Anyone Ever Hang Anaglypta Raised Pattern Wallcovering? - Wallpaper - Contractor Talk

Anyone Ever Hang Anaglypta Raised Pattern Wallcovering?

Old 02-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: painting and carpentry
Rewards Points: 187

Anyone Ever Hang Anaglypta Raised Pattern Wallcovering?

Just did a Dining Room ceiling with the stuff. http://www.anaglypta.co.uk/our-paper...category_id=12. 12 x 16 ceiling dimensions.. Looks nice when painted, but what a PITA to hang on a ceiling. 3.5 inch repeat small squares and circles in the pattern. I put it up the 16 foot direction simply because there would be less waste that way. Lots of light coming the 2 large windows made everything more prominent looking. Had to follow the directions for soaking time (10-12 minutes for full stretch) and brush very carefully to avoid over flattening the raised pattern. No seam roller either. Just a light tap on each seam with the butt of the bristles on the smoothing brush. I should have taken pics of it, but forgot. Very satisfying results but a difficult process to get there.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,976

Re: Anyone Ever Hang Anaglypta Raised Pattern Wallcovering?

I will be hanging Anaglypta next week. Appreciate your comments about booking times. Did you use clay paste?

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: painting and carpentry
Rewards Points: 187

no, I havent used clay paste in years. Good stuff but always had trouble with surface staining from the dark color of the paste. I use Roman Adhesives Pro 880 clear ready mixed. Works well for everything. If you read the instructions for the Anaglypta, I think they recommend a clear ready mix adhesive. Just be careful how firm you brush the stuff down. If you brush too much or too hard it will flatten out the raised portion. I had some trouble with one strip on the ceiling I just did..........it was the last strip at the end of day 1. My arms were tired and I rushed the last 5 feet. Got wrinkles that normally could be brushed out with some force. Thats what I did and it looked good. The next day I hung the last 2 strips and then had to wait a day till that dried to paint the whole ceiling. I got a call from the homeowner that night and they said that the one strip looked smoother than the others. The next day went back and looked and sure enough the last 5 feet of that one strip was very flat looking in comparison to the rest of the ceiling. Guess what I did that day? Removed the last 3 strips and hung 3 new ones. Luckily I always over order just in case of troubles, I had just enough to correct my problem..... All was good in the end, with 5 extra hours of work on my part to correct my hasty mistake.
The Following User Says Thank You to dale rex For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (02-16-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 468

I've only used it on a ceiling that was coffered so that each panel was 20" square or less. Easy peasy.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #5

Trade: Painting and wallpaper contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Dale,

I hung Anaglypta many years ago but it was only a border.
It sounds like your project was a little challenging to say the least.
I'm not much on hanging wallpaper on ceilings, my arms get to burning
after a while....used to hang ceilings by myself...but no more....I like that extra set of hands to hold and help smooth things in place....