Paper Removal - Wallpaper - Contractor Talk

Paper Removal

Old 01-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

Paper Removal

Any reason this steamer cannot be used for paper removal? Maybe attach a different end to place on the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
paper removal-steameri.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,268

Re: Paper Removal

It would take forever. You usually can only remove as wide an area as your steamer at one time.

Advertisement

Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Pro

Thats why I mentioned a different end for it.

I have never tried steam for paper removal. I am not sure of the learning curve. I do know not to get close to anything you do not want damaged by the steam. I removed a tiny bit of finish from a 1903 Murphy bed (mine) by having this thing a few inches from the bottom of it.

A boxed end would eliminate some of that I think.

Then again, maybe I should stick to the pump sprayer and scrapers.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

I'd be interested to find out what kind of results you get.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #5

Trade: Commercial painter
Rewards Points: 10

My company has done a ton a wallpaper removal - nursing homes. Do yourself a favor and buy a product DIF. It is an enzyme that loosens the paste. Get a bug sprayer and get the water as hot as you possibly can. Spray the crap out of it and give the product time to work. I spray it again right before I'm ready to get top coat off. Then try to peel the top layer off in one solid sheet. A backing will be left. Spray again. The backing using falls right off. Some of the tougher jobs I have sprayed as many as 10 times. Buy DIF at SW.

Steamers will take you forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to faithstep For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (02-15-2016)
Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithstep
My company has done a ton a wallpaper removal - nursing homes. Do yourself a favor and buy a product DIF. It is an enzyme that loosens the paste. Get a bug sprayer and get the water as hot as you possibly can. Spray the crap out of it and give the product time to work. I spray it again right before I'm ready to get top coat off. Then try to peel the top layer off in one solid sheet. A backing will be left. Spray again. The backing using falls right off. Some of the tougher jobs I have sprayed as many as 10 times. Buy DIF at SW.

He is 100% correct. That is the only way to strip it. I have done miles upon miles of paper removal. Just let the striper do the work we say.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithstep View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_Cnst View Post
He is 100% correct. That is the only way to strip it. I have done miles upon miles of paper removal. Just let the striper do the work we say.
So you guys are saying that spraying a wall 10 times to get the paper off is faster and easier than plugging in a steamer, waiting all of 5 minutes and pulling paper down right away?

With a steamer you get not only the paper, but the backing off at the same time. My steamer is about 12" wide, so I can take down a ceiling to floor strip, 12" wide, in about 2 minutes.

We just stripped a large laundry room (12x8) in about 2 hours. All we had to do was scrape off some loose garbage and start our wall prep.
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Pro

I have removed paper in the past. I always used the bug/garden sprayer. That being said, I am not sure I could ever tell if Dif gave any advantage over plain water.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
So you guys are saying that spraying a wall 10 times to get the paper off is faster and easier than plugging in a steamer, waiting all of 5 minutes and pulling paper down right away?

With a steamer you get not only the paper, but the backing off at the same time. My steamer is about 12" wide, so I can take down a ceiling to floor strip, 12" wide, in about 2 minutes.

We just stripped a large laundry room (12x8) in about 2 hours. All we had to do was scrape off some loose garbage and start our wall prep.
Thanks. Don't know why there is no thanks button at the bottom of your reply. Everyone else has one on my screen.

Anyway, got a pic of your steamer? Is it similar to the one I have?

Is using a steamer neater than using a sprayer?

I would be interested in getting or making and end for mine that would cover more area and experiment with it until I could remove paper and not damage the wall.

Mine came out of a clothing store.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:

Do you perforate the paper at all? I always did. Actually, I will cut it with my utility knife. This tends to make for a lot of smaller pieces. And no, for the most part, I do not cut the drywall, paneling, etc.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
Thanks. Don't know why there is no thanks button at the bottom of your reply. Everyone else has one on my screen.

Anyway, got a pic of your steamer? Is it similar to the one I have?

Is using a steamer neater than using a sprayer?

I would be interested in getting or making and end for mine that would cover more area and experiment with it until I could remove paper and not damage the wall.

Mine came out of a clothing store.
I have an older B&D model, probably 20 years old. Heats up real fast. I have purchased one recently and it took 15 minutes to warm up and didn't do nearly as good a job.

I will try and post a pic of it and find the model number for you.

As far as scoring the paper, you have to be careful, it can cause more harm than good to the drywall underneath. Another reason I prefer steam.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #12

Trade: Commercial painter
Rewards Points: 10

No. They are just trying to sell a tool that makes it more difficult. You want to get the paper off in one piece or as big of pices you can. Those scorers just make it more time consuming as you have LOTS pieces to get off. There is no fun in removing wallpaper and every job is different. Trust a steamer is too slow. Use the heck out of the DIF and it will work. If it a difficult job use more DIF. I feel for you.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
Hair Splitter

Quote:
No. They are just trying to sell a tool that makes it more difficult. You want to get the paper off in one piece or as big of pices you can. Those scorers just make it more time consuming as you have LOTS pieces to get off. There is no fun in removing wallpaper and every job is different. Trust a steamer is too slow. Use the heck out of the DIF and it will work. If it a difficult job use more DIF. I feel for you.
He is right, if you don't have a good steamer and know how to use it. Much slower than DIF. If you do know how to use it, much faster and cheaper. You never have to waste your money on DIF! A steamer pays for it self after a few jobs.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #14
New Guy

Rewards Points: 12

Did you score the wallpaper with a paper tiger "before" you applied DIF to the outside of the wallpaper?
Old 02-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Did you score the wallpaper with a paper tiger "before" you applied DIF to the outside of the wallpaper?
Ya he scored it 4 years ago, he's still working on it.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:08 AM   #16
paper hanger,painter

Trade: wallpaper hanger,painter
Rewards Points: 4

http://www.safeandsimple.com/

Advertisement