Tips To Increase Remodeling Project Profits - Page 4 - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Tips To Increase Remodeling Project Profits

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 06:58 PM   #61
Member
 
insighter242's Avatar
 
Trade: Roof
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 37
Rewards Points: 80

Re: Tips To Increase Remodeling Project Profits


Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
A client wouldn't say that to me, they already know something about me and have already seen my work in person, if they did I'd say "Bye-bye". I think you're confused you stated you use LVP because it looks high end instead of hardwood. I said there's no comparison but you can't seem to comprehend that, or anything it seems.
Looks like you conveniently ignored to answer the questions I posed. Ok so now that we established LVP is not junk , what is Junk for you ?can you give example

And you also conveniently ignored the fact that I clearly said - I chose LVP because it also met the functionality and needs. Looks like you have a great knack of seeing what you want to see.

And also you mentioned it in red , so it might be something very important , ha ha. But try not to make blanket statements , like "that is junk" ,"I am great " , "You are stupid "...

I am reiterating there IS Comparison ( may be I should highlight this is red ) between two materials used for flooring and I will leave it up to the readers to interpret my comprehension levels .
insighter242 is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 02-03-2019, 07:06 PM   #62
Member
 
insighter242's Avatar
 
Trade: Roof
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 37
Rewards Points: 80

Re: Tips To Increase Remodeling Project Profits


Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
Don't think the OP realizes the different types of remodeling contractors. He seems to be a gun-ho type that is a good salesman, going for volume from a broad net of marketing/lead sources. Which is fine.

It is not the word of mouth artisan-custom designbuild GC approach, that you and a number of others have. Efficiency being your end result is of a high quality and that stands as your product and sales pitch. Compromise on materials only waters down your brand. What your ideal and actual costumer base expects.

Successful Top end remodelers, LOL never started in the middle of the market and became successful in the high end demographic. If they did, they abandoned those middle level tactics for a much different set.

95% of my business is word of mouth , I will confess ( not that its bad ) that I did pay for some marketing , but i did not get the results I wanted . The marketing pro says that I have to continue for atleast 6 months to see benefits and he might be right . I just didn't have enough time to pursue /research that route .I will definitely come back and post here

I am always intrigued to learn more about different segments of customers , can you explain more about the ideal customer you mentioned. Especially when I try to extend my marketing campaign in future I want to target ideal customers , so it will help a lot .
insighter242 is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #63
Pro
 
Texas Wax's Avatar
 
Trade: Executor of special operations
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,910
Rewards Points: 1,780

Re: Tips To Increase Remodeling Project Profits


Quote:
Originally Posted by insighter242 View Post
The marketing pro says

, can you explain more about the ideal customer you mentioned.
You do realize, Marketing pro and explain (an) "Ideal customer" in the same paragraph is a bit of an oxymoron.

Assuming you meant Ideal in terms of high end. It's no secret but a very illusive demographic for most contractors to break into and more importantly continue to serve. **Wealthy people who'll throw money at you hand over fist** is the general working class definition. Who they are, what they want and how they want it delivered? That's all very local (often down to small areas and neighborhoods) and specific to your companies capabilities. You have to research and explore your local market to find out. No golden nugget covered brass ring exists.
__________________
...as the page loads, so go the days of our lives, at CT
Texas Wax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #64
Capra aegagrus

 
Tinstaafl's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,256
Rewards Points: 1,583

Re: Tips To Increase Remodeling Project Profits


Quote:
Originally Posted by insighter242 View Post
And also you mentioned it in red , so it might be something very important , ha ha.
Just to clear that up, some folks around here will intersperse their comments inside the quote of your post so they can be easily seen--rather than go through breaking up that single quote into multiples and replying separately to each fragment. IOW, the red wasn't for emphasis.

This thread has gotten bogged down with the whole "alternative materials" argument. If you can make your client happy by using less expensive materials--and passing those savings along to him, it's a win win situation. He got a better price, and you got a better reputation for saving him money.

While that doesn't directly garner more profit, it does contribute to increased business and possibly repeat engagements with the same client.

Having said that, if the client insists on a total crap product, many here (myself included) have a line they won't cross in that respect. You just can't get a reputation for doing high-quality work if the materials won't allow for it. And no one wants to warrant a job they know won't hold up well because of that.

You have requested and received input from some pretty experienced guys here, and then become combative about that advice. Take it or leave it. Your choice.
Tinstaafl is online now  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
avenge (02-03-2019), Calidecks (02-03-2019), griz (02-03-2019), hdavis (02-03-2019), Jaws (02-12-2019), Mordekyle (02-04-2019), Texas Wax (02-03-2019), tgeb (02-03-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #65
Member
 
insighter242's Avatar
 
Trade: Roof
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 37
Rewards Points: 80

Re: Tips To Increase Remodeling Project Profits


Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
You do realize, Marketing pro and explain (an) "Ideal customer" in the same paragraph is a bit of an oxymoron.

