stucco On Wallpaper... The Best Solution For Residential Buildings. - Wallpaper - Contractor Talk

Stucco On Wallpaper... The Best Solution For Residential Buildings.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #1

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 10

Stucco On Wallpaper... The Best Solution For Residential Buildings.

I dont know if you guys have heard/tried this way but i was amazed when i first saw stucco sprayed on top of wallpaper.
I have a few apartment building contracts. The management wanted to replace the old wallpaper but they were surprised when they found out 30% of the walls had mold. We had to replace the drywall and they did not have the budget to do so.
They were pushing me to find another solution which i knew it would have been short term and a waste of money.
I remembered i had visited another building 2 years ago and they had some type of stucco on their hallway walls. It was actually designed to look like marble colors.
Went back and asked if they could give me the number of the contractor who did it.
I hired him on the spot.
He would use normal stucco spraying machine rented from home depot and mix the powder with paint not water. Three colors would do the trick. You could use flat oil or Semigloss oil.
He didnt ever remove the wallpaper. I was a master in spraying though.
Walls can not be scratched or marked anymore, it looks uniform and very cost and time effective.

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 890

Re: Stucco On Wallpaper... The Best Solution For Residential Buildings.

its past my bed time good night ayall.

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #3

Trade: General Carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

Encapsulating mold forcing it to grow farther back behind the walls in an apartment building where tenants, entitled to a safe environment, are led to believe that all is well. There is no sign of mold until it gets sucked up into an HVAC return and deposited in the apartment of a tenant with a severe allergy to mold spores. Very cost and time effective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareRenovations View Post
Encapsulating mold forcing it to grow farther back behind the walls in an apartment building where tenants, entitled to a safe environment, are led to believe that all is well. There is no sign of mold until it gets sucked up into an HVAC return and deposited in the apartment of a tenant with a severe allergy to mold spores. Very cost and time effective.
Yep. The office knows about it. I have no liability issues in this case. Walls are drywall covered by wallpaper. Hard to tell where mold is growing, unless you remove the wallpaper.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 7,510

Stucco on wallpaper? Sounds like a hack job to me.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy View Post
Stucco on wallpaper? Sounds like a hack job to me.
Health wise Drywall is not a good solution either but industry promotes it because of low cost. In my opinion stucco is a good solution on damaged surfaces that will require more money to be replaces with drywall.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,018

Nothing that just covers mold instead of properly removing it is a good solution.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 7,510

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulona View Post
Health wise Drywall is not a good solution either but industry promotes it because of low cost. In my opinion stucco is a good solution on damaged surfaces that will require more money to be replaces with drywall.
IMO most hack jobs are borne out of not having enough money to do something right.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

Boy the right thing to do is let people know, How any trades person could lower themselfs says a lot of what type of person they are
I would post in Facebook or some Public Forum and name the Apartments I would call Health Dept, A Contractor or tradesmen who can just cover up Mold and be fine with it says we have some who don't need to be working in the Trades
Old 07-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: painting and cleaning
Rewards Points: 250

It will be interesting. To see if its discoverd were the fingers pont. The plaster pulling off the wallpaper. exsposing the mold. blaming the contractor is posable.Apartment manigment always looks for the cheepist way out. tenits look for excuse they were victamized. Dont get looped in to cheep apartment manigment.Theres slow and theres steping backwerds. Thats way back.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #11

Trade: commercial/residential wall cover/wall paper hanger/remover

wow sounds like a mess to me, should have removed the wall cover and addressed the mold, now the stuff is locked in eating the building from the inside out. very bad building management! the cost in the long run are gonna be tremendous, and whomever is in this building on a daily basis is probably sick and don't know why........very bad decision, these are the things which keep putting negative stigma's on general construction and those who do it

Advertisement