Replacing To Energy Efficient Windows - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

Replacing To Energy Efficient Windows

Old 04-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #1

Trade: plumbing
Rewards Points: 2

Replacing To Energy Efficient Windows

Our utility bill has gone up and thatís when we are thought replacing all doors and windows to energy efficient doors and windows. I read a lot of blogs like
http://canglow.ca/5-under-appreciate...cient-windows/ , http://www.turnbackthetide.ca/unders...l#.Vx7k3tJ95pg wherein most of them highlights the advantages of having an energy efficient windows. The disadvantage that most of them mentioned is the only the initial cost involved in installing the windows. Before we proceed ahead and install them, is there anything more we should know about windows? And how about triple glazed windows? Does it cost even more?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,290

Re: Replacing To Energy Efficient Windows

Dunno. Ask your contractor instead of blogging about it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement

SmallTownGuy (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 412

Buy a PV solar system and have it installed. No more electric energy bill! (Or at least only tier 1) Solar thermal is viable for many people too. Heater replacement could also be an option for efficiency.

Increasing energy rates is the norm. Here it effectively doubles every 10 years.

Nothing wrong with upgrading windows as they will make a huge difference. So will sealing the top plates to drywall. Sealing up all electrical outlets, light switches, etc. Upgrading insulation. A thermal scan and pressure test would be revealing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,788

Personally I think if you are replacing good sealing to energy ones think you are going to be a little disappointed. The ads of saving up to 30% on heating bill by replacing them is a lot of sales talk. I have always be told windows are a very slow pay back item. By the way some one show me real proof I will change my thinking. When I sell windows I sell the need of replacement, poor sealing, rotting out , things like that. Not that they are going to save them a bunch of money.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
hdavis (06-22-2017), madrina (09-23-2016), META (09-13-2016), Peter_C (04-28-2016), ScipioAfricanus (04-28-2016), SmallTownGuy (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
Personally I think if you are replacing good sealing to energy ones think you are going to be a little disappointed. The ads of saving up to 30% on heating bill by replacing them is a lot of sales talk.
Some years back I worked for a GC who did a lot of Lowe's work, so I got quite a bit of experience at replacing windows & doors. Often that was a foot in the door (so to speak) for other work, so I had a chance to hear feedback after the windows were in for a season or two.

I got the comment that the new windows didn't make a lot of difference much more often than that they did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Peter_C (04-28-2016), Randy Bush (04-28-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 5,270

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
hdavis (06-22-2017), Peter_C (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post

More truth then fiction in that one. Lol

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,742

I always tell people to not expect a difference in their utility bill. There will be some, but probably not enough to notice.

What I do tell them is to expect the window to seal up good and stop drafts, work properly, and it will make the house quieter.

Replacement windows are more about quality of life and not a big money saver.

I don't think you will see a difference in your bill using standard double pane, so you can imagine what I think about triple pane.

The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
Philament (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #9
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd0 View Post
Our utility bill has gone up and thatís when we are thought replacing all doors and windows to energy efficient doors and windows. I read a lot of blogs like
http://canglow.ca/5-under-appreciate...cient-windows/ , http://www.turnbackthetide.ca/unders...l#.Vx7k3tJ95pg wherein most of them highlights the advantages of having an energy efficient windows. The disadvantage that most of them mentioned is the only the initial cost involved in installing the windows. Before we proceed ahead and install them, is there anything more we should know about windows? And how about triple glazed windows? Does it cost even more?
Are you originally from Romania?

Andy.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post

Here in FL they got a/c systems that pay for them selves
Old 09-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 246

I had one customer that kept track of fuel after the project. We installed replacements on the entire house. We stripped the siding, added 1/2" fan fold and vinyl. Taped and foamed everything and did a tight job.

His average the 5 years prior was between $2,400 to $2,800 for a season of oil. The first winter after the project was $1,800 and it was a warm winter. For the 30k project it will never pay for itself and I tell people this.

They couldn't be happier, the curb appeal is night and day, much less drafty in the winter. They have been there 20 years and enjoy the renovation. I would never sell a window or door as something that will pay for itself.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe Pro For This Useful Post:
EricBrancard (09-13-2016), hdavis (06-22-2017), META (09-13-2016), Randy Bush (09-14-2016), Rio (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 12:55 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,290

I think a lot of it has to do with the house you are starting with. A small millhouse will react very well to fanfold, properly installed vinyl windows and vinyl siding.

A more open rambling house like we live in, with a myriad of drafts, attic spaces, open crawlspaces, etc. will be different. There a lot of things that need done instead of just windows.

I have done houses where the people immediately felt the house tighten up and stay warmer as we did each room. I think a lot of it has to do with stopping the drafts, so it feels a lot cozier. Whether it really helps a lot with heating bills, maybe maybe not. But yeah, to save 300 a year after a 25,000 dollar exterior remodel, nope. Won't ever really pay off. Especially if the power company keeps raising rates. Though, just feeling more comfortable, is usually worth it.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:16 AM   #13

Trade: Remoldeling
Rewards Points: 10

Low E vs single pane. I'd go low E Everytime. There is a difference in these two types. But the wow factor will not show if your home is not up to par with insulation. If your walls are rated @ R-15 or below forget replacements unless there is a call for it.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #14
New Guy

Trade: Home Builder
Rewards Points: 982

There's very little cost savings using energy efficient windows. Most of the heating and cooling energy required is affected by how effective your wall insulation is. I don't really think it's worth the investment.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by lge77 View Post
There's very little cost savings using energy efficient windows. Most of the heating and cooling energy required is affected by how effective your wall insulation is. I don't really think it's worth the investment.
Depending on the build of the house, I would probably put air sealing ahead of and above insulation for improved comfort and energy savings.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Stop For This Useful Post:
Mordekyle (06-27-2017)