Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face? - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?

Old 08-30-2018, 11:17 AM   #1

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8

Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of starting my own remodeling business but I'm worried about what problems I will face. I am currently working as a tiler but I hate working for my boss and want to partner up with my friend who is a plumber. We mostly plan on doing bathroom remodeling. What are the biggest problems you have in your business now? Is it marketing, is it finding staff and keeping them?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,358

Re: Whats The Biggest Problems Bathroom Remodeling Contractors Face?

Marketing is the most important thing any business does. If you don't have a website, social media campaign, and an ONLINE MARKETING BUDGET you will be living on the brink of failure for many years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to sparehair For This Useful Post:
dmaurice (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehair View Post
Marketing is the most important thing any business does. If you don't have a website, social media campaign, and an ONLINE MARKETING BUDGET you will be living on the brink of failure for many years.

I don't have any of that, don't want it, don't need it, never advertised in 29 years.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (09-04-2018), greg24k (08-31-2018), griz (08-30-2018), Jaws (08-31-2018), Jonbuild (09-03-2018), Robie (09-01-2018), rrk (08-31-2018), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (09-03-2018), Tom M (09-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #4

Trade: Sustainable Builder/Remodel and Rehab
Rewards Points: 49

The problems are the same throughout the trades, business-wise.

From a work perspective, having a good relationship with code officials is really important because there are more. You don't deal with plumbing codes during window replacement. You don't deal with electrical code installing laminate in a living room. And you don't generally start moving walls across the room during a widow job.

Total remodel of kitchen or bath often do. And that means code officials need to be your friend. Even if you don't like them.

Also, we do a lot of ADA accessibility bathroom remodels. You'll have to decide if you're ready to open that can of worms. You'll learn more about floor joists than you ever thought you could. It helps to have a good head for three dimensional thinking. You should be able to visualize the end product and the steps to get there.

You need sound skills in framing, sheet rock, paint, other flooring, finish carpentry, rot problem solving, "make it fit" problem solving and unhappy homeowner skills (because they've been using a port-a-potty for a week and can't shower).

Maybe start by gutting your own bathroom with your buddy, replace everything, move a couple things around and see if you still want to start a company in that niche market.

I absolutely love it, but frankly, there are easier places to start.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herminigilde For This Useful Post:
dmaurice (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
I don't have any of that, don't want it, don't need it, never advertised in 29 years.
You've been working for 29 years and you're still working.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:

No I've been working for 46 years and don't plan on quitting, with a high probability of dying on the jobsite.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (09-04-2018), Calidecks (08-30-2018), Golden view (08-31-2018), greg24k (08-31-2018), griz (08-30-2018), Jaws (08-31-2018), Robie (09-01-2018), rrk (08-31-2018), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (09-03-2018), TheConstruct (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 11:04 PM   #7
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 22,540

Quote:

My website is mainly to school customers about the product.

Mike.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:20 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies. We are starting out on my friends bathroom first and deciding where to go from there. We will have a marketing budget for sure. Is there anyway you can deal with time wasters? You know people who will ask you for a quote and then you'll never hear from them again
Old 08-31-2018, 05:18 AM   #9
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 6,678

Quote:

First year we did about 400k in gross sales. Last year was 10 times that 10 years later. Other than Parade of Homes or a Showcase never advertised. All WOM. I imagine I'm in the top percentile for pricing too. I told a lady (who still booked an appt) yesterday if she's shopping price it's not worth her time for me to come out.

I give away almost as many leads as I pursue under normal circumstances.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (09-04-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 05:20 AM   #10
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaurice View Post
Thanks for the replies. We are starting out on my friends bathroom first and deciding where to go from there. We will have a marketing budget for sure. Is there anyway you can deal with time wasters? You know people who will ask you for a quote and then you'll never hear from them again
When your established charge for proposals. 95% who pay will sign up in my experience

Partners aren't for everyone. Takes a special set of skills and maturity to make it go. Make damn sure before you go down that road

John
Old 08-31-2018, 07:06 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: repair , and remodeling
Rewards Points: 304

Quote:
you have to look at what your doing on those bids ,
your not just there to give a cost .
your there to sell yourself .
yes, you are a salesman now
( just don`t be like the car salesman who is full of chitt, be that charming mo-fo that appears to really know what hes talking about )

you need for one to be good at presentation , and also a good listener ,

not saying you do this , but you cant just :
walk in , take measurements , and give a cost .

explain what your going to do
explain your steps
explain the subs jobs , let them know your subs a good guys ,
let them know first and foremost you`ll keep the premises clean ,
many times a bathroom is in the middle of the house , you have to go through the whole house daily with trash , and tools .
let then know you`ll keep everything neat and orderly.
if they are going to be gone all day , you have to let them know your going to keep the house safe .
let them know that you`ll stay on the job every day until it gets done , you won`t job-hop , and leave them waiting days on end .

your a walking commercial

basically , your saying " i got this , you wont have to worry about a single thing. everything is going to be o.k"( and mean it )

you can even make a " scope of work "
showing day one and 2 will be demo ,
day 3 -re-frame ,
day 4 , plumber completes rough
day 5 electric completes rough
day 4 , etc..

" we should be done in aprox 2 weeks "
let them know when they can have their house back
your a house guest ,
make sure your not the houseguest from hell.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody123 For This Useful Post:
asevereid (08-31-2018), dmaurice (08-31-2018), Idothat (08-31-2018), SmallTownGuy (09-04-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #12
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 6,472

Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of starting my own remodeling business but I'm worried about what problems I will face. I am currently working as a tiler but I hate working for my boss and want to partner up with my friend who is a plumber. We mostly plan on doing bathroom remodeling. What are the biggest problems you have in your business now? Is it marketing, is it finding staff and keeping them?
For me it was finding an excellent tile setter and plumber. So you might just have a good combination there.

