Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face? - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
Registered User
 
dmaurice's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8

Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Hey everyone, I'm thinking of starting my own remodeling business but I'm worried about what problems I will face. I am currently working as a tiler but I hate working for my boss and want to partner up with my friend who is a plumber. We mostly plan on doing bathroom remodeling. What are the biggest problems you have in your business now? Is it marketing, is it finding staff and keeping them?
dmaurice is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 08-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
Pro
 
sparehair's Avatar
 
Trade: Painting, flooring
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 765
Rewards Points: 1,358

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Marketing is the most important thing any business does. If you don't have a website, social media campaign, and an ONLINE MARKETING BUDGET you will be living on the brink of failure for many years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

sparehair is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to sparehair For This Useful Post:
dmaurice (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
Pro
 
avenge's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Not here
Posts: 3,084
Rewards Points: 720

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehair View Post
Marketing is the most important thing any business does. If you don't have a website, social media campaign, and an ONLINE MARKETING BUDGET you will be living on the brink of failure for many years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I don't have any of that, don't want it, don't need it, never advertised in 29 years.
avenge is online now  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (09-04-2018), greg24k (08-31-2018), griz (08-30-2018), Jaws (08-31-2018), Jonbuild (09-03-2018), Robie (09-01-2018), rrk (08-31-2018), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (09-03-2018), Tom M (09-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
Member
 
Herminigilde's Avatar
 
Trade: Sustainable Builder/Remodel and Rehab
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Too far North
Posts: 47
Rewards Points: 49

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


The problems are the same throughout the trades, business-wise.

From a work perspective, having a good relationship with code officials is really important because there are more. You don't deal with plumbing codes during window replacement. You don't deal with electrical code installing laminate in a living room. And you don't generally start moving walls across the room during a widow job.

Total remodel of kitchen or bath often do. And that means code officials need to be your friend. Even if you don't like them.

Also, we do a lot of ADA accessibility bathroom remodels. You'll have to decide if you're ready to open that can of worms. You'll learn more about floor joists than you ever thought you could. It helps to have a good head for three dimensional thinking. You should be able to visualize the end product and the steps to get there.

You need sound skills in framing, sheet rock, paint, other flooring, finish carpentry, rot problem solving, "make it fit" problem solving and unhappy homeowner skills (because they've been using a port-a-potty for a week and can't shower).

Maybe start by gutting your own bathroom with your buddy, replace everything, move a couple things around and see if you still want to start a company in that niche market.

I absolutely love it, but frankly, there are easier places to start.
Herminigilde is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Herminigilde For This Useful Post:
dmaurice (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #5
Pro
 
sparehair's Avatar
 
Trade: Painting, flooring
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 765
Rewards Points: 1,358

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
I don't have any of that, don't want it, don't need it, never advertised in 29 years.
You've been working for 29 years and you're still working.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
sparehair is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
Pro
 
avenge's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Not here
Posts: 3,084
Rewards Points: 720

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehair View Post
You've been working for 29 years and you're still working.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
No I've been working for 46 years and don't plan on quitting, with a high probability of dying on the jobsite.
avenge is online now  
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (09-04-2018), Calidecks (08-30-2018), Golden view (08-31-2018), greg24k (08-31-2018), griz (08-30-2018), Jaws (08-31-2018), Robie (09-01-2018), rrk (08-31-2018), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (09-03-2018), TheConstruct (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 11:04 PM   #7
GC/carpenter
 
Calidecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 37,630
Rewards Points: 22,540

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehair View Post
Marketing is the most important thing any business does. If you don't have a website, social media campaign, and an ONLINE MARKETING BUDGET you will be living on the brink of failure for many years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


My website is mainly to school customers about the product.


Mike.
_______________
Calidecks is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
Jaws (09-03-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 03:20 AM   #8
Registered User
 
dmaurice's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Thanks for the replies. We are starting out on my friends bathroom first and deciding where to go from there. We will have a marketing budget for sure. Is there anyway you can deal with time wasters? You know people who will ask you for a quote and then you'll never hear from them again
dmaurice is offline  
Old 08-31-2018, 05:18 AM   #9
The Sheriff

 
Jaws's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23,924
Rewards Points: 6,678

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehair View Post
You've been working for 29 years and you're still working.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
First year we did about 400k in gross sales. Last year was 10 times that 10 years later. Other than Parade of Homes or a Showcase never advertised. All WOM. I imagine I'm in the top percentile for pricing too. I told a lady (who still booked an appt) yesterday if she's shopping price it's not worth her time for me to come out.

