Have You Ever Considered Becoming A Home Inspector? - Featured Articles - Contractor Talk

Have You Ever Considered Becoming A Home Inspector?

Old 10-03-2018, 06:22 AM   #1
Texas Strong

Trade: Administrator
Rewards Points: 14,348

Have You Ever Considered Becoming A Home Inspector?

Have you ever considered becoming a home inspector?-buildinginspector-lge.jpg

Quote:
Whether youíve got an extreme eye for detail or are just tired of the physical toll contracting takes, becoming an inspector is a valid option for those looking to make a career change within the industry. Spotlight on Specializations: Got an Eye for Detail? Inspections Could Be Your Bag
Have you ever worked as a home inspector?

Would you consider it? Why or why not?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,930

Re: Have You Ever Considered Becoming A Home Inspector?

Just what what I always wanted to be when I grew up: a giant douche-bag

Advertisement

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (10-03-2018), cedarboarder (10-04-2018), Jaws (10-03-2018), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (10-03-2018), TheConstruct (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 07:35 AM   #3
Texas Strong

Trade: Administrator
Rewards Points: 14,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Just what what I always wanted to be when I grew up: a giant douche-bag
I just spit my coffee all over my keyboard.
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,380

In addition to home inspector there's all kind of special inspectors. I know someone a worker's comp rehab program who is working on getting certificates to do various inspections that are called out more and more these days.

Retaining walls with loads on them, retrofit anchor bolts, more dense nailing patterns on shear panels, plus a whole bunch more require special inspections in many areas and pay well for the service.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rio For This Useful Post:
Cricket (10-03-2018), ScipioAfricanus (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:19 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,104

Yeah after I paid a home inspector 600 bucks to let me know stuff like the handle on the stove in the basement suite was broken I started to consider it...
Old 10-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,046

there is a shortage of them now days since the used car market has been so good....
TheConstruct (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 10:07 PM   #7
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 154

Those who can, Do.

Those who can't, Teach

Those who can't do, don't know enough to teach, and have the IQ and personality of a warthog, can always become Home Inspectors.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
asevereid (10-04-2018), Jaws (10-03-2018), mrcat (10-04-2018), SouthonBeach (10-04-2018), TheConstruct (10-03-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #8

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 196

I've never considered being a home inspector, but I've often thought that being a dedicated trade inspector for the city could be interesting. Sheet metal, plumbing, electrical, those guys seem to be busy and probably have a pension and bennies.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Building Official
Rewards Points: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed View Post
I've never considered being a home inspector, but I've often thought that being a dedicated trade inspector for the city could be interesting. Sheet metal, plumbing, electrical, those guys seem to be busy and probably have a pension and bennies.

It's... something. I'm not sure interesting is the right word, although some days certainly are.
The Following User Says Thank You to XJCraver For This Useful Post:
Fixed (10-06-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJCraver View Post
It's... something. I'm not sure interesting is the right word, although some days certainly are.
Are you an inspector? Your profile seems to confirm that.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:12 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Are you an inspector? Your profile seems to confirm that.

Yes. 5 years in. Small town. I wouldn't want to do it at all in any place much bigger than this.
Fixed (10-06-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes. 5 years in. Small town. I wouldn't want to do it at all in any place much bigger than this.
Would you recommend it?

I have a few options available to me: continue on in the trade (HVAC/sheet metal), or start learning the estimating side of the business.

I'm not big on the former, because I don't like the idea of destroying my lungs, knees and wrists for the rest of my career. The estimating I'm not sure about: I hear wildly different numbers about earning potential and work-life balance.

I have a university degree, and am very close to a sheet metal ticket, and my old journeyman told me that to him that just screams "future inspector to tell me how to do my job".

Old 10-04-2018, 01:02 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Would you recommend it?

I have a few options available to me: continue on in the trade (HVAC/sheet metal), or start learning the estimating side of the business.

I'm not big on the former, because I don't like the idea of destroying my lungs, knees and wrists for the rest of my career. The estimating I'm not sure about: I hear wildly different numbers about earning potential and work-life balance.

I have a university degree, and am very close to a sheet metal ticket, and my old journeyman told me that to him that just screams "future inspector to tell me how to do my job".

I'd say it depends on the jurisdiction you're looking to work for, and the people that already work for it. If you don't like who you're working for you won't like it any better just because it's a "city job". And politicians are elected every 2 years (here, anyway), and dealing with them comes with the job.

I know this town, knew a lot of the people, and worked here before I took this job. For me, that helped. In a different place or for a different person I'm not sure if that'd hold up or not.

This isn't a job for you if dollar bills are your only motivation - big city inspectors and bosses can make some bank, but that's an exception and not a rule.

I've had worse jobs. But I've had better ones, too. I took this one for a number of reasons, but if the world was a different place I'd still be swinging a hammer. I like that side of the desk a lot better than this one.
Fixed (10-06-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 04:46 PM   #14

Quote:
I'd say it depends on the jurisdiction you're looking to work for, and the people that already work for it. If you don't like who you're working for you won't like it any better just because it's a "city job". And politicians are elected every 2 years (here, anyway), and dealing with them comes with the job.

I know this town, knew a lot of the people, and worked here before I took this job. For me, that helped. In a different place or for a different person I'm not sure if that'd hold up or not.

This isn't a job for you if dollar bills are your only motivation - big city inspectors and bosses can make some bank, but that's an exception and not a rule.

I've had worse jobs. But I've had better ones, too. I took this one for a number of reasons, but if the world was a different place I'd still be swinging a hammer. I like that side of the desk a lot better than this one.
Thanks for the response, gives me more to think about.

I actually have some connections locally, but the people I've spoken to about the job seem to think you'd have to be crazy to put down the tools and pick up the clipboard.

For inspectors, are they always former tradesmen, or do they also come out of the office sometimes, like out of management or estimating roles within the industry?

Old 10-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #15
Pro

From everywhere. Some not even from the industry, some fresh out of school, etc.
Fixed (10-06-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #16

Trade: Home Inspector
Rewards Points: 16

After 23 years I put down the tools and became a home inspector back in 2014. Networking, sales and SEO were new to me but I overcame those hurdles and have not had trouble finding work since the first few months of opening up shop.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:25 AM   #17

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 164

I did, although very briefly and out of frustration. Even remember stumbling upon this, which was helpful to those seriously interested but eventually not to me. I suppose I'm just not willing to put the work in and currently enjoy where I'm at anyway.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 244

Your 23 years experience in the field, put you miles ahead of an inspector with such experience. I’ll bet a remodeler with 10 or more years experience could find more issues with a home than most home inspectors.

My experiences with most Home Inspectors is they see the obvious, have a boilerplate suggestion for them which states to get a professional opinion. They miss the really important and serious things, or they will suggestion to caulk around the basement window well, because there is evidence of water intrusion, then fail to notice that half the side yard drains toward the window (along with an adjacent downspout/splash block).

Advertisement