Marketing depends on what type of business you have. As has been argued here, it can be highly important the more specialized you are. If you're a GC who only needs a few projects a year, it's easier to get WOM. Projects take a long time, have a lot of involved parties, are talked about a lot.

But when you're cranking out 50-100 floors a year, or a couple dozen bathrooms, you might need more help marketing as WOM can die off.
Jaws (09-03-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,436

Quote:
No I've been working for 46 years and don't plan on quitting, with a high probability of dying on the jobsite.
There you have it; if you want to work until you're dead don't advertise.

As usual Golden view is the voice of reason. Different strategies work for different niches but ALL businesses market.

Some don't have a budget but they network. They provide great customer service etc. Whenever I have to spend a little extra on a project I just chalk it up to a marketing expense; protecting my good name.

But if you have no reputation and no customers or your dad didn't give you his book of clients its pretty ******* hard to light a fire without a match. Can you rub two sticks together until something happens? Sure. But it sure is easier to use a lighter. Marketing is the match. Customer service is the fuel.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
Jaws (09-01-2018), Jonbuild (09-03-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #14
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post

As usual Golden view is the voice of reason. Different strategies work for different niches but ALL businesses market.

Some don't have a budget but they network. They provide great customer service etc. Whenever I have to spend a little extra on a project I just chalk it up to a marketing expense; protecting my good name.

But if you have no reputation and no customers or your dad didn't give you his book of clients its pretty ******* hard to light a fire without a match. Can you rub two sticks together until something happens? Sure. But it sure is easier to use a lighter. Marketing is the match. Customer service is the fuel.
If you were referring to me with the book of clients, other than maybe half a dozen people we have not worked for anybody he worked for when he had a construction company 10 years before we started this one. None of those projects were substantial, and his last client before this company was 20 years ago

I did inherit a good name and hell of an education , but no "book of clients"

But yes, I network. I network like it's a job, because it is.

The old man didn't network, he didn't even know what that was probably until he went to work for the other Builder when he shut his own business down. He still does not network. But he doesn't need to. LOL

First thing he told me to do when I hooked up with him was joined the Builders Association and Chamber of Commerce. Best decision we've ever made was getting into networking

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (09-01-2018), SmallTownGuy (09-04-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 04:21 PM   #15
The Sheriff

I think a lot of people underestimate learning to beat the bushes and Network. Like I said earlier, we are 10 times bigger in 10 years with no marketing other than the Parade of Homes.

There is no better business plan to me. But it takes work

Doing projects like bathrooms, kitchens, decks ect.... as a specialty I'd probably advertise heavily. But I'd still network

John

Last edited by Jaws; 09-01-2018 at 04:46 PM.
griz (09-01-2018), Metro M & L (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
That makes no sense I have 1 job that's nearing $60 grand labor only while doing other jobs at the same time. I'm turning down jobs and have 6 bids to work on. I'm basically a 1 man operation, something I chose and prefer.

My business has been WOM for 29 years. I built a reputation as an employee before that. I didn't have to build a business, it took off overnight, I built a reputation. I don't have to deal with tire kickers and problematic clients. Every one of my clients know another or several of my clients. They know what to expect but also know not to ***** with me.

I choose and plan to work as long as I can not because I have to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
Jaws (09-03-2018), rrk (09-03-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 06:28 PM   #17
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
If you were referring to me with the book of clients, other than maybe half a dozen people we have not worked for anybody he worked for when he had a construction company 10 years before we started this one. None of those projects were substantial, and his last client before this company was 20 years ago

I did inherit a good name and hell of an education , but no "book of clients"

But yes, I network. I network like it's a job, because it is.

The old man didn't network, he didn't even know what that was probably until he went to work for the other Builder when he shut his own business down. He still does not network. But he doesn't need to. LOL

First thing he told me to do when I hooked up with him was joined the Builders Association and Chamber of Commerce. Best decision we've ever made was getting into networking

Wasn't thinking of you. I just know I started with nothing. No clients, no skills, no tools. I, personally, had a very hard time making money until I started allocating money and effort to marketing.

If I had been smarter I would have gotten more serious about the marketing sooner. It literally cost me hundreds of thousands in lost revenue over the first five years of operation. But it takes time to learn what you don't know and I wasn't fully committed to the self employed life. It was just to get by until I could find a job. Except I couldn't find a job that would support my family.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
Jaws (09-02-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 05:41 AM   #18

So if you could all solve one problem in your business, what would it be?
Old 09-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #19
The Sheriff

Better sources of Skilled labor

Overhead

John
BlueRidgeGreen (09-04-2018), Golden view (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #20
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 284

Quote:
That makes no sense I have 1 job that's nearing $60 grand labor only while doing other jobs at the same time. I'm turning down jobs and have 6 bids to work on. I'm basically a 1 man operation, something I chose and prefer.

My business has been WOM for 29 years. I built a reputation as an employee before that. I didn't have to build a business, it took off overnight, I built a reputation. I don't have to deal with tire kickers and problematic clients. Every one of my clients know another or several of my clients. They know what to expect but also know not to ***** with me.

I choose and plan to work as long as I can not because I have to.
Some people don't get it.

For some, mostly the younger generation, the entire goal of life is to not work. Guess they wouldn't have enjoyed The Garden of Eden very much.

I can't imagine not working, I'd be bored $h!tless. But then I don't play video games, do drugs, or yell at my mom from the basement to bring me meatloaf.

Advertisement

avenge (09-03-2018), Jaws (09-03-2018), META (09-04-2018), mrcat (09-03-2018), Robie (09-04-2018), SmallTownGuy (09-04-2018), Tom M (09-04-2018)