Assuming you meant Ideal in terms of high end. It's no secret but a very illusive demographic for most contractors to break into and more importantly continue to serve. **Wealthy people who'll throw money at you hand over fist** is the general working class definition. Who they are, what they want and how they want it delivered? That's all very local (often down to small areas and neighborhoods) and specific to your companies capabilities. You have to research and explore your local market to find out. No golden nugget covered brass ring exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by insighter242 View Post
95% of my business is word of mouth , I will confess ( not that its bad ) that I did pay for some marketing , but i did not get the results I wanted . The marketing pro says that I have to continue for atleast 6 months to see benefits and he might be right . I just didn't have enough time to pursue /research that route .I will definitely come back and post here

I am always intrigued to learn more about different segments of customers , can you explain more about the ideal customer you mentioned. Especially when I try to extend my marketing campaign in future I want to target ideal customers , so it will help a lot .
Ok I didn't mean anything when I asked about the ideal customer. I was just trying to understand what your version of "ideal customer" is. Because it can mean million things to million people

But Thanks for explaining and yeah no offense meant - but I am not interested in that guy who throws money at everything and the idea of pursuing that customer doesn't even excite me . ofcourse if a lead comes and he happens to fall in to that bracket , then yah , It will help because , there is no real budget constraint.
insighter242 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #66
Member
 
insighter242's Avatar
 
Trade: Roof
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 37
Rewards Points: 80

Re: Tips To Increase Remodeling Project Profits


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Just to clear that up, some folks around here will intersperse their comments inside the quote of your post so they can be easily seen--rather than go through breaking up that single quote into multiples and replying separately to each fragment. IOW, the red wasn't for emphasis.

This thread has gotten bogged down with the whole "alternative materials" argument. If you can make your client happy by using less expensive materials--and passing those savings along to him, it's a win win situation. He got a better price, and you got a better reputation for saving him money.

While that doesn't directly garner more profit, it does contribute to increased business and possibly repeat engagements with the same client.

Having said that, if the client insists on a total crap product, many here (myself included) have a line they won't cross in that respect. You just can't get a reputation for doing high-quality work if the materials won't allow for it. And no one wants to warrant a job they know won't hold up well because of that.

You have requested and received input from some pretty experienced guys here, and then become combative about that advice. Take it or leave it. Your choice.
Yep , you summed it up pretty nicely . But its not a surprise to see the 80% crap. Every forum has people who think -" Do I have anything useful to add or answer the qn , ohh I have nothing , by the way , let me find something in the post which I can interpret in the way I want , ohh , by the way it doesn't answer the qn or add value , who cares , let the word diarrhea start "

Also your summary of my thinking was fairly accurate with just one slight modification . It is profitable. Like I explained in one of the posts , if I solve a problem , and if the customer feels that I genuinely care , they don't penny pinch . Which means more margins.

About crap products : There are extremes in every approach . If I say that - drinking water is good , someone can come and say - drinking extreme amounts of water can kill you , which is true. Similarly trying to meet customers needs , based on the market does not equal to saying yes to everything . If you see the previous posts , you can clearly see that , some guys don't want to answer my questions , when I asked what they think is a quality product . Because they know that , what can be a quality product for you , can be a unacceptable product for some one else.

There was even one genius , who said that , the customer has to use what he dictates and he will refuse to install what the customer wants and what he thinks as inferior product . I could have literally died laughing at this . You go to buy a Toyota car and the guy at the dealer ship says - I won't sell the Toyota camry , you should buy the Range rover over there , Toyota camry is low quality and I refuse to sell you low quality stuff. so does a range rover has more quality , hell yes. But does the customer in qn need it , hell no. He can not afford , he doesn't want the additional features ( like rain activated wipers..lol) that range rover offers (and hey by the way , the wipers speed increases with rain intensity ) . Apparently this superstar contractor won't work for him as the customer did not use the product he chose.

Another guy says that I am a salesman type, who does volume, good at marketing and that I am not the word of mouth artisan custom build guy ... And the basis for these conclusions - nothing , its just his assumption after reading 4 posts of mine in a forum.

Coming to your last topic , of getting combative : You are free to define it in any way that you see fit , but I just responded appropriately - If some body is making assumptions and telling that I do subpar work and that I cut corners , I gave them the much deserved finger. Alternatively if you have read through the whole series , I have also thanked who genuinely tried to contribute . I don't have to agree with everything that they said , but they did not make assumptions or disrespect me , they tried their best to contribute .

By the way , do you have any tips/recommendations ?
insighter242 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 PM   #67
Capra aegagrus

 
Tinstaafl's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,256
Rewards Points: 1,583

Re: Tips To Increase Remodeling Project Profits


Quote:
Originally Posted by insighter242 View Post
By the way , do you have any tips/recommendations ?
Apparently you didn't entirely absorb what I wrote. Nope, nothing to add.
Tinstaafl is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:26 PM   #68
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 23,987
Rewards Points: 4,846

Re: Tips To Increase Remodeling Project Profits


The #1 way to increase profits is increase prices.
hdavis is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:29 PM   #69
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 16,454
Rewards Points: 4,058

Re: Tips To Increase Remodeling Project Profits


Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
The #1 way to increase profits is increase prices.
Now that's a plan I can get on board with.

Advertisement

__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
hdavis (02-12-2019)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Current Project livingsoulsdie Carpentry Picture Post 6 07-21-2012 10:14 PM
Next Project .....I need your 2 cents ccappaul General Discussion 10 06-09-2012 12:50 PM
Helpful tips for the EPAs new mandate Paulie Lead RRP Discussion 20 04-10-2011 11:56 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?