Sloped Ceiling In A Steam Shower - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Sloped Ceiling In A Steam Shower

Old 07-25-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Interior Remodeling

Trade: Interior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 570

Sloped Ceiling In A Steam Shower

I have a question on how much slope is needed on a ceiling in a shower that is going to have a steam unit installed? The shower itself is 5'x5'. The tile company we are getting tile from is telling me min. 1" per ft. This just sounds a little drastic. Wanted to get opinions on this before I proceed. Also I think it may look a bit odd too walking in and seeing that much slope on the ceiling with the tile lines, because we are doing a 4" marble "border" about 12" from the ceiling at its lowest point. Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Professional Remodeler

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Sloped Ceiling In A Steam Shower

Hey Eric,

It depends on who you talk to. Most contractors I know don't slope the ceiling in residential steam showers, especially smaller ones like yours, as it takes roughly 45 minutes for enough water to condense to start dripping, and generally a steam shower is less than that, most recommend 15 to 20 minutes maximum.

Some contractors say a minumum slope of 2" per foot, prefering to slope with the shortest dimension. I have done a few steam showers, only one was requested to be sloped, none of the level ones have ever had a problem with condensation dripping that I have heard about, as I continue to do work for most of the people.

My last house had a steam shower, tile ceiling, no slope, and never a problem. A friend has one with a slope, his complaint is that as the water starts to condense, it runs down the tile to the grout joints, collects along the edge of the tile, and starts dripping from them versus a level ceiling being flat and the condensation being more evenly distrubuted and taking longer to form droplets. If you had a flat surface material like Corian or such, the slope might be useful as it can run all the way to the wall, but it doesn't seem to make much difference with tile and grout joints.

Then there is the look of the tile as well. You would have a 5" to 10" drop across the shower depending on what slope you choose, do you have the headroom to do that? And the look of the wall tiles cut at the angle of the sloped ceiling along with the marble, how will that look?

Advertisement

Last edited by firemike; 07-26-2007 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 07-25-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
Interior Remodeling

Trade: Interior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 570

The overall look is what Im worried about. The shower has 8' ceiling in it. Im just going to have to have the HO make the call. Present the pros and cons then let him decide. Thanks for the insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
Trowel Monkey

Trade: Tile & Stone Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Hi Eric,
The Tile Council of North America says "minimum 2" per foot". Not putting a slope in a steam shower lid is negligence. Doesn't make a bit of difference if it's a commercial spa or a residential unit at the Summer house you never use. Build it like it's gonna be used, because that's what we get paid for. If they can't afford it being built right, then they simply can't afford it at all. Next!
Aesthetically, that's another ball game. The pitch makes it nearly impossible to run continuous joints through the ceiling, though I have cut down stone to align joints and that's worked well in the past. The easiest solution is a border with a diagonal panel on the ceiling or to use a different dimension entirely. I've put mosaic on lids and that looked nice too.
Shaughnn
Certified Wedi Corp. installer
Old 08-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Angus

Trade: Owner: Flooring Store

"The Tile Council of North America says "minimum 2" per foot". Not putting a slope in a steam shower lid is negligence. Doesn't make a bit of difference if it's a commercial spa or a residential unit at the Summer house you never use. Build it like it's gonna be used, because that's what we get paid for. If they can't afford it being built right, then they simply can't afford it at all. Next!
Aesthetically, that's another ball game. The pitch makes it nearly impossible to run continuous joints through the ceiling, though I have cut down stone to align joints and that's worked well in the past. The easiest solution is a border with a diagonal panel on the ceiling or to use a different dimension entirely. I've put mosaic on lids and that looked nice too." Shaughnn

This is correct. And we ALWAYS put shower, steam shower ceilings on point. The customer will never be happy the other way.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
Trowel Monkey

Trade: Tile & Stone Contractor

And now is my opportunity to eat a little crow.
Got a call to look at a project yesterday and I'll probably try to get it. It's the kind of installation that ends up in magazines and I'd like the challenge as well as the portfolio shots. But here's the rub; the client and GC are both very clear that the lid-pitch is going to be very slight. Probably less that 1" per foot if they have their way. I said my peace about required pitch and the GC was sympathetic but said that the client wants otherwise and that they will both sign off on the reduced pitch, so do I slip my conscience into my pocket on this one or do I just push for the recommended pitch????
Yup, I'll send them numbers for the shower they want and not the one I would prefer to build. Just goes to show you that as soon as you get up on your high horse, it's time to climb back down and take a squat.
Cheers,
Shaughnn
Certified Wedi Corp. installer
Old 08-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
Mdaniels

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling Fairfax Kitchen Remodeling Virginia

Maybe vaulting the ceiling would look good and still give you the pitch. I like to do curved archways with bullnose corner bead in some of my projects.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #8

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
"The Tile Council of North America says "minimum 2" per foot". Not putting a slope in a steam shower lid is negligence. ..." Shaughnn

This is correct. And we ALWAYS put shower, steam shower ceilings on point. The customer will never be happy the other way.
How many of you have used a steam shower? I was recently in a commercial spa steam room with a perfect tiled ceiling sloped at 2:12. As mentioned in another post, the drips all lined up neatly along the grout lines perpendicular to the slope, and rained down from there. (That being said, they weren't all that frequent, or uncomfortable).

It is pure negligence to charge a client for something that is unnecessary, just because the "Council" says so.

Unless someone can provide a better reason than "because they said so," I can't imagine frivolously adding unnecessary complexity to a job.

Perhaps sloping would be ok without the horizontal grout lines, but I would really like to know the real reasons, and exactly under what conditions they apply.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:14 AM   #9
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

Zombie Thread...after 7 1/2 years...that is a record in my books.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
Walraven (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,476

That sure is, but in any case The ceiling must slope at least 2 minimum per foot to prevent water from dripping on steam room occupants (per Tile Council of North America recommendations). The floor should be pre-pitched (prior to the installation of the shower pan liner) at the rate of 1/4" per foot toward the drain... not to mention have to meet all the plumbing codes and ASTM approved materials should be used for liners, etc.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:52 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 96

Well since this dead post is alive, I'll throw my 2 cents in. I agree with firemikes opinion. Steam showers is where I disagree with TCNA the most. There should be a residential recommendation and a commercial recommendation. The pitch is excessive, imo. And it's a recommendation, not a "Steam Shower Law."

Advertisement