When Work Is Slow?

Old 03-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
Administrator

Trade: Administrator
Rewards Points: 14,084

When Work Is Slow?

When Work Is Slow?-planforbadtimes-lge.jpg

Quote:
When business is good, you donít want to think about times when it might not be as good. First of all, youíre too busy to think about such things. Youíre juggling deadlines, construction teams and trying to keep the day-to-day operations afloat. Who has time to worry about when business gets slow? When to Start Planning for the Bad Times
How do you usually handle things when work gets slow?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,654

Re: When Work Is Slow?

When work is slow, I run a protection racket for Architects and Designers in the local area.

I.E. "It sure would be a shame for something to happen to that mouse youz is workin' wit. Mayhaps youz need some protection from such eventualities".

And such as that.

Andy.

Advertisement

Last edited by ScipioAfricanus; 03-13-2019 at 09:41 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (03-14-2019), griz (03-13-2019), hdavis (03-13-2019), Jaws (03-13-2019), Joasis (03-14-2019), SouthonBeach (03-15-2019), Xtrememtnbiker (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 788

Get all of your equipment and tools in good shape, cleaned up and organized.
Make sales calls or spend time with good clients.
Work on your estimating, accounting or proposal systems.
Get some training or educate yourself on something.
Take some much needed time off and relax.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (03-14-2019), griz (03-13-2019), Jaws (03-13-2019), m2akita (05-03-2019), ScipioAfricanus (03-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,914

Fishindude said it best.

I also beat the hell out of the bushes and shake something loose

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

John
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (03-14-2019), griz (03-13-2019), pinwheel (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,276

Look for opportunities and catch up on all the other stuff I'm behind on.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 5,928

Tee shirt art. Learned from the very best.

I'll hook you up on Etsy.
Attached Thumbnails
When Work Is Slow?-rosey-grier-needlepoint.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 279

It depends....

When we just get a little slow, I try to keep it a secret so that all the little odds and ends jobs that have been chasing me don't find out.

When we get like recession slow, I do like everybody else here. Call up all of the salesmen I deal with, check in with contractors that I haven't worked with in a while, etc.

Easy Gibson
Old 03-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 2,374

Work on finishing off my basement. It only gets worked on when there is absolutely nothing else to do.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:09 PM   #9
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 494

What works for us, doesn't work for larger companies trying to hustle up enough work to keep employees from going elsewhere.

That said, our whole business plan is modeled for slow times. The amount of money we finance is geared towards our leanest times, not our boom times. During boom times, we pay off debt so we can survive lean times.

In the last 18 months, we've been upgrading our shop tools. I'm proud to say, that every machine in our shop & all of our lumber inventory is 100% paid for.

That said, we've been begging for a slow down all winter, but that wish keeps getting rejected & we now find ourselves heading into spring & the phones blowing up, so I guess the slow down we want, isn't on the horizon. So I guess we'll keep focusing on paying down debt & continuing to upgrade our shop tools.

That said, Darcy, I told the ole lady this afternoon that a big planer was the next big shop tool purchase, so it's time to start looking.

Last edited by pinwheel; 03-13-2019 at 09:12 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
Cricket (03-14-2019), Xtrememtnbiker (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #10
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,484

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post

In the last 18 months, we've been upgrading our shop tools. continuing to upgrade our shop tools.

Perfect. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #11
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
Perfect. Lol

Damn, you're Johnny on the spot. Kinda like a crack dealer knowing his customer just got paid & is jonesing.

Jenny said I can't buy a new planer till after the new building is up, so don't come pimpin one next week.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #12
I like Green things

Quote:
Damn, you're Johnny on the spot. Kinda like a crack dealer knowing his customer just got paid & is jonesing.

Jenny said I can't buy a new planer till after the new building is up, so don't come pimpin one next week.
You have made some really smart upgrades, saving time is the best way to make money.

We just wont tell her about it. Lol.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (03-13-2019), Xtrememtnbiker (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #13
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
You have made some really smart upgrades, saving time is the best way to make money.

We just wont tell her about it. Lol.

We ran several thousand feet of white oak moulding last week. All the raw materials came into the shop as rough sawn. We skip planed everything before running it through the straight line saw. That project, made me realize just how undersized that 20" grizzly is for production work. I was catching coming out of the planer & was bored to death. The client was catching coming out of the straight line saw, he was flat hustling trying to keep up. 20fpm compared to 63 fpm. Once, just for pure oneryness, I turned the saw up on high. He was me.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:35 PM   #14
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 3,690

Slow? When does that happen?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
pinwheel (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #15
I like Green things

Quote:
We ran several thousand feet of white oak moulding last week. All the raw materials came into the shop as rough sawn. We skip planed everything before running it through the straight line saw. That project, made me realize just how undersized that 20" grizzly is for production work. I was catching coming out of the planer & was bored to death. The client was catching coming out of the straight line saw, he was flat hustling trying to keep up. 20fpm compared to 63 fpm. Once, just for pure oneryness, I turned the saw up on high. He was me.
185 fpm will piss any tail boy off. Lol.

I usually run around the 90fpm mark.

Yeah, that planer is now a bottleneck.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,058

I always keep in mind slow times, and how fast you need to be to make a change...but that said, I have been fortunate with our mix of commercial and residential...we have not had a single morning that we can get up with no where to go that is not income producing.

You have to be flexible...and you have to accept that sometimes you will not make as much as you have in the past, or demand when times are good, but survival and seeing an advantage is where it is some days.

Many years ago, right after my son joined up with me in the company, we actually hit a spot where he was finishing up a metal building, and we only had a few small jobs on the books...and I had no home starts either.....and I had a call....a guy says I have a steel building, I need it put up, I already have a guy lined up to pour concrete, what will you erect the building for?

My standard price at that time was $4 a sq/ft (building he was calling on was 60 x 80 x 16, with a few windows)....and that is what I told him. He immediately said he had a bid from another guy for $2 but heard good things about us, and wanted to try us on price....but he couldn't go more then what he already had, I would understand.....sure. I just about told him to go with the cheap price and hang up, but I thought about it for a few seconds.....highway location, meaning high visibility....easy building size, 3 guys to erect it, not a full crew, and fast payday. No profit, but pay the bills. And, most importantly.....stay at home and watch TV, or work?

I said sure....we have a gap in our schedule, and if you can get concrete down, and it fits, we will get it done.

Half price....half of my normal price for a building, but we did it in a week, $9,600, no issues, and when you consider that I paid only 3 people, me included, I did make money......but what I really got was a sign on a busy highway, and sold 4 more jobs from that one job being seen....guys said you really got that building done in a hurry, I like that!

So......that is one time I indeed agreed to a cut rate to keep the schedule moving.

Advertisement

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
cwatbay (03-14-2019), griz (03-14-2019), hdavis (03-14-2019), heavy (03-14-2019), Jaws (03-23-2019), mrcat (03-14-2019), NGCExcavation (03-14-2019), pinwheel (03-14-2019), Xtrememtnbiker (03-14-2019)