Swanstone Vs Veritek - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Swanstone Vs Veritek

Old 03-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,392

Swanstone Vs Veritek

For a tub to shower remodel. It'll be acrylic pan with tile walls.

Of course both are Swan - but what are the differences ? GBU on either ?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodel Contractor
Rewards Points: 852

Re: Swanstone Vs Veritek

Swanstone is the solid surface material, color/finish runs through the material....can even be sanded if scratched.
Veritek is their trademark name for their "plastic" pan with a gelcoat finish. Scratches etc basically ruin it as they get through the protective coating and into the porous material below.

Worth the extra cost to get the solid surface IMO

What is GBU? Probably typo for CBU...you can install your tile substrate/tile the same way for either base.

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,392

Thanks. the solid surface is only about 125 addl. Thanks for that info. its what i was looking for.

GBU is good, bad and ugly for a product
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling/specializing in kitchen & baths
Rewards Points: 578

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsconstructs View Post
Swanstone is the solid surface material, color/finish runs through the material....can even be sanded if scratched.
Veritek is their trademark name for their "plastic" pan with a gelcoat finish. Scratches etc basically ruin it as they get through the protective coating and into the porous material below.

Worth the extra cost to get the solid surface IMO

What is GBU? Probably typo for CBU...you can install your tile substrate/tile the same way for either base.
Its misleading to call Swanstone " solid surface ". There's a glass thru the center of the product. Can sand? Touch it with even 320 and that area's greatly different than the surrounding material. The surface is peaks and valley's so sanding hits the peaks and leaves the valley's producing a mottled look. We fabricated kitchen/bath counters for a few years so I used to work with it a lot. I remember having to buy 5' panels for 4' showers. Theres better systems. Heres one
http://www.onyxcollection.com/
Old 04-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
Pro

That's how they refer to it is solid surface. I know I've been able to sand out light scratches with no issues.

I have a local manufacturer that I get onyx/marble...cast granite from. Have installed a ton if it over the years...it's downfall is the clear coat/gel coat but if cleaned/cared for properly holds up great. Onyx is beautiful but don't know that I'd call it a better product.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling/specializing in kitchen & baths
Rewards Points: 578

Quote:
That's how they refer to it is solid surface. I know I've been able to sand out light scratches with no issues.

I have a local manufacturer that I get onyx/marble...cast granite from. Have installed a ton if it over the years...it's downfall is the clear coat/gel coat but if cleaned/cared for properly holds up great. Onyx is beautiful but don't know that I'd call it a better product.
You can lightly sand because its on a wall. Try laying it down like a counter and check it. The manufacture I linked to gives a lifetime no holes warranty. Swanstone wiggled out of any problems we had. The onyx collection system is so well thought-out that with walls reasonably true you could set the walls and never trim a panel less boring the faucet. I'm glad you like Swan products, are you setting the textured panels?
Old 04-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
Pro

I haven't installed the textured panels as of yet.
I'm not much of a fan of the Veritek but the swanstone sure thing, except for their vanity tops are kind of strange.

Yep, quite similar between the onyxcollection and the local manufacturer I use. I do drive slightly further than another place I could get it from because of their warranty.
Except for the shower bases....swanstone is actually pretty rare here, but the marbles/onyx is used enough to support several somewhat local manufacturers. Lots of showers built with a combination of the two, swan bases with marble/onyx walls.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: home remodel/repair
Rewards Points: 26

Quote:
...it's downfall is the clear coat/gel coat but if cleaned/cared for properly holds up great.
My local manufacturer just recommends automotive wax buffed on to bring back the gloss.
Your local guy doesn't make shower bases??
Old 04-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneelkn View Post
My local manufacturer just recommends automotive wax buffed on to bring back the gloss.
Your local guy doesn't make shower bases??
Yes my local guy makes shower bases and tubs (even jetted)
And yes you can help keep the gloss with auto wax/or the actual gel coat product which is really just wax.

Considering the OP was asking about which swan base to use with tile walls is what started the conversation....I will say that I personally wouldn't consider using a marble/onyx pan with with a tile surround...maybe just my preference.

Kind of an aside, I am wrapping up a master bath shower this week using swanstone base with 2cm quartz panels to the ceiling for the surround. I install any of the other panels myself but the quartz suppliers handle those installs. They did put a scratch in the base but you can't even tell now.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: home remodel/repair
Rewards Points: 26

I've only done one with a granite base and tile surround. Just needed to have taller tiles to cover the outer edge of the base. Actually looked pretty good.
The Following User Says Thank You to goneelkn For This Useful Post:
dsconstructs (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #11
Pro

Looks wise, especially with the granite no doubt it would look good.

I'd just prefer to use the solid base in case I scratched it up installing tile or grouting The swan bases come in colors similar to the cast granite.
And being honest.....I can get the swan bases for a bit less than I can the cast granite bases, about the same as onyx.
My local guys have pricing tiers lowest to highest being marble, onyx and granite.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to dsconstructs For This Useful Post:
goneelkn (04-08-2015)