I give away almost as many leads as I pursue under normal circumstances.
__________________
"The sound of the saftey clicking off is the only warning your gonna get......., so cover your ears" Northeast Wyoming 2016

John
Jaws is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (09-04-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 05:20 AM   #10
The Sheriff

 
Jaws's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23,924
Rewards Points: 6,678

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaurice View Post
Thanks for the replies. We are starting out on my friends bathroom first and deciding where to go from there. We will have a marketing budget for sure. Is there anyway you can deal with time wasters? You know people who will ask you for a quote and then you'll never hear from them again
When your established charge for proposals. 95% who pay will sign up in my experience

Partners aren't for everyone. Takes a special set of skills and maturity to make it go. Make damn sure before you go down that road
__________________
"The sound of the saftey clicking off is the only warning your gonna get......., so cover your ears" Northeast Wyoming 2016

John
Jaws is online now  
Old 08-31-2018, 07:06 AM   #11
Pro
 
woody123's Avatar
 
Trade: repair , and remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: miami, florida
Posts: 139
Rewards Points: 304

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaurice View Post
Thanks for the replies. We are starting out on my friends bathroom first and deciding where to go from there. We will have a marketing budget for sure. Is there anyway you can deal with time wasters? You know people who will ask you for a quote and then you'll never hear from them again
you have to look at what your doing on those bids ,
your not just there to give a cost .
your there to sell yourself .
yes, you are a salesman now
( just don`t be like the car salesman who is full of chitt, be that charming mo-fo that appears to really know what hes talking about )

you need for one to be good at presentation , and also a good listener ,

not saying you do this , but you cant just :
walk in , take measurements , and give a cost .

explain what your going to do
explain your steps
explain the subs jobs , let them know your subs a good guys ,
let them know first and foremost you`ll keep the premises clean ,
many times a bathroom is in the middle of the house , you have to go through the whole house daily with trash , and tools .
let then know you`ll keep everything neat and orderly.
if they are going to be gone all day , you have to let them know your going to keep the house safe .
let them know that you`ll stay on the job every day until it gets done , you won`t job-hop , and leave them waiting days on end .

your a walking commercial

basically , your saying " i got this , you wont have to worry about a single thing. everything is going to be o.k"( and mean it )

you can even make a " scope of work "
showing day one and 2 will be demo ,
day 3 -re-frame ,
day 4 , plumber completes rough
day 5 electric completes rough
day 4 , etc..

" we should be done in aprox 2 weeks "
let them know when they can have their house back
.
your a house guest ,
make sure your not the houseguest from hell.
woody123 is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody123 For This Useful Post:
asevereid (08-31-2018), dmaurice (08-31-2018), Idothat (08-31-2018), SmallTownGuy (09-04-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #12
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,609
Rewards Points: 6,472

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaurice View Post
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of starting my own remodeling business but I'm worried about what problems I will face. I am currently working as a tiler but I hate working for my boss and want to partner up with my friend who is a plumber. We mostly plan on doing bathroom remodeling. What are the biggest problems you have in your business now? Is it marketing, is it finding staff and keeping them?
For me it was finding an excellent tile setter and plumber. So you might just have a good combination there.

Marketing depends on what type of business you have. As has been argued here, it can be highly important the more specialized you are. If you're a GC who only needs a few projects a year, it's easier to get WOM. Projects take a long time, have a lot of involved parties, are talked about a lot.

But when you're cranking out 50-100 floors a year, or a couple dozen bathrooms, you might need more help marketing as WOM can die off.
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
Jaws (09-03-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
Particulate Filter
 
Metro M & L's Avatar
 
Trade: Flooring
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,408
Rewards Points: 1,436

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
No I've been working for 46 years and don't plan on quitting, with a high probability of dying on the jobsite.
There you have it; if you want to work until you're dead don't advertise.

As usual Golden view is the voice of reason. Different strategies work for different niches but ALL businesses market.

Some don't have a budget but they network. They provide great customer service etc. Whenever I have to spend a little extra on a project I just chalk it up to a marketing expense; protecting my good name.

But if you have no reputation and no customers or your dad didn't give you his book of clients its pretty ******* hard to light a fire without a match. Can you rub two sticks together until something happens? Sure. But it sure is easier to use a lighter. Marketing is the match. Customer service is the fuel.
__________________
"A smart man learns from his mistakes; a wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Metro M & L is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
Jaws (09-01-2018), Jonbuild (09-03-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #14
The Sheriff

 
Jaws's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23,924
Rewards Points: 6,678

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
There you have it; if you want to work until you're dead don't advertise.

As usual Golden view is the voice of reason. Different strategies work for different niches but ALL businesses market.

Some don't have a budget but they network. They provide great customer service etc. Whenever I have to spend a little extra on a project I just chalk it up to a marketing expense; protecting my good name.

But if you have no reputation and no customers or your dad didn't give you his book of clients its pretty ******* hard to light a fire without a match. Can you rub two sticks together until something happens? Sure. But it sure is easier to use a lighter. Marketing is the match. Customer service is the fuel.
If you were referring to me with the book of clients, other than maybe half a dozen people we have not worked for anybody he worked for when he had a construction company 10 years before we started this one. None of those projects were substantial, and his last client before this company was 20 years ago

I did inherit a good name and hell of an education , but no "book of clients"

But yes, I network. I network like it's a job, because it is.

The old man didn't network, he didn't even know what that was probably until he went to work for the other Builder when he shut his own business down. He still does not network. But he doesn't need to. LOL

First thing he told me to do when I hooked up with him was joined the Builders Association and Chamber of Commerce. Best decision we've ever made was getting into networking



Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
__________________
"The sound of the saftey clicking off is the only warning your gonna get......., so cover your ears" Northeast Wyoming 2016

John
Jaws is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (09-01-2018), SmallTownGuy (09-04-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 04:21 PM   #15
The Sheriff

 
Jaws's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23,924
Rewards Points: 6,678

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


I think a lot of people underestimate learning to beat the bushes and Network. Like I said earlier, we are 10 times bigger in 10 years with no marketing other than the Parade of Homes.

There is no better business plan to me. But it takes work

Doing projects like bathrooms, kitchens, decks ect.... as a specialty I'd probably advertise heavily. But I'd still network

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
__________________
"The sound of the saftey clicking off is the only warning your gonna get......., so cover your ears" Northeast Wyoming 2016

John

Last edited by Jaws; 09-01-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Jaws is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
griz (09-01-2018), Metro M & L (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #16
Pro
 
avenge's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Not here
Posts: 3,084
Rewards Points: 720

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
There you have it; if you want to work until you're dead don't advertise.
That makes no sense I have 1 job that's nearing $60 grand labor only while doing other jobs at the same time. I'm turning down jobs and have 6 bids to work on. I'm basically a 1 man operation, something I chose and prefer.

My business has been WOM for 29 years. I built a reputation as an employee before that. I didn't have to build a business, it took off overnight, I built a reputation. I don't have to deal with tire kickers and problematic clients. Every one of my clients know another or several of my clients. They know what to expect but also know not to ***** with me.

I choose and plan to work as long as I can not because I have to.
avenge is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
Jaws (09-03-2018), rrk (09-03-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 06:28 PM   #17
Particulate Filter
 
Metro M & L's Avatar
 
Trade: Flooring
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,408
Rewards Points: 1,436

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
If you were referring to me with the book of clients, other than maybe half a dozen people we have not worked for anybody he worked for when he had a construction company 10 years before we started this one. None of those projects were substantial, and his last client before this company was 20 years ago

I did inherit a good name and hell of an education , but no "book of clients"

But yes, I network. I network like it's a job, because it is.

The old man didn't network, he didn't even know what that was probably until he went to work for the other Builder when he shut his own business down. He still does not network. But he doesn't need to. LOL

First thing he told me to do when I hooked up with him was joined the Builders Association and Chamber of Commerce. Best decision we've ever made was getting into networking



Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Wasn't thinking of you. I just know I started with nothing. No clients, no skills, no tools. I, personally, had a very hard time making money until I started allocating money and effort to marketing.

If I had been smarter I would have gotten more serious about the marketing sooner. It literally cost me hundreds of thousands in lost revenue over the first five years of operation. But it takes time to learn what you don't know and I wasn't fully committed to the self employed life. It was just to get by until I could find a job. Except I couldn't find a job that would support my family.
__________________
"A smart man learns from his mistakes; a wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Metro M & L is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
Jaws (09-02-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 05:41 AM   #18
Registered User
 
dmaurice's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


So if you could all solve one problem in your business, what would it be?
dmaurice is offline  
Old 09-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #19
The Sheriff

 
Jaws's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23,924
Rewards Points: 6,678

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Better sources of Skilled labor

Overhead
__________________
"The sound of the saftey clicking off is the only warning your gonna get......., so cover your ears" Northeast Wyoming 2016

John
Jaws is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (09-04-2018), Golden view (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #20
Goin' Down in Flames....
 
Seven-Delta-FortyOne's Avatar
 
Trade: Highwayman
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell
Posts: 4,106
Rewards Points: 284

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?


Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
That makes no sense I have 1 job that's nearing $60 grand labor only while doing other jobs at the same time. I'm turning down jobs and have 6 bids to work on. I'm basically a 1 man operation, something I chose and prefer.

My business has been WOM for 29 years. I built a reputation as an employee before that. I didn't have to build a business, it took off overnight, I built a reputation. I don't have to deal with tire kickers and problematic clients. Every one of my clients know another or several of my clients. They know what to expect but also know not to ***** with me.

I choose and plan to work as long as I can not because I have to.
Some people don't get it.

For some, mostly the younger generation, the entire goal of life is to not work. Guess they wouldn't have enjoyed The Garden of Eden very much.

I can't imagine not working, I'd be bored $h!tless. But then I don't play video games, do drugs, or yell at my mom from the basement to bring me meatloaf.

Advertisement

__________________
Remember when "Climate Change" was a thing??
Seven-Delta-FortyOne is online now  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
avenge (09-03-2018), Jaws (09-03-2018), META (09-04-2018), mrcat (09-03-2018), Robie (09-04-2018), SmallTownGuy (09-04-2018), Tom M (09-04-2018)



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retirement Planning for Contractors MattK Business 0 03-18-2013 10:34 PM
Bathroom Remodeling / tile installation 4160mark New Member Introductions 6 02-14-2013 07:55